June 17th, 2014
Anna Wintour, Fashion, Fashion News
By News

zendaya-aaliyah-costume-dream-halloween-performance-01

• Disney princess and sharp dresser Zendaya is slated to play Aaliyah in a made-for-TV movie produced by Lifetime.  Tenatively titled Aaliyah: Princess of R&B, the movie will follow Aaliyah from her early success all the way up to her untimely death in 2001.  Zendaya will re-record 4 of Aaliayah’s songs. “She’s been an inspiration and influence in my whole career, her talent still shines brighter than ever,” Zendaya said. “All I wanna do is honor her, show how much she accomplished in only 22 years. She’s beautiful inside and there will never be another Aaliyah, I just hope to share her beautiful story, and make her proud up in heaven.” What do you think of the casting? (Teen Vogue)

• In other biopic news, apparently the Jimi Hendrix film starring Andre 3000 might not be coming out.  Entitled “All Is by My Side,” the film features no music from Hendrix himself, as the team wasn’t given permission by Hendrix’s family, and has been pushed back to a September release (it was originally scheduled to release this month). “We have made a point in the media that this Andre 3000 movie is not authorized by our family, and it has no music written by Jimi,” said Janie Hendrix, Jimi’s sister. Bummer. Were you looking forward to the film? (Page Six)

andrej-pejic-push-up-bra-ad

• In case you thought you had heard the last of androgynous model Andrej Pejic — he’s so androgynous that his first season walking in the menswear shows many thought he was a girl — prep yourself for his next gig.  Reports are saying that the model has been cast as “Sister #4″ in Sofia Coppola’s “The Little Mermaid.” We might be a little rusty on our Disney but that sounds like a small, fleeting role as one of Ariel’s many sisters. Would you pay to see this fashion interpretation of a classic? (Fashionista)

0611Sneakers01CHE.JPG

•  In enterprising news, 10th grader Chase “Sneakers” Reed, who goes to school in Harlem, opened a shop with his dad with $30,000 that came from selling his own collection of 200 pairs of shoes.  Now, out of his shop called Sneaker Pawn, Reed sells sneakers like Crown Jewels for $1,400 and also offers custom-painting on sneakers.  Talk about initiative! (NY Post)

Anna Wintour

• Anna Wintour recently did a candid interview with Suzy Menkes at Central Saint Martins, and in addition to stressing the importance of thinking with the business side of your brain, she gave some thoughts on red carpets. She said, “The red carpet, in the United States, has become too much of a business. It’s a fact that celebrities are paid to wear everything, and to me that sometimes comes across as very manufactured and not individual…I was just recently at the Tony Awards in New York, and, God, they need your help. Let me tell you, it was a disaster.” I tend to agree. What do you think? (Racked)

13 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Zendaya to Play Aaliyah in Lifetime Movie, Androgynous Model Andrej Pejic to appear in Sofia Coppola’s ‘Little Mermaid,’ and Andre 3000′s Jimi Hendrix Biopic Pushed Back”

1. Leelee says:

Zendaya is adorable..but she does not give Aaliyah..An unfortunate casting choice, imo.

They should have cast someone who is at least somewhat reminiscent of Aaliyah.

3. Frost says:

Zendaya looks too young to play Aaliyah. I think it should have been Kesha Chante.

Also, if they are going to do movies based on singers, they need to stop re-recording their songs. That’s the stupidest thing I’ve heard. One of the reasons the movie Selena was so popular is because they used Selena’s real voice. Fans of Selena want to hear Selena. Fans of Aaliyah want to hear Aaliyah, not Zendaya.

4. CrazyM says:

I do hope they won’t allow R. Kelly in the same room with Zen!

5. m says:

No movie dammit. I love aaliyah but no movie is necessary. I was 16 when the trajedy happened and although shocked and hurt, I don’t feel that we need a movie!

I just hope lifetime doesn’t produce some corny movie. And I can’t wait for a black girl to get cast in a Spanish bio movie lol. We 0 -2 first Zoe w/ Nina Simone and now Aaliyah, atleast she does resemble her somewhat but I don’t see her pulling off the spirit of Aaliyah I think she’s going to bring a watered down version to the table. Aaliyah had Soul she was an Isley brothers Vibin spirit.

7. Taylor says:

I always thought Ciara was the best choice if there was ever an “Aaliyah movie to be made. I agree, there doesn’t need to be an Aaliyah movie at all. I don’t like the choice even though Zendaya is doing well with her career. Its crazy that there wasn’t a black singer casts. Even KeKe Palmer or Sevyn streeter would have been a better match. :(

8. Taylor says:

*cast

9. Whitney says:

@Anonymous,
    Zendaya is actually biracial..black and white.

Still not convinced that she was the best choice, but I hope she pulls it off.

10. Jessy says:

To be fair, in the TLC biopic they got Keke Palmer to play Chilli by slapping some Virgin Indian Curly in, and Lil’ Mama had to change her eye color from green to brown to play Left Eye…no complaints there, I see.

11. Lex says:

@Jessy
    Keke Palmer and Lil Mama LOOKED like the people they were playing and they had the spirits of Chili and Left Eye. They did a great job. This girl doesn’t look anything like Aaliyah. Aside from being slim, she looks nothing like her. Plus she doesn’t give that hip hop vibe. Zoe gives me more of a Taylor Swift vibe.

12. Jessy says:

You think they naturally look like the ladies from TLC? Well, since they made some adjustments to look the part, all Zendaya needs is to darken her hair, use bronzer and do her job as an actress and learn to embody the subject’s personality in their work. Just like any other actress taking on a biopic. It’s a Lifetime movie, so that should suffice…lol.

13. iheartkeya says:

As much as I like Zendaya I don’t agree with this decision. But I heard she’s only playing little Aaliyah so I can live with it. I also heard that Keshia Chante is playing adult Aaliyah. Now that’s a perfect choice, I just hope she can act. And side note, there’s a singer maned Sabi who looks a lot like Aaliyah as well. In certain pics it’s scary.