February 10th, 2014
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Oprah-Winfrey-Vogue-1998-2

Oprah-Winfrey-Vogue-1998-1

Oprah-Winfrey-Vogue-1998

Vintage-Snapshot-Oprah-Winfrey-Vogue-1998

Oprah-Winfrey-Vogue-1998-3

Oprah Winfrey By Steven Meisel For Vogue October 1998.

An excerpt from the interview: “As we make our way to the end of Bear Creek and find a spot on a rock to best enjoy the spray from a big, dramatic waterfall, I ask if she ever—when she was young—dreamed of being in Vogue. “Dreamed to be in Vogue? I’m a black woman from Mississippi. Why would I be thinking I was gonna be in Vogue? I would never have even thought of it as a possibility. That’s why it’s so extraordinary. You know what it’s like? I did Ernest Gaines’s book A Lesson Before Dying on my show for the book club, and we went to Louisiana. We sat in the dining room of the big house of the plantation where he, as a boy, would come and help his grandmother. And I said, ‘As a boy, when you saw this house, did you have visions of being in this room and sitting at the dinner table?’ ‘Not even a dream,’ he said. I mean, I’ve been fighting weight all my life, definitely never even thought of myself as an attractive girl. So why would I be dreaming about Vogue?” She starts to laugh. “Vogue is the big house! Didn’t think I’d be sittin’ at that table!”

Images: Vogue

18 Responses to “Black History Month Snapshot: Oprah Winfrey By Steven Meisel For Vogue October 1998”

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

2. Kay says:

“Dreamed to be in Vogue? I’m a black woman from Mississippi. Why would I be thinking I was gonna be in Vogue? I would never have even thought of it as a possibility.” Love that quote and her humility.

3. The truth says:

And now everyone bows down to Oprah. She is a true bombshell.

4. Natasha says:

Forever conturing to the hilt but this is the best I’ve ever seen O. Great shots which stand up almost 20 years later!

5. Mikata says:

Beautiful!

6. Michele says:

Quite impressive!

7. NellyV85 says:

This is everything that I needed it to be, and so much MORE!!

Wow! I forgot Oprah used to look like this. No shade.
    Stunning. Very Sexy.

9. yonaton says:

i love it!! beautiful shoot!

WOW! I have never seen Oprah look this good!Im mad the actresses on the side of her look exactly the same now and Orah looks like a totally different person.

11. jeda says:

She looks great! But rumor has it that Anna Wintour asked her to lose weight before this shoot. Whether that was right of Anna to do, I don’t know, but O does look good here.
    Blessings

12. Stephane says:

Wow, I had no idea Oprah used to look like that [as horrible as that may sound]. Amazing spread!

Woah, Oprah beautiful!!!!!

14. S says:

@Jeda, it wasn’t a rumor it was true Anna Wintour asked her to lose weight. Oprah spoke about it at the time. She did it and she looked great on that cover. It was something she wanted to do for herself on a personal level, if I remember what she said correctly.

15. k says:

Absolutely breathtaking!! @anon 4:05 to be fair, O probably has worked many more hours than the other two ladies and I don’t mean any shade at all to the other two but O was building an empire in these last 15 years.

16. kim wilson says:

keep in mind Oprah was 45 at the time they were in their 20′s. Oprah is now 60 so of course she wont look like she did at 45. What woman does?

17. Westafricanmutt says:

She looks beautiful

18. M* says:

Thanks for bringing this to light!( 1st time seeing this ) Oprah looks amazingly beautiful! My favorite is the 3rd one. Oprah looks like she could be related to lauryn hill. Great shots by Meisel. Woah $3 vogue.