June 29th, 2014
Amber Rose, Angela Simmons, Awards, Featured, On the Scene
On the Scene: The 2014 BET Awards
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

The 2014 BET Awards in LA have officially begun and we’re bringing you each ensemble!

600-OTS- BET Awards 2014

Let’s see what the stars sported for the night:

BET AWARDS '14 - Arrivals

It was all about floral for Kerry Washington on the red carpet, who beamed in a strapless Dolce & Gabbana dress in the spirited print. Hot!

amber-rose-2014-bet-awards

Amber Rose doesn’t need much to look gorgeous, thus she kept it pared-down yet refined in a white long-sleeve gown with a v-neckline, cinched at the waist by a gold metal belt. What’s not to like?

ashanti bet 2014 awards michael costello tom ford sandals
Lots of ladies chose white for the night, including Ashanti, who gave body in a Michael Costello gown.

adrienne bailon bet 2014 awards michael costello white dress
Costello couture was also on the menu for one of the night’s hosts, Adrienne Bailon. She looked sun kissed and fabulous, no?
paris hilton michael costello white cutout gown bet awards 2014

And rounding out the Costello girls was Paris Hilton, who has been consistently killing red carpets lately. Chris Rock might’ve been poking fun at her all night, but this dress is no joke. She looks hot!

eva-marcille-2014-bet-awards

Eva Marcille resembled a tall glass of milk in a white long-sleeve number with cutout detailing. This woman had a baby five months ago…work, Eva!

nelly-2014-bet-awards

Nelly followed Eva’s lead, also opting for all-white, given some flair with embellished gold loafers. He’s always swoon-worthy.
Regina Hall white suit bet awards 2014
Regina Hall slipped on a slick white suit.
gabrielle union bet awards 2014
Gabrielle Union showed off her thigh high boots in a frock equipped with a high slit.
faith evans haute hippie dress bra showing
And Faith opted for a Haute Hippie tuxedo dress with her entire bra showing. There are times when exposing your bra can work…but this is not one of them.
kenya-moore-bet-awards-2014-victoria-beckham-gown

Kenya Moore flaunted her curves in a tangerine-hued Victoria Beckham cutout-detailed gown with a contrast black waistband. Yes, Kenya!

emily b 2014 bet awards
Emily B looked bodacious in a custom Orange sorbet hued two piece.
zendaya emanuel ungaro

Zendaya Coleman is a fashion risk taker, and she definitely went against the grain in a blue and black two-tone Emanuel Ungaro Resort 2014 bomber jacket and high-waist maxi skirt with a thigh-high slit. She finished her look with a fitted cap, black bandeau top, and crystal-adorned, t-strap peep toe sandals. I love her style and thought certain elements of the ensemble were fun, but this wasn’t one of my favorite Zendaya looks.

499630923MB00209_BET_AWARDS
Michelle Williams flashed some leg in a forest green cutout dress from Olcay Gulsen’s Spring 2014 collection, accessorized by Saint Laurent sandals and a Swarovski clutch.
keke-palmer-bet-awards-2014-alon-livne-dress-saint-laurent-pumps-jlani-jewels

It was back to the future for Keke Palmer who was gilded in a sultry, futuristic number from Alon Livne, $775 Saint Laurent Janis Platform Pumps, and JLANI jewelry. This was definitely not what I would expect from Keke, but my verdict is…hot!

tamera-mowry-housley-bet-awards-2014-saint-laurent-cap-toe-pumps

A taste of the exotic punctuated Tamera Mowry-Housley’s black and navy python-embossed and zipper detail dress, which were anchored with $825 Saint Laurent Snake Embossed Silver and Black Cap Toe Pumps. Wasn’t she absolutely gorgeous?
angela simmons 2014 bet awards  Valery Kovalska Fall : Winter 2014 dress

