March 2nd, 2014
Awards, Featured, Kerry Washington, On the Scene
On the Scene: The 86th Annual Academy Awards
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

The 86th Annual Academy Awards went down tonight in Hollywood, with some of our favorite stylish stars going glam on the red carpet.

Let’s get into the night’s looks!

viola davis escada Viola+Davis+Arrivals+86th+Annual+Academy+Awards+nK_VDJQLcL9x
Viola Davis channeled retro Hollywood glamour in a green strapless Escada gown and fingerwaves. Hot!

rocsi-diaz-86th-annual-academy-awards

Carmen Lilly worked her magic on Rocsi Diaz, who shimmered and sparkled in a silver embellished Dennis Basso gown with Jimmy Choo sandals.
_chanel-couture-jessica-biel-is-a-metallic-stunner-on-oscars-2014-red-carpet-01
I normally don’t swoon for Jessica Biel’s style, but she looked quite pretty in a strapless Chanel Couture dress and Tiffany & Co jewels. The only thing missing was her hot armpiece husband, Mr. Timberlake.
_jason-wu-kerry-washington-cradles-baby-bump-on-oscars-2014-red-carpet-04
Kerry Washington looked glamorous in berry tones in a strapless Jason Wu dress. A quick steam would’ve made this look perfection.
theia dress Gabourey+Sidibe+Arrivals+86th+Annual+Academy+hbxYEIacRnix
Gabourey Sidibe chose a Theia dress for the night.
tyson-beckford-86th-annual-academy-awards

Tyson Beckford was handsome as ever in a black tux, but his pants needed a bit more hemming.
_oscards-academy-awards-tyler-perry-presents-at-oscars-2014-02
Tyler Perry also kept it simple in a standard two piece.
_givenchy-michael-b-jordan-oscars-2014-red-carpet-02
Yes, Michael B. Jordan! Loving the edgy touches on his head-to-toe Givenchy look.
michael-strahan-86th-annual-academy-awards

I’ve always thought that Michael Strahan was a total hunk, but his three-piece suit seemed a bit bulky to me here. It would’ve made a much greater impact had the vest been left at home, as I did love the color.

robin-roberts-86th-annual-academy-awards

Robin Roberts shimmered and sparkled in an off-the-shoulder embellished Dennis Basso number. Lovely!

_monique-lhuillier-chrissy-teigen-john-legend-oscars-2014-red-carpet-01
John Legend and Chrissy Teigen are always one of the best dressed couples on the carpet. Chrissy’s asymmetrical Monique Lhuillier gown was gorgeous–this is how floral is done.

lanvin Pharrell+Williams+Arrivals+86th+Annual+Academy+Lqb2xEbR9tKx
Pharrell offered his twist on the traditional in a cropped Lanvin suit, while his lady Helen Lasichanh also took her own menswear route in a pussybow tie and slacks. They look happy!
Matthew+McConaughey+86th+Annual+Academy+Awards+q6RfzzeE5Dzx
Dolce & Gabbana was the call yet again for Matthew McConaughey, while his wife Camila Alves stunned in Gabriela Cadena.
will smith jada pinkett smith the oscars academy awards
Will and Jada Pinkett Smith were also in the house, with Will in a Berluti suit and Jada in a gorgeous pale coral Versace dress. Yes, Jada!
lady gaga 86th annual academy awards versace 2014 oscars
Versace was also the choice for Lady Gaga, who looked pretty in a strapless embellished creation. I’m glad she put the costumes away, and went for unadulterated glamour. It looks good on her!
Kate+Hudson+86th+Annual+Academy+Awards+Arrivals+8PrQoNRK02Qx
And our last Versace hottie was Kate Hudson, who sent all of you into a tizzy in her low cut Atelier dress. She’s glowing!
_dior-jennifer-lawrence-falls-on-oscars-red-carpet-2014-video-04
Jennifer Lawrence took a tumble over her Brian Atwood sandals, but got it together to pose in her red hot Dior frock.
Charlize+Theron+Arrivals+86th+Annual+Academy+XC_ROLMQuB-x
Dior also supplied sassiness to Charlize Theron, who smoldered in a peeked black strapless.
alexander mcqueen Sandra+Bullock+86th+Annual+Academy+Awards+XTGL84H-Q1Kx
Sandra Bullock glammed it up in navy Alexander McQueen.
kristen-chenoweth-86th-annual-academy-awards

Roberto Cavalli really outdid himself with Kristen Chenoweth’s gilded design. Absolutely breathtaking.

kristen-bell-86th-annual-academy-awards

All the Kristens were in Cavalli, as Kristen Bell also opted for the Italian designer for the night.

portia-de-rossi-86th-annual-academy-awards

Portia de Rossi served in an intricately-detailed Naeem Khan gown. So elegant!
_armani-prive-cate-blanchett-is-a-red-carpet-winner-at-oscars-2014-03
Cate Blanchett is pretty dern fabulous, no? She killed it in her Armani Privé sleeveless number, uplifted by Swarovski crystals.

rachel-smith-86th-annual-academy-awards-sherri-hill-gown

On The Red Carpet host and Good Morning America correspondent Rachel Smith went for drama in a strapless Sherri Hill gown. Beautiful no?

giuliana-rancic-86th-annual-academy-awards

E! news host Giuliana Rancic looked pretty in a white, lace bodice Paolo Sebastian princess gown.

kelly-osbourne-86th-annual-academy-awards

Kelly Osbourne shielded her Badgley Mischka gown from the rain with an umbrella. This was definitely one of my favorite looks of the evening: that hair took the ensemble to the next level!

louise-roe-86th-annual-academy-awards

Though pretty, I expected a bit more from Louise Roe. Her green lace sleeve Pronovias gown left me wanting more glamour.

johnny-weir-tara-lipinski-86th-annual-academy-awards

Our favorite Sochi commentating duo, skaters Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski, looked like a sartorial match made in heaven in all-white.

ryan-seacrest-86th-annual-academy-awards

I thoroughly enjoyed Ryan Seacrest’s white suit jacket, black bow tie, and black expertly-tailored trousers: an interesting spin on the classic tux.

