January 20th, 2014
Diversity, Fashion Discussion, Fashion News

Happy Martin Luther King Day!
As we pause to reflect on Dr. King’s message of Civil Rights and equality, we must deal with the reality of modern day ignorance and racial insensitivity.
Today, Miroslava Duma’s new online magazine Buro 247 published an article on Russian socialite Dasha Zhukova. The illustration? A serene looking Zhukova sitting on a ‘black woman’ chair.
dasha zhukova black woman chair miroslava duma buro 247 interview
The Editor-in-Chief of Garage magazine perches on a black ‘dummy,’ (not a real human) who is nude save panties, a garter belt, elbow length gloves, and knee high boots, her folded knees suggestively pushing her naked breasts against her body. As Dasha stares out at the camera in the light filled room, she appears the total opposite of the compromised black woman on the floor. The message: prevailing, enduring white dominance and superiority, articulated in a seemingly serene yet overtly degrading way.
Photographer Dasha Zhukova Sits on a Black Woman Chair for Buro 247 Interview
Black woman as objects? Jezebels? These ideas aren’t new. But just as Dr. King fought firehoses and barking dogs four decades ago so that not only black women and black people in general could be seen as human beings, the fight continues in the worlds of art and fashion. Every other day, we see black women demeaned, disrespected, and overly sexualized by the ‘other,’ our image sacrificed in the service of art.

Peggy Noland's Outrageous Oprah Dress
Remember this bullshit?

It’s troubling that Buro 247 chose to publish this article today (they will undoubtedly attest ignorance and soon issue an apology–Miroslava Duma has already deleted the picture from her Instagram, and perhaps the interview on her site will come down as well), but instances like these always serve as reminders that we have come so far, yet still have so far to go.
The art and fashion industries are the few bastions of society where blatant racism and ignorance are given the greenlight in the name of creativity.
This must stop.
Now.
See the original picture on Buro247.
*I did a bit of research, and found that the chair seems to be an iteration of this bondage chair, created by Allen Jones ca. 1969. Apparently white strippers were put in compromising positions as well.
Chair by Allen Jones, 1969, which depicts a woman bent into the shape of furniture
allen jones stripper chair
Does that make the symbolism any less troubling?

187 Responses to “What is This? Russian Socialite and Garage Magazine Editor-In-Chief Dasha Zhukova Sits on a Black Woman Bondage Chair for Buro 24/7 Interview”

1. Mary says:

I don’t know if I am as sensitive about the chair. Who is the manufacturer? I would like to see what other races are options before I jump the gun.

Also, countries like Russia, Korea etc do not understand race issues as the u.s

2. Jihan says:

It’s not about other countries being ignorant to racial issues, it’s about the fact that people just do not respect black and brown folks in western and eastern society.

These are the same women who talk about feminism and lament the objectification of women, but maybe that only counts if you’re not a POC. This is how people think of us, tbh, and folks have no problem throwing it in our faces.

Why is this ok, but it’s a problem when Paula Abdul is sitting on a mexican kneeling on the floor as a stool in Bruno?

3. Lisa says:

“I would like to see what other races are options before i jump the gun”- Why does that even matter??
    The point is to respond to what you see in front of you. And so what if there are korean, native american, hispanic, and/or white dummies? What they showed us was a black one, so let’s respond to that.

I don’t care to dig into Russia’s understanding of race relations here in America. I don’t care to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in regards to this picture. Ignorance is not an excuse. Women, regardless of race, shouldn’t ever take part in a photo wherein another woman is being made to appear subservient to the other. So first as a woman, and second as a black woman in America, I find this picture to be disgusting and hurtful.

4. J. Nicole says:

Other countries cannot feign ignorance to race issues, especially with acess to the internet as well as having a small population of Black people there as well. We aren’t talking about a rural village, but a major city with access to the modern world of fashion & culture. None of this is an accident. Everything is calculated and the sooner we realize they simply give no f**ks if they offend us, the better. As much as I enjoy fashion I sit out major trends & designers because my own morals & beliefs are more important to me than an “it” bag or pair of shoes. The image in this photo is deep. A Black woman is strong; not in a good way, but in the way a horse can pull a carriage, and can be contorted to maintain the prestige of a white woman. But in a few days many will forget & keep spending money on an industry that doesn’t want them.

