You asked and we answered! A few weeks ago, reader Amberley suggested we compile a list of Black-Owned Clothing Stores so we can #BuyBlack all year round and not just once a year. After hundreds of comments on Instagram, Facebook, and right here on the site, we have compiled the first installment of our directory with 25 Fabulous Black Owned Clothing Boutiques you can shop!
Check them out below:
- Exodus Goods (518 Conti St, New Orleans, LA 70130; (504) 309-2995).
Exodus Goods is filled with stylish clothing threads, bold accents for all those making a statement, and curated collections of contemporary lifestyle goods for all needs.
Co-owned by Solange Knowles, the store has a laid back vibe, with a focus on outstanding quality. Shop it up at ExodusGoods.com.
- Garb (2108 Magazine St, New Orleans, LA 70130; (504) 301-9174).
Toya Wright owns this trendy boutique, which sells apparel, shoes, and accessories for the fashion-conscious woman. With a moderate price range, you can shop stylishly without breaking the budget on their site shopgarbboutique.com.
- Meow and Barks Boutique (1537 San Marco Blvd, Jacksonville, FL 32207; (904) 704-8222)
If you’re looking for something glam, this may be the place for you! They specialize in sizzly sparkly tops, look-at me dresses, and hot accessories, and the price points are super affordable.
Plus they were the one’s who supplied Claire this beautiful fringed dress for her Cocktails With Claire ATL event.
Shop their wares at MeowandBarksBoutique.StoreEveny.com.
- Violet Flower Boutique (500 Madison St #105, Nashville, TN 37208; (615) 457-1432) Spotted right in Nashville, this boutique boasts up-and-coming designers with a bit of edge. You can find everything from chic contemporary, party eveningwear to classic staple pieces to boost your wardrobe.Check out their fabulous looks at www.violetflower.boutique
- Tags (225, 2140 Peachtree St NW, Atlanta, GA 30309; (404) 883-3836) Armed with Real Housewife Kandi Burruss’s experience in the entertainment industry, Tags has now become a hotspot for trendy dresses, blouses, and separates for the girl with curves.Come see what TAGS has to offer on their site tagsatl.com.
- Michelle New York (376 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11217; (718) 643-1680) A contemporary women’s boutique located right in Brooklyn, Michelle Fields’ boutique offers a variety of clothing for the fashionable Brooklynite: white tees, blazers and chunky gold necklaces, stylish accessories (like Claire’s hat below!) perfectly mixing basics and work appropriate, after five, cocktails, and also black tie. Fields designs about a quarter of the store’s collection with bright colors and creative patterns. And when that perfect day comes, you can shop the bridal collection where they have a selection of gowns at various price points.
Check out their site michellenewyork.com.
- Harlem Haberdashery (245 Malcolm X Blvd, New York, NY 10027; (646) 707-0070) Drawing from the rich cultural history and style of the Harlem Renaissance while adding a touch of glam to designs, this Haberdasherry provides affordable classic silhouettes that are one of a kind. If you’re in need of a beautiful dress or gown for a special event, this Haberdashery offers limitless possibilities for that special moment, PLUS they’ve been spotlighted as one of our FashionBomb TV Boutiques. Check it out below:
- Levine’s Boutique (5510 W. Center St Milwaukee, WI 53210; (414) 459-1123) Just like their motto states, this understated boutique provides consignment and like-new threads for every fashionista in every price range. See what they have on levinesboutique.com
- Gideon’s Needle (221 Haledon Ave, Paterson, NJ 07522; (862)-336-1739) This lifestyle brand specializes in designing and making authentic African clothing designs. You can find women’s and men’s clothing paired with headwraps, bowties and pocketsquares. Take a look on their website www.gideonsneedle.com
- PinkSkyBoutique (880 Glenwood Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30316;(404)549-7047) Definitely a favorite for many of you, PinkSkyBoutique provides designer labels in the form of women’s wear, footwear and stylish jewelry and accessories.
Specializing in affordable fashion apparel, accessories and footwear, they offer both classics and trends.
