March 4th, 2014
Fashion News, Kelis, Snapshot
Snapshot: Kelis for the Guardian’s The Guide

kelis-covers-the-guardian-guide-2014-
On recording music: “I might make another album. I might make 10 more albums. I might never make another album again. It depends on how the mood suits me. I’m not declaring retirement but I’m just saying that I don’t have any musical ambitions any more.”

On Nas and discussing their divorce: “I’ve been divorced for almost five years; it’s over, I’m over it. But what I would say is that last year I was made more aware of it because my ex-husband decided to talk about stuff that I hadn’t shared with the world. He slipped my wedding dress on to his album cover [2012's Life Is Good], so now I have to talk about it! I had no idea it was happening, I was like, ‘What the…?’ But it didn’t affect my life. I’m not living that life now. I’m super-content and at peace.”

On R&B: “I was never an R&B artist. People coined me one but that’s because, especially if you’re in the States, if you’re black and you sing, then you’re R&B.”
See her video for her single, Jerk Ribs, below:

Image: The Guardian via The YBF

Posted In
7 comments

7 Responses to “Snapshot: Kelis for the Guardian’s The Guide”

1. above-par says:

Love Kelis, always have.
    But for her to say she has no musical ambition, and just debuted new music at the BBC music festival this month makes no sense…

2. Kitty. B says:

Her attitude is definitely different now….whether thats good or bad, I’m still debating…

Kelis lives her life on her own terms and it shows in her creativity, her style and her words.

She’s not a traditional beauty, but who cares about traditional beauty anyway?
    Think outside box, trailblaze, let your inner freak shine, b original.

Love this girl and her style. :)

4. Rebel says:

@above-par Cooking got her back into the passion of music. That’s why she named the album “Food”. She was over making music & making albums.

5. Honest Choas says:

I love Kelis! She is a trendsetter and will always be! (I didn’t know she was cooking though!)

6. thephillydiva says:

My girl Kelis!!! I LOVE her. She does her own thing and does not care about what is acceptable. And she told the TRUTH about R&B artists in America.

(pumping up I’m Bossy at my desk)

7. Taryn Nicole says:

Can we get the deets on all of these outfits she’s sporting in this video? Particularly, the strapless 50s-esque dress and the top with those fringe-like sleeves. I need!!!!