December 30th, 2009
Amber Rose, Best of 2009, Beyonce, Kanye West, Men's style, Rihanna, Trend
Take it or Leave It? Top Fashion Trends of 2009

As the year comes to a close, it’s time to look back at which trends we’d like to bring with us to 2010, and which should stay firmly in 2009! The Fashion Bomb has compiled the following fads, but you tell us: Should we take ‘em or leave ‘em?

First up: Bandleader Jackets:

rihanna-beyonce-balmain

Whether you blame it on Balmain or Beyoncé, metallic trimmed bandleader jackets dominated catwalks and sidewalks in 2009, spawning look-a-likes by everyone from Alice & Olivia to Target.  While the cut was definitely cool, I’d have to give a strong side eye to anyone rocking the exact braided, multi-button look in the new year. This hot trend is ovah–leave it in ’09!

Ripped Jeans

j-brand-thrasher-jeansEvery celeb from Ashanti to Rihanna was spotted wearing ripped jeans this year, most notably J Brand’s Thrashers as pictured above. The rocker look is a recurring trend that always exudes chic edginess. Let’s take it to 2010!

Open Toe Shoe Boots

Ciara Rihanna Miu Miu Peep Toe Miu Miu Boots

Open Toe Shoe Boots played up both dresses and skinny jeans in 2009, but I’ll be honest, the look always confused me. The cut could be more stifling than sandals in summer months, and in winter, your toes will freeze! Of course fashion standouts Rihanna and Ciara managed to make the stompers look hot, but hmm, not too sure illogical accessories need to endure into our new year. Leave ‘em in 2009!

Leggings, leggings, leggings

Amber Rose Blue Hairamber-rose

Angela Simmons Lace Leggings

2009 saw multiple celebs, most notably Amber Rose, rocking leggings in every color, style, and sheen imaginable. Purple or green, ripped, laced, or zipped, leggings were worn under tunics but more often as figure illuminating, butt lifting pants. I’ll cosign a legging for a comfy weekend ‘fit, but personally think spandex leggings as pants should not endure. Leave ‘em in 2009!

No Pants

Beyonce Single Ladies

Lady Gaga No PantsWhat started in music videos and onstage trickled down to the masses with regular around-the-way girls opting for leotards and stockings in lieu of traditional skirts or pants.
No-Pants-Trend
Unless you’re Lady Gaga or Beyoncé, it would be wise to back away from the glorified panties. Leave ‘em in ’09.

Extended Shoulders

Extended Shoulders Kim Kardashian Tracee Ross Kerry Washington80′s era shoulders breathed fresh air into fashion in 2009, adorning dresses and jackets with a seemingly cutting edge flair. The strong, sophisticated cut is too flattering  and chic to die away so soon. Let’s take it to 2010!

Now guys, you had your own share of trends too!

Cardigans

Soulja Boy Men's Style Cardigan

Jay-Z Diddy Swizz Beatz Cardigans Men's StyleOur fave men’s style icons have been embracing the prepster cardigan look, and you’ll hear no complaints from my end! Piped, cable knit or purple, this look works. We’ll discuss the big chains later, but your cardis can stay. Let’s take ‘em to 2010!

Lastly, Kanye’s Louis Vuitton Sneakers

Jay-Z, Kid Cudi, Lance Gross, Kanye Louis Vuitton SneakersKanye West tried his hand at designing sneakers for Louis Vuitton, and the colorful kicks were a certified hit amongst hip hop heads. Creating a bomb product, as well as supporting and rocking said product with purpose is definitely a trend I can cling to. Let’s take it to 2010!

What do you guys think? Which trend would you take? And which would you leave in ’09?

Source

& Source

25 Responses to “Take it or Leave It? Top Fashion Trends of 2009”

1. Fatimah says:

I think I said it @ the end of ’08 that leggings must die now and forever!

2. Stephanie says:

Take it ALL to 2010! Leave the “No Pants” look for the videos! I don’t see any of it going out of style next year…

3. [...] pair of neon patterned leggings topped off with a blazer and peek-a-boo bra. As we mentioned here, leggings as pants should stay in 2009, as should bras worn as tops. She gets a few more days to [...]

