June 23rd, 2014
Celebrity Style, Fashion, Fashion Discussion, Kim Kardashian
Discussion: Is Kim Kardashian West a Fashion Icon?

I was just looking through a series of Kim Kardashian pictures, and thought to myself: she’s one bad bish! Whether or not you agree with her family’s level of exposure or the way she came into the limelight, one thing we can all agree on: she stays DRESSED, even with a baby in hand.
Kim Kardashian takes baby North West to the Givenchy store in Paris

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West head out with baby North and Kris Jenner - Part 2 **USA, Australia, New Zealand ONLY**

Kim Kardashian and Kanye West head to the Chateau de Versailles to start off their wedding weekend
Kim Kardashian and Kanye West go shopping at Colette before having lunch at L'Avenue in Paris
kim-kardashian-beverly-hills-maison-martin-margiela-bodysuit-joseph-red-leather-pencil-skirt
kim-kardashian-paris-balmain-fall-2012-dress-1

Kim Kardashian and Serena Williams hit the streets to shop in Paris **USA ONLY**

Sure, she doesn’t hit it out of the park each time–who does?
kim-kardashian-usc-shoah-foundation-20th-anniversary-gala-balmain-blazer-mcqueen-shirt-lanvin-skirt
Kim Kardashian finishes up at Craig's after Lunch with her Mom
Kim Kardashian's Paris Visit Balmain Fall 2012 Beaded Embellished Top and Midi Skirt
Kim Kardashian and Kanye West were papped stepping out in New York City
Kim Kardashian vs. Christina Hendricks in Wes Gordon's  Silver Metallic Lattice Embroidered Pencil Skirt
But 9 times out of ten, she’s serving body, face, hair, everything!
1 Kim Kardashian's Hugo's Restaurant Alexandre Vauthier Shirred Black Turtleneck Sleeveless Dress and Azzedine Alaia Python and Bell Sandals
Kim-Kardashian-Kanye-West-Beverly-Hills-Calvin-Klein-Crop-Sweater-Skirt-Giuseppe-Zanotti-Sandals

_Kim-Kardashian's-Elton-John-AIDS-Foundation-Academy-Award-Party-Celia-Kritharioti-Red-Gown

kim kardashian vienna press conference max mara spring 2014 white dress and coat
She even shimmied her way into Anna Wintour’s good graces, going from being cropped out of pictures on Vogue.com

kanye-west-vogue-gallery_kim kardashian met gala anna wintour crops kim out of picture

To covering Vogue.
kim-kardashian-kanye-west-vogue-magazine-april-2014
Of course her style evolution wouldn’t have been quite the same without Kanye by her side. While some decried how he changed her style, few can deny that she’s certainly skewed more streamlined and sleek under his watchful sartorial eye. They just make a great looking couple.
kanye-west-kim-kardashian-new-york-city
kim kardashian north west kanye west tom for lace up sandals brown

kim-kardashian-the-webster-miami-givenchy-spring-2012-runway-peplum-cutout-dress-bottega-veneta-chain-minaudiere-3

Kim and Kanye head to the Madison Square Garden for Kanye's concert
But would we give her fashion icon status? An article on Style.com about fashion icons defined an icon as someone who has “…affected the way other women dress.” Their list, though from 2010, included the likes of Sarah Jessica Parker, Chloe Sevigny, Kate Moss, First Lady Michelle Obama, Jennifer Lopez, Lady Gaga, and the Olsen Twins. All very stylish ladies–but do you think it’s about time Kim Kardashian were added to the list?

Kim-Kardashian-Camera-Shopping
kim-kardashian-casa-casuarina-kardashian-kollection-turtleneck-vintage-azzedine-alaia-dress-azzedine-alaia-sandals
kim kardashian balmain fall 2014 daily mail festival
Kim-Kardashian's-Crustacean-Restaurant-Calvin-Klein-Red-Knit-Crop-Top-and-Matching-Pencil-Skirt
kim-kardashian-the-hollywood-reporter-22nd-annual-women-entertainment-beverly-hills-max-mara-coat-tom-ford-sandals

3 Kim Kardashian's Art Basel Miami Proenza Schouler Appliquéd White Lace Cut Out Gown +  Lindsay Lohan's Mark Fast Black Knit Dress and Azzedina Alaia Black Circle Sandals

83 Responses to “Discussion: Is Kim Kardashian West a Fashion Icon?”

1. Anon says:

Sharp dresser, Yes. Icon, No. Fashion Icons usually take many risks and pull them off. She does not. Her outfits seems to always be structured to look perfectly put together. Kinda like her seemingly fake personality. Lol shade no shade. An icon like Rihanna or Cher, always take risks

2. Anon says:

Carrie Bradshaw (original series character) was a Fashion Powerhouse. Now that was an icon. She wore many wtf outfits, but they worked and we loved it.

