May 27th, 2014
Celebrity Style, Fashion, Hot or Hmm
By Giselle Williams-Thomas

Monica Brown kept it cute and casual over the Memorial Day weekend. She offset her suave hair cut in a Revolution Riche American Dandridge T-shirt.

monica-brown-revolution-riche-dorothy-dandridge-tee

The tee boasts artistic notes with multicolored graphics of stars, stripes and the lovely Dorothy Dandridge (one of the first African American actresses to be nominated for an Academy Award).
revolution-riche-american-dandridge

Although the t-shirt option isn’t available online, you can still purchase this lightweight crewneck version for $155 here.

She looks absolutely adorbs! What do you think?

monica-brown-revolution-riche-dorothy-dandridge-tee

15 Responses to “Hot! Or Hmm…: Monica Brown’s Instagram Revolution Riche American Dandridge T-Shirt”

Love it! I am a Black girl and I have been saying for years that Black beauty are icons should be on more tops. FOR ME, I can’t walk around with white women ie Marilyn Monroe on my shirt.
    Just be honest.

2. Honeybrown says:

@anonymous I agree!….Monica is so beautiful to me. I know some people don’t always agree with her fashion sense, but you must admit this woman has been the game for years and has not aged a bit so for that she always gets a thumbs up from me. Also, because she was my idol growing up and I have hardly ever seen her dress provocative and exhibit this bad girl Behavior that ppl are infatuated with these days….. Anywho Dorothy Dandridge was one of the most beautiful and talented women to grace this earth and I’m so here for this shirt. I will be placing my order pronto.

Details on her shades PLEASEEEEE!!!

4. J. Nicole says:

While I would never wear anything with the American flag on it, I’m so glad to see a Black woman pay homage to a silver screen star that is a woman of color. I get so annoyed seeing us wearing Marilyn Monroe. While there are many other glamourous women of color from that era (I did a blog post about it long ago #ShamelessPlug), I think it’s about time this trend gets going.

5. jasmine says:

i don’t care for the flag motif, but yay for celebrating dorothy dandridge.
    fyi – hattie mcdaniel was the first black actor (male or female)to be nominated and WIN an academy award in any category. she may not have been as glamorous as dandridge, but she still should be recognized for her accomplishments.

6. binks says:

Agreed J. Nicole. But I hope other boutiques and designer take note of having more black icons/stars on t-shirts or sweatshirts.

7. Kate says:

i think it’s hot!!! i love the look. the vibe it sends is cool, funky & hip…kinda like our TWILIGHT FANGS SWEATER by Mad Love (see below) which we carry at StyleCloset. I adore your blog and i always enjoy going thru your posts and images. Cheers!!!! :D

8. toots says:

yessssss I cant do Marylyn sorry never understood why black girls love r black icons like Dorothy need more shine

9. snazzy2008 says:

I’m a Dorothy Dandridge Stan. Dorothy was ‘our Marilyn’. While I appreciate her image being used above, I dont particularly care for the flag design. I became frustrated with all of the Marilyn material too and went on etsy.com to create a custom order crop T shirt with Dorothy Dandridge on it using the original photo from above. It turned out really cute and unique.

10. MelyB says:

I love Monica’s look. And while I appreciate them paying homage to Dorothy Dandridge, I don’t care for the flag backdrop nor the photo-shopped tats on the sweatshirt. Love @Snazzy2008′s idea of creating our own t-shirts featuring our iconic entertainers.

11. iloveshoes says:

I see I’m not the only one not feeling the flag but loving The image of Ms. Dandridge.

I have not ever worn any article of clothing with the image of a white woman/person or any one for that matter who isn’t black like me. It IRKS me to see woman of color wearing images of white women PERIOD. While too many black women do idolize Marylin Monroe, I for one simply just feel that she was a beautiful woman. Just because a person isn’t black doesn’t mean I can’t admire their beauty. Otherwise YAY! for seeing a beautiful black icon on a tee that’s a woman.

@Snazzy great idea.

12. Enigma says:

I must agree it would be nice to see more of our icons on t-shirts and sweaters.

I also want details on the sunglasses.

13. binks says:

@Snazzy what etsy shop did you use? if you don’t mind me asking.

14. KITANA says:

I love the flag, but then again Im American. People think nothing of wearing something with that British flag on it, so this works for me*. The fact that my girl Dorothy is gracing it is even better. Now I wanna see one with Diane Carroll.

15. tasha says:

I LOVE It! We sell a Dorothy tee also on our website. Check it out! Kudos to Ritchie.