February 28th, 2014
Claire's Life, Fashion News, Style Diary

So I flew back from Milan a couple days ago to attend Essence Magazine’s Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon in LA. Lincoln Motor Company was kind enough to have me in the building to report on the festivities!
claire sulmers demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt fashion bomb daily claire sulmers essence black women in hollywood luncheon 2014
This year was epic. In addition to meeting Lupita Nyong’o (when I told her I’m the editor of Fashion Bomb Daily, she replied, “Oh yeah! Hot! or Hmm…?”)…
lupita nyongo essence black women in hollywood claire sulmers 2014 giambattista valli demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias skirt
…I also met Oprah Winfrey!
claire sulmers fashion bomb daily oprah winfrey essence black women in hollywood 2014 lincoln motor company
Aaaaaah!!!
Of course everyone loves Oprah, but I truly look up to her as a business woman. She’s a game changing media maven who has thrived in an industry full of adversity. Who wouldn’t want to emulate her career path or bask in her glory?
oprah essence black women in hollywood 2014 beverly hills hotel
I have similar goals for Fashion Bomb Daily. TV (why not?), and an expansion of the brand. Being in the room with such powerful people made it all seem possible!
essence black women in hollywood 2014 claire Sulmers fashion bomb dailyu
I got my outfit together super last minute because I haven’t really had time to shop! Thankfully I purchased a lot of pieces from Demestiks by Reuben Reuel for New York Fashion Week, including his Kait Bias peplum skirt:
Essence Magazine's 7th Annual Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon, Sponsored by Lincoln Motor Company demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt claire sulmers 2014 gianvito rossi leather and perspex pumps
I paired it with an on trend crop top from American Apparel, my Gianvito Rossi Leather and Perspex pumps, and my CC Skye Vaulted clutch.
Though Essence Women in Hollywood and the Oscars fall right during Paris Fashion Week, I’m glad I had the opportunity to come back stateside. The event serves to highlight all the fabulous things African-Americans have done and can do in entertainment. It’s sometimes difficult to be encouraged in a fashion industry that claims racism isn’t an issue, yet unapologetically and systematically excludes black women; and when you take issue, they say you have issues instead of the other way around!
celine fall 2013 final walk no black models
At any rate, my soul was fed, and I’ll happily attend every year, should Lincoln and Essence have me.
I hope you’re encouraged, also. Our potential is limitless, just have faith that all things are possible.
See a few of my personal pictures below:

claire sulmers demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt fashion bomb daily essence black women in hollywood 2014 tatiana ali tatyana ali tai beauchamp tasha smith
Tai Beauchamp and Tasha Smith
claire sulmers demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt fashion bomb daily essence black women in hollywood 2014 tatiana ali tatyana ali shaun thompson bevy smith
Shawn Thompson of Lincoln and Bevy Smith

claire sulmers demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt fashion bomb daily essence black women in hollywood 2014 tatiana ali tatyana ali tichina arnold
Tichina Arnold in an Alpana Neeraj Dress
claire sulmers demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt fashion bomb daily bevy smith emil wilbekin legendary damon
With Legendary Damon, Essence’s Emil Wilbekin and Bevy Smith
claire sulmers demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt fashion bomb daily garcelle beauvais karen civil
With Garcelle Beauvais and Karen Civil
claire sulmers demestiks by reuben reuel kait bias peplum skirt fashion bomb daily essence black women in hollywood 2014 tatiana ali tatyana ali joy bryant
Joy Bryant
Tatyana Ali
blogger lincoln motor company karen civil talking with tami sekou writes claire sulmers luxe tips 2014 essence women in hollywood 2014
Blogging Buddies Karen Civil, Talking with Tami, Sekou Writes, and Luxe Tips

Photos: My Iphone (fuzzy ones) and Mark Martin (crystal clear ones).
9  Essence Magazine's 7th Annual Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon, Sponsored by Lincoln Motor Company claire sulmers demetiks by reuben reuel gianvito rossi leather and perspex cc skye clutch la mark martin latrice michelle

48 Responses to “Claire’s Life: Essence Magazine’s 7th Annual Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon, Sponsored by Lincoln Motor Company”

1. The truth says:

I love it all! So happy that you got this opportunity and that it further inspired you to grow FBD. And you look great from head to toe!

I never comment but I love your blog. Your truly an inspiration. You’ve come so far. Best wishes babe xx.

3. Lena says:

Everyone looks so BEAUTIFUL. And you meet my idol, Oprah. I am dying right now lol. This is probably one of m favorites outfits by you, you are so gorgeous!

4. Dee says:

Claire you look SO radiant! I love this look & thanks for sharing about the event. I was going ham on your IG yesterday with all the great shots of the amazing people there for the luncheon lol. It was so inspiring Xo

5. MsClassic says:

This gives me so much inspiration this morning!! Happy for you Claire!!

6. jeda says:

Yes Yes YESSS!!!! Gave me tons of birthday outfit ideas!!!
    Blessings

7. fly won says:

so inspiring. Just when ya consider giving up…you see posts like this

8. Finally says:

Claireeee!!! I usually think that your outfits are not laudable but today, I’ll give praise where it’s due. You look soo nice :).

9. You look lovely!
    Everyone looks great, I think you’re well on your way to making your dreams come true. xx

10. JayEliz says:

Claire, you look amazzzzzing!!!