If you’re looking to be effortless chic, this boutique has a sizeable collection of new arrivals that are indisputably unique. See more at www.pinkskyboutique.com
- Taylor Jay Exclusives (3843 MacArthur Blvd. Oakland, CA phone; (818) 916 – 8732) There’s an array of jumpsuits, skirts and cardigans, so any woman can feel beautiful and confident in their clothing without baring total skin. In fact, they’ve been featured on our site before! A collection geared toward modernity, modesty and femininity, this store focuses on the melding of all dimensions of womanhood and finding something that can fit any woman for every need. While looking at the collection, you’ll find bold colors, flowy silhouettes and a retro-inspired feel with prices in a modest range from $80-$115.If you want to pick out some cool threads, check them out www.taylorjaycollection.com.
- The Brownstone (24 East 125th Street,Harlem, NY 10035; (212) 996 7980 ) The lifestyle boutique focuses on dressing women in ethnically inspired fashion with supreme taste. With contemporary designer clothing, it offers its clients a distinctively private shopping experience for customer sizes 12-20 seeking quality, value and most of all customer service. Jeweled silk shirts, ankh-encrusted wash clothes, and clothing from all around the world grace their walls; of course they’ve been feautured by other notable outlets including The New York Times, Black Enterprise, and many more. Check out their collections over on their site www.thebrownstonewoman.com.
- Ehvonnae (145 Front Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 AND 160 Orchard Street, New York, NY 10002; (718)-310-3686) Ehvonnae stocks fashion-forward, casual-chic clothing and accessories, their clientele boasts of women who strive for effortless chic while exuding confidence in what she wears.
- FunkyFlairBoutique (3020 Canton Rd – Marietta, GA 30066; (770)-419-3606) Bringing flair and fashion to Marietta, FunkyFlairBoutique offers unique and affordable clothing, shoes, handbags, and accessories for statement-making women. They boast the latest trends as well as timeless pieces to compliment any wardrobe need. They made their face definitely known when they came to the Cocktails With Claire ATL event, and have remained a staple on our boutiques watch list with clean, crisp clothing right for any woman.
- MeloDrama Boutique (5306 Almeda Road, Houston, Texas 77004;(713)523.1608) Houston’s premiere high fashion women’s clothing and accessories boutique. Melodrama has been a favorite among Houston’s fashionistas, savvy career women and stylish socialites. The boutique calls itself a “sisterhood,” bring women together through entrepreneurship, entertainment and fashion. With weekend social extravaganzas, and a concerted effort to promote emerging businesses, check out their site melodramaboutique.com
- House of Fashion Boutique (8522 W Brown Deer Road, Milwaukee, WI 53223; (414)-368-3018) HoF boasts affordable wears geared toward the woman looking for an exclusive look at an affordable price. You’ll find a plethora of bodycon dresses, matching sets and trendy pieces all in your price range at their site houseoffashiononline.bigcartel.com.
- SARAH KUENYEFU collection (1510 E. 63rd St, Chicago, IL 60637;(773) 324-6858) This boutique focuses on helping women seeking comfortability and stylish clothing flattering to their silhouette. With quality fabrics and excellent worksmanship, SKC creates organic designs with a mix of African heritage and Western influence.They also get jewelry straight from the Motherland, readily available for purchase at reasonable prices. So if you want that one-of-a-kind piece nobody has (and is from overseas), then you’ll want to check them out over at skccollection.com
- Sofistafunk the Skirt Parlor (*By appointment only* 476 Bloomfield Ave, Verona, NJ; (917)-566-5900)Bold, feminine and ultra versatile, the designs explore the alliances between the Elizabethan era through the Victorian period, and on to the late forties, creating a contemporary yet couture aesthetic.While their full line includes an assortment of women’s pieces, skirts are their primary focus, influenced by the earlier days of women’s fashion dosed with vintage appeal. Offering one-of-a-kind clothing (who else is selling Victorian style skirts?), this boutique also takes an environmental stand by re-purposing 99% of their silk, cotton and wool. So unique and eco-friendly! Check them out on hello.sofistafunk.com
- Nobody Jones Boutique (5593 W. Pico Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90019; (323)291-7177) A true force of will, this boutique was originally burned down in a fire. However, they’ve risen back to the top as one of LA’s most enviable boutiques, specializing in contemporary high fashion looks that are versatile and affordable.With ready-to-wear contemporary clothing and accessories at affordable prices, this boutique has attracted celebrity clientele in the past including Wendy Raquel Robinson of The Game, R&B group En Vogue and Lisa Raye to name a few. Their affordable collection is on the website www.nobodyjones.la
- MsSocialButterfly (110D East Butler Rd, Mauldin SC 29662; (864)247-2192) This boutique keeps in mind women of all shapes and sizes. Find trendy, off-runway looks at this boutique that specializes in creating clothes for all demographics and pocket ranges.Not ONLY have they appeared on the Steve Harvey Show, but their clothes have been spotted on a variety of women in media, including Deelishis, Miracle Watts, and Fantasia.To grab something for your next big night out, check them out at www.mssocialbutterfly.com
- Lettie Gooch (1921 8th Street NW,Suite 110,Washington, DC 20001; (202)-332-4242)
Right in the nation’s capitol, this independent women’s boutique features an eclectic mix of emerging designers and a hand-picked collection of wearable and well-made pieces.
