April 14th, 2009
Celebrity Style, Style File
Style File: Janelle Monae

Hey!
So while I was on vacay with my sis, she couldn’t stop talking about Janelle Monae:

janelle-monae

Apparently the Bad Boy crooner is initiating a new soul and fashion movement down south, and I figured, why not look at her style?

janelle-monae-blazer-1

Janelle makes waves with menswear inspired blazers and neckties, all topped off with her signature pompadour hairstyle.

janelle-monae-blazers

A fan of the London aesthetic, Janelle favors riding boots, high waisted pants, and crested, tailored jackets worn with simple accessories like button clip on earrings and pearl studs.

janelle-monae-1

For most events, Janelle sticks to classic black and white, down to her Oxfords, socks, and sunglasses…

janelle-monae-casual

But brings in splashes of color for more casual commitments with tie neck blouses, scarfs, and vintage handbags.

How cute is she?

Get a Janelle Monae aura with these 12 items:

Posted In
8 comments

8 Responses to “Style File: Janelle Monae”

1. Natalie says:

She is so beautiful, even with the menswear aesthetic her face makes her maintain femininity

I love Janelle! Thanks for the post Claire!
    T

3. I love Janelle Monae. I’ve been following her for a while now and I’m just inspired by her fashion, voice, and energy. She’s a unique individual who doesn’t conform to what mainstream thinks is hot. What a great post!

4. Sincerely Jane says:

Finally! I have been waiting for you all to do a style file on Miss Monae!! She definitely is an individual who does whatever she feels, from her music down to her fashion!

5. Stacked says:

Thank You Claire! I love this girl, great voice, great style and very original too!

6. toi says:

I have been a Janelle Fan for a lil over 2years now. I love that she’s getting some exposure. She is a wonderful artist. She actually has integrity behind her music. and she’s not using her behind to sell records. Thanx for the post claire.

7. ashley says:

i love JM! btw if anyone was wondering where to get that vintage parisian suitcase janelle is sporting in the last pic, you can pick one up at homegoods! i have one in my room for decorative purposes, very cute.

8. kat says:

lol, she was once really rude to my younger sister and I haven’t been able to stand the sound of her voice since. Not to taint anyone’s opinion, I bet she’s a great artist and I do like that she’s not going the tramp route with her style.