11. Trina says:

Best post i seen in a while, inspiring, humble, and you look fab. Time for me to do my writing thing and fashion thing too!

12. K. Nicole says:

Thanks for the recap and you looked AMAZING!

13. Miss Medusa says:

I’m tryna work for you, Claire!

14. mskny says:

you look awesome! Love the whole outfit – simple chic with a great impact!

15. mnrodgers says:

Claire, you look so amazing…this might be the best thing ive ever seen on you…you are GLOWING! high end, low end…believable and comfortable and classy…its perfect…you. look. perfect.

16. Ashley says:

Love this outfit Claire :)

17. Marsha says:

Thank you for the inspirational post! Keeping fighting the good fight. You look great!

18. Valentine says:

You definitely look more Hot than Hmmm ;-)

I love this outfit on you!
    Too bad I missed you in Milan

xx

19. Enigma says:

Claire you look FABULOUS!From head to toe, one of my favorite fits from you. I’ve been here from the start and will continue to in the future. Keep up the good work!

20. peplum lover says:

I love your ankara skirt
    and the lip :) overall gorge

21. Tami says:

Pretty, Pretty, Pretty! Glad to be able to experience this with you!

22. Claire, this looks fab on you, I think it’s a great silhouette for your body type. It highlights your body in the best way! Oprah!!! I can’t imagine how you must have felt meeting her. When you’re ready to expand give me a call, I want to be a part of the movement :)

23. ladyuo says:

Our potential is truly limitless and you and everyone at the event looked amazing!

24. Faith says:

Claire, please tell me you snatched a hair follicle from Oprah for my success potion! You looked fab and I’m so happy Lupita knows who we are! Also…Tai Beauchamp DID THAT.

25. Carmen says:

Claire, so happy for you and you look GORG!!! Deets on the makeup you have on!

26. smv says:

i was waiting for you to post these! yess. this is your best look clair. Very very flattering to your body type. and i love the pink lip on you, the orange on oprah. enjoyed this post thoroughly

27. NYC chick says:

Wonderful post. Congratulations and you look great. I agree this works for your body type!

28. Dobe says:

WOW! You are on your way ALL THE WAY to the top! I’m so happy for you! I was so proud of you while scrolling through your pics on IG yesterday; and my mouth literally dropped when I saw the one of you and Mama O. You looked amazing in every shot, and looks like you were in great company. Keep up the great work, Claire!

29. Diva says:

I love that skirt and you have definitely got cajones to wear that top…. I really enjoy your gutsy fashion moves.

30. Joyce-Lynn says:

How cool is that! You are definitely one of my idols! You looked great!!

Claire, you are giving me all kinds of LIFE in this outfit! Love it from hair/makeup to shoe! And that’s amazing that you were able to attend such an event and meet Oprah, Lupitah, and everyone! Thanks for being MY inspiration! : )

32. Ashley says:

Tai Beauchamp is divine. You look gorg, this post is awesome! I would kill to be at that event. Maybe one of these days. *crosses fingers, toes, eyes, etc*

33. Ashley says:

Tai Beauchamp is divine. You look gorg, this post is awesome! I would kill to be in that room with all those beautiful, successful black women. Maybe one day. *crosses fingers, toes, eyes, etc.*

34. NickieLuv621 says:

BLESSINGS Claire!!! Enjoy every minute of it!!! Wishing you more!!!

35. Taciana says:

Wow, Claire! U look great!!!

36. MynameisPeaches! says:

Wonderful Claire. I am so happy for you. Congratulations! Oh, you look fabulous, by.

Happy for you accomplishments but your top choice is all wrong. Your boobs are waaaay to big for that top especially in white. You should dress for your body type. I know you give the big girls life and all but please stop with the stuff that is ill citing and inappropriate for your large chest.

38. Claire says:

@Everyone Thank you for your lovely comments
    @Anonymous There always has to be a crab apple in the bunch.
    The top fits me. I have big boobs. I don’t hide them. They are there. BYE!

39. Hi says:

Claire never lets me down. Pure awesomeness!!!!!!

40. You are the bomb Claire, And you have the best fashion ideas ever! You do give us big girls hope ,but you are NO BIG GIRL , you are perfect! At all times, you inspire me thanks!!!!! C.

41. C. says:

The great thing about your blog is that it feels like we know you personally, to the point where I feel proud and happy for someone I’ve never met. I’ve been reading your blog for years. You look amazing!

42. A Sy says:

Always inspired to see you living your life , and creating the world you want.

43. A.Sy says:

Always inspiring to see you living your life and also creating the life you want !!!

44. A.sy says:

I didn’t realize my 1st comment post so,I wrote it again oops

45. Alexandria says:

Bravo for addressing the race issue in the fashion industry. I hope you stay encouraged to continue building the Fashion Bomb daily brand. I have been inspired to create my own personal style and take more pride in my appearance from visiting your site. Thanks for your hard work and daring to dream.

46. binks says:

alright Claire! You better work that outfit so glad to find a fellow busty gal pulling off the crop top trend! Also, it is so nice seeing black women together and united. It is finally time for all of us to snatch some wigs and let other take note of our powerful presence.

Claire you look amazing ! I’ve been following fashion bomb since a teenager so inspired by your growth get it girl how do you muster up the courage to ask oprah for a photo ?!