March 25th, 2014
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Pharrell Williams GQ April 2014

• From that Vivienne Westwood Arby’s hat to speculation on whether or not he’s some kind of mystical warlock, the world is buzzing about Pharrell Williams, who covers this month’s GQ. In recent weeks, the album cover for his latest effort, G I R L  has faced a bit of scrutiny from black women who were disappointed to see that a black girl was not featured on the cover. Williams clears the air in this interview for all those up in arms:

“It’s insecurity. You can be anything that you want to be, and what I chose to do is put my friends on the cover. The girl that was closest next to me is black, but they didn’t know that, so they jumped the gun. And it’s like: ‘Yo, you don’t need nobody to represent you. You represent you. You represent the best version of who you could be. You go out there and change the world.’ Because I’m black, and I wouldn’t trade my skin color for nothing. But I don’t need to keep wearing a badge that tells you that I’m black every time I do something! I’m black! My mother’s black, who’s a big part of my business; a black woman runs my business; and I’m married to a black woman. What more do you want?”

Read the full article at GQ.com (GQ)

Tom Ford E-Commerce

• Tom Ford launched an e-commerce site today, and in honor of the big debut, the designer’s unveiled a campaign featuring a harem of naked models, whose only coverings are a few accessories that don’t really hide anything. But after all, who needs clothes when you’re wearing a pair of shoes worth thousands of dollars? (Racked)

Derek Lam Fall 2014 14

Derek Lam is joining forces with Jamie Wolf to design jewelry for the New York City Ballet’s 50th anniversary. The collection, inspired by legendary choreographer George Balanchine, will offer necklaces, bracelets, rings, and earrings, all in rhodium-plated silver with black and white diamonds. 20% of the proceeds will benefit the New York City ballet, with prices ranging between $120 and $2,050. Derek Lam’s Madison Avenue boutique will also carry the collection starting April 16th. Can’t make it to New York? You can also get the line at jamiewolf.com.  (WWD)

Google Glass

• Google is really trying to make the Google Glass thing happen. Last we heard, they were pairing with Warby Parker to help them design stylish frames the folks would actually want to wear. Now, they’re teaming up with Luxottica, the same brand that owns Ray-Ban, Persol, and Oakley, to create fashionable frames to lure in style-conscious tech geeks. Google will first work with Oakley and Ray-Ban to create this “new breed of eyewear.” That means, Google Glass Wayfarers could soon be in our future–and I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.  (The Cut)

~Jihan

10 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Pharrell Williams Covers GQ‘s April Issue, Tom Ford Unveils New E-Commerce Campaign, and Google Glass Taps Luxottica to Design Stylish Lenses”

1. Mrs C says:

I,000 likes for Pharrell’s comment. That’s all

Oh whatever Pharrel.. u only see half white looking girls on their arms and in the videos.. yeah he’s black but he stills wants the not so black looking girl in the video.

3. Blue Ivy Carter says:

Oooohhhhhh Derek Lam can get it!!! i love asian men.

4. Bee. says:

Thanks Pharrell.

You may not be a celebrity, but you have a voice. Use it. People need to stop placing their political agendas on these artists.

@ anonymous that’s unfair. Look at his “frontin” and “Maybe” videos and his video with 2 Chainz. Pharrell has always made a point to feature darker skinned women in his videos. However, I will say I think Pharrell was a lil misguided on this one. This whole shade issue is such a major thing in our community, I just think it would have been wise to include a darker skinned woman purely because of that. I mean surely he saw this coming?

It says something when THAT’s the thing people immediately focused on when they saw the cover. The fact that he’s having to talk about it in interviews just reinforces how serious this issue is. If it wasn’t such a big deal, it wouldn’t have become a big deal. But it did for a reason.

6. DeeFresh says:

I’m with Pharrell. If he’s black, he’s black. Married to a black woman, business run by a black women, his organization has a lot of black staff… what’s on TV matters not. It’s what you do in the community that makes the difference. I agree: it’s insecurity. Once I stopped worrying about whether or not the next man found me attractive or waiting for an artist to flash a dark-skinned girl (as if we’re STILL only two shades), I stopped tripping. If black comes in all shades, then we do. End of story. He shouldn’t have to prove it every time he steps on stage.

7. mimi says:

What is wrong with you people. Which type of girlsv are “not so black girls“ its either you are black or you are white. The discrimination is not only black or white now its between black girls and light skinned black girls. I can’t deal. Thank you pharel for your very smart answer

Yes to PW in Burberry!!!!

9. Peaches says:

Pharrell does great videos who features black girls, remember “Frontin” which was one of my favorites which had the black girl playing a major role. He gives a load of diversity in his videos!

10. Nickieluv621 says: