March 10th, 2014
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Swizz Beatz Karl Lagefeld Chanel Headphones

Swizz Beatz‘s Monster headphones brand has a really cool collaboration on their hands. The producer tweeted a photo of him and Karl Lagerfeld rocking a pair of quilted Chanel headphones at last week’s Fall 2014 show, with the caption “HISTORY HAS BEEN MADE,” and another,“oh yeah and it is #Chanel X #Monster!!! GO TIME!!!” These and other photos from the show posted to Beatz’s account seem to suggest that he and Lagerfeld have definitely paired up for this project, although we don’t know much else about it. Watch this space for more deets! (Complex)

Saskia De Brauw Vogue Italia Abracadabra

• Vogue Italia is catching flack once again for publishing another editorial (shot by Steven Meisel) featuring a Saskia de Brauw  dressed up and painted in “African-inspired” tribal garb–and our obligatory monthly dose of fashion blackface/redface. You would think that after several controversies and outraged think pieces over this same s***t, people in the fashion industry would avoid publishing editorials like this altogether, but it’s clear that the people putting out this imagery simply do not care. At this point, it’s pretty much  a waiting game to see who puts out the next offensive editorial. (Jezebel)

Charlotte Olympia Bogart Bag

• We all love Charlotte Olympia‘s whimsical clutches and island platform pumps, but now the British designer is looking to offer more practical options with the release of two new lines, catering to the working woman’s wardrobe.  The first is a four-piece collection of handbags, including the Bogart, a top-handle style with a pair of matching leather gloves that snap on to the bag. Olympia will also unveil a range of boardroom-appropriate shoes including pointed-toe pumps, and a chunky heel style that will come in black and leopard print. Each shoe has PVC detailing for added spice. Prices range from $1,195 to $2,995 for the bags and $635 to $896.  (WWD)

snapshot-lupita-nyongo-spring-makeup-looks-for-essence-3

• There’s a campaign on Twitter to get Lupita Nyong’o featured in a M.A.C. cosmetics campaign. I’m here for it. #LupitaforMAC (My Coloures)

kanye-west-jay-z-bet-awards-2012

Jay Z, the man Kanye West called his big brother, seems to be the perfect person to play best man at the Kimye wedding, but according to a source, Jigga will not be standing at the altar alongside his rapper BFF. Apparently, Yeezy approached Jay with the idea, and Jay agreed to be best man–as long as Kanye could guarantee he, his wife, and his daughter would not be filmed during the nuptials. Since any major event in the lives of the Kardashian-Jenner clan is bound to be recorded or televised, West couldn’t promise that the Knowles-Carters wouldn’t appear on camera, so Jay respectfully declined. (Perez Hilton)

~ Jihan

12 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Swizz Beatz’s Monster Headphones Teams Up With Chanel, Vogue Italia Publishes Another Controversial ‘Blackface’ Editorial, and Why Jay Z Won’t be Best Man at Kanye’s Weding”

1. IM SO HAPPY HAPPY THAT MY FATHER DECLINED!! LOL. But real talk, Jay-z and Kanye are not best friends, i think their collaboarte well when it comes to music THAT IT! I read Jay z book Decoded and he didnt even mention Kanye West till the end. His ppl he grew up with was with Mephis Bleek. I dont think Kanye will be that DUMB to put his wedding out there in the open. If Kim love him, she would respect that!! but im happy Beyonce and Jay wont be going to that fake wedding. I used to love the kardashian, but now they are money hungry.

And therein lies the Major Difference between Kanye/Kim and Jay/Bey…Jay/Bey have Class enough not to commercialize a sacred commitment like marriage. I’m here for that.

Also, YES to Lupita campaign for MAC cosmetics. That would be great!

Yet the Carters opened the Grammys half naked drenched in rain and had their daughter singing about how mommy rides daddy during rehearsal. Yeah real classy

4. Jessy says:

Yes! I would love to see Lupita and MAC team up!

5. Medschool says:

Anonymous I don’t know you but I had the best laugh due to your comment.

6. yonaton says:

@anonymous haha!!! true!! i like the kardashians. and i wish kanye and kim the best. the fact jay z declined his bus. the show will go on/.. but. dont ppl record nuptials all the time. the above ppl are trippen!!! it’s called. remembering moments!

7. LadyLea says:

@Anonymous, I love The Carters but I must say i love your comment even more. i wonder what in the world is a fake marriage, Blue Ivy Carter.

8. Lamz says:

Since none of the other commenters touched on the topic of black face, I will say this…

I understand that the painting of a white person’s face to a darker pigment may be offensive to some cultures. However, one has to bear in mind that to a large extent this act is almost exclusively offensive to African Americans due to their history with caucasian Americans.

As an African, as much as I empathise, I (unfortunately) do not find this offensive and I’m afraid it might be the same way for people from other parts of the world e.g Vogue Italia.

To the rest of us, it’s just a lady painted in brown or red paint. The same way we could paint a person in white (ala Beyoncé’s Mine video).

I know it’s hurtful that the world does not see this the way people who have been affected by ‘Blackface’ do but that is how life works.

We won’t all be sensitive to the same thing. It’s the intention that matters and sometimes, paint is paint and art (however insensitive) is art.

P.S: I’m sorry if I have offended you.

9. Sandra says:

Yes to Lupita and more to Lupita. Wanna know what is happening in her life. MAC are you listening? Give this woman a contract.

10. S says:

@Lamz, I’m a Black American and as such I Would take offense to any type of “blackface”, however, I do see your point. Also, I am not offended by your point. The problem that shall forever remain is that the whole history of enslavement in This Country has never been assuaged. We’ve only ever been told to forget about it, it’s in the past. Yet offenses continuously occur, over and over and over. So quite naturally our “vision” becomes clouded. It’s hard to Not see these things in terms of race/color. Personally, I feel this type of editorial will never stop, because the “bottom line” is never adversely affected by it. So why would they? People don’t stop buying shit and these days hardly ever stop buying anything on principle.

I, for one, look forward to the day when I don’t have to think about my skin tone More Often than I actually do.

11. S says:

Also, about the Jay-Z/Kanye best man deal. It’s not really about The Carters feelings toward the sanctity of marriage, as much as it is about them not wanting to be caught up in the inevitable media show that is The Kardashians. Kanye can’t guarantee anything because he’s already let himself be caught all up in that “dog and pony show.” After all, his proposal was filmed on their show was it not?

The Carters do not want to be associated on any type of business level (big or small) with The Kardashians. They don’t even want that to be implied. The Kardashian clan would Love to have that type of association (IMO) and you better know they wouldn’t hesitate to film The Carters. It’s about business….period.

12. liz says:

“I used to love the kardashian, but now they are money hungry.”

@blue ivy carter NOW they’re money hungry? LOL!!!