February 24th, 2012
Celebrity Style, Claire's Life
Claire’s Life: Essence Magazine’s 5th Annual Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon

Happy Friday!

So last week I was asked by Lincoln to join them as their special guest at Essence Magazine’s 5th Annual Black Women in Hollywood Luncheon . Though I had planned to be in Milan for Fashion Week, I’d heard the event was motivational and inspirational–basically something I wouldn’t want to miss! So at the end of London Fashion Week, I hopped on an 11 hour flight and popped into LA to see what was what:

After resting for a day at the W Los Angeles, our blogger group, which included Angel of Concrete Loop, Jamishia from The YBF, Christen from Divas and Dorks, Latoicha of Luxe Tips, and Gerald of Eurweb, went to the Beverly Hills Hotel to enjoy a day honoring the film industry’s finest African-American writers, directors, and actresses.

20120224-060044.jpg

To say the event was star studded would be an understatement. From Kelly Rowland to Jill Scott to Tasha Smith, the room was bubbling over with black stars.

I made my way around the room to say hey to a few:

20120224-060135.jpg

In the Lincoln Lounge, I caught up with Jurnee Smollett, who looked sophisticated in pearly purple chiffon.

I also said hey to Love That Girl star and classmate Tatyana Ali. She was covering her dress a bit, but it was bananas. The cutouts were amazing!

Then inside the venue..

I caught up with cutie Tika Sumpter, who epitomized chic in black lace.

I complimented Jill Scott on her fly new hair style. The asymmetrical cut looks gorge, no?

And then I snapped a picture with new redhead Tracee Ellis Ross, Yvette Nicole Brown of NBC’s the Community, and my blogging buddy Marie Denee aka The Curvy Fashionista. Tracee’s dress made me gasp with joy (it’s vintage, from Resurrection).

And of course I had to say congratulations to two of the day’s honorees, including Paula Patton, the recipient of the Shining Star Award:

And Kerry Washington who won the Vanguard Award:

During her acceptance speech, Kerry Washington said, “There really is room for all of us. There really is a need for all of us.” The sense of appreciation and sisterhood in the room was palpable. I left feeling encouraged to continue to strive for the best in my industry and in life!

With all the fashion week madness I didn’t have much time to shop for my outfit, so decided to snag a piece from the Mary Katrantzou x Topshop collection during a lull in London:

20120224-060236.jpg

Keeping with my ‘British Designer’ theme, I accented with an on trend neon pair of Kurt Geiger Greek Leather sandals from Liberty London (my new favorite British department store):

And added a bit of pizazz with a Cashhimi clutch, a gold cuff, a spiked necklace, and Girl about Town MAC pink lipstick.

What do you think?

Stay tuned for more pictures from the event. And many thanks to Lincoln and The Chamber Group for extending this amazing invitation.

Smootches!

A few more pix from the red carpet:

Kelly Rowland in Jean Fares Couture

Tracee Ellis Ross
MC Lyte
Jordin Sparks
Tanika Ray and Shawn Lollie, manager of Multicultural Marketing at Lincoln
Tatyana Ali
Paula Patton in Marchesa
The Honorees: Octavia Spencer, Kerry Washington, Pam Grier, Paula Patton, and Shonda Rhimes

Lincoln Vehicles Onsite

55 Responses to “Claire’s Life: Essence Magazine’s 5th Annual Black Women In Hollywood Luncheon”

1. MoD says:

Dang boo you killed them. I know it’s not a competition or anything but you look a lot better than some of the stars. And I knew your dress was from that topshop collection before I even read it. I saw a version in another magazine recently and was definitely looking to buy it for myself.

2. You look great!!! Love the whole outfit even the shoes! Glad to see you are getting shine! You go girl!!

3. Sandra says:

Claire you are truly an inspiration! You actually inspired me to go after my dream job in fashion and it paid off…I just landed a new position as an assistant buyer :) And your shoes are gorge!

4. ChooseyLover says:

Claire skin is so radiant and beautiful. And that dress is popping.
    Love everything about your look!

5. That’s a good look. Everyone looks great.

6. Nikki says:

You look wonderful Claire, I love the Dress and Shoes. On the otherside, what color lip stick are you wearing?

Jill Scott’s Hair cute is too cute!

7. Nessa B says:

I love me some Jilly from Philly (and soooooooooo cant wait til she comes here to Miami for Jazz in the Gardens) but i’m not loving the new do. Why? Because for Jill its underwhelming and normal. I love to see here with bold here-i-am type hairstyles. Other then that Claire girl i’m jealous, but congrats for all your accomplishments and future success.

8. It’s great to see my fellow black women out and about doing something positive. I love it! I am loving Miss Kerry’s outfit! It was definitely my favorite! And I love Jurnee! She’s gorgeous!

9. Loving all of these pics, especially the very first with the four of you ladies—nothing much natural hair goodness!

10. Ji says:

Traciieee I love Tracie :D Lovely hair, lovely everythang.

Now Claire, you look adorable in your bright dress, it fits your bright mind and personality so well. I am so proud of you as a woman and as a black woman. GO girl

11. Fab, nice dress and great photos.

12. MerelyMarie says:

This is SO cool. Love your choice of lip color…pretty!

