March 6th, 2014
Just Because
Fashion Bombshell Shopping Survey

Hi Guys!
In order to curate more focused content, I like to check in from time to time to get an idea of your spending habits and what you consider a splurge or a steal!
kara4
Today I thought I’d ask a few questions, just for fun, to see how much you shop it up. If you have a few extra minutes, please humor me;)

8998  missy from la

greg from baltimore

2  9 cynthia from new york.jpg

kelly from new york 8

tyme from denver colorado 1
Thanks for your answers;)
If you have anything to add, please leave it in the comments. Also let me know your favorite places to shop!
Smootches!
000 Tsholo from Botswana 1

Posted In
66 comments

66 Responses to “Fashion Bombshell Shopping Survey”

1. LOL says:

I probably spend less than 200 per month on clothes/shoes/etc. but since I am all about the deals, the clothes “cost” more. And, speaking of deals, Claire can you get DemesticksNewYork to hook your readers up with a discount by way of an etsy promocode? I’ve been eyeing a couple of his pieces and would not have known about him if it were not for you and FBD. And if not, that’s okay.

2. Stephanie says:

I probably spend 400-500 dollars a month including makeup (makeup junkie here).I work near a TJ Maxx and Marshalls in an upscale neighborhood that tends to carry designer/high end items (gucci, prada, YSL, tory burch, jimmy choo and ocassionally i see Celine).. So this makes a dent in my pockets. I usually make one or two large purchases a year, designer shoe or handbag but I generally stalk discount sites to get the best deal before taking the plunge on those items.

3. Him says:

No matter the store/site, I ALWAYS go to/click on the sale section. *Nene BLOOP*

4. Aisha says:

This is such a great post! I am always looking for new places to get high quality clothing and accessories but not always having to pay full price. My favorite places to shop are:

Shopbop
    Rachel Roy
    Laquan Smith
    Net-A-Porter
    The Outnet
    Nordstrom
    Saks Fifth Avenue
    Bergdorf Goodman
    Neiman Marcus
    M.A.C. Cosmetics
    Sephora

But I still started from the bottom!!!

5. Jen says:

I like places like Marshals

6. Claire says:

@LOL I just spoke to the designer. He said starting tomorrow he can offer 10% off orders of $100 or more with a code. I’ll make a proper announcement tomorrow! C

7. jeda says:

Claire you are gold. I can’t believe you really got us that discount! You love us! And we love you back!

Also, I see that we have a lot of frugal people on here based on these results. Lots of smart shoppers! Kudos to the fashion bombers!

Blessings

8. Bree says:

Zara, Nordstrom, Marshall’s, TJ Maxx, consigment shops.
    I’m also digging a lot of boutique shops I’m seeing on instagram. No the ones that sell the flea market clothes, but the awesome jewelry. Glamorous Plain Jane, Leslie Arnelle, Adorned Jewels places like that.

9. Trasee says:

My favorite places to shop now that I’ve relocated to Austin, TX from the wonderful shopping city of Chicago…

H&M
    ASOS
    Nordstrom & TopShop in Nordstrom
    Macy’s Shoe Clearance Rack
    Target Capsule Collections
    Basics from Forever21
    NastyGal for clubwear

I need some more online options, so I’ll be stalking these comments. lol

I love a deal/sale! My fav shop’s are…

ASOS

DSW
    Shoe Dazzle
    Just Fab
    Aldo
    Thrift Stores
    Online vintage stores

Yes I am a young woman who is still in Grad school. I haven’t reached the place where I can comfortably buy Louboutins or Giuseppes. I am a coupon stacker I got a pair of BCBG pumps for like $30 buy stacking coupons. Aldo made a mistake on their email so I called them and of course they had to honor me :0).

12. Jacquelyn says:

I Love a deal! Fav places are:

Zara
    Nordy’s
    H&M
    Nasty Gal

13. JLynn719 says:

While I have a monthly budget I like to stay in ($250) I always shop sales and look for discount codes wherever possible.

I am working hard to focus on not buying so much fast fashion and really thinking about my purchases. So far in 2014 I have spent exactly $0 on clothes/shoes/accessories and I have another week left in my shopping ban. Trying to focus on my long term goals and kill that urge to shop every single week. Hopefully by the end of the year I will have enough money saved to make my dream purchase, a vintage Chanel Jumbo.

But back on topic, I tend to save for my big purchases (bags) and buy my shoes off season (Saks has great shoe sales). Some of my favorite stores are ASOS, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, H&M and Saks. I used to love Zara before everyone in DC started wearing it.