4. beautifuldaidreamer says:

I can’t let go of my open toe booties! I loved them when no one else did and I’ll continue to rock them til I’m sick of them lol.

5. Lexyb says:

I say take the leggings into 2010. They are comfortable and versatile…just know when they are tacky and very inappropriate.

I wouldn’t wear them to a charity function but flying, relaxing, a house party….thats cool

6. shoefetish says:

I say bring the leggins, when worn correctly they are a cute casual item. Also please lets bring the peep toe booties, as with everything fashion goes around and comes back around again.

7. Jadakiss says:

I DON’T CARE….I LOVE LEGGINGS AND I WON’T LET GO. I can’t let go like Anthony Hamilton! lol

8. I don’t care I LUV LEGGINGS. In fact I’m gonna buy a pair this week. :)

9. Daphne says:

I’m takin the open toe booties with me! Love those!

10. Whitney says:

Umm YES YES and more YES to Bringing leggings in 2010, for girls who do not like jeans and need an alternative on a weekend of shoping or chillin at home, leggings are a neccessity.
    Peep toe booties should come with us in ’10 as well…they’re a great in between season shoe, and you can still show off a cute pedi :)
    Can’t wait for the new trends of 2010

11. thel says:

leave it in 2009 is funny

12. thel says:

leave it in 2009

13. Tati says:

HATED leggings when they first came back but now I love, love love them. Way too comfy to let go. I just need more tops to wear with them bc I refuse to wear them as pants with my booty for everyone to see.

14. KikIlis says:

Yes! to all the other supporters of bringing leggings into 2010! I love being able to get away with something so comfortable! Especially like now, around the holidays, when you need a little extra wiggle room. I hope these NEVer go out of style. lol

15. Natalie says:

I love my magazines and subscribe to many, but only a no imagination follower wears something just because they are told its in. If you look at Lady Gaga and are inspired to try something new, good for you but you should not, I repeat should not be photocopying her look. I say as long as YOU look good, wear what you like.

16. taking most of them, well def not the no pants, i hope people didnt do that is in real life, and i thought cardigans were a staple item.

I love leggings still! I don’t wear them as pants, but i do wear them with longer shirts that cover my ;) .They are especially great for early morning classes, relaxing, running errands, etc

18. sun.kissed says:

Leggings and open toe boots stay in my wardrobe for 2010!

19. mark says:

Thank you for your great and useful article.

We see only some of the trends on runways. Actually, there is more than we see on runways. This springtime generally include pastel colors and soft-looking but you can also wear ripped jeans or ruffles.

If you want to know more about spring fashion trends that will hit the streets in 2010, you can check out this:

Thanks for your good job. Happy new years!

20. esme says:

i say take the leggings because they are extremely comfortable when i don’t feel like wearing a dress but i don’t want to look bummy and wear sweats either. as for the open toe booties…can that trend die and never come back? it’s really the ugliest kind of shoe i’ve ever seen, and every time i see someone wear them i think “fashion victim”. as for the ” no pants trend” i never thought anyone was doing that besides beyonce and lady gaga (usually) WHILE THEY WERE PERFORMING. i mean those hoodrat chicks who were copying them…what were they thinking? particuarly the one with the slit down her middle…how did she think it was okay to wear that in public and not have ppl thinking she was on the ho stroll?

21. leonard says:

Men please leave the skinny jeans in 2009 they are not a good look.

22. AD says:

The leggings trend for women should continue into 2010. Honestly, they are so comfortable and functional and the different textures make it fun. *Kanye shrug*

23. AD says:

How come all the fashion blogs are saying the tights/leggings need to go, but the consumer is saying that they love the trend??? There’s something wrong here. No one’s listening to the consumer!

24. Claire says:

For the record, I said leggings as part of a comfy weekend outfit can stay, leggings as pants should go…leggings are not pants.

25. Passion4Fashion says:

i agreed with this line up!!!!!!!! super