March 20th, 2014
Fashion News, Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Spring 2014 Style Inspiration: How to Wear the Sporty Chic Tomboy Trend
By Danielle Nicole

I hope you ladies are ready to switch gears because today’s What to Wear request is all about one of the season’s hottest trends.

Nina writes, “I am a Freshman in college and finally found a style I’d like to portray. I’m really intrigued by this tomboy chic look. It’s comfortable but cute. How can I pull this look off without looking like I’m trying too hard (and for cheap)?”

I’m a big fan of this look as well. The balance between masculine and feminine elements makes for a fabulous fashion moment. And this season’s athletic trend is all about chunky heels, perforated pieces, and mesh detailing. You probably already own a good number of items to create a sporty-chic look. It’s just about knowing which items to pull. To help you set up the proper wardrobe line-up, I’ve created a few styling suggestions to get you started. Let’s dive in…

Compliment a black mesh insert textured pencil skirt with a white sleeveless crop top and a chunky black heel.

How to Wear the Sporty Chic Trend Elizabeth and James Perforated Cynnie Sling Bag Giuseppe Zanotti Leather High Top Sneakers IRO Vanny Bomber Jacket Elizabeth and James Brendan Sleeveless Crop Blouse

To give the look an even sportier feel, swap the heel for a high top sneaker and throw on a black and white bomber jacket, a perforated sling bag, and a leather baseball cap. Lastly, add a bit of edge with a pair of Elizabeth and James Mies stud earrings and a double open arch bracelet.

For look #2, get comfortable in a pair of DKNY black and white two tone leggings and a Tosphop roll back crop tee.

How to Wear the Sporty Chic Trend Leon & Harper Bomber Jacket Alexander Wang Antonia Ankle Strap Sandals DKNY Two Tone Leggings Vince Camuto Janet Drawstring Shoulder Bag

Add a splash of color with a Leon & Harper yellow bomber jacket, a striking handbag, and a strappy sandal. Finish the look with a leather cap or a pair of retro round frame sunglasses.

And although this style was played to death last summer, I’m still here for the asymmetric skort. Dress it up with a varsity letter embroidered sweatshirt, a mesh knit tank, and a classic pair of New Balance sneakers.

How to Wear the Sporty Chic Trend Mason by Michelle Mason Asymmetrical Hem Embossed Leather Mini Skirt New Balance Sneakers Marie Tumor 2 Tone Lunch Clutch Torn by Ronny Kobo Racer Back Mesh Knit Tank

Grab an oversized leather clutch bag and complete the look with a gold hoops and a sporty watch.

And that’s it!
Some of the pieces are splurges, but I hope these looks have given you some ideas on how to tap into the tomboy aesthetic.
See anything you like?

9 Responses to “Spring 2014 Style Inspiration: How to Wear the Sporty Chic Tomboy Trend”

Love Love Love!! #inspired

2. Kitty B. says:

I’m here for all of this!!! Time do a little shopping!

3. @Alexislovesme says:

LOVE THESE LOOKS and this is SOOOOO my STYLE!

4. Trina B says:

all the looks are my favorite, so on point!

5. Danielle says:

I don’t think the whole sporty chic look is for me, however, I do love that last look. Those New Balance are nice!

6. binks says:

Cute, don’t think I can pull it off but I appreciate the styles.

7. lipstick_bandit says:

To piggy back off of Danielle’s suggestions, the tomboy aesthetic is one of the easiest to incorporate your own personal style and your own personal energy into what you wear. There’s little to no structure necessary to pulling this style off. Be comfortable mixing and matching pieces in your closet. Luckily for you, many fashion houses and stores that have invested their season buys into this trend. To pull off the tomboy look, you need these staple silhouettes in your wardrobe:

Harem/Drop Crotch/Boyfriend Fit Slacks
    High Top Sneakers/Booties
    Tees
    Denim Jacket
    Add feminine touches through including chunky jewelry, experiment with makeup, and great accessories.

And remember, tomboy is not synonymous with athletic. You are emulating men’s street fashion and style. For ideas and inspiration, follow those that have aced this look time and time again. Follow stylephiles like June Ambrose and Marni Senofonte to gain insight and inspiration. Tomboy style is effortless, its interchangeable, its comfort, and above everything else its confidence. Good luck in your studies and your path to self expression. :-)

8. Bee. says:

That blue Vince Camuto bag is LIFE!!!