April 27th, 2012
Fashion Bombshell of the Day
Fashion Bombshell of the Day: Biko from Kenya

So we’ve been cultivating diversity in our Bombshell section, with stylistas and stylistos from India to Bermuda. Today we’re adding even more variety with Biko, a transgender designer and fashion stylist from Kenya:

She says, “My style is classic glam, reminiscent of the Hollywood golden age, or as my friends like to call it…Old Lady.”

“… I wear a lot of immaculate vintage pieces which I have been collecting for years.”

“… I find that the key to wearing vintage well is to have a good seamstress to alter everything to either fit you or become more modern.”

“… I mix vintage with high fashion pieces but they have to be classic…”

“… I detest trends and therefore, avoid buying trendy things because they don’t last for more than a season.”

” Besides, being trendy can be very expensive which is why trendy people tend to buy shop at H&M or other discount retail places, its very practical but I refuse to sacrifice quality for quantity.”

“Like I always say, ” Think about what you want your clothes to say about you before putting them on.”

“…For me its more about unapologetic glamour.””

You’re beautiful! I’d love to play in your closet (or go vintage shopping with you!). See more of Biko’s style at www.lamutamu.com.
What do you think?

Fashion Bombshell of the Day is a feature showcasing the singular style of Fashion Bomb Readers. Send your name, location, a description of your style, and 2-6 picture(s) to thefashionbomb@gmail.com. Images submitted may be featured on Facebook or Twitter. Comments can be harsh, so bring your A game!

Posted In
119 comments

119 Responses to “Fashion Bombshell of the Day: Biko from Kenya”

1. Jenn says:

I don’t necessarily think her style is terrible, it’s just that she’s not cute.

2. JIGGA WHAT? says:

BAHAHA@ Jen
    Very glam indeed

3. Staci says:

This is loooooove at first sight!!!!! Sooo glamourous and just fierce!!!!! Gorgeous! I looooove the floral print dress!!!!! This was the perfect way to end the week….breath of fresh air!!!!

4. lola says:

Ooooh child, this post is going to be messy

*grabs popcorn*

5. MonaLisa_310 says:

Love the gowns, hate the wigs. Had it not been posted I wouldn’t have automatically assumed that she was transgendered though.

6. 11 Reasons says:

Meh. I’m not sure how I feel about it… and it has nothing to do with her being a transgender.

She only showed “my take on old-Hollywood” style, but not one of these outfits scream OMG to me… idk, nothing just seemed to come together completely. But if she likes it… well she likes it…

7. missjoie says:

does she/he dress like this on a daily basis? what do u wear to the store, or to work?

not feeling these looks though

8. Kitty B. says:

DEAD @Jenn

Biko just got at all you H&M shoppers…i’m running out the post before the messiness starts….

9. Bajan Candy says:

No casual looks huh? Some of it is very nice i.e. the airport outfit and the blue dress in th last picture. The rest is just okay. Biko has a bangin’ figure though.

10. Loni says:

All of the pieces look costume. Maybe if he did shop at H&M his style would look less dated and more effortless. Looks like he’s playing in mommy’s closet.

11. MissD says:

that’s going to be a “NO GO” on all looks!

12. hypnotic says:

Can we refrain from using the masculine pronoun he, it’s rude and disrespectful.

As far as the clothes, I loved the sea green dress and the all black with the velvet palazzo pants! She should have submitted more outfits, style doesn’t only happen on red carpets or at galas.

13. KevinHartLittleSister says:

Aside from being a man in real life, her style is dated. But hey sHe do what sHe do.

*grabs popcorn & waits for others opinions on this hot of a mess man :)*

14. Jaz says:

HAHA at the option ” Not good…but really I dont know how I feel about it.” I did enjoy the royal blue wedges.

15. Loni says:

Is HYPNOTIC serious? “he” is offensive…in what respect? Nevermind, im not interested in your response.

16. Lea says:

Ok: so she says she doesn’t buy “cheap” clothes because she doesn’t want to sacrifice quality for quantity…but she still buys and proudly wears for horribly ugly and cheap 0.99 ct wigs from the korean beauty supply store round the corner? O_o
    And no, she is no fashion bombshell…her “costumes” are all over the place…I honestly thought it was “April fool” 3.0!!!!!

17. Camilla says:

I am not too crazy about Biko’s style although I did like 2 of the dresses…..HOWEVER, you guys are being a bit insensitive, rude and judgmental regarding Biko’s lifestyle and gender. You may not agree with someone being a transgender and no one is asking you too BUT you should respect be respectful of others because we are all human beings and deserve respect (until proven otherwise).

Furthermore this is a FASHION blog, you shouldn’t be on here ripping someone apart about their gender or even the way they look (I see PLENTY of ugly fashion bombs and I don’t recall anyone coming for their looks) ALSO, I see plenty of QUEENS for the fashion bomb and you ladies EMBRACE them, why can’t you embrace a transgender? It’s hypocritical IMO.

Did she really hurt ya’ll that much with the H&M comment??? If you shop at H&M girl, you shop at H&M!!!! :)

18. Diva says:

“unapologetic glamour”—- LOVES IT !!!

19. Lea says:

On a positive note: the clutch worn with the purple dress and red furry shawl is absolutely gorgeous! Tis all :)

20. Camilla says:

excuse the grammatical errors :)

21. E says:

The blue and white with blue gloves as well as the yellow and black with black gloves are “turrble.” Other looks are pretty good.

22. Myssdee says:

Myss Biko is slaying a lot of these real, realness, and transgender chicks.