With eco-friendly knits and ‘wearable art’ accessories, this boutique offers garments for every occasion with a bombshell accessory to go along with it.Head to www.lettiegooch.com to check out what’s on the site.
- Lux Monroe Boutique (5353 W Alabama St Ste 101, Houston, TX 77056; (832) 901-2612)
Let all your friend imagine you’ve paid so much more for your one-of-a-kind outfit by shopping at Lux Monroe Boutique. Providing both timeless and trendy wares, this boutique presents an upscale experience for only a fraction of the cost.
This boutique showroom not only provides women’s clothing, but also offers hair extensions as well as consignment opportunities for anyone looking to clear some space in their closet. Stop in for complimentary champagne during showings, as well as personalized shopping sessions and wardrobe styling.
Explore the various possibilities (and clothing styles) on luxmonroeboutique.com
- Show & Tell (1427 Broadway Oakland, CA ;(510)-463-4964) A cool boutique if you’re looking for one of a kind pieces; including clothes, jewelry and body. The coolest part? This boutique sells things specifically from other local artists, so it helps promote businesses, artistry, and brands that work in that area. You know you’ll score something unique here! Here you’ll find jewelry and attention-given accessories crafted by local artisans, perfecting and producing their craft for the sheer consumer.Not only will you find eclectic jewelry pieces, but you’ll also find body soaps, washes, and scents for all of your luxuriating needs. For info, head to their website showandtelloakland.com
- DetroitIsTheNewBlack (52 E. Forest Avenue, Detroit, MI; (313) 355-2201) If you’re a fan of minimalism and neutrals, this is the place to go. Clean cut and functional in their clothing, the brand is also dedicated to the strength of the city of Detroit; it promotes the resiliency of the city through a brand that seeks to embody it as well.
This brand’s owner is nobody new, however: Clothing designer Tracy Reese (the same one whose dressed First Lady Michelle Obama) returned to Detroit and started this pop-up boutique that gears to also provide one-of-a-kind runway pieces that will be available only in Detroit, evening wear and items from her more affordable lines.
Tracy Reese has dressed some of the best in the business. See what you can score online at www.detroitisthenewblack.com
- Pressed (3500 Peachtree Rd NE #2020e, Atlanta, GA 30326; (404) 330-8932)Although it’s been less than one year since the opening, LHHATL reality star Rasheeda Frost’s store Pressed is a much-raved about boutique in Atlanta. The high-end, luxurious store offers an affinity of women’s clothing, accessories and shoes.Aside from Rasheeda rocking her threads on Instagram, tons of celebrities and ATL shoppers support the brand for its diversity, variety in jewelry and clothing options, as well as manageable price point. Whether you’re looking at rocking an outfit during the day or something elegant and night-time worthy, you’re bound to find the latest trends available at this up-and-coming boutique that has gained a lot of publicity both on and off the screen.
To take a look at what’s offered in this boutique, check out the site www.imbossy.com