5. Dionne says:

As I am korean, we do understand race issues. Please don’t bring us into this non-sense, ignorant racist sh*t.
    I really dont know why these stupids had to use black woman to sit on when they have perfectly nice platic or wooden chairs everywhere.
    Seriously, What’s this? Full of this ignorance makes me sad.

6. 2 cents says:

First of all…buro 247 had to know this would be offensive. HAD TO. They’re a new magazine. They just got a boatload of new traffic. All press is good press. They could’ve used a white lady or any other chair. They chose that one.

But now I wonder if all you black girls who salivate over Miroslava’s street style will see her any differently? Or will you continue to subtly worship the white ideal?

7. Raina says:

Jihan, I totally agree with you. As of late it seems there is this insensitivity towards people of color. I had a White man tell me that his great grandfather died for my people during the Civil War, I had to explain to him that Blacks also fought in the Civil War and many other wars. Still they were treated as unequal’s. There seems to be a white washing of racism taking effect. White folks want to try and turn racism into a joke. “Nigga is not the same as nigger so we can say it.” Come again? Not to place all the blame on these people but some in the diaspora do not help make things better with their ignorant habits. I think that a lot of us are taking notice of what is going on. But White folks are trying to stop progress and want to continuously remind us that we are less of a people. Keep fighting the fight sisters. Happy MLK Day.

8. Jessy says:

When a group feels threatened/shift in power, they resort to stunts like these to attempt to keep “others” in check. It’s 2014, and we’ll continue to move forward– keep on fighting the good fight for inclusion in the fashion world, despite what the naysayers may do/say.

9. I find the whole series lacking in good taste and is a further testament of the degradation and fetishsism of women in general. With that being said, it doesn’t matter what other “races” are being offered.

10. Mrs.L says:

Heartbreaking. As black woman were still being objectified by society. We can not mince words here… This image is heartbreaking, cruel, and insulting.

11. Milaxx says:

This photoshoot is offensive to black women AND the entire line of “furniture” is offensive to women. I see it less as art, more as fetish play. Back to the photo, why anyone thought this was a good idea in 2014 is beyond me. It makes me angry as a black woman and as a woman period.

12. Happilynatural says:

I’m so over racism. Now people are just using it to get attention and for publicity.

13. Nicole Rushing says:

This is degrading towards women in general. The reason race has been dragged into the convo is because the model is white and the chair depicts a black woman. This model is either ignorant or naive to agree to pose for this. The magazine was clearly going for shock value. All this protesting is exactly what they wanted. And I choose to ignore this b*llsh*t instead of debate it endlessly. Yawn…next.

14. When will this end?? When will these people realise you can’t be a facist and just apologise and make it all ok?? How can any normal human being not see the offence in this??? DISGUSTED!!!

15. Ebony says:

Its a shame that in this era, people are still shalow. To me, all i can see is a reverse psychology. She needed to reaffirm i guess her supposed superiority + in my opinion works like these should not be allowed to see the light of day.

16. Anon says:

I guess she’s picking up where Miley and 2013 left off.

17. Them white bondage chairs make no equivalence to the black one, because the white one is simply bondage used to satisfy a sexual deviation. But the black live one symbolizes a whole move t yet to be explore for the black woman. Before reading the intentio says:

On Instagram @thelovelytash

18. Lilian says:

Eerrr…Why is nobody questioning the state of mind of the black model who chose to be the ‘chair’? I am black and i know and understand when white people make a mockery of black people (hint…i live in the netherlands) but what i dont understand is black people who choose to partake in their acts.

19. enough already says:

disgusting.

