June 7th, 2014
Fashion, Fashion News, Rihanna
By News

• Rihanna is a walking testament to “Y’all gon’ learn today!” Every time someone looks to disrespect or discredit her, whether they are a fellow artist or just a random person on Instagram, she has the most succinct and shadiest of retorts. In the latest episode: Rih takes on TLC who attacked her because of her recent spat of nudity. In response to Chilli saying “We became the biggest girl selling group of all time with our clothes on and that says a lot,” Rihanna posted photos of the group topless on Twitter. Your move, TLC. (Page Six)

jenna-lyons-2014-cfda-awards

• If you ascribe to the cult of J. Crew, there’s news from on high. Well sorta. In continuing conversations about an impending sale of J. Crew, people are starting to talk about the CEO of the company. Currently occupied by retail wunderkind Mickey Drexler, who is widely credited with the current success of the brand, many suspect the position will go to Jenna Lyons, another prominent face in the company. Others believe that Drexler will mold and craft his own successor. “I can’t speculate on that. We’re a team that’s been together. The only reason we did this is because of the team. The team got us here. The team will get us to where we’re going. But I think everyone has to think about a succession plan. And I think about that, too,” said Drexler about the situation.(WWD)

olivia-palermo-matthew-williamson-fall-2014-show-mary-katrantzou-cape-fendi-booties-1

• What’s the best way to ensure that a celebrity/designer collaboration will go well? Take a celebrity whose endorsement caused the brand record sales and ask them to design a few things for that brand. At least that’s what Westward Leaning has decided to do. So for their latest, the eyewear brand has asked Olivia Palermo to design eight styles of sunglasses at $210 a pop. Would you buy a pair? (Fashionista)

melissa-mccarthy-variety-brunch-palm-springs-international-film-festival-asos-dress-jimmy-choo-sandals-1

• If you’re plus-sized and you’re not happy about the designer options you have, you have a friend in Melissa McCarthy; she understands where you’re coming from. “When I go shopping, most of the time I’m disappointed,” she said. “Two Oscars ago, I couldn’t find anybody to do a dress for me. I asked five or six designers—very high-level ones who make lots of dresses for people—and they all said no.” Well, those offerings are about to get a little more robust as Melissa herself is coming out with a clothing line. Are you interested to see her take? (Glamour)

• Have you gotten a chance to see Angelina Jolie donning horns for her new Maleficent movie? Well, 50 cent has, and wanted to try a pair on for size. On Jimmy Kimmel Live, the “Get Rich or Die Trying” rapper released a spoof trailer for Malefiftycent. Not quite sure I’d be rushing to see this one when it hits theaters. (Jimmy Kimmel Live’s Youtube)

21 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Rihanna Responds to TLC’s Comments About Nudity, Melissa McCarthy is Really Making a Plus-Sized Line, and 50 Cent Spoofs Maleficent”

1. MIc says:

TLC is the #2 best selling girl group. No one has ever surpassed the Supremes. They are not only the greatest female group they are the greatest American group in history period with 12 number one hits and 80,000,000 records sold according to Billboard Magazine. All done without the internet or videos. Old school fame.

2. lexi says:

TLC was singing about creeping and being in the red light distract and they got naked too, doesn’t matter if it was a couple times like her pics showed. Also T boz is being hypocritical she defended miley cyrus sexuality. I guess because Rihanna isn’t white, its wrong in her eyes. Yeah they were the best selling group and are legends, but they don’t really have anything to show for because pebbles fuck them over.

3. lexi says:

TLC was singing about being in the red-light district and creeping, which still puts out a sexual image and like her pics shows they got naked, doesn’t matter if it was just once. Also T-boz is being hypocritical because she had no problem defending and praising Miley’s sexuality. I guess because Rihanna is black its a problem.