14. erica says:

Ted Baker.com
    outnet.com
    nordstrom
    shopbob
    zara
    Saks
    after 6

15. JLynn719 says:

After seeing that I spent 4x my budget in 2013 shopping mindlessly, I made a budget this year. I try to stick to $250/mo and I always shop sales and look for discount codes wherever possible.

16. erica says:

Hi Claire,

I want to see your list since
    you have such great taste:)

17. Jacque says:

My favorite place to shop? http://shoplioness.com/ !

18. Claire says:

@Erica Ok!
    My absolute favorite place to shop is Net-a-Porter! Just because of the range of items and the super quick delivery + stellar customer service. I also love sister site The Outnet. You can find great sales on either.
    The rest of the best, in no particular order:
    Shopbop
    Topshop
    Saks Off Fifth
    Bergforf Goodman
    Intermix
    Ebay (you’d be surprised what you can find)
    Zara
    xx

19. stephanie says:

Saks and JCPenny I love love, I love Ronson. for some reason I keep checking her collection

20. uptownchic says:

I’ve actually spent between $1000-2000 on classic pieces (though that range was not an option). However, I feel that anything over that amount is just ridiculous personally, because style evolves and my personal taste definitely changes. More often than not, when you spend too much money on something, soon after YOU’RE the only one that thinks the item is SO AMAZING (due to your investment), while others have moved on!!

21. KS says:

Zara
    Target
    H&M
    ASOS
    Macy’s
    JC Penny’s
    Fab’rik
    Marshall’s
    TJ Maxx (I’m a Maxxonista)
    Ross

I shop maybe at the most twice a month unless I need a specific outfit for an event. I personally don’t like spending more than $20 on a single item of clothing so I shop end of season sales at stores like Zara and go to clearance racks in other stores. Anything $50-$120 including shoes is a splurge to me. Although I know that is chump change to others. the only time I have spent $120+ on a single item is as a gift for my bf or mother.

22. Claire says:

@Jeda xoxo I’m thinking I should have something like Lucky Shops where you get discounts on certain retailers. Werking on a few business moves. It’s hard to balance with everything else, but give me a few months.xoxo

23. Mo says:

I am going to second what LOL said being that my items also “cost” much more than I tend to pay. Sales, coupons and discounts are my best friends! I am more into quality items and styles I like moreso than just being all about names and labels. I will shop high end and low end until I get the mix I want.

I am just leaving an explanation because I don’t want The Fashion Bomb to start catering to cheapness because I answered less than $100!! LOL Actually, I think the site does a very good job offering selections and inspirations for everyone’s budget.

24. Cheron says:

I love Ebay!!! I find something, then go look it up on ebay first to see whats the price range I can get it for, then proceed!

TJMaxx
    Nordstroms—- LOVE THEM!!
    Zara
    H&M
    And anywhere I see a good thing!

25. Joanna says:

missguided

26. Mon says:

A few people mentioned what I am about to say but I’ll say it again. My clothing costs more than what I spend so my answers to the survey aren’t that accurate.

I shop TJMAXX, ShopBop, Neiman Marcus (Last Call), Nordstrom and the list goes on.

I also shop flash sales. I just got a pair of Olcays for $199 from HauteLook and a ton of cute jewelry by Amrita Singh from GILT, but they tend to be overpriced. (I recently found a TJMaxx near my job that carries high end designer jewelry so I’m done with GILT).

27. Mel says:

Work for Nordstrom so of course I spend a ridiculous amount ofmoneg there. Love that employee discount though. It allows me to vet amazing designer prices at great prices. Especially during designer clearance. Honestly though if I love it I will spend the money on a pair if shoes or a handbag.

28. S says:

I used to get myself in trouble by impulse shopping many years ago. I’m definitely a girly-girl, but this girly-girl had to “chillax” on the credit cards. So, I too like to find great bargains. Where I like to shop and the prices I’m willing to spend is kinda all over the place. My motto: If I see, like it and can handle the price, it’s mine. SMILES………

Macy’s
    TJ Maxx
    DSW
    Nordstrom’s The Rack
    Banana Republic
    Dillards Outlet (hella crazy price cuts)
    Saks
    The Gap
    Zappos
    Consignment shops in my area
    Ebay (from time to time)

29. Joey says:

Hi Claire,
    I absolutely love your site and I’m an avid daily reader. However, I do think the content seems to lean towards high end, out of reach pieces that the majority of your readers cannot financially obtain, but rather look to as inspiration. Is this post an inclination that you will begin posting more content that is affordable attainable to the masses?

By the way, I love to shop these places:
    Zara
    H&M
    Topshop
    ASOS
    Forever 21
    Juicy Couture
    Dillards

I agree with the majority. I love a good sale on quality clothes. These comments have been really helpful in my finding new places to shop. Thanks FBD! I’m really into knitwear right now (since it’s so cold!). Can anyone recommend a place to get good quality sweaters (i.e. they keep well, and are both stylish and comfortable) at discounted prices?

31. joey says:

Does this mean there will be more post that are financially obtain able to the majority of your readers? Xoxo

32. Joey says:

Attainable*

33. Claire says:

@Joey because we write a lot about celebs and they tend to splurge, it will have zero effect upon those, unfortunately…but it is good insight for when we’re doing Style Inspirations and Bomb Products of the day. x

34. Holding dollars dnt drop dimes says:

Bargain shopper because I am a PROUD HOME OWNER.
    Fav places to shop:

JCP- SERIOUSLY
    Sears
    Ebay- the Chinese merchants have all the “trends” much cheaper than Zara H&M & Forever 21, J Crew and Banana Republic

I shop the clearance sales online for : Ann Taylor for my work wear.

35. Mrs.L says:

I spent a couple of years on WallStreet so my shoe, bags, suits, and coats are all investments pieces. I will however get basics from Zara, and Tagert designer collection.
    Loehmanns, and Daffys were my go to places for designer on a budget before they both closed. Century 21… Wallstreet location, and Barney’s Warehouse sales are great as well. If I like a designer my rule of thumb is to shop their second collection: ie There’s Michael Kors, then there’s Michael Michael Kors.. Which is cheaper by a few hundreds. I scope out net-a-porter so I can price and budget investment pieces I want. I do not invest in party/ wedding/ social event dresses… I use rent the runway… FB has officially killed a repeat dress.
    Hope this helps Claire. Keep up the good work.

36. Dawn says:

I love designer labels like everyone else, but I am also a “Frugal Fashionista”. I live by the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall so I shop at the Nieman’s (Last Call), Sak’s (Off Fifth) and The Lord & Taylor Outlet which has the best deals. Just this past weekend I picked up a Catherine Malandrino dress that ws $295 for $12.99 and a Z Spoke by Zac Posen dress that was $180.00 marked down to $6.99 and 2 DKNY silk ruffled skirts $335 and $225 marked down to $15.99 & $9.99 at the Lord and Taylor Outlet. I also shop samples. The best site to sign up to for all the samples sales is http://www.ny.racked.com. I went to the Monica Chiang sample sale yesterday and everything was 80% off. I picked up a pair of funky orange platform sandals that retailed for $450 and paid $65.00 and a envelope snakeskin embossed clutch in hot pink that was $385.00 for $50.00. I am a high/low shopper who likes to pay low prices for everything! LOL

37. Mrs.L says:

Loehmanns, and Daffys were my go to places for designer on a budget before they both closed. Century 21… Wallstreet location, and Barney’s Warehouse sales are great as well. If I like a designer my rule of thumb is to shop their second collection: ie There’s Micheal Kors, then there’s Micheal Micheal Kors.. Which is cheaper and you can find at Saks. I use net-a-porter to price investment pieces and budget. I no longer purchase social events dresses: wedding/ sweet16/ anything with a snail mail invite I use rent the runway as Facebook has killed a repeat outfit.

38. Gift says:

Vintage/thrift stores
    Flea Markets
    Zaraa
    TJ Maxx
    Nordstrom Rack
    Outlet malls

My shopping money is spent more on shoes than clothes.

Claire, can you PLEASE do a post on shoes. I have big feet (::closes eyes:: size 12) and would like to know where to go to buy nice (not ugly and chunky shoes) heels. I already spend a lot on my shoes because of my size and wouldn’t mind spending more.

39. Jaded says:

I don’t shop often, however, when I do I manage to spend a considerable amount of money. The clothes and accessories I purchase are always high quality regardless of the price. I tend to shop at the following places:

Barneys New York
    Neiman Marcus
    Bergdorf Goodman
    Nordstrom
    Anthropologie
    Bloomingdale’s
    Boutiques
    JC Pennys
    mom and pop shops

40. Chas says:

These have been some helpful comments and I like this discussion because 1. I realize I’m not the only one that loves to shop and do so regularly 2. finding out shopping on a budget is a realistic goal to have… LOL….

Anyhow, I don’t discriminate when it comes to my shopping. I shop anywhere where I can find reasonably priced clothes and a few splurges now and then at Shopbop or Net-a-Porter. Yes, these are splurges for me.