3. SMV says:

She is a well dressed celebrity. Like most are.. someone’s muse.If Rihanna is a style icon then Kim K is right behind her.

4. Bella says:

Kim is the b*tch you love to hate #thatsall …. Fashion Icon NO … Simple and well put together YES !

5. 2 Cents says:

So to be a fashion icon, you have to flash your boobs (which she does), but also wear crazy $hit and look ok doing so?
    I’d say Victoria Beckham is the opposite of that…she always looks well dressed and put together. And I’d give her fashion icon status, along with KK.

I actually love Kim’s style and agree she’s most always put-together. Even when she’s not, she STILL has people talking…lol. But, based on the definition, ““…affected the way other women dress,” I wouldn’t say she’s a Fashion Icon. She hasn’t necessarily affected the way I dress – it’s just good styling. People like Madonna in the 80′s – her style affected the way ppl dressed. That’s what I think about when I think of ‘Fashion Icon’. But Kim K’s style is definitely on point 9 times out of 10.

Kim has been wearing the “same” 3 outfits/styles for YEARS. she always looks great but really how many times can you wear a high-waisted skirt and tight top.

8. Exhibit_REY says:

Out of all the Kardashian women, I think Kourtney would be considered best dressed. Also, I do believe that Kim Kardashian definitely influenced the way some women dress. I remember a few years after the first hit the scene, girls were definitely going to hair salons and hitting up stores like Zara, H&M, Barneys, to adapt her look(s) for less. I’d consider her a Fashion Maven as opposed to a Fashion Icon. She really hasn’t pushed the envelope of fashion as of yet plus I’m still waiting for her to have that 1 iconic red carpet fashion moment that every female fashion icon already has. Whether people agree with me or not, I do believe she’s our generations version of Marilyn Monroe but she’s missing a look that would be synonymous with her name. Also, as much I love Michelle Obama and Lady Gaga, neither of them is a fashion icon in my eyes.

9. TT says:

Did you get paid big bucks to concoct this ridiculous post, Claire?

10. Taj says:

I can tell this post will garner many responses and it will be interesting to read what people view as iconic. I believe that Kim Kardashian for the most part dresses beautifully however I don’t think she is a fashion icon. When I think of the word iconic I think of people who push boundaries and dictates fashion rather than following trends.

11. Leah says:

Her style is the same..she well put together I give her that but to me to be an icon you gotta take risk with your style..wear things ppl can’t you’ll off only YOU…set trends..don’t follow it!! Ppl like madonna, grace jones, Rihanna,.. They walk to the beats on their own drums..they don’t follow rules when it comes to fashion..that’s what keep ppl interested in their style…you never know what they going to do next .

12. Niajee says:

Kim certainly has had an impact on the way women dressed. If we considered her early years, I’d venture to say she popularized the Herve bandage dresses and wavy hair look that tons of women replicated. Hell for years all you saw were bandage dresses in the club! I think people don’t consider her an icon because the style didn’t have a strong viewpoint just sex. Her more recent style is is amazing but is it her own? Seems manufactured a la thee Kanye West.Good post Claire! Always here for a good discussion.

13. M says:

Pretty girl, gorgeous clothes but half the time the proportions or something else is off..so nay to being an icon.

14. JEG says:

Tbh she has a lot more misses than hits. A lot of the things she wears aren’t tailored to her body type. I sometimes feel like she’s being forced to be this fashion girl because that’s all she has money and clothes to keep her name in the press. In my opinion a fashion icon has to look effortless in everything she wears even a plain t- shirt and jeans combo. Kim doesn’t do that for me.

JLo is a fashion icon to me because even with all her curves she dresses to what fits her body and slays every time.

15. Diva says:

she is nobody’s icon…. she is a puppet and she doesn’t know REAL fashion….thats why she married Kanye for all the assistance he could offer her in that area. She is not creative and she is clueless to taking a risk that wins.

16. Sasha says:

This is much! A whole collage on Kim lmao. There has been a lot of Kim k posts lately. Fashion icon ? No. I actually think she has hits and miss moments. When she is on then she is really on but on her off days lol she is way off. Although she has been thinking outside of the box lately….she still plays it safe. She plays it a little too safe to be fashion icon. Can we stop idolizing this woman now or nah??

17. X says:

Icon. The woman’s eyebrows alone sparked a revolution. Long, dark, middle-parted hair was on everyone. The smokey eye got a gigantic boost from this chick and her sisters. Not to mention the out of control proportions delicately swathed in bodycon. I take it none of ya’ll ever wore a men’s style blazer with jeans and heels or searched for imitation Max Mara coats online for the winter. Wrong crowd, I guess. As for her new style, the woman can do no wrong in my eyes. Clothes are tailored, makeup is snatched, accessories on point. I am NOT a stan, but I give credit where it is due. This woman dresses absolutely beautifully about 95% of the time. She celebrates her body, she celebrates designers, and she looks stunningly good doing it. Side note, icon does not mean having a varied style, I think it’s more about having a signature style that people can point back to you. I think Kim definitely has that.

18. linda says:

How can Kim be termed a fashion icon when most of her clothes don’t fit and are badly tailored? Just look through the pictures you posted Claire, the fit of her clothes are off. The fabrics are stretched to bursting point, look at her zipper in the jeans outfit, its stretched to breaking point. A fashion icon pays attention to details and dresses in a way to flatter her body type.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

20. Martinique_Fr says:

Hate her or Lover her, PEOPLE Everywhere, including here are always interested and curious to see what she wears… Getting a reaction out of people, ANY reaction is what makes one an icon. Kim definitely has THAT!

21. Anon says:

Fashion icon??? This chick has only recently been invited to sit at the fashion table and ya’ll are ready to label her an icon??? In my opinion, she is still trying to find her footing with the fashion heavyweights…give her some time and maybe she will be able to carry the fashion icon title…for now, she is way too carefully styled, nothing seems effortless like most real fashion icons…

22. Stephane says:

When I think of a fashion icon, I think of an individual who takes fashion risks, seamlessly pulls them off, and also starts trends. Kim Kardashian is polished and pull together (most of the time), but hardly an icon in the grand scheme of fashion. Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love most of her outfits, have recreated them for less, and most of all, she’s trendy which is why she appeals to the masses.

23. YemDarling says:

Kim is a beautiful woman but not a Fashion Icon. Her style is neither evolving or avant-garde. There is nothing unique about Kim’s style: the body-con/crop-top/pencil skit/skinny pants or leather leggings/blazer look did not originate with Kim. When she does go high fashion the cloths seem to wear her and not the other way around because the fit appears to be off and a bit much for her frame. She knows what looks good on her and she continues to wear it regularly (tight pencil skit, tight top or body suit and a blazer) but her style does not wow me. I get that she’s beautiful and has a great figure so she looks good, but that’s all. In fact I’m kind of tired of seeing her on this site because her fashion is not the bomb. I never see her and say “WOW! I would have never thought to put that together” or “She is killing it right now above all others” Instead I say “Ehh. She’s pretty but same Kim, different day.”

Kim is one of the most, if not the most, photographed “celebrity” in this country and her image is widely consumed. She may represent more to other people by wearing accessible styles or celebrating a particular body type. However, I do not conjure her image when I am putting together outfits that I believe are noteworthy. To me, her style is not unrivaled or acclaimed and does not represent iconic stature.

24. Brandi says:

Kim is not a fashion icon & neither is Rhianna. Neither of them have been in the game long enough to earn icon status, nor has either of them been consistently successful in taking risks & pulling them off. Kim usually dresses well for her body type but I think the photos above show why her physique is best dressed in skirts & dresses; pants w/ tucked in blouses do not flatter her figure.

25. oh lala! says:

I agree @ Yemdarling

How is she a fashion icon? Her style is manufactured. She wears the same stuff all the time. Her clothes are ill fitted for her fake body. Her body isn’t suited for high fashion because of her fake hips and FAKE diaper butt. She looks like a caricature of herself. Just because you put a bunch of fancy clothes on a pig, it’s still just a pig. She has a great makeup artist, now she’s mastered the art of full face cake makeup but fashion…..ABSOLUTLY NOT.

27. Jen says:

I’m not a fan of hers, by far, but the woman has had an iconic impact on American fashion—especially for curvy women.

