April 3rd, 2014
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Kendall Jenner Bold Braids

• The folks at Marie Claire recently caught wind of this new peculiar hair trend that Kendall Jenner, Cara Delevingne, Heidi Klum, and Ke$ha have been sporting. Get this–it’s braids… attached to your head! Who ever heard of such a strange style? The magazine sent out an unfortunate tweet with a photo of young Ms. Jenner rocking 5 cornrows on the side of her head, proclaiming that the reality star was taking “bold braids to a[sic] epic new level.” Kind of like how Bo Derek did back in 1979, right? At any rate, black Twitter never fails, and completely roasted Marie Claire for this serious misstep. Folks have been wearing cornrows (or as Marie Claire calls them, “undercut braids”) for centuries, obviously, and with the exception of Alicia Keys (who, oddly enough had the oldest picture in the entire gallery of celebs jumping on this ‘new’ trend) there were no black women featured in the post. Marie Claire soon tweeted an apology, “We didn’t mean to offend or imply that cornrows were new. Our tweet was poorly worded.” adding, “We thought her hair looked great and recognize women have been styling their hair like this for ages.” …. ok then! I’ll let you guys take this one. (Twitter)

army unauthorized hairstyles

• In more hair news, the army just released memo AR 670-1, detailing acceptable and unacceptable hairstyle standards for female soldiers, which many say discriminate against black troops. On the list of “no-no” ‘dos? “Multiple braids” (read: cornrows) that are more than 1/4″ in diameter, and twists. A petition has since cropped up on the White House website, calling for a policy change, as these styles actually help women with textured tresses manage their hair. The army argues that “neater” hairstyles help headgear fit better. “I’ve been in the military six years, I’ve had my hair natural four years, and it’s never been out of regulation. It’s never interfered with my head gear,” Georgia National Guard Sargent Jasmine Jacobs told the Army Times. She usually wears her hair in twists, but thanks to the new guidelines, she’s “kind of at a loss now with what to do with [her] hair.”  Jacobs consider the new rules “racially biased,” adding that “the lack of regard for ethnic hair is apparent.” The petition currently has over 10,000 signatures, and will likely collect more. “I think, at the end of the day, a lot of people don’t understand the complexities of natural hair. “ What do you think of the new rules? (Army Times)

• We’ve got until the end of next month before we find out the lucky winners of the very first LVMH prize, and the folks over at the luxury conglomerate want you to get to know this crop of young designers who you’re bound to be hearing a lot from in the future. Every week until May 28th (when they announce the winners), LVMH will release videos in which you can get to know this year’s contestants. Check out the first four videos at the website, and watch Simone Rocha‘s bit above. (Fashion Bomb Inbox)

New mum Jennifer Lopez will run triathlon in tribute to her six-month-old-twins

• Self magazine editor-in-chief Lucy Danziger is leaving the publication after serving at the helm for the last 13 years. She will be replaced by Cosmopolitan executive editor, Joyce Chang. Self’s ad pages have dropped 21 percent through May, so it looks like Chang’s been put in place to improve the numbers. (WWD)

20140403-155506.jpg
• Peter Som‘s DesigNation collection for Kohl’s goes on presale tomorrow! You’ll be able to get first dibs on 20 pieces from the St.Barth’s-inspired range. (Fashion Bomb Inbox)
~Jihan

20 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Black Twitter Goes off on Marie Claire For Cornrow Tweet Misstep, New Army Grooming Guidelines Ban Natural Hairstyles, and Self Magazine Has A New Editor-in-Chief”

1. Daniella says:

I think we should be sensitive to our battles here. The pride we have in our hairstyles is widely insignificant to the non African-American groups until it became a trend again. Everyone wears their hair how they want to, regardless of cultural trends and differences or what’s trending. As women, we try new colors, braids, twists, extensions and all sorts. However, we can all admit that typically white women do not wear cornrows. While I think the word EPIC was a stretch and by far, an exaggeration, I think Marie Claire was trying to promote a hairstyle that even our community has rocked on AND off for years. Lately, since braids of all sorts have been more popular, to Marie Claire it was a bold move by Kendall, but a fashionable choice overall.

2. Meika says:

It’s funny when white people jump on the band wagon this it’s all of a sudden new and beautiful. Black women have been wearing braids our entire lives from little girls to adults they don’t see it as a fashion trend or even in their definition of beauty. Going a step further we as black women are known to have full lips but it was never considered beautiful until Angelina Jolie. We are known for having ample bottoms and that wasn’t considered beautiful until Jennifer Lopez. Now everyone wants full lips, a big butt and things that our culture is known for but yet on us it isn’t considered beauty.

3. Tanya M. says:

There are so many IMPORTANT things that the black community needs to be worried about, and not stressing over a tweet by Marie Claire, the Jenner girl’s hairstyle, and The U.S. military ban on certain hairstyles.

4. joy says:

I’ve been in the Navy for 14 years; I don’t about the army grooming standards, but those regulations have been in place since before I joined the Navy. People are making a big deal out of nothing. The main point is that the hair looks neat and professional when wearing a military cover.

5. Jessy says:

Sorry, very few people want to sit around and ruminate on the black community’s various issues, world hunger, etc. 24/7. Nor do we all think the exact same way, so why try to regulate millions of people’s thoughts/topics of discussion? You’re not interested–great, you’re free to move on.

Anyways, regarding Marie Claire– same crap, different day. The whole appropriation thing, where they pretend that something that has been around in this country for years is suddenly brand-new is bizarre and reeks of a lack of awareness, creativity and substance–perhaps even showing a bit of undercover envy.