I just want to add that Ebates is the bomb and Retailmenot. There are an online shoppers dream!!! I always check these sites for coupon codes, promotion, sales and etc…

A few stores that I didn’t see mentioned are:
    J Crew Factory
    Mango
    Dorthy Perkins
    Choies
    Madewell
    DSW
    The Limited (work)
    French Connection (sales only)
    MyHabit
    HauteLook

I visit these sites regularly…

41. @alexislovesme says:

Def shows that the items you put on the site are over priced for the majority of your viewers. I do however care to dream alongside them and enjoy the site so continue you your splurges +$1000 and steals -$100! ;)

42. Jess says:

Core Wardrobe Stores:

Jcrew
    Banana Republic
    Ann Taylor
    Nordstroms
    EBay

I add trendier pieces from the following stores:

Zara
    Asos
    Forever 21
    ShopBop

Quality is a big deal to me, and I’m willing to pay for pieces that will last me years to come, and flatter my shape.

43. cyndi says:

I spend anywhere between $200-$300 a month. That includes clothing, makeup, and hygiene/beauty products. I shop at Century 21, t.j. maxx, marshalls, thrift stores and I shop the sale sections on Shopbop. I refuse to pay full price!

I shop daily. The places I frequent most often are Zara, H &M, Solestruck, Karmaloop, Thrifttown, Goodwill, Shopbop, Gojane, ShopAkira, Urban Outfitters, Dnafootwear, Hautelook, Nordstrom flagship as well as The Rack and Macy’s every month or so. I’m a huge fan of vintage and thrift shops, so I get a good amount of clothes from those places. However, I would say that I spend the largest amounts on my shoes. I shoe shop every week and mostly online. I’m not going to disclose the amount but I will say that my shoe purchases amounts can cover bills.

45. cyndi says:

Claire,

Can you do a piece on clothing for petite women or body types in general. I am 4’10 and 120 lbs. My sleeves are always too long, and I constantly have to cuff my jeans. I want to wear my clothes and not have my clothes wear me.

46. Jess says:

I just wanted to reiterate what a tremendous resource Ebay can be, since I see so few few of you use it. I own about 20 pairs of JBrand jeans, which start upwards of $130 per pair, yet I’ve only paid full price 2 or 3 must have pairs. The rest were all purchased on Ebay, NWT (new with tags) for less than $100. I own several Kate Spade dresses, which retail for $400+, but got them all on Ebay brand new for about half that. Same with my DVF wrap dresses, and Tibi skirts. Invaluable Resource ladies.

*Oh and to Cyndi, you need to find a good tailor or learn to sew because you definitely need alterations. Nothing will fit you well off the rack. It’s not you, it’s the clothes.

47. LJF67 says:

While I am blessed to make a very good salary, I am frugal and HATE to pay full price for anything (although I will pay when I have to/need to). I personally get a kick out of a bargin; but quality is important as well. So while my beloved Loehmann’s has closed, I tend to shop online alot at the flash sale sites. I am really not a fan of the Mall, but love Marshall’s/TJ MAXX/etc.. escpecially for my workout clothes. Century 21 of course and I love Woodbury Commons and all other outlet malls. I suspect I am bit older than your average reader but still love fashion. Keep up the great work!

48. Brandi says:

Because of my school schedule I simply don’t have time to shop as much as I used to. However I still seem to spend a minimum of $400/on average. I like quality & would prefer to spend a little more to get what I want in a classic cut & good fabric that will last so there are months where I’ll spend more, followed by months of spending less. I will splurge a couple of times a year on a designer bag or shoe & that can around $2k. I’m also a makeup & beauty junkie (thank god I’m a cosmetologist & get product wholesale!) I like shop the following stores regularly:
    Nordstrom
    Zara
    White House/Black Market
    Michael Kors
    BeBe
    Louis Vuitton

49. Danielle says:

I really enjoyed this post, I gained a lot of new information. Definitely will be checking out retailmenot because I’m very cheap lol No seriously I am and I’m in undergrad. Not sure if anyone has ever heard of Rue 21, but I shop there. I recently bought a super cute black leather peplum top from there for $10 you can’t beat that! To me that was a major steal! I’m a Targe’(Target) girl, I wanted to sound French lol I love me some JcPenny’s, Macy’s, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Wet Seal, Charlotte Russe, and thrift stores. Love Goodwill, and Value Village!!!

50. Tiffany says:

So funny to actually sit and think about this. Spending 200 here, 50 there really adds up! I’m probably at about 5k per month. In my defense I’m a fashion blogger. However, I have enough clothes to style without having to purchase anything new for at least 3 months. I truly know I’m addicted. It could be worse things to be addicted to though. I love Polyvore, The Outnet, Zara, ASOS, Neiman Marcus, Netaporter ect. I love waiting for the postal deliveries lol!