Kim does have a signature look, especially in the beauty department: full brows, bowed lips, contoured face and, perhaps her most famous feature, long, loosely-tousled waves (I STILL refer to the long layers with middle-parted, grown-out bangs and beach waves the KK). Though she’s recently eschewed her , it is still popular in the mainstream. That there is a wave of makeup artists, amateur & pro, on Instagram who focus on creating ‘daytime contour’ looks is no coincidence.

When it comes to her actual style, she, too has a signature look: one that I would term, “glam casual,” that places large emphasis on body-conscious clothing (a revelation for curvy women, who up until fairly recently in American fashion have been told to de-emphasize their curves) and pieces with ’round-the-clock functionality, such as denim, pencil skirts, and blazers. While she did not pioneer any of these styles, collectively they are things we associate with her.

In the same way that we associate Jacqueline Kennedy with American prep, Audrey Hepburn with Parisian chic, and Rihanna with rebellious couture, we associate—whether we want to admit it or not—KK with glam casual. For that, she earns (though I myself begrudge it) her title as icon.

28. 2 Cents says:

I’m grateful that she made CURVY SEXY. Yes, women have been curvy for years, but she made it trendy. And from what I’ve seen of Bombshells, they copy her every move.

JLo is a fashion icon, Victoria Beckham, Sara Jessica Parker, Tilda Swinton, Mirasolva Duma, Giovanna Battaglia, Anna Dello Russo, these are fashion icons to name a few….Kim K is a kid playing dress up

30. Vanessa P says:

I really hope people aren’t letting their negative opinion of Kim sway their opinions of her being or not being a fashion icon. I believe she is. During her equestrian period, she changed the game with boots and of course the blazer. Every where you looked, stores started to sell blazers. Yes she is always polished but that doesn’t mean you can take away her being an icon. She has a impact on what women wear from every aspect to clothes, shoes, hair and of course makeup. Let’s not act we haven’t tried to perfect the Kim K highlight technique.  Unlike Sara Jessica Parker and Victoria Beckham, Kim is not a stick figure. (And thin women, don’t come for me. I’m a proud size zero). She has curves, and she dresses perfectly for her shape. She’s never slutty (IMO), but sexy, shows it when she has to, etc.

So long post short, yes she is a fashion icon.

*RIP to the days where she decided to accent that growing baby bump in all the wrong ways smh.

32. MAC says:

**KK dresses well and knows exactly how to accent the best parts of her body* (which is probably 95% of it) but she doesn’t affect the way I dress. Nor does it seem like she inspires anyone else. I can’t see any fashion company teaming up with her to do any collaborative lines. I’m pretty sure the Kardashian Kollection is all Kourtney.

33. freida K says:

I agree with anon #1, she is a sharp dresser but not an icon. She tends to stick to catwalk outfits, nothing truly original just brand names. She rarely takes any risks. Sticks to her same formula although at times even the proven tight pencil and top fail. Pretty girl, easy style, beauty icon maybe but no fashion icon. Now Kourtney K maybe…

34. X says:

Well said @Jen

35. binks says:

We throw the words epic, legend/legendary, icon, queen/king, etc. around to easily these days. The fact of the matter is we don’t know who’s style and influences would be legendary or iconic until years from now. I do think Kim K. has a certain look/style that is often admired and copied and for the most part she wears clothing well (ironically not high fashion clothing) but iconic…no.

36. Shelly says:

I voted yes. When I think of icons, I think of people that influence trends. As others have mentioned before, she was right in the forefront of the Herve bandage dress craze, and also the blazer with skinny jeans craze. And she did them both with flawless makeup, and amazing accessories. Though she had a tough time dressing during (espevially) late in her pregnancy and when she first got with Kanye after her divorce from KH, I feel like she is looking her best right now! She keeps it simple, but super chic, and I LOVE that about her. I feel like she has finally found the right balance of high fashion and casual. No one icon or iconic style fits everyone…but I know for a fact there is contingent that LOVES her fashion.

P.S. Who else, other than Rihanna and some others, have numerous amounts of hair and makeup tutorial inspired by them?

37. CrazyM says:

Her stylist…is the icon…not her.

38. Love KK’s fashion but she has not changed the game! That is what a fashion icon does!!!!!! Madonna, aaliyah and CARRIE BRADSHAW who turned runway clothes into street gear. Can we have a throw back post on Carrie Bradshaw….