Angela Simmons bet on black in a Valery Kovalska Fall / Winter 2014 dress and Giuseppe Zanotti Crocodile sandals.
Laura Govan wears a 4 Love & Liberty by Johnny Was top, Kora Rae Spring : Summer 2014 skirt (style First Born Embellished Leather Skirt; $309), and Erickson Beamon earrings bet 2014 awards
It was also all about black for Laura Govan, who added textural elements in a 4 Love & Liberty by Johnny Was top, Kora Rae Spring / Summer 2014 skirt, and Erickson Beamon earrings.
499630923TT00095_BET_AWARDS
John Legend literally looked hot in a black leather baseball jacket and black jeans.
tatyana-ali-2014-bet-awards

Tatyana Ali skewed sultry in a pink form-fitting halter gown with a cutout bodice.

lil-mam-2014-bet-awards

Lil Mama matched her new copper ‘do with an orange strapless structured Alpana and Neeraj cocktail. This dress…hot!

eniko-parrish-kevin-hart-2014-bet-awards

A forest green suit was on the menu for Kevin Hart, while his girlfriend Eniko Parrish layered on the romance with a black sheer lace dress and cutout sandals.

karrueche-tran-2014-bet-awards

Karrueche Tran played host on the red carpet in a custom braided rope-effect fringe dress by Seth Chernoff.

charli-baltimore-2014-bet-awards-balmain

Charli Baltimore loves Balmain! The rapper couldn’t be missed in a silver quilted design from the iconic French fashion house’s Fall 2013 collection, topped off by Jimmy Choo Lance sandals.

sevyn-streeter-bet-awards-2014

Hip bones really are a red carpet trend, as Sevyn Streeter showed hers off in a white ruffle crop top and cut-up-to-there white maxi skirt.

bria-murphy-bet-awards-2014-giuseppe-zanotti-sandals

Bria Murphy kept it simple yet sexy in a blush pink satin crop top and pencil skirt, completed with Giuseppe Zanotti Sandals in the same shade.

neyo-bet-awards-2014

Ne-Yo channeled Pancho Villa, J.Crew classic knits, Rick Owens edge, and the of-the-moment white sneaker trend all in one look. Oh boy…this was a doozy!

jennifer-freeman-bet-awards-2014

Jennifer Freeman went bold in a neon pink halter gown and blonde waves. Though I loved the ‘fit, her hair color washes out her skin tone…I think some low lights or balayage coloring would be perfect.

kyla pratt bet 2014 awards
Even a pair of Christian Louboutin Impera pumps couldn’t save Kyla Pratt’s matronly look.
raven-goodwin-bet-awards-2014

Being Mary Jane actress Raven Goodwin added some pops of color to her black and white printed dress with coral accents. A few inches on or off the frock would have been best, but other than that, this was fab!

erica-hubbard-2014-bet-awards

A sheer black, long-sleeve lace dress with an embellished heart motif was Erica Hubbard’s choice for the night. Hmm…one too many focal points were at play here.

stephen-bishop-bet-awards-2014

Being Mary Jane actor Stephen Bishop gave us all a helping of eye candy for the night in a navy cardigan, grey tie, baby blue shirt, white trousers, and brown leather loafers.

claudia-jordan-2014-bet-awards

In case you hadn’t had enough of plunging necklines for the night, Claudia Jordan added to the trend in a pale yellow poet-sleeve blouse with a front slit.

lolo-jones-2014-bet-awards

Lolo Jones showed off her enviable abs and chiseled arms in a printed crop top, matching high-waist pencil skirt, and sky-high colorful platform sandals.

Who had your favorite look at the awards show?

Images: Getty

47 Responses to “On the Scene: The 2014 BET Awards”

1. G. Banks says:

KEKE P. KEKE P. KEKE P. KEKE P. YAAAAAAS! I love everything about her look, even the platforms everyone seems to hate so much. She killed it the whole BET weekend!

2. amber says:

Keke slayyyyyyeddd. yasss bish!

i also think the bet awards should be slightly more formal. there are so many fails.

3. Cass says:

Keke’s dress is on point, but the hair and shoes failed to bring it home. Details on her dress please!

4. hahahaha says:

Lil’ Mama looks great!
    Zendaya…nope!
    Keke Plamer….another NOPE. I expect looks like that from thots like Draya not Keke.

5. Visionkindarosy says:

Claudia, Eva, and Keke those are my pics

6. Jazzy Jay says:

I must at I’m not surprised but once again disappointed by the number of women who look like glorified video hoes. A little skin is ok but come on!!! All the nipple and side boob stuff is getting tiring. I guess class is outdated now. Also this is (one of the many reasons) why the other people laugh when black people have awards shows. Go figure.

7. Jazzy Jay says:

Kerry, Tia, Kenya and Raven, thank you for showing style and class for the women of color tonight!

8. LuLu says:

The only one worth taking about is Kerry Washington

I know Ms.Wintour is gagging right now like she did for the Tony Awards….and not in a good way

9. Nakia P says:

A lot of bad choices. I guess Tamera by default.

10. Nakia P says:

The original post didn’t include Kerry and Eva.. I choose them.. I love Keke but didn’t love the cutouts, I like that she’s normally so tasteful

11. nikki says:

I’m sorry but Keke is a no. She looks scared and doesn’t have the persona to pull of a dress like that.
    Kerry Washington looks fab.
    Other than that I don’t get why people don’t understand why black award shows aren’t taken seriously. Its Because 90% of the people that show up are nearly naked, look like they are going to the club or just threw on whatever they could find.

12. CanV says:

Ummmmm, *major side eye* I LOVE Keke’s dress. Its one of her best looks ever for me. I even like her makeup, and I usually HATE her makeup. I only wished she had of closed her mouth.

Sevyn Streeter: Pretty girl really bad makeup choices, always really bad makeup choices.

I love Kerry Washington, but this was just too safe and thus boring for me.

You know something’s wrong when Amber Rose is the main one bringing chic and elegance to the table.
    (No shade intended….well maybe a little shade….)

13. Shayla says:

Amber Rose & Nelly for the WIN please!

14. Terra says:

Oh, Lord, no wonder P.Diddy laughed at the fashion fails of the BET awards last year LMAO!! It would seem that no one paid attention to his cackles. Good grief, this is a mix bag of disasters on all levels!!

15. Seya says:

Tamera did it for me

16. elle says:

Loving regina hall, kerry washington, stephon bishop, nelly. on the fence w/keke palmer loving the top half the bottom eh.
    @jazzyjay Isn’t bet awards comparable to the mtv awards shows and artist come dressed in all type of wrong. So why laugh at the bet awards.

17. Danny71 says:

Keke dress is a yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss I need that dress in my life

18. SashA says:

Kerry, lil mama, tamera and that is all. This was a wtf moment for sure.i am very disappointed with this year’s fashion choice. I like keke’s outfit but think it’s a little much for the BET awards. Stephen bishop looks good!!! zendaya I see what you were trying to do but umm nooooo noooo nooo.

19. Natosha Macintosh says:

Amber Rose and Kerry Washington!!! The rest were terrible fails.

everybody looks blah

21. RHONYC says:

“Charli Baltimore loves Balmain!”

for tha WIN!!! HELLLERRRRR!!! :-D

22. KiloKush says:

Bria Murphy is a poor mans Rihanna…

23. BLS Styles says:

Keke had the best overall look. I liked Lil Mama dress as well. No one blew me away though…

24. Dee says:

Rachet ass show!!

25. snazzy2008 says:

Chants: “CHARLI…CHARLI…CHARLI…CHARLI!”

26. LuLu says:

Industry black folk lack creativity. Damn near EVERYONE and their mama wore white, but the gag is, white makes you look HUGE, and half of these heifers forgot to go on a diet/get their workout on before the awards.

PSA: Michael Costello is NOT for everybody. In fact, he’s not for anyone. He’s a one trick pony that got lucky in February when he created Beyonce’s dress. Every single creation looks the same since then! Three heifers in MC???? And it was a travesty!! 2 of them squeezed their asses in that gown when they know they shouldn’t have….

I’m still confused as to how Keke slayed in that royal blue pantsuit, and then flopped with this dress. It’s ugly! And who plays sheer cutouts at the thigh? The dress is so tight at the bottom…

Laura Govan and Erica Hubbard, why just why??

Tatyana Ali, here is some breast tape. You’re welcome.

Karrueche, you let Edward Scissor Hands help you put on your gown, huh?

Lil Mama, that dress is everything, the wig/color is not.

Kyla Pratt and Jennifer Freeman, no and hell to the no.

Oy vey!!!! My eyes, I can’t unsee the mess….

27. LuLu says:

And the fact that the majority of you are saying that Keke killed it, tells me that nan single one of you on here can dress to save your life. I already knew Claire couldn’t, but sheesh…

28. anika says:

All award shows has bad fashion on the red carpet no just BET..That’s why the show fashion police is a show.But back to this red carpet.Being sexy isnt about how short the dress can be or how much breast you can show or how tight my dress can get. And i have to agree that Micheal Costello collection is like a d.j mustard track same concept..Spandex,spandex,and more spandex.with some lace..A

29. anika says:

All these pounds of weave and make up takes away from these outfits.I can imagine the Hip Hop awards show..Just bra and panties walking around.I wonder how does these people sit down in these dresses. All these awards show are not taking seriously.It’s almost like you need to say a black affair attire to even attend.Some of the material look so heavy to wear and hotI can’t wait until this boby con era disappear.and the showing my bra run away and never return.You can sexy in something a little lose fitted and longer that your fingertips.

30. IMO says:

There were no fashion “wow” moments for me unfortunately. Tamera and Eva were the best dressed by default.

Some trends I noticed in the BET Awards were:

1) the obvious – most women wearing white (probably because of the heat)
    2) men wearing hats (Pharell, Neyo, Usher…list goes on)
    3) women wearing cut-outs (showing pelvic bone and/or boobs)

None of these trends produced any really remarkable results though, unfortunately, in my opinion.

32. LouLou says:

Karuche looks like she JUST stepped out the 90s. SMH.

Keke tooks risks – and we are talking about her – I’d say her mission accomplished.

Lil Mama and Charli look washed out. Angela and Gloria usually look so much better this, I expected so much better from both these ladies.

There’s SO much to be said about fit. Like much else in life, if it doesnt fit it doesnt work.

33. iloveshoes says:

I had to take a deep yoga like sigh before I prepared TO SLANDER THE SHIT OUT of a few of these ppl.

Before I begin, Amber Rose baby you rarely get anything wrong. You looked fabulous.

Faith Evans: Tacky. Go sit down coke head.

Gabrielle Union: You never cease to amaze me with your LEVELS of FAILS. A suede black thigh high boot with a damn near floor length white dress? In hot ass LA? All that money and you’re bummy. Bye.

Emily: You disgusting oversized pig wrapped in lemon peels. I don’t ever wanna see you in person. You should have NEVER got your chest, stomach, hips and ass did if you wasn’t going to keep your weight down. You’re forever a no until you stop desperately trying to be a slim thick you pig. Go to the gym. Eeew.

Zendaya: You’ve been disappointing me ever since this Aaliyah fiasco. You’re a kid tho so I’ll give you some room for growth.

Michelle: -_-

Gonzo aka Laura Govan: You need a 1000 hail Mary’s.

Karoochie: -_-

Charlie Baltimore: I wish you would retire into a corner where’s there’s plenty of sunlight. Who or how did you get your claws on Balmain? Like how?

Poncho aka Neyo: You’re traaaaash. Andalay ya ass up out of any future award show red carpets.

Kyla: stay home. Just stay home next time and continue being a mama to your girls. You HAD TO HAVE borrowed/rented them shoes to pair them with that monstrosity left over scraps from the dressmaker put together for free dress.

Everyone else was decent enough.

34. c says:

Karucche, Bria , and especially Gabi (suede knee highs, I’m so confused)…please exit stage left.

Say what you want. Amber looks the best. Classic and simple (and a good bra) can take you far some times.

