June 30th, 2014
Fashion, Fashion Discussion, Fashion News, Trend
Red Carpet Trend: Pelvic Bones

Over the past 8 years that I’ve been running this here blog, I’ve noticed that red carpet moments have been getting more and more risqué.
Totally sheer dresses and navel grazing deep plunging necklines have given way to the new cleavage: pelvic bones.
sevyn-streeter-bet-awards-2014
Sevyn Streeter sidled up to this trend at last night’s BET Awards, as did Keke Palmer, who flaunted her hips in a Spring 2014 Alon Livné dress equipped with sheer panels.
keke-palmer-bet-awards-2014-alon-livne-dress-saint-laurent-pumps-jlani-jewels
Mere weeks ago, Kendall Jenner set the internet ablaze at Toronto’s Much Music Awards in a Fausto Puglisi stunner with slits up-to-there.
Kendall and Kylie Jenner walk the red carpet at the MuchMusic Video Awards in Toronto
And last November, Iggy Azalea jumpstarted the trend, wearing Alon Livné to the EMA awards.
MTV EMA's 2013 - Red Carpet Arrivals
I guess the sky is literally the limit when it comes to slits. I can only honestly wonder: what’s next?
anja rubik anthony vaccarello dress
Until the next sartorially titillating red carpet moment, I must ask: are you feeling this trend?
112030PCN_Hilton
Images: Getty

24 Responses to “Red Carpet Trend: Pelvic Bones”

1. Serenity says:

Lose 1 hand of strip poker and these chicks are completely naked….

2. Ayana says:

I think it’s a bit much. It leaves nothing to the imagination. One little slip up and everything will be out in the open. Not really feeling the part time stripper trend.

3. KiloKush says:

It works if you have apparent hip bones like Kendall and Anja but Sevyn is a bit too curvy for it…and Keke took a risk. So yes for skinny girls!!

4. Micah says:

Kendall and Keke looked the best!

5. LuLu says:

This is a recycled trend, nothing new about it. Americans and our views on how the female anatomy should be shown… *rolls eyes* WE ARE TRAINED TO BE SEXIST AND ARE NOT EVEN AWARE WHEN WE’RE SPEWING THIS BS

I was more “offended” by Sevyn’s black outfit (the one that Hairston wore as well)….

“It leaves nothing to the imagination”

What do you imagine is behind the clothes, a baby elephant? A super-soaker gun?

6. LouLou says:

Yes to LuLu’s comments! :)

I like this trend! I think Iggy’s and Kendall’s versions were the most interesting b/c they WENT THERE.

Sevyn’s bottom half looks cheap — I wish she had gotten rid of the chains and just WENT FOR IT.

I look forward to seeing updated versions of this trend

I am by no means ‘prudish’, but I just don’t find showing the pelvic bone cute or sexy or whatever at ALL! I mean, are we now taking risks for the sake of taking risks?? I’m confused. I can except it if it’s aesthetically pleasing or works for the garment, but I just personally don’t think it looks good, no matter how skinny or curvy you are. #myopinion

^ ^ ^ ^ accept not ‘except’ (I am a grammar prude lol)

9. eSSe_J says:

Sigh. Nothing wrong with showing skin, long as its tasteful and classy (if that”s what you’re going for).
    I think Sevyn looks the best in this trend BECAUSE of her curves. Pointy hip bones jutting out of a elegant dress is not sexy AT ALL. Maybe for rock climbing or something.

10. dyshaun says:

Just like any other trend or clothing item, if it works for you, it just does. It would help if we would let go of feeling as if we will be judged bc of what some other woman wears. I cant imagine why you would care otherwise.

11. iheartkeya says:

The tittle’s funny and kinda shows how far this generation is willing to take things as far as showing skin and bad behavior (I know that wasn’t the intention, that’s just what I thought). But I love the way Kendall Jenner rocked it because everything else was covered and she made it look really classy. I would actually wear that. Keke Palmer and of course the model in the white dress looked nice too. This is one of those trends that isn’t for everyone and can go really right or really wrong.

12. jeda says:

im not here for it

13. Cin says:

–“It leaves nothing to the imagination”

What do you imagine is behind the clothes, a baby elephant? A super-soaker gun?–

*snaps* Yaaas Lulu!

14. S says:

I agree with an earlier comment, this trend is not new. It’s been done in the past many, many times.

The problem with trends is Everybody likes to participate in wearing the latest trend. However, NOT everybody Should wear whatever the latest trend may be. What’s sexy on one person is quite possibly a clown costume on another….same trend…different person.

From the celebs pictured above, Kendall Jenner is the only one who the trend actually flatters…(IMHO). Her dress presents the best visual….to me.

I’m old school and they need some draws (drawers)on! lmao

16. Moneboo says:

I think Keke needed to opt out of that outfit for the award show. I’m all for being sexy and classy as a proud 26 yr old. But for the younger female….body to match or nah….this doesn’t seem appropriate. Next thing you know, all the Disney stars end up like ya girl Miley.

17. Crystal says:

It’s tacky. I always dress as if I will run into my father. Now, what I wear for my husband’s eyes only is a different story. That does not say I don’t dress sexy because I do but I wouldn’t show my pelvic bone because it gives the illusion of no panties/look at my hoo-ha and I would be embarrassed to run into my father while sending that message (especially if I were under 30 and single.). I’m old (34), prudish, have a closed minded American view of sexuality…whatever you want to call it.

18. TAMMY M. says:

J Lo. pulled it off quite nice, in that all black dress with the long slit last year. Had Jay-Z getting nervous, lol. The difference is she covered up everything but the leg.

You don’t it all just a little bit.

19. Natasha says:

Immature, I know, but all I could think when I scrolled past Iggy was “I can see your nunnie,”

That said, Keke’s take on it seems more…passable since the “pelvic bone” exposure isn’t the only focus of the ensemble.

Therein lies the issue, perhaps: trend for trend’s sake. If the big deal is exposing private parts adjacent then go for it, but step the game up and do something else with the outfit.

20. Sorry, but it’s just nasty.

21. Nelly says:

What is really up with this trend?! Too much for tv, if you ask me! Believe me, I love to throw on a sexy dress, pair of shorts, skirt or top. I’m not shy about showing off the girls or my legs, but when do we say enough is enough. I do like some of the edgy mesh insets and cut out dresses seen on red carpets and for the club. Then there was already the risque trend of the sheer dresses with the bloomers and bras showing underneath which in some cases still makes me cringe a little. Now we have to push the envelope even more by letting everyone know “yeah, I’m not wearing any panties.” The whole gladiator/goddess slit look is cool, but to wear it past your pelvic bone is just overkill. One strong wind, bend or bad camera angle and everyone has seen your “guess what day it is?!”

22. niksmit says:

I have no problem with nudity. This particular fashion trend is not attractive to my eye. Maybe people who are sexually attracted to women like it? It doesn’t look flattering to me, just odd. I just don’t see the visual appeal of highlighting this part of the body. *shruglife*

23. yes/no says:

This is one of the i dare you that makes me bow and withdraw.is beautiful on them,my main concern with this is how are they gonna sit,how comfortable will they be ?
    just like someone said,is no new trend right now,I think Toni Braxton and Jlo rocked it then when the dare you was mission impossible.Is just no for me.

24. Puckles says:

Whores doing what whores do. Sodom and Gomorrah all over again. The end is near.