QUESTION, how does everyone feel about katy perry’s black Barbie that has her own instagram account? She’s often photographed topless && I know it’s just a doll, but the whole thing really leaves a bad taste in my mouth

the dolls Instagram handle is: @barbiegabon

20. Mary says:

I guess I am over the whole race card issue. I understand racism is alive and well, but if we want to censor whites and black in the media, we also are obligated to censor other ethnicities. I can not sit on a pedestal and only choose issues that affect me. What about when the word “Faggot” is used in rap, or when hispanics are mocked in the media.

The reason I wanted to see what other options there were is to make an impartial judgement on the possible motives behind using the african model. Was this simply ignorance and the black model was better looking than the other model? Was this deliberate to show white supremacy?
    You can not make judgements on a single story. I believe in gathering all of the facts prior to pointing the finger at someone’s character.

21. We as black people are sensitive to any thing posted of this nature. Other nationalities, will never understand why, because our story is not their story. The healing period of the slave, negro,and black experience,has not completed itself, but still so many others want a piece of us,before we can be in a good place with who we are. We still feel used and abused and hurt. The past oppressors have not redeemed themselves for the abuse done to black people.With this being so, there is a lack of trust and motives will always be in question. When in dealing with the JEWISH Holocaust They saw to it that many of their Murderers were brought to trial and sentenced. from the Jim Crow era and the lynching that took place before and during that time, black people have never had that day of retribution. Which says we don’t matter in the scheme of things, be happy with what we have allowed you so far. This is a hard summon to swallow’

22. Shara says:

I am extremely unsettled by this. Maybe some crazy fashion photographer suggested this, but I’m sad that a woman agreed to SIT on another woman in this manner! What?! They got the lily-whitest, most serene looking white woman, to sit atop a dark skinned BLACK woman who is in a pose MEANT to inflict her pain!!! why does the media still want us to break our backs to make the white man “comfy”??? this is non-sense. It hits me even harder because I love Mira’s street style and have even featured her images on my blog. Ugh, I’m done, happy MLK Day.

23. meh says:

Your labels of what these chairs mean are all wrong. Strippers? no S&M is a genre of sex, and yes, black and whites do it. Now is it poor taste to have it in the phone without a real meaning? …YES. But don’t be naive to something sexual or out of the norm push you to put out the wrong information. This is what happens when people get hyped and don’t calm down first.

24. Claire says:

@Meh I’ve found the Allen Jones chairs under two names; some have called them Stripper chairs, others call them Bondage chairs. I’m really just calling them by what I assume is their proper and intended name. thx

25. JJ says:

The White non humans ARE some of the most IGNORANT somebodys! Just watch how the Lord come back and put most of them in hell! Then what! Because they think they are doing something great intelligent against us! It makes them look yuck! The white MAN! IS LOVING THIS! DONT LET ANIMALS LIKE THIS DISTURB YOUR PEACE OF MIND THEY ARE GOING TO GRT WHATS COMING TO THEM FOR KILLING, LYING, DECEITFULLY MISUSE US! THEY ARE MURDERS, SERIAL KILLERS CHILD MOLESTERS, ETC! YOU NAME IT THEY DO THINGS LIKE THUS TO THEIR OWN FAMILIES! DONT WORRY WE WONT HAVE TO SAY ANYTHING! THEY ARE GOING TO PAY A PRICE , THEIR TIME IS RUNNING OUT! AND WHEN THEY SEE JESUS RETURN THEY WILL SEE HE IS BLACK! LAUGH AT THESE FOOLS EVEN THEY KNOW TIME IS RUNNING OUT FOR THEIR WHITE NASTY SKIN! THEY WANT OUR COLOR, OUR LIPS, BUTTS, MEN…WELL THEY HAVE THEM! NO MORE BLACK MEN FOR BLACK WOMEN LET THEM STANK HEIFERS HAVE THEM THEY AINT WORTH THE TIME NO MORE…THEY HATE US TOO!

26. Jennifer says:

Anyone condoning this is of either compromised intellect (possible head injury), or a racist and misogynist pig.

This is unacceptable and everyone who participated is formally complicit in evil (to borrow a phrase from the last Pope).

