February 23rd, 2014
Celebrity Style, Featured, Kerry Washington, Maternity Wear, Nia Long, On the Scene
On the Scene: The 45th NAACP Image Awards
By Faith

The 45th NAACP Image Awards took place tonight in Pasadena, California presented by TV One. The gents opted for classic looks in expertly tailored suits, while the ladies showcased a number of trends from a high-fashion spin on leather to bold and bright.

Here were the night’s ensembles:

kerry-washington-45th-naacp-image-awards

Mommy-to-be and Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series winner Kerry Washington was glowing in a custom navy and pink Thakoon gown. Undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful pregnant women of all time!

lupita-nyongo-45th-naacp-image-awards

I never know what Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture winner Lupita Nyong’o will sport on the red carpet and I absolutely love that! She went bold in a Givenchy leather pleated dress, offset with an unexpected hairstyle. I suppose it’s fitting to cue The Lady of Rage’s “Afro Puffs” no? Work Lupita!

naomie-harris-45th-naacp-image-awards

Naomie Harris shimmered and sparkled in Valentino.

nia-long-45th-naacp-image-awards

Nia Long certainly made the girls green with envy in her cowl neck tie Nicole Miller gown in the shade. That skin!

nicole-beharie-45th-naacp-image-awards

Sleepy Hollow actress Nicole Beharie went high-fashion in a $3,782 Saint Laurent Sequin Sleeve Gown.

tika-sumper-45th-naacp-image-awards

Tika Sumpter resembled a modern-day pinup girl with retro-inspired waves, a Johanna Johnson gown, and red lips. Hot!

regina-hall-45th-naacp-image-awards

Regina Hall kept it simple and chic in a metallic pleated gown.

idris-elba-45th-naacp-image-awards

Idris Elba was as fine as humanly possible in a black tux. And bowtie!

tyrese-45th-naacp-image-awards

Tyrese came suited in navy, black, and white with his pearly whites. Isn’t he dreamy?

regina-king-45th-naacp-image-awards

Regina King worked a cutout gown, though the sultry detail wasn’t in the most flattering of places.

kevin-hart-eniko-parrish-45th-naacp-image-awards

Kevin Hart and his gorgeous girlfriend Eniko Parrish stuck to neutral tones for the night. Didn’t you just love Eniko’s 5th & Mercer jumpsuit?

Forest-autumn-keisha-whitaker-45th-naacp-image-awards

The Whitaker family looked quite beautiful no?

terry-rebecca-crews-45th-naacp-image-awards

I keep trying to tell ya’ll that Terry and Rebecca Crews are one of the best dressed couples in Hollywood! I loved his take on the classic tux and her gown was mesmerizing.

elise-neal-45th-naacp-image-awards

Elise Neal was the lady in red in an $895 Walter Mendez Red Passion Gown.

zinzi-evans-ryan-coogler-45th-naacp-image-awards

Fruitvale Station director Ryan Coogler looked suave in a navy suit. Zinzi Evans was equally beautiful in a black gown with a sheer neckline and sleeves.

sherri-shepherd-45th-naacp-image-awards

I had to do a double take on Sherri Shepherd. The View host looked fabulous with a blonde ‘do and gilded gown.

bellamy-young-katie-lowes-darby-stanchfield-45th-naacp-image-awards

The Scandal ladies were in attendance! I lived for Bellamy Young’s red strapless number and Katie Lowes’s Halston Heritage gown.

Who had your favorite look of the night?

*There was also the untelevised ceremony! Check out the stars in attendance earlier in the evening.

brandy-45th-naacp-image-awards

Queen Mother of Life-fixing Iyanla Vanzant

redaric-williams-45th-naacp-image-awards

Actor Redaric Williams

jb-smoove-45th-naacp-image-awards

Comedia Jerry J.B. Smoove

Images: Getty

23 Responses to “On the Scene: The 45th NAACP Image Awards”

1. Chic Noir says:

Regina King’s red carpet dress looks like it hurts! ouch! that lower metal piece is going to leave a dent for days! Nia’s skin is beyond and Elise Neal, that body! Wendy Raquel Robinson surprised me – the dress is slightly casual for the event but she looks great. my favorites are Tyrese and Naomie Harris who is simply beautiful from head to toe!

2. Lisa says:

Kerri looked absolutely beautiful I loved her hair the whole ensemble looks nice…. Everyone looks nice

3. fav1 says:

Everyone looked great except Tatiana Ali could have done without those sleeves! Lil Mama smh no!!!! and Wendy Raquel Robinson should really invest in a stylist!

4. M1914 says:

The brothers were repping hard: Idris, Tyrese, Ryan, JB, etc

5. katie says:

Everyone look great except for Lil Mama (outfit), Ledisi (makeup/facial expression?), Elise Neal (wig), and Kevin Hart ( no reason, I just dislike his anti-black woman behind and I refuse to support him).

@Katie how is Kevin anti-black women? His girlfriend is Jamaican. Did you forget black women come in different shades of color with different hair textures? I’m what they consider Coolie in Jamaica and that does not mean I’m not black!

7. Yakini says:

That color is DIVINE on Nia Long!

