July 9th, 2014
Blacks in Fashion, Fashion News
On Garner Style: Please Excuse my Blackness

So last night, I was trolling around for fly Fashion Bomb readers wearing Shop Candy Bomb tees (where y’all at?), and came across an interesting post on Fashion Bombshell Chastity Garner’s site called, ‘Please Excuse my Blackness.”
garner style candy bomb andre leon talley t-shirt
Apparently a few of her white Facebook readers were not pleased with how many models of color she featured on her Facebook page, and asked, “Why are most of your models black? There are some pretty white girls that are big too. Just asking!” She wrote, “…On any give occasion I do my usual rounds at the drugstore check out to pick up fashion magazine and there can be six different magazines with six different white faces on the cover. Now I wonder if any of these commenters went over to the Facebook pages of Vogue, Glamour, and/or Elle and commented on the similarity of their models. Did they ask why are there so few people of color on your pages? Why is diversity, in this case, only important when it comes to diversifying in the interest of a white person? “

Glamour-August-Issue-Cover-520x707
elle us august 2014
August 2014 covers of Glamour and Elle

She went on to say, “It’s important to see your images portrayed in media. While those two ladies wanted to see themselves on my little space on Facebook, I think their own prerogative didn’t allow them to think about what they were saying and maybe the insensitivity of their comments to me as a black fat woman who rarely sees her own imagery except on the Facebook page she calls home. This brings me to the t-shirt that I am wearing in the photo… In the end, it’s all about having choices. So to those two commenters, I say feel free to take what you need from my blog, but you should also research bloggers that you feel that represent you racially, because you will always have the choice to find your imagery in abundance. Me, on the other hand, I will have to take the images that I am rationed or create my own.”
chastity garner shop candy bomb andre leon talley t-shirt
All I can say is: Amen sister! Though we’ve diversified over the past few years, we still get flack, particularly on Instagram, about the amount of black women, models, and celebs we feature. But the fashion world is still far from diverse, and we’re doing our part to showcase that beauty comes in all colors, shapes, and sizes.
At any rate, head on over to Chastity’s blog to read more here. Just sharing a good read!

22 Responses to “On Garner Style: Please Excuse my Blackness”

1. N. Otulana says:

Claire, I so truly appreciate you and Fashion Bomb Daily. I follow you on instagram also and do check FBD daily, and all I can say is keep on keeping on sista girl. You are absolutely necessary in the modern colored girl’s fashion lexicon. Oh and please make a Lena Horne tee!

2. southern says:

3. Lisa says:

Well said Chastity! We want more representation; if they don’t like it they should swerve.

4. ZZ says:

Awesomely awesome…*runs off to follow her instagram*

5. oh lala! says:

Time to put them in their place…why should it be always about them?

6. ASM says:

Preach!

7. S says:

Awesome! Well said.

8. Kckanuck says:

I truly love and appreciate the work that Chastity does. I believe that woman of all shapes and sizes (and colour) should have fair representation in fashion.

Unfortunately, as a Caucasian woman I take offence to Oh Lala!’s comment: “Time to put them in their place… why should it be always about them?” I find your statement derogatory. Should I have said that about you, I would have been called a racist. Why is it OK for you to make such comments about people from another race then your own? Not every Caucasian person feels the way that the few comments mentioned in the article do. So, rather then lump us all together as “them,” why not try to embrace those around you who show you love and acceptance for who you are, not what you look like.

Peace and Love :)

9. LawyerLady says:

Chastity for President!

10. Milaxx says:

One of the best responses to privilege I’ve seen to date. Chastity is not only beautiful, she is a class act!

11. DeeDee says:

@Kckanuck you clearly missed the point entirely…..and its even sadder that you don’t even realize it. To understand you would have to dare to understand the true definition of “racist” and dare to remove the “white privilege lens” from which you have viewed her comment (you know that one that hears someone’s legitimate outcry of unfairness but then immediately says “well what about me and my imaginary pain and hurt feelings”)

-that said…i’m here for blk women in fashion and not for a race debate with the poorly informed. Back to oogling over the fashion and beauty on this blog. Claire your killing it!!!

12. Abbey says:

I completely agree. I have heard this same complaint from white women so much over the past year, like the #whitewomenrock campaign. Many of them refuse to try and see media through the eyes of women of color. Love this article!

13. Jennlynn says:

Well said indeed. You know we take offense to stuff everyday. Not just one comment that is said and its the end of the world for some people. I tell people at times its said when this world is still not in the know that we are all the same just different shades. Its sad when race is always at the back of peoples minds. Not enjoying what is happening.

14. Marsha says:

Thank you @DeeDee!

15. Jessy says:

Go Chasity! Tell them to first show you letters that they’ve written to the editors of Marie Claire, Elle, Allure and Lucky advocating for more women of color within their pages.

We, as a group, are constantly inclusive without receiving inclusiveness in return. Giving women of color some shine in the homogeneous fashion industry does not need defending…sometimes it’s not about shunning them, it’s about FOCUSING om celebrating us!

16. Natasha says:

Having certain types of privilege is elucidating :sarcasm: :eye_roll: :thug_shrug:

17. Chrisrine says:

Well stated. Enjoy reading your posts.

18. Nikki's says:

Thank you Claire. I follow and live by you fashion blog. B/c you look like me. I can look at your page and find the right shade of lipstick that I think looks good on me (by the way I did for essence fest.) Plus you and your staff don’t try to change to fit into what you think main steam beauty is.

19. Amen!!! I commend her on her response!! I have also gotten that question from a co-worker that was like “Where are all the hot white moms at?” And I had to tell her nicely, if you feel like that’s something your missing, maybe you should create it….this is for mommies and wives like me, in all it’s imagery.

20. Great response and thank you for posting this!

21. Dion says:

Thank you DeeDee because I did not have the energy nor the time to explain how foolish that woman sounded. You said it clear, and smart. Chasity WE LOVE YOU!

22. Jen says:

White people want their hands in everything! even our black blogs, fashion, Music, etc.