June 3rd, 2014
Beyonce, Fashion News, Snapshot
Snapshot: Beyonce by Juergen Teller for T Magazine

image
image
image

Beyonce by Juergen Teller for T Magazine. An excerpt from the accompanying article:

“Beyoncé is 32 years old. She was 9 when she began singing with Girls Tyme, the group she formed with friends in her hometown, Houston; when the successor to Girls Tyme, Destiny’s Child, first cracked the Top 5 on the Billboard Hot 100, in 1998, Beyoncé was just 16. She never seemed like an ingénue, though: Even as a teenager, she had gravitas. In one of the centerpiece songs on the new album, Beyoncé gazes backwards: “Look at me — I’m a big girl now . . . I’m a grown woman.” But the innocence-to-experience cliché doesn’t square with Beyoncé’s life, or art. From the beginning her message has been professionalism, perfectionism, power — ideals exemplified in her fearsome live performances and dramatized in songs that view romance through the lens of finance. Hits like “Bills, Bills, Bills” (1999), “Upgrade U” (2006) and “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” (2008) have found Beyoncé figuratively hunched over a balance sheet, weighing the costs of affections dispensed and luxury goods accumulated. She’s a fit star for our new gilded age, and an apt match, musical and otherwise, for her husband Jay Z, another arch-capitalist. In recent years, Beyoncé has toned down the materialism a bit, but ambition remains her calling card. In the torrid 2011 single “Run the World (Girls)” she sang: “We’re smart enough to make these millions/Strong enough to bear the children/Then get back to business.” The song is a postfeminist anthem, sure. It’s also a business plan that she’s followed to a T.”

Read more here.
Images: T Magazine

Posted In
20 comments

20 Responses to “Snapshot: Beyonce by Juergen Teller for T Magazine”

1. andrea says:

meh

2. KDIVA says:

Chick is beautiful! Love the fun and carefree nature of the shoot!

3. Jen says:

Yup. ***FLAWLESS

4. Jazzy J says:

Bey 99% of the time does no wrong.

But I can not with that hair. I can not and I will not. URRRRGHHHH!!!!

5. Lola Reggy says:

First picture is fantastic. The last one, not feeling that at all. @ Jazzy J – Bey 99% of the time does no wrong?? Uhm do not let this child dress her self, that is a crime! On tour and on shoots she is the prettiest. But personal style big fat noooooooooo

6. justme says:

Thanks for the link to the article, it was a good read.

7. Beyonce looks white here.

8. Jasmine says:

She is a BEAUTY

9. Nickieluv621 says:

Love the pics!!!

10. Enigma says:

I like the shoot and I love messy hair

11. Melissa says:

She looks great! And kudos for the article for being well written, something we seldom see in pop culture writing.

& in no way, shape, or form does Bey look white in those pictures. I don’t know where you’re from but I’ve never, in my life, seen a white girl that looks like a shapely black woman.

12. S says:

@Melissa, I agree 100%. I don’t know what the litmus test for “looking white” is supposed to be, but Beyonce “ain’t” it. I don’t see a Caucasian in these photos…at all. I also, like pic #2 the best. The carefree, wind blown hair is cool too.

I’m a fan not a fanatic (there’s a difference) but I will say, I honestly don’t think the child dresses that damned bad. Some things she wears I wouldn’t necessarily pair together and other times I think she looks lovely from head to toe. It’s apparent that objectivity gets lost whenever Bey is mentioned….unfortunately.

13. Bee. says:

^^^ Agree with you 100% @S!

14. Hello says:

She does not look white, what are you looking at it’s either you’re too dark or you’re not black enough we gotta stop this it’s crazy moving on she looks gorgeous in the first pic

Materialism? :/

16. TAMMY M. says:

Bey is pretty and her face looks radiant in this photo.

But wet weave will never look chic in my book, it is just serves too much “wet dog” appeal.

17. Hater says:

Love her in pic #2! Bring it!

18. kg says:

urg I don’t know what is going on here.

19. Mic says:

I saw a picture of her with Blake Lively and they both had blond hair and looked identical. Beyonce is such a Hollywood sellout in that to make it in Hollywood you have to be blond. I am so over her Shakira want to be looks…

20. She looks beautiful. Glad she got rid of the braids.