Kim tends to copy the masses in my humble opinion but she does so very well. she can be a fashion inspiration but not a icon.

39. remi says:

Nah….she dresses exactly the models i see in michael kors catalogs…very safe yet luxurious….she doesnt do surprise looks….she always dresses a billionaire’s personal assistant….blazers, office skirts, fitted taylored looks…she always looks like she’s attending a luncheon or a business meeting….FASHION ICONS take risks….fashion icons are unpredictable….with kim, you can always predict her style….it never changes….actually all the 3 of them including their mom dress the same way….those balmain beaded dresses are kims most fashion forward looks this past 2 years….

40. jeda says:

Claire you put up with so much ish on your blog and I commend you. I don’t see why some of these commenters wanna attack you for the stuff you put up on your blog…and the funny thing is that they reading it and then hating. Boo, you still reading it!

Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Kim dresses very well, and she influences how women dress. I also like her presence in fashion as a curvier woman. But to be honest I don’t think we will ever regard her as an icon because of her original claim to fame/shame. Is that right? I don’t know, but it is very telling of the sexist society we live in.
    Blessings

41. Creolecandycrush says:

I think she is an icon .. If we are always looking at her style yes more so than most “celebs” and watching what she will do next and she gets it right more times than not doesn’t that at least qualify her to be one people kill me despite her history and motives or personal life she is a bad one you have to give credit where it is due they knock Kim for having a stylist but everyone else including crowned fashion icons have stylist as well and and being that someone brought her name up *If rihanna is an icon them Kim is as well or right on her coat tails I’ll agree to disagree thow cus to me they are in the same category As far as trend setting and I will proudly admit that I would wear 90 percent of the things Kim wears and rihanna is bad as well ofcourse and does take risk but I swear she misses a lot for me so I don’t feel her looks lots of times.Fashion is very fickle and it’s more of who wears what or who designed what than actually the look of the clothes that’s why I keep it classy and cute and bring out the sexy and Daring if I want to people over think this fashion thing and it can be highly overrated and hyped lol ain’t nobody got time for that

42. Leah says:

Kim K is the epitome of a fashion icon …. is this even a question?? lol

Rihanna not an icon bc she sells scantily clad with overaccesorizing
    Kim wears looks of her own it’s not always runway she has a style and she sticks to it . Icons do not copy, they do THEIR thing

44. me says:

why such the hefty title? what are you trying to start?

kim is nothing other than a talentless celeb who has the designers on her side due to her high profile status. that’s it.

45. Serenity says:

Unfortunately she IS an icon… A fake bootied, fake boobed, low down, manipulative and trashy icon. But an icon no doubt. No one said icons are role models…..

46. 3 Cents says:

@Serenity
    Is she really talentless? To come from a sex tape to the cover of Vogue? To get in the good graces of the elitist, racist fashion elite? Does that not take some type of talent?
    Is it not a talent to stay beautiful, fit, and well dressed? In a way that gets the whole world talking?
    People stay saying the Kardashian clan is talentless, but their talent is in creating something out of nothing. They’re spin doctors. If you think it’s so easy, you do it.

47. Tami says:

I can’t see pass all the drab and boring colors she wears. Thank goodness for her fab hair and makeup though! That gives her some color lol. I dont care for a lot of her looks but people seem to like it. She has nice style but its extremely simple with a twist of elegance.

48. Choco aka Hippie says:

LOL at the worship of KK on this blog.

49. iheartkeya says:

I love Kim (even though I laugh at the shade sometimes lol) but she’s more of a beauty icon than a fashion icon in my opinion. I agree with a comment up above; her hair (so many people even myself copied her dark waves with the short flips in the front and when she went blonde every pretty much followed suit), her makeup (everyone wanted their face contoured and highlighted the heck out of like hers) and her brows.

But even though she’s not really doing anything new fashion wise like fashion icons generally do, people copy her outfits like crazy. But she’s also heavily influence by Kanye (he’s the icon tbh) and Christine Centenera. We all have influences though. I’m torn on calling her an fashion icon.

50. tricia says:

her clothes dont fit properly most of the time, that wouldnt happen to an icon, she still doesnt know how to dress her body. its official claire worships her idol kim k, im convinced claire is doing her best to get in kim’s circle she wants to be her new black flavor of the moment bestie. so much sucking up its stalkerish obsessed.