I hate Regina’s cut-out gown. Her body is bananas and she can usually pull off anything…. but those metallic fastenings look more like medical stitches or something.

Elise Neal needs a new weaveologist, or wigologist, or whatever it is she has on. She never seems to get it quite ‘right’ in the hair department.

Lil Mama looks downright scary.

8. Yonaton says:

Except for Regina, Everyone really came out and looked great!! Loved the looks!

9. Casandrae says:

Keri looks radiant! her makeup is so soft and beautiful, the dress complimented her well and that fish braid was perfect for the outfit.
    Tatyana needs a new stylist. Nia Long always looks sexyyy. Naomi Harris is always chic on the red carpet, no disappointment here, but i wish she’d take more risks w/her makeup.

10. d. broussard says:

I actually liked Regina’s look! Very unexpected and different! Fit her like a glove… But Lil Mama… Lmao I died when I saw her. I mean literally cracked up.

Dies Lil Mama aim to look a hot mess? I can’t imagine her looking good because she always look like kaka.

Anywho, JB looking real sharp, check him out?

Ugh, an Elise. Her hair been a hot mess since she first debuted. There’s too many ways to wear weaves now of days.

12. Crystal says:

The men out shined the women. Too many tragic wigs, cheap prom dresses and fashion forward fails.

13. katie says:

@Anonymous (1:22 pm)

Regarding Kevin Hart. A simple google search can help you with that.

Two, as someone whose people ALSO come from Jamaica, Jamaican doesn’t automatically mean black. It’s a NATIONALITY. NOT A RACE! You don’t know the difference? And coolies aren’t apart of the African race, the are apart of the Asian race. Being born an a predominantly black country doesn’t make you of African descent. Just like whites born in Africa aren’t Africans.

Of course you can identify with blacks, that doesn’t mean that as actual black person have to accept it. Nor will I. (This is actually a stance for many blacks so don’t take offense).

Katie lol the woman is black she might not be the complexion you want her to be but please stop the non-sense. Just because he is not with his wife does not mean he hates all black women.

15. CanV says:

@Anon#14and#6: Lazyness does not become you. A simple google search would have fixed you right up. She is not referring to his gf. I repeat she is NOT referring to his gf. But that is all I’ll say. The rest you can handle on your own. Or not, but it helps to you what you are talking about before you comment on another.

And yes I know exactly what you both are saying.

16. MynameisPeaches! says:

@Katie Kevin’s girlfriend is black. She may not have the black phenotype that you approve of but that’s your issue and not hers. Besides we black women can look a lot of different ways.

If you know anything about the black diaspora in North and South America and the Caribbean you would know that the majority of black people are mixed but that doesn’t mean they are not black. Sick of the identity police trying to revoke black folks card because they don’t look black enough what ever that means. Rant over.

17. North East says:

Enough about Eniko Parrish, in case you all lost sight of it, this is fashion bomb daily not race analysis daily SMDH! comment on what the people are donning not their nationality or race. All I know is that Eniko slayed honey and her face is beat. That is all!

Forest Whitaker’s wife could use a month or two at the buffet. There’s skinny and then there’s too skinny, if this is due to some condition she has then Lord please forgive me.

19. C. says:

@ Katie-did you SERIOUSLY just call someone A COOLIE?!?! What year is this again?!? You should be ashamed of yourself. Don’t try to educate or inform anyone when you are boldly using racist, BS words like that, you are clearly an ignorant individual.

20. C. says:

@ Katie-via dictionary.com:
    coo·lie
    [koo-lee] Show IPA

noun Disparaging and Offensive.
    an unskilled laborer, especially formerly in China and India.

an unskilled laborer employed cheaply, especially one brought from Asia.

a contemptuous term used to refer to an Asian, especially an Indian living in South Africa.

adjective
    Informal. characteristic of or suitable for a coolie: working for coolie wages.

Also, cooly.

——————————————————————————–

Origin:
    1545–55; < Urdu kūlī < Tamil kūli hire, hireling

Usage note
    Both meanings of “unskilled Asian laborer” are found almost exclusively in historical contexts, suggesting imperialistic exploitation of these workers. But coolie is still current as an insulting term used to refer to a person of Asian descent, especially in South Africa.

21. Jessy says:

A lot of ‘one-drop rule’ reasoning here, which had it’s origins in protecting racial purity. What’s wrong with embracing your mixed roots?

22. katie says:

@MynameisPeaches!

First of all, I didn’t say she wasn’t black. That’s you putting words in my mouth. All I said is Jamaica is a nationality not a race. I said nothing about her phenotype. I am more than aware of the african-diasporas too since my mother is african-american and I identify as african-american, so spare me. Being “black” is more than if you identify it, it’s how you’re seen and treated based off it.

If biracials and multiracials want to identify as black that’s fine, but I don’t have to agree. I stand by it.

@C.

I never used it as a racial slur and you can clearly see that I was replying to the anon in an academic sense. So save your dictionary definitions for someone else. I stand by my comment. If you don’t know the difference between a academic usage in a legitimate debate and racial slur for malicious intent, you might want to not enter in a conversation you clearly don’t understand. Again, I stand by my comment.

23. katie says:

@C.

Also, I’ll educate anyone I choose. Feel free to bypass my comments from now on if you like.