13. Soul Touch says:

Every one looks fab but Claire you look wonderful! I love the splash of colour and your complimentary makeup and jewlery.

14. danKini says:

Everyone looked great! Tatyanna’s dress was a fav along with Tracee rebounding from the not so sute messy bun and Viola is in super awesome shape.

15. Nakia says:

Beautiful Black Women….great post, and usual Claire is fab!

16. NikkiBellaRay says:

Blows five kisses, I absolutely love this post. Claire I love the dress, Kerry in the white leather and red lip I adore, Anika Noni Rose is a doll. Everyone looks beautiful!

Viola look’s amazing!!!! I love her hair!!!!

18. Marthe says:

I gotta say, you look the best out of everyone, love everything about your outfit, especially that necklace and your lipstick. I can see it was a great event, hope you had loads of fun !

19. Bonifant says:

Hey Claire you forgot to mention Yvette Nicole Brown one of the stars of the NBC show Community. she’s in the pic with you Marie Denee and Tracee Ellis Ross. Pls show Yvette some love with a formal mention. :)

20. tahi says:

you look amazing claire!!!! and tracee’s hair is FAB

21. Sonia says:

Cute dress although it made u look wide.

22. Q says:

Claire, love the dress & those shoes!!!! OMG I love them!!!! All the ladies looked fab! Tatiyana finally got a stylist?

@ Sandra – congrats on the dream job!!! I’m interested in that as well. :)

23. Grace says:

What a lovely event! Everyone looks great and I can almost feel the positivity exuding from my screen ;-) Congrats Claire on all of your success and I’m sure the best is yet to come!
    PS I wish events like these got more press than the shenanigans of B-ball “Wives”, smdh…

24. sun.kissed says:

Loves it! Tatiana definitely takes best dress, just hope she didn’t have a nip slip during the event. You look fab too, I love the shoes and your dress matches the lighting!

25. FashionOne says:

Claire you looks so pretty..love the dress & necklace…Hot!

Loved your dress!!! It was the most ‘stand out’ beautiful of all the pics! #work! :)

27. kona says:

You look STUNNING from head to toe!

28. Shaniece says:

Claire you look amazing as usual ! It’s great to see Black women together celebrating life !

29. Vanessa says:

OMG Claire you look absolutely beautiful. That dress compliemted you so well. Your figure looked like the figure in the campaign ad (if that is what it called). I think you were the best dress honesty. You looked great!

30. Azaleigha says:

Besides Claire looking fab…Jurnee looks oh so pretty.

31. Azaleigha says:

oh yea!!!! How could I forget to comment about Claires tan and lime green slingbacks…they are HAWT!!!!!!!

32. Georgia says:

Love seeing Kim Wayans up there–she was phenomenal in Pariah but unfortunately didn’t get any nomination love.

And I love Kerry Washington, but she looks kinda aged and brittle.

33. Aha says:

Gorgeous as always, Claire!
    Love Tracee’s dress, too.

34. Diggs says:

Love seeing beautiful black women being positive and supportive. Everyone looks great, including you! Love the dress and the shoes. Nicole’s dress, Viola and Kerry’s whole look, Journee’s makeup and Jill’s hair were my highlights. Tatiyana was hot.

35. ladyluo says:

Love your dress so much but wish you could have left the accessories at home

36. binks says:

Black girls rock! Looking good ladies especially you Claire

37. Chianti from LA says:

I LOOOOOVE THIS POST SOOO VERY MUCH!!!! I am very inspired by you Claire. Thank you for sharing :)

38. lire says:

Yay for you that you got to meet all these celebs…however, your dress looked out of place. You need a stylist ASAP

39. Dobe says:

Absolutely lovely! Tracee, Kerry, Tatyana are slaying! I love your looks, as well, fun and vibrant!

40. Yakini says:

You look stunning & your darling your waist is TINY!!! What an amazing event!!!

41. Love the dress Claire! And shoes! Love Tracee’s hair!

42. Rio says:

@Lire

If Claire’s dress is out of place, then so is Tracee Ellis Ross’. Claire you look wonderful!!

43. Nana says:

@Rio Ditto
    Claire, you look great! Can’t wait to see more.

44. Yoli says:

Viola Davis looked STUNNING! Claire loved your entire outfit & I definitely want Kerry’s clutch!

45. Gemini says:

Claire you are the best dressed blogger there!

46. jamie says:

Claire your supports are offering your girls to the heavens, please say what your brand is so i can get me some too ;))
    and yes you totally look cuter than the rest

47. MP says:

I love your luncheon look Claire!
    I also love that bag Kerry Washington is holding on the red carpet. I think I just pinned that bag yesterday.

48. wallflower says:

so much gorgeousness (and a few hot messes- I’m looking at you MC Lyte -_-)

Question…er uh…speaking as a fellow big chested girl, what kind of strapless is that?

49. Hannah F. says:

Claire, you look GLAMAZING! Even better than some of the stars. Paula Patton, Sharon Leal, Jurnee, Tracee and Kerry did it for me as well

Everyone looks so lovely. Makes me even more proud to be a black sistah. Way to represent ladies!!