June 19th, 2014
Beyonce, Fashion, Fashion News
By News

aaliyah rock-the-boat

• So remember that Lifetime Aaliyah biopic that we were just talking about? Well Aaliyah’s family is not happy about it.  Since the family wasn’t even consulted about the made-for-TV film, reports say that they have decided that they will not allow Lifetime to use any of Aaliyah’s music and will do everything they can to block the film from being released. The family is reportedly not against a film altogether, but would much rather a bigger project to stay in line with Aaliyah’s legacy. What do you think? (TMZ)

Beyonce Releases New Wild Orchid Fragrance

• Just in time for summer, Beyonce has announced her latest fragrance: Wild Orchid.  A variation of her Heat line, which was first released in 2010, the scent presents a fresher, more floral side of heat, which should be great for the hotter temps (though it won’t be released until August). Will you be buying Bey’s new fragrance? (MTV Style)

msgm spring 2015 sketch

• In case you thought the menswear shows were over, we’re just getting started. Tomorrow kicks off Milan Fashion Week, and some of the designers have shared a few sketches of their work or of inspiration for their collections. “A sartorial sportswear inspired by Fifties furniture” said Massimo Giogetti, the creative director of MSGM, when asked about his inspiration for Spring 2015. Does that sound of interest to you? (WWD)

dov-charney

• After a few years of tough times for American Apparel — bad sales, backlash because of ad campaigns, and allegations of sexual harassment — the board of the company has decided to replace founder Dov Charney with Allan Mayer and David Danziger. “We take no joy in this, but the Board felt it was the right thing to do,” Allan Mayer said in the statement. “Dov Charney created American Apparel, but the Company has grown much larger than any one individual and we are confident that its greatest days are still ahead.” (The Hollywood Reporter)

fs-been-trill01

• Been Trill and Harvey Nichols makes up the latest collaboration of street wear and high fashion.  The collaboration sees designers like Kim Jones, Hardy Amies, Gareth Pugh, Shaun Samson and A. Sauvage creating everything from tees to shades and double-breasted shearling coats.  In total, the capsule has 15 looks. (WWD)

Photos MTV Style, WWD

19 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Aaliyah’s Family to Block Zendaya’s Lifetime Biopic, Beyonce Releases Wild Orchid Fragrance, and Dov Cherney Ousted from American Apparell”

Have a seat Zendaya!!!!!!!!

2. Blue Ivy Carter says:

She doesn’t even resemble Aaliyah, shes just light skin. Secondly, I would preferably want someone who is much older, because of kissing scenes or love making scene.

3. Gossip4yomama says:

I believe she is a good fit because she is a triple threat. Aaliyah started at 15 and Zendaya is 17, Aaliyah also passed at 22. So they can make Zendaya look older.

4. FLEE says:

I wish they’d stop pushing to make a movie, when her family isn’t supportive of it. What’s the rush? Do it right, or don’t do it at all. Zendaya is a poor selection but then again its a “lifetime’ movie. NEXT! I hope a movie isn’t made or released w/o her family’s participation or approval.

I don’t think Zendaya is fit for the role, she is no where near reminiscence of her, she is simply a fan. I agree with Aaliyah’s family. Especially when there is no permission/consent of any kind from her family, it is straight up disrespectful.

6. Bago says:

I think Zendaya is an excellent choice to portray Aalyah. Since when does an actor have to look like someone to play them? Did Jaime Foxx look like Ray? Did…I can’t think of another biopic and am lazy to look it up.
    Zendaya is a good actress Ana triple threat, give the girl a chance.

7. Bago says:

*and a*

Whether this movie gets made or not, zendaya is only 17 and she will have other opportunities come her way. I cannot believe that in this day and age some folks are still all about color. Bottom line is Aaliyah’s family will never be ok with the movie being made, or be ok with whoever is chosen to play her.

9. S says:

If Zendaya is not a good fit, then who is? I’m just curious. I agree, however, that if the family doesn’t want it, then it should not be done. I also think that Aaliyah was a young entertainer who was “on her way up” the entertainment ladder when she was tragically killed. Why is Zendaya not a good fit to portray her? She has the general look and could easily portray the age range.

Love scenes were mentioned in previous comments. Well Aaliyah herself married as a teen. Marriage in itself includes physical affection does it not? It would be true to Aaliyah’s story wouldn’t it?

10. Frost says:

@Bago, YES Jamie Foxx did look like Ray, lol what a horrible analogy.

Anyway, if a character reminds you/looks like the person they are supposed to play, it helps the movie that much more authentic. Zendaya does not look like Aaliyah. However, Keshia Chante does. I think they only picked Zendaya because she’s more famous.

I’m also peeved that they are going to have Zendaya re-record Aaliyah’s songs. If I’m watching an Aaliyah movie, I want to hear Aaliyah’s voice. One of the reasons the movie Selena was so popular is because they actually used Selena’s music.

11. Keshia can barely handle getting her lines right on 106 and Park. At least Zendaya does have acting, singing, and dancing experience. She is the best choice regardless if she looks like Aaliyah or not.

12. Manny says:

I agree with the family. A lifetime movie will not do. They should do a casting. The actress doesn’t have to be anyone famous, just a talented young lady who resembles Aaliyah. I love Zendaya but I don’t see her pulling this off. And yes Jamie Foxx looked like Ray Charles wth smh

13. coco04 says:

I am (or used to be) a big Aaliyah fan, and I am not that kind of person who thinks she was perfect or glorify her as superwoman, she was simply human and I am so not interested in a bio pic of her especially when it was or is not her or her families will. A film will never show the truth and would just reflect a wrong picture on who she was, whoever she was and that is realy unnecessary.

I appriciated her as artist, because she did not do what she did for fame or money but for the joy.
    If she was still alive, I would’ve be realy glad to get to know her, but she is dead and she made as much of her live public as she wanted and that is all we will (should) get. so let her soul rest in peace.

If she was that kind of person that wanted to be transparent she would have lived a more public live back in those days. But she didn’t and her family knows that and protects their babygirl. It shows how much they loved each other and that they would never sell a family member just for money even after death (like Jackson family or the Houstons…)

14. Bago says:

@Frost, Jaime Foxx was made up to look like Ray FOR THE MOVIE. He looks nothing like him without the makeup.

15. Taylor says:

At the end of the day, Lifetime didn’t consult or even ask her family’s permission so it doesn’t matter who Zendaya looks like! Let her rest in peace.

16. IMO says:

I truly don’t understand why so many had/have a problem with Zendaya playing the role of Aaliyah. I mean, it’s not like she cast herself…
    But I do agree that it should not be done without the family’s approval.

17. Rika says:

I agree! I personally didn’t favor the fact that Zendaya was playing Aaliyah! I felt like it should have been someone else! AND I definitely agree that the film should be bigger to continue Aaliyah’s legacy! On top of that, it’s a little disrespectful for Lifetime not to consult the family!

18. @Alexislovesme says:

Keshia Chante probably thought she had this one in the bag… Poor tink tink!

19. freshfacedfashionnerd says:

SHE DON’T EVEN LOOK LIKE HER DOE ..lol I know that’s what makeup and stuff is for but it was a dumb idea from the jump because trying to make a movie about someone’s life without their family’s consent is just disrespectful. I think I’d rather see the vh1 one. It looks like they had a girl that appeared to really fit the part.