She knows how she wants to look when she goes out and how she wants to feel when she walks the streets.

Not crazy about the wigs in some of these pictures but she can still get it.

23. What!!!!!omg this is not fashion, it’s like she’s playing dress up

24. Jaz says:

She kinda looks like a dark version of Kerry Washington

25. Jackie says:

I LOVE the floral dress and gloves!! She has absolutely fantastic style!

26. shelly says:

That hair…*gasps*. Not a fan of synthetic (looking) hair, due to it’s high luster and doll like quality. With that said, I couldn’t even focus on the clothes because the hair is so distracting. Sorry.

27. p says:

it all looks like a bit much. i wish we could see a few more casual looks. and i totally agree with camilla. i think it’s wrong to pick on someone for their gender identity.

28. hypnotic says:

@Loni since you asked then retracted…

Biko lives her life as woman, hence there is no need to refer to her as a him, shim, sHE, man, etc.

It’s rude.

29. shelly says:

So, I just scrolled up after posting my comment, is this person transgendered??? If so, I guess the hair makes since, because a lot of men that do drag wear synthetic wigs…not trying to be rude, just saying.

On a good note, I do like they way…er…they wrote their description, sans the whole H&M, part, lol. Seems like they described themselves very well.

30. BlkRose says:

Take that wig off and get a good quality sew in with Indian or Brazilian hair. I felt like you turned in all of your red carpet prom looks and you should have submitted diverse looks for both day and night.

31. shelly says:

p.s.

just grabbed my popcorn too, lol.

32. ShrenAKO says:

I think whoever takes her pics need to turn the flash off from here on out. The hair looks synthetic. Anyways, some hits / some misses. She’s cute though.

33. Indigo says:

I love the Black and White outfit. She’s sexy. I can’t help but think of Kinky Boots. I need a friend like her in my life right at this moment.

34. Raven says:

No thanks. Seems very costumey to me. And I agree with everyone about the hair.

PREACH <3 @Camilla

35. Indigo says:

H&M stands for Horribly Made…

36. Kimmi says:

No sir. *buttons up my H&M blazer*.

37. Looks like someone struck a nerve with the H&M shoppers and the claws have come out, smh. Some people just don’t understand the difference between being honest and being mean. The latter is so unnecessary. Get some happiness in your life and stop using the internet to dump your hate.

Anyway, I think Biko’s style is just ok but I liked the blue and white floral dress (sans the gloves). She strikes me as someone who would go to the grocery store in a ball gown, which I find hilarious. I love people who aren’t afraid to just be who they are.

38. Stephanie says:

I don’t think he/she looks bad, there isn’t any diversity in the looks and the hair isn’t that great. But, he/she looks comfortable in their looks so thats all that matters… But, now that it is on the table, if you like men and you are a man why dress act/like a woman?
    I never ever understood this way of homosexuals. What ever you like behind closed doors is okay, for me, anybody should embrace who they are or what they were born. You can still dress fem in mans clothes.

39. Tiffany says:

I will say her looks are not everyday looks but that’s not to say she does not execute well. I think her looks are exactly how she describes, “hollywood glam.”

40. p says:

stephanie. there is a difference between sexual orientation and gender identity. please google transgenderism.

41. Ana says:

It isn’t bad. Doesn’t look really fashionable or like much quality to me. Anyone can put on a loud dress and a bright lip. Not inspired. But if you like it, that’s great!

42. Chimee says:

ohh @Stephanie they are about to get you! lol

43. V says:

why did we add the bit about her being transgendered? how is that relevant?

but honey burn that wig. it is synthetic so it will burn well and quick. it ruins all of your looks.

44. LMO says:

Loved all of it and everything that was said. I love vintage and tend to borrow the trends but the points made were very practical. Very glamourous looks!

45. Geez says:

Hmm.. people!

Remember fashion trends vary in different parts of the world. So, to us, it may seem as if she’s playing dress up.. To them this may be of the utmost glamour. (maybe… just being considerate)

Yes, I would have definitely preferred some casual looks. relaxed & natural looks MINUS the hair.

As far as being a transgender: I respect it. It’s not easy to make that transition and hurtful things said can make the greatest of differences. She is a woman in her eyes — respect that. If it aint you, stop pressin the situation! Thats THAT.

46. Camilla says:

Reading through these comments…Some of you are so ignorant it hurts my stomach……

47. Camilla says:

Stephanie, if you don’t understand it why not do some research before making those statements? Your question does not come across as a question but more of a judgment you’re passing and quite frankly the “question” shows how ignorant you are on the matter. I personally know t’s and it is much deeper than a sexual preference. Imagine being born as a man/woman (physically) but mentally and emotionally you feel like the opposite. I’ve had people tell me their PERSONAL experience (feeling like you’re going through life pretending, feeling like you are trapped in someone elses body etc) and once you speak to someone who has gone through it you will have a better understanding and compassion for their struggle.

Once they change their sex their battle doesn’t end because they still have to deal with people like you.

48. kat says:

Stephanie, you should google transgender or maybe just ask a transgendered person if you’re at all interested in knowing how they feel. While I do feel there is always room for people and their varied beliefs, in this (computer) age, there really is no excuse for ignorance.

Biko’s style is too flashy for my own taste, but I do like her outfit in front of the airport. The wig is also way too shine shine.

49. zimbabwechic says:

You women are DISGUSTING!! You went in on Claire over some chick’s shoes but you think it’s okay to disrespet a person to this extent? Costumey? We have seen ridiculous getups on women and you all fawn over it but I have notice how people on this board feel transgenders are fair game, they can do nothing right.