86th Annual Academy Awards - Arrivals
And lastly, she came, she saw, she slayed. We were anxiously awaiting Lupita Nyong’o’s red carpet choice, and she didn’t disappoint in a custom powdery blue Prada gown and Fred Leighton jewels. Hot! Hot! Her headband was a nice touch.
Whose look was your favorite of the night?

Images: Getty

27 Responses to “On the Scene: The 86th Annual Academy Awards”

1. Marie Lovue says:

Yes Lupita!! I also really love Jennifer Lawrence’s look

2. Imani says:

Where is the pic of Kate Hudson?? She was my favorite hands down, She’s looks amazing!!!

3. Jamie says:

I’m with Imani – where’s Kate Hudson?! She was definitely my best dressed. Perfection!

Yawn.
    Kate Hudson did look amazing tonight. We knew Lupita was going to kill it, loving Kelly Osborn’s dress. Everything else was underwhelming.

5. Mi Manning says:

Yes to Kelly Osborne and Lady Gaga. I also have to say, even though we have been Lupita Nyong’o’d to death,and I’ve been criticized for saying she is on this blog constantly to the point it’s annoying, I must admit, she looks absolutely stunning! That color on her skin…she looks like a million bucks before taxes. Yet, I hope we can have a break from seeing her after Oscar season.

6. ebby says:

whqt about matthew mconohay’s (i totally spelled that incorrectly) wife. She looked amazing. Kate Blanchett was my have followed by Lupita as a close second.

Lupita, Kate Hudson, and Kelly Osbourne and not necessarily in that order. Everyone else is as expected. In fact why didn’t you guys post Kate Hudson she slayed for days!

8. Tia B. says:

Lupita Nyong’o in Nairobi Blue. Flawless.

9. above-par says:

Scrolling through I had to give Kelly O. a ‘YASSS’ cause she killed that look!
    But everyone looks extremely good, like my only ‘hmmm…’ would be Jada because I felt she was a bit to short for her gown.

10. Shayla says:

For me: 1) Camilla Alves 2) Lupita 3) Charlize Theron 4) Sandra Bullock. I’m so happy to see so many classy dresses, everyone looked smashing! BIG congrats to Miss Lupita!

11. Claire says:

We update with pix throughout the day/night…

12. Valentine says:

Lupita was the absolute bomb!!!!

13. Tybekka says:

Camila Alves and Lupita Nyong best dress!!!

14. Kim D. says:

I thought that Portia De Rossi slayed….she was gorg.. and I think the best look of the night. Lupita looked stunning as did Charlize. Everyone looked great.

15. My fav is Kelly Osbourne. Angelina Jolie should be on this list. Check my blog for my best dressed list.

16. tlove says:

I am so disappointed with Kerry Washington’s style choices this award season. She looks like she has on a satin bedsheet. There were other pregnant ladies in attendance last night and they managed to find beautiful dresses. I don’t know who is styling her (if anyone) but she can do sooooo much better.

17. Micah says:

Camila Alves and Jada Pinkett looked absolutely AMAZING. Best dressed of the night.

18. itsjustme says:

lupita, kelly o., cate blanchett, and kate hudson were the best dressed in my book.

19. Taj says:

Lupita, Camila, Kate Hudson, and Cate Blanchett were my favorites.

20. Najah says:

My favorites were Camilla Alves and Lupita who both looked stunning

21. CICI says:

Sandra Bullock looked stunning, but my all time favorite was Kelly O as that was an amazing look for her! Lupita was a breath of fresh air for many reasons!!!

On another note….PLEASE DO NOT take a break from posting about Lupita Nyong’o, she is inspiring for many dark skinned girls who think that they are not worthy and that they are not good enough because of their skin color.

22. lisa says:

In order: Cate Blanchet, Kate Hudson, and Camilla Alves. Honorable mention: Kelly Osbourne.

23. Noirre says:

Lupita, Gaga, Ryan & Rachel.

@ mi manning… pumpkin, I suggest not coming back to visit this site because we are going to feed your a**some LUPITA.

@ mi manning, pumpkin, I suggest giving FBD a break because we will be feeding your a** some LUPITA. Have a good day dear.

26. Crystal says:

Kerry fails every time. Kate Hudson was my favorite with Sandra Bullock in a close second. I can’t believe she got that half a$$ caption. :slow blink:

27. Shelly says:

I think that for the most part, everyone was dressed well. My least liked look was, unfortunately, Christine Tiegen. I did not like the dress, AT ALL. I didn’t like the shape nor the pattern. It looked like something a little girl would where to formal/evening occasion.

My faves were Camila, Kate Hudson, Lupita, and Rossi. And I too was wondering where Brad and Angelina were on this post. Hmmmmm…..

And please do not stop posting Lupita. She is a total breath of fresh air, inside and out. And she is the PERFECT example of true/natural beauty, regardless of skin shade/color (even though her skin is always glowing,(lol). To me, it’s all about features, because even the lightest/”tannest” person can have dull features, and not turn heads. But Lupita’s features are absolutely gorgeous. They are just the right mix of bold and delicate, and totally compliment each other. And honestly, I am quite jealous, lol.