April 14th, 2014
Fashion, Fashion Discussion, Fashion News
Fashion Discussion: Do You Still Shop Designer x High Street Collabs?
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

It seems as if every day we write about a new designer collaboration with some popular high street brand. This week it’s Alexander Wang X H&M, next week–who knows? Saint Laurent for Topshop? These partnerships always cause a frenzy, with style-minded men and women doing everything they can to get their hands on trendy, affordable pieces from those designers whose wares usually cost as much as as, say, a limb. But with all the craziness that often surrounds these collaborations, is it  really worth it to shop any of these one-off collections at all?

hm-wang-margareta-van-den-borsch-alexander-wang-logo-high-res-full-logo
Sure, the rise of designer collaborations is a beautiful thing, and has  changed the landscape of the industry, whether or not you think that’s a good thing. Take for instance, this year’s Peter Pilotto’s offering with Target. Bringing all of that printed goodness he’d previously reserved for the runway with a price tag that wasn’t more than most peoples’ monthly rent? It sounded like a girl’s dream come true. But the offering (much like others) was so good, and the prices were so reasonable, it was only a matter of time before every single personal style blogger or Instagram star worth her weight in ‘Likes’ would be rocking a version of it, adding her own twist with some expert layering or a fabulous set of heels.

peter-pilotto-for-target-lookbook-5

Not that there’s anything wrong with that–the democratization of fashion has allowed women to participate in a world that is hard to get in to. However, if these collaborations are mostly churning out pieces that are so identifiable that they’ll be quickly out of fashion before you can even think about the next style merger, is it really worth all the trouble?

versace-hm-skirt

And then, there is the issue of designers creating nearly-identical pieces from their high-end collections for these one-off capsules. As Fashionista editor Alyssa Vingan lamented a few months ago, the pricey comic book-printed Phillip Lim sweater she saved up for just didn’t seem as special when the Target version was cropping up on girls all over the country.

jessica-alba-31-phillip-lim-for-target-launch-event

With all the confusion that goes on for these collaborations, perhaps  time and money is better served waiting for a sample sale. Even though you’ll pay more for a pair of shoes or a clutch, you know you’re getting top quality items–and you won’t be seeing what you bought on the next chick (or dude!) everywhere you turn.

diane-kruger-peter-pilotto-for-target-launch-party-peter-pilotto-for-target-blouse-skirt-charlotte-olympia-clutch

Do you still get excited for/ buy designer collaborations? Or do you usually sit them out?

~Jihan

photos: Getty, H&M, Target

17 Responses to “Fashion Discussion: Do You Still Shop Designer x High Street Collabs?”

1. fifi says:

Funny how I just had this convo with a friend dsy

2. mer says:

Funny how I just had this convo with a friend days back. There’s nothing as good as getting designer goods at a very affordable price, but still, there’s nothing worse than having practically everyone having the same item. For me, i just cheapens the worth of the item. Also, It’s really off putting having to create a gaping hole in your account by splurging on an item, and finding out some high street design label has a cheap direct knock off just months after. These days I prefer to just make my own clothes when I can cause hey it saves me a whole lot and I know I ain’t seeing it on the next girl

3. fly won says:

Still? Never have

4. Cassie says:

The quality of the items is the issue for me. You really do get what you pay for and I feel like they just slap these clothing items together. I no longer am interested in these collabs as a result.

5. Amber says:

I like the collabs, as well as buying high end pieces. It doesn’t bother me to see anyone with the same piece on. That’s what style is for…to interpret what you would do with an item for differentiation.

6. Tricia says:

I never have. Mostly because you damn near have to line up the night before in order to have a chance to purchase anything and I. WILL. NOT.

7. Char says:

I enjoyed this post! For designer collaborations I tend to sit them out because of the mere fact that the piece stands out so much they are in and out within a month. I don’t cater to trends or have patience for rude shoppers. However, if its something simple and classic that I can wear as a staple I will consider it.

8. DeeFresh says:

I’ve only purchased one piece and that was the Peter Pilotto X Target sweatshirt. I’m starting to lean more into online sites like Gilt and Ideeli to get my fixes. I’ll even hang around Net-A-Porter to see what they have. I probably won’t go back to get another piece from a collaboration though. They were cool at first but after that Missoni monstrosity concerning back orders and ridiculous stocking issues, I’m not going to purchase through them either as often or at all.

9. Enigma says:

I’m definitely checking for the Alexander Wang collaboration. I buy pieces if I like them and a fan of the designer. For me it is as simple as that.

Its fashion and it’s trendy now but that could change, do designers think that creating collaborations with high street stores cheapen their brand? I’m assuming not so much, so I’ll continue to shop the ones I like.

Some people look at designer fashion as “exclusive” and want to be a part of that so they feel some type of way when the masses are enjoying this “exclusivity”
    For example, the original comic sweater was extremely popular and already an “it item” (hence, the blogger saving to get it and become part of the it crowd) but then felt some type away when it became too popular and available to everyone… she/it wasn’t exclusive anymore.

As @Amber stated prior part of fashion is… to interpret what you would do with an item for differentiation.

10. Stephane says:

I’m usually intrigued by the collabs, but after just a few days they are released, you see everyone and I mean EVERYONE wearing them. At that point, they lose their appeal. Definitely checking for the Alexander Wang x HM though, I very much appreciate that HM has finally gone online.

11. momo says:

No i dont waste my time for example the peter pilotto collection was bad in terms of fit and quality of fabric. The fit was so off im not wasting my money on shit that everybody is going to wear for the sake of being called a fashionista.

12. momo says:

13. Doc says:

Fashion is everywhere. It is not exclusive to any specific store or person or designer. As long as the designers are coming with something good it doesn’t matter if it’s from Saks or Walmart, I will be here for it. You know it’s strange. By my knickname, you might have guessed that I am a doctor. It seems one of the main complaints is that you see these fashions everywhere. I literally meet and see thousands of people and new faces every year. And I recall for example, the Target x Missoni, Neiman Marcus, Phillip Lim collaborations and the Lagerfeld x H&M collab that kind of spearheaded the whole thing 10 years ago, and in all that time and ALL the people I have seen in the 3 major cities I have lived in, I have only seen ONE other person out in public wearing something from a collaborative capsule collection. I really feel like people exaggerate the pervasiveness of the clothing. Again, I say judge based on the merit of the designs and the products. If the collaboration produces good results, then I’m all for it. Peter pilotto x Target was garbage, but Philip Lim was great. Alexander Wang for H&M will get the side-eye. His designs are nothing more than over prices ripped t-shirts. I can’t imagine anything good coming from him working with H&M.

I love the collabo collections. However, I do get what everybody is saying about it sucking to see everybody & their momma wearing the same pieces. LOL! I notice I don’t have that problem. I have bought from several of the collabos collections, but I tend to steer away from the pieces that everyone is gravitating to. Like the BOOM sweatshirt from Peter Lim/Target, as much as I wanted it… I passed. I got a multi floral blouse & fitted sweatpants with the multiple zippers from the collection instead. I still get a lot of compliments on both. Matter of fact, people didn’t even know they were from 1 of the collabo collections.

15. t says:

I always go in with high hopes but no….I don’t bother buying them because the quality is often horrible, you can pay the same price for similar without the name and the quality is better

16. Amber says:

17. Amber says:

I love collabs! My favorite were Anna Sui, Alexander McQueen,Missoni, and Zac Posen. I live collabs because I cannot afford their runway looks. I follow all of their designs every year and I admire their high fashion looks. I think that the ones that I mention has stayed true to their designs and don’t look cheap at all. I am definitely looking forward to Alexander Wang with H&M