4. shatirahxo says:

Everyone is always attacking RIHANNA. RIRI is all that! she’s living her life and having fun while doing. and even with her nudity she still come off as classy

5. Elsa says:

T-boz have right,Rihana don’t need this,she must to be more inteligente…she is Young,beautiful,rich and famous what she need more to be happy in her life??

Rhianna blankets insecurity in bravado she will never be a legend

nobody learned anything besides rhianna is mad as usual

Tlc never berated ppl more talented than they were

Rihanna always attacking someone for their opinion

Nicki got way more haters and don’t even do that!

Grow up!

9. Jay says:

What I find hilarious is that the newscaster claimed they singled out Rihanna but I did not ONCE hear them namedrop her! The news station added video of Rihanna but they did not actually mention her.

And everyone is now attacking TLC over an attack they did not claim on any one person (not from this video, anyway).

That’s a real shame because now it’s spiraled out of control.

Also, TLC didn’t say there was anything wrong with sexuality, they said you don’t have to have your boobs out all the time. WHICH IS VERY TRUE, YOU DON’T. Nudity does not equal sexuality and vice verse. Nudity is shown either in a vulnerable nature or a desperate nature, plain and simple.

Modesty can be very stunning but it’s a shame our generation only sees a woman’s beauty when she shows off her BARE BREASTS, and/or PUSSY LIPS and/or ASS CHEEKS.

Anyway, I don’t even know why I’m ranting no one seems to give a shit about rationality anymore.

10. Apple Pie says:

One topless photo doesn’t negate the fact that Rihanna is ALWAYS NAKED. Period.
    At least TLC have got their nipples covered.
    Rihanna always on twitter talking smack, internet gangster, what a moron.

11. erica says:

Maleficent is a must see! Angelina is stunning even with horns! TLC was one of the best ever; however based oh Rhianna’s header someone appears to have put their foot in their mouth!

12. erica says:

**on** sorry

13. Aya says:

I just wish we would stop “slut shaming” each other. Just do you and let live. If you don’t like it don’t do it. Get over it already. If she were not a risk taker and “daring” she wouldn’t have won the award so young and we wouldn’t be talking about her.

14. kanyeshrug says:

Shrug people…are entitled to their opinion. Now whether those opinions were formulated based on jealousy…welp, who is to say. however, in my opinion, people have more to say about people they envy. Whether they were talking about rihanna or not…they need to take a look back as to how they came into the industry (ie. relationships with producers) before they start passing holier than thou shade at other artists. ijs

15. Morgan says:

I do hate the “slut shaming”; all these archaic, oppressive rules on what a WOMAN SHOULD BE. I’m surprised some even of you even leave the kitchen. While you’re busy being that woman, to please society, Rihanna will be busy being Rihanna, to please herself.

Now, I’m very interested in seeing Jenny McCarthy’s line. I hope it doesn’t flop.

16. X says:

I don’t agree with some instances of slut-shaming but I do have a huge problem with people being attacked for their modest views. Personal attacks are just never okay. So done with this current culture of “doing me” and using that as an excuse to NEVER use introspection, while attacking any and everyone else who disagrees. If the purpose is freedom of expression, then goodness, let people express themselves without fear of denigration. I will forever call a spade a spade whether I’m alone in my belief or not, but it seems to me that sheep are still in abundance out there. The only difference between now and every generation prior is that they’re Baaahh-ing on the other side.

17. BougieHippie says:

Whatever about this made up TLC & Rihanna beef…(Rih is like a dog with a bone at this point) but what about 50′s awesome PERSONALITY! He shines on every interview.

18. KayGee Rox says:

I read somewhere that the TLC nude pic was taken for breast cancer awareness…. #awkward

19. Mami chula says:

Rihanna seems to be a unprofessional artist. I liked her when she first came out. She seemed more respectful then.

20. Maryse says:

@Jay some people do and you are really right. I haven’t watched the clip because some people just need to learn to shut up, look in the mirror and not tak everything personally (based on what you said as I didn’t see the clip).