Oh and BDSM fun-loving people: Why are the majority of Doms men? Why do you hate yourselves?

27. Lady E says:

Dionne, Koreans are already in this. As a whole, they are indeed insensitive to race issues. Korean women with painted brown faces and hair rollers ‘performing’ some ‘comedy’ act ring a bell? How about Korean children asking their black teacher if her skin color washes off when she goes swimming? Or Korean men trying to coerce black women to sleep with them like they are some kind of conquest? You are just one Korean and do not represent the whole country. Not all Koreans are racially insensitive either. But generally speaking, Korea is far behind other countries in many areas, not just this one. I don’t hold that against all Koreans though. I love all people, but at the same time let’s be honest. Some people are too blinded by patriotism to face the truth about their home coutries. I don’t ascribe to that idea.

28. koko says:

there’s things i agree with and a lot i disagree with in what everyone is saying.

i, actually, am more troubled with the model that agreed…

29. Kenyan Gal says:

But why, pray tell, did the model agree to be put in such a position? I know I wouldn’t agree to such nonsense! Black people have to stand up for themselves and say no when boundaries are crossed. I would never in my right mind agree to this if I was a model :(

30. Wood says:

Interesting. It’s so easy to jump the gun and start accusing people of racism or having racially insensitive products when there is a story behind everything. If there were white (Caucasian) chairs made then it is safe to assume the makers of this chair are not racist. Had this been a black woman sitting on the original white woman chair, this would have been a non issue.
    Its funny how we as a race can be so openly opinionated about other races and culture and yet be so sensitive every time someone mentions anything race related.

31. Disgusted says:

Mary: While race issues certainly differ from place to place, they do exist in other countries. All it takes is a look at the comments on the original posting to see that Russians recognize the explicit racism at work in these photos.
    Jennifer: It’s just not the case that most doms are men. If you research this at all, you will find that most pro-doms are actually women, women who love themselves.
    It’s a shame that a discussion about the ignorance of hatred and bigotry seems to bring out even more of the same.

32. Frost says:

@ Lady E:

I am half Korean, half black. I don’t know what skit you’re talking about, so I’m not going to comment on it. But how is Korean children asking a black teacher if their color comes off racist? *insert eye roll* Children are naturally curious and have no filter. If a Korean child has never seen someone with dark skin before, this is naturally a question they will have. Just as children ask questions when they encounter little people, someone with a disability, etc. They don’t mean to be harmful, they are just naturally inquisitive. Again, what does Korean mean coercing black women for sex have to do with racism? Men want sex from women, period. If Korean men demand sex from white women is that racist? Again, what an asinine comment.

Korea has come a long way in terms of race and people of different ethnicities and colors, which is impressive considering it is one of the few homogenous countries. When I visited Korea 10 years ago, everyone was so confused how I could belong to my mother. When I visited last year, I didn’t receive any stares or comments, and everyone was very polite and welcoming.

In the future, perhaps you should reserve your comments about countries you’ve actually visited/interacted with.

Also, I just wanted to quickly point out for those who don’t know how to carefully observe a photo — the chair is not made out of a real black woman, so she didn’t agree to participate in anything. Thanks.

33. Lola Reggy says:

It does not matter which color that chair is, it is untasteful! And it is disrespecting to women in general.

34. Asiatic Black Woman says:

@JJ their time ran out 600 yrs ago lol the truth will be revealed soon like you said I Totally agree..

35. tinyafae says:

Black women are fetishes to some people. Yes, the photographer wanted more shock value.. Why not put the black woman on top? They did go out of their way as someone mentioned to make sure they had a black woman, of dark coloring and natural hair just to point out the fact she is black .. Like there could be any mistake with a caramel toned woman. This is offensive that is what they were going for. Something else mentioned was, Korea.. I forgive Koreans for any racial insensitivity they have because they are A HOMOGENOUS COUNTRY they are still learning and advancing I do not know the demographic of Russia but I have watched a documentary about how blatantly racist they are.. Mostly to foreigners and that the Government supports and accepts this.