I think twists, locs or braids that are bunned during work should be acceptable enough, it’s too bad the Army is spending taxpayer dollars brainstorming on ethnic hairstyles.

6. Crystal says:

Serious misstep? Really? This is why people turn a deaf ear to our issues. We cry about any and everything. They never said the hairstyle was new and they featured black people in the article. ‘Black twitter’ is just a big mob of bullies.

7. Kat says:

Those regs have been in place for years, yes, but it is an issue because it places Black women at higher risk of disciplinary action. Many women do wear these styles, but when there is a written rule banning them, a superior can call on you to change your hair to be in compliance at any time, which could mean chopping of your hair, getting a wig ( ironically, that is not banned), or a relaxer, which is the least practical during deployment.

What exactly is un-neat about soldier #3s hair? What is the reason behind that being banned? The rule also bans hair shorter than 1/4″ on a woman, so we can see that it’s not just about neatness and fitting into uniform. It really should just be about being neat and fitting into gear.

8. MISS MEDUSA says:

INFORMATIVE ARTICLES, BUT VERY DETRIMENTAL! STOP CALLIN’ US BLACK AND AFRICAN AMERICANS…DAMN!

9. Natasha says:

The Marie Claire tweets? (shrugs) I didn’t see a big deal on that one. And, other cultures wear braids y’all…and have been for generations and centuries.

The military regs get my goat, though. When I read through the document yesterday I was like “Umm, why do ALL of the ‘unauthorized’ photos have a person of color?” Pettiness is not my strong suit but that did something to me. Vets and active duty soldiers should be supported not nagged about this kind of thing.

@Meika . I totally agree!!! Wholehearted truth!

11. Anon says:

I hardly call those skimpy braids bold and epic.

12. Terra says:

White media, please pay attention!!!! Google is your friend. You can find more bold and epic cornrow styles than four measly braids on your local street. I think people expect more from a magazine that is supposed to be featuring new trends. #lazyjournalism

13. jeda says:

It pisses me off when I see other black women belittle the issues that affect us. If we don’t stand against the small stuff, then there’s no way to stand against the larger issues.
    Blessings

14. Katie says:

Seriously, if you don’t care for the conversation then leave. If you don’t care that you culture is being appropriated then leave. It’s simple. I signed the petition and I did a signal boost on facebook. Hopefully people will sign.

15. niksmit says:

+1 for what Jeda said. *smh*

16. Aisha says:

I am a former active duty soldier and, the racism runs rampant amongst blacks and what is considered proper grooming according to “regs.” I have seen white males mostly commissioned officers (not above regs) with hair styles clearly longer than regulation permits and it goes “unnoticed.” I have seen black men with hair within the regs that were told to cut their hair because they had curls! They even go as far as to say that a black woman could not have blonde hair lol! The reg about hair color states that a soldier can not have more than one color in the hair and that the color must be naturally occurring. Commands often purposely misinterpret that to mean a black female can not have blonde hair… Not true it means no one regardless of race can have an unnatural color such as fire engine red, purple, blue, etc… Not that a black woman can not have blonde hair! They do this to keep blacks in the military disproportionately subjected to disciplinary action thus decreases the chances of promotion and increases a soldiers chances of being chaptered out of the military. Yes this is real I have lived and witnessed this form of institutionalized racism first hand.

17. KITANA says:

@JEDA

I really hope these aren’t black women. Most likely they’re white trolls hoping to enforce their ideologies. If they are black women it speaks to all the issues we have as black women, collectively around the world. We have NO solidarity amongst each other and its really saddening and weak of us. I swear I cannot take some of these kneegrow bed wenches and coons…

@Natasha

Yes, obviously other people wear braids duh. But Where did braids originate? *A F R I C A*. So the question was never who wears braids or not. The issue is not even just the braids. Its the whole hairstyle which first surfaced in the 90′s. We can pull up a ton of photos with black celebs like Left Eye and Aaliyah with the exact same style. It was never deemed “bold”. Blacks need to stop being so eager to give our culture away. If thats not important to you then move on…

18. binks says:

@Jeda AGREED! Sadly some people can’t see the forest for the trees. Sadly, some people are so blasé and passive about things and overlook things in order to “not rock the boat” that they end up erasing themselves altogether. You can fight little AND big issues at the same time it doesn’t have to be an either/or thing. Marie Claire knew what they were doing (and let’s keep in mind this magazine rarely caters to WOC or feature WOC on the regular), cultural appropriation IS REAL. Nothing about this style on Kendell is new, epic, bold and fresh Alicia Keys, Jill Scott and countless of others did it better.

19. Monica says:

This is irritating. I do feel like some people are being insensitive to the issue about certain hair styles being banned in the army. The military is our job. And at a job you must look “professional” at all times. Understandable. We go to work each and every day like everyone else. What if they banned these hairstyles at your job? would you feel the same way?

20. kat says:

@Monica: uh yes. I work in the medical field and am taking my first break now after 21 hours. I would be PISSED if they banned locs(the same locs that I’m CONSTANTLY getting complimented on by people of ALL races)and EVERYONE would hear about it if they did! I’ll be damned if someone is going to dictate how I wear my hair -so long as it is neat and professional- while I’m up in here saving lives. And for what it’s worth, neat and professional in my book includes kinky-textured hair.

Go back and read Aisha’ comment. Use your brain and THINK for a moment: why is our hair texture considered unprofessional? Why do we continue to accept this as fact?