And I’m going to say it’s the camera angle that is making my curvy girl crush EmilyB look crazy.

35. Krys says:

i actually liked what LOLO was wearing and would like to where to purchase the outfit..her stylist should have paired it with another shoe though.

36. Jen says:

NO ONE got it right. No one. I wanted to give it to Kerry (who’s not even dressed for the occasion), Lil Mama (but that wig…), or Jennifer Freeman (that hair color).

I’m sooo overrrrr skintight, thigh-high dresses and sliced-into-lingerie gowns, epecially with waist-length weaves that cover up any detailing. Unfortunately, that’s 90+% of the night’s looks.

37. Rosie says:

Disappointing. Everyone squeeze themselves into the tightest, revealing dress they could find. Naked doesn’t equal sexy.

38. Ignes says:

MESSSS, why do the females look so bad. They would have been better off turning up in t-shirts and jeans.

The only nice dress was Michelle’s and Lil Mama’s

39. Jessy says:

Tamera, Kenya, Amber Rose, Regina, Eva and Adrienne ’tis all.

40. S says:

LOL…..some of these comments made me literally laugh out loud.

I will only say that Amber you looked lovely dear. I’m pleasantly surprised. I liked her red carpet look more anyone else’s here. She looked really nice.

I will let my girl Kerry slide. She’s a new mom and maybe not feeling like a fashionista right now.

Everyone else….just too much or not enough or just NO don’t ever, ever wear that again. I think some of these celebs have stylists, some have “pretend-to-be” stylists and some are their own stylists.

41. JEG says:

Amber arose was the ONLY one who got the white trend RIGHT! She looks the most polished and put together.

I don’t see what most of you see with KeKe dress. I just don’t like it she looks like a robot.

Stephen Bishop for the win out of all the men.

Everyone else: Fix it Jesus :(

42. Bre Bre says:

Faith Evans… WTF? She needs to fire her stylist or fire herself if she style herself. Showing your bra after 40 is never fashion…. it’s more of a “Grandma, your bra is showing” type of deal.

I am so sick of Laura Govan trying to give life and slay… First of all, no shade, but she’s unattractive. When you are unattractive… you must smile. You just can’t give face. Second of all… something about this new found boy is awkward and it shows in every outfit. I guess that’s what happens when you don’t lose weight naturally.

I am very disappointed in Gabrielle Williams. The suede boots in the LA weather. No bueno…. Granted I’m from DC and don’t believe in boots in the summer even tho, I know Californians do that.

Kerry Washington is the spokesperson for simple and classy. And I can appreciate it. When you have REAL talent, you don’t have to be a fashionista.

Not feeling Zendaya’s get up.

Angela Simmon’s should’ve choose another shoe. It was too much. Her body is sickening tho… Love it. Makes me want to go Vegan… NOT! #LoveChicken

Maybe the outfits were a mess because nobody takes the EBT awards serious?

43. Natasha says:

For better or for worse, there’s a lot to see here so thanks for the pics, FBD. Tamera’s makeup stood out as most memorable.

44. A says:

Who styled Kyla Pratt & Karrueche ? :(((

Amber, Kerry, & Keke for the winnnn!

45. AshaAndriana says:

All of the women posted here need a stylist ASAP(or fire their current one) because only about three women in this whole post are doing anything for me. This makes the BET Awards even worse because of the extremely tacky dresses that come down that red carpet. Do they just not care? Is the BET Awards not worth putting your best effort into? I am so confused :(

46. niksmit says:

Amber Rose wore my favorite look.
    I also enjoyed Claudia Jordan, Eva Marcille, Regina Hall, Emily B, K. Tran, and Raven Goodwin’s looks.

47. Lola Reggy says:

Jikes, are these really celebs and people with money? Autch so much here that hurts my eyes. Just terrible. I am going for Amber Rose on nr.1 and Eva Marcille on nr.2. Well maybe Paris’ dress is no joke, but her earrings, shades and shoes are. And the rest, I’ll pretend I did not see that….