36. ninjah says:

firstly to those trying to blame the “black model” for agreeing to be the chair, its clearly stated in the artical that the chair figure is a dummy meaning NOT A PERSON. so trying to pass the blame isn’t going to work.
    this was deliberate and its at the hands of white ppl.

to say race isnt a factor is ridiculous. like everything else in the photo, the black woman chair was a design CHOICE.
    it was meant to what it is.
    racist as fuck.
    period

37. BougieHippie says:

I wonder if this was you all favorite rapper sitting in this same chair would all these natural hair dissertations be posted?

38. Caramella says:

Why do you women keep saying “Black,White, Hispanic, Asian” etc. You all are being insensitive to race as well. All black people aren’t the same. There are hispanic blacks, asian blacks etc. Please…narrow it down. Because you, too, are being insensitive in your post.

CLAIRE
    please tell us your thoughts on the @barbiegabon instagram run by Katy Perry. If you find it as offensive as we do, I’m sure you could assist us in urginging her to remove it

40. CitCat21 says:

The chair isn’t real, it’s a mannequin. Article states that. So stop asking “why the black women agreed” to do it, she didn’t. However, even if she did (her perogative), the company intended to send a message of dominance and show how “different” the subject of the article is as contrast to the chair. Just about everything in the room is white- except for the dominated and abused black female. They wanted something shocking and offensive to draw attention. End of story. And hopefully end of publication.

41. This is hitting on more than just racism, it is touching women’s rights in my opinion as well. As globalized as this world is now, they are no more excuses about other countries not knowing and understanding race issues. No excuse at all. I do not care if it is suppose to be art, it is offensive to women of color, all shades not just african american. Everyone is accountable for their actions and should own up to it and take whatever results come for their actions.

42. Cameron says:

Wow, there sure are a lot of comments on this article from people who DIDN’T EVEN READ IT. That is not a black woman, that is a mannequin of a black woman. And they make that mannequin chair in white formats as well. People are really going to have to get over the fact that black/white makes good visual contrast which is really all this is.

People are also going to have to learn to understand that it isn’t MLK day anywhere other than the US.

43. Free says:

@Cameron I did read the article and I’m also aware that the chair is a mannequin, but for you try and simplify that the meaning behind the chair is a good “visual contrast” is insulting! I wouldn’t care what Holiday it is, the fact that a human would try to imply superiority over another human is disgusting made all the more because of her choice in chairs.

44. I really like this site, but I don’t understand why you MUST post such garbage. What is the purpose? What do you gain by posting this shit. Yes, it’s a black holiday and black people who support other black people must be subjected to this shit. I really want you to think and answer what is the purpose of posting negative content about black people? Maybe you can do a post on why YOU must post negative shit like this. We are black, we are subjected to this negative shit daily. None of us are immune. Research negative thought patterns, it breeds depression. I come here daily because it is owned by a black person. There is so much more positive things that can be reported.

45. Helene says:

Readers the black woman chair is also a doll it’s not alive is everyone blind.

46. seanna says:

this is some BULLSHIT TOTALLY disrespectful !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. Claire says:

@TheFashionistaChic We report what’s going on. Would you like us to whistle along and act like such egregious instances don’t happen? Perhaps if we call people out, it will encourage them to rethink their approach; or it can be an indicator that we should not support Buro 24/7, Garage, or their affiliates.
    Us acting like something isn’t going on is not the answer.
    Ignorance is not bliss.
    We should strive to be informed, no matter how hurtful or offensive the image.

48. lisa says:

My issue is that, people do this all the time knowing that ALL they have to do is apologize and everything will be ok. demeaning is demeaning in any nationality so when something is depicted that degrades an apology shouldn’t be ok. We should stand against the person during and after the apology.

49. aries says:

I will definitely not support Buro 24/7 or Miroslavia Duma anymore. that is just done in poor taste and to do it on MLK holiday. Duma knew exactly what she was doing.

50. Piye says:

Where can one inquire about the purchase of that chair?