March 3rd, 2014
Fashion Bombshell of the Day
Fashion Bombshell of the Day: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos

I’m totally having a fan moment with today’s Bombshell!!
She is none other than Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, a celebrated author, speaker, and Fashion Bomb reader! She’s been a reader for years, and I couldn’t be more overjoyed to feature her as Bombshell of the Day:
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from lago for fashion bomb daily
She writes, “It’s hard to talk about what ‘my style’ is.”
The Southbank. April 2013
” You know those magazine features that ask you to choose if you’re ‘classic’ or ‘romantic’ or ‘preppy’ or whatever? I often find myself choosing all, and sometimes none. My style is What Makes Me Happy.”

1 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
“I have clothes that other people tell me are lovely but I don’t love them.”

3 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
” And there are clothes I wear and love, about which my family and friends will say things like, ‘you look like you’re wearing a man’s shirt that isn’t your size.’ Or ‘is that really how that top is supposed to look?’ Or ‘I don’t understand this dress.’”

00 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
“And I actually see their point! But what matters in the end is what makes me feel, when I look in the mirror, fully like myself.”

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
See more here:
Cambridge. April 2013
fashion bomb daily Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos americanah
Nordic Africa Institute. Uppsala. October 2012
9 9 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
989 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
9 Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos
Eloquent! Glorious! Flawless!
Excuse my blabberings, I’m just a huge fan (have you read Americanah or listened to Beyoncé’s Flawless?). At any rate, Chimamanda wrote a great article in Elle.com called, “Why Can’t a Smart Woman Love Fashion?” It’s a must read.
What do you think?

Fashion Bombshell of the Day is a feature showcasing the singular style of Fashion Bomb Readers. Send your name, location, a description of your style, and 6-8 clear, unfiltered, head-to-toe pictures of 6-8 different outfits to thefashionbomb@gmail.com. Images submitted will be featured on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or any of our social media platforms. Comments can be harsh, so bring your A game! Please be advised: once published, pictures will not be removed or taken down.

Posted In
33 comments

33 Responses to “Fashion Bombshell of the Day: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie from Lagos”

1. southern says:

did it

2. HoneyBrown says:

LOVE!!!!

3. HoneyBrown says:

Her confidence speaks volumes.

4. I read about her in ELLE and I really enjoyed reading about how she lost and then found her inner fashionista because she felt like you had to “dress down” to be taken seriously as a writer. I do love her style, it’s unique and tailored to who she is. Bombshell!

5. SMV says:

OOOH Beyonce fans you should love this lady..she was featured on Flawless i believe. Hits and misses for me but im loving her hair color in that last picture.

6. fly won says:

LOVED the Elle article! I was pleasantly surprised to see her in it. I have seen lots of these pics before, and followed her speeches. Great woman of class and so well spoken

um no fashion here sorry..

8. Roni says:

Her style is very uniquely her! She knows what she likes and does her own thing and because of that I voted bombshell! A woman comfortable in her skin and who wears what makes her happy regardless of what others may think….love it!!

9. Jihan says:

WAKE UP

FLAWLESS

POST UP

FLAWLESS.

love her xx

10. Sareena says:

How funny I just finished her book!

11. Naija Vix. says:

LOVE YOU Chimamanda !!!! <3 :)

12. adaobi says:

I love Chimamanda! Love her books, love her style, shes my idol! She’s definitely a bombshell.

Belledazzy.blogspot.com

13. Diamond says:

Chimamanda, you would always be a Fashion Bomb! You rock and you represent we Naija people well. Much love.

14. Wow, this is a woman I admire regardless, she helped me embrace a part of myself as a woman that many try to shame you for. I love her looks.

15. mi manning says:

some nice pieces…some didn’t necessarily go with others. I liked the very last pic. not quite a bombshell IMO.

16. Mary says:

I don’t think the point is to fan out. On the topic of clothing and fashion, I think a great tailor is needed. I would also consider less chunky shoes. I’ve seen other photos that did your body type much more justice than these.

17. BougieHippie says:

And I thought I was critical. Wow @MARY!

18. Jessy says:

I thought that name looked familiar! :)

19. PinkShimmer says:

she woke up like dis!

20. Fayfashi says:

SMH… You guys are only giving her praises because of who she is… Her style is just ok. She should definitely invest in a tailor, then we’ll be talking.

21. The truth says:

I’m reading Americanah now and am absolutely IN LOVE with the story. She is a phenomenal writer and as it turns out, quite the fashionista.

22. Doc says:

Nice to see an actual bombshell in action. I always laugh inwardly at most of these posts because the shots are clearly staged in people’s front yards, living rooms and closets and it leads me to believe they don’t have anything going on besides playing dress up in questionable outfits.

As for the fashion, the blue dress is great. She has a good eye for pattern mixing and accessorizing. Some of the tops are a little tight, but I’m not seeing this need for excessive re-tailoring. The pants featured appear to be ankle pants and seem to be the right length without bunching or distortion of the shape. The skirts and dresses are a good length. I don’t know, I think there is a little bit of reactionary nit-picking going on.

23. Danielle says:

I love the all gold outfit and the last picture I loved her hair in that picture! But there’s nothing else I really cared for, that’s just me. I love her confidence though. Although, I may not care for some of her style choices, I do love how happy, and confident she is in all of her outfits. MAMA TAUGHT ME GOOD HOME TRAINING. DADDY TAUGHT ME I SHOULD LOVE MY HATERS. MY SISTER TAUGHT ME I SHOULD SPEAK MY MIND. MY MAN MADE ME FEEL SO GOT DAMN FINE. LOL I love Flawless, that’s my jam!

24. Drea Renee says:

I like how she plays with prints and colors. Is everything my cup of tea? No but you can see that this is her style. I love that it’s not all trendy pieces and platform stilettos.

25. Dee says:

FBD should have specified from Lagos ,Nigeria. There is another Lagos in Portugal in Europe. By the way, she looks great.

26. Kay'Gee Rox says:

Even if she wears a trashbag, I’ll still praise her. I’ve read everyone of your books and I just want to thank u for inspiring me to learn more ’bout our country and its history!! I mean I didn’t know what the Biafra war was till I read HOAYS! Ish like that they didn’t teach us in school. So if u’re reading this, just know u have a fan all tha way in New Zealand! xx
    #rantover

27. mrs. a says:

She over relies on peplum looks. There were at least 7 peplum looks. I will check out her critically acclaimed work. But she is definitely no bombshell.. just basic.

28. Chloe says:

Honestly, it didn’t matter if she was featured wearing rags or plastic bags, I would have still voted Bombshell!!!

Love this woman and all that she exemplifies!! Truly intelligent and talented!!

Glad she also happens to be a fashionista!! LOVE!!!

29. IgboQueen says:

This is absolutely epic. Chimamanda is literally everything for me and not just because of her outer beauty. Love this; Love her.

30. Cheri V says:

Stunning perfection! I love her books, her speeches, her clothes, her hair… her everything!
    Flawless!!!!

(Lol at Claire fangirling… I kinda lost my breath when I saw the post…. Ugh!!!!! Next we’ll find out that Oprah reads FBD)

31. Sophia says:

She is flawless.

32. Kandi says:

She owns every look. I like the way she mixes prints. It just works for her. It might look crazy on someone else, but on her it’s flawless. Beautiful, confident lady.