February 6th, 2014
Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Winter 2014 Style Inspiration: What To Wear To An Interview
By Danielle Nicole

It’s back to business for today’s Style Inspiration. Dia_Zon writes, “I have been going to a few interviews and I’ve been wearing the basic black suit and white shirt and I HATE IT!! I saw this photo of Jhene Aiko on Instagram wearing all navy and didn’t know if wearing a solid navy suit with a navy shirt would be appropriate for an interview? Or if you could give some ideas…? But I have to wear a suit but if I have to go all out with formal attire, I want to look good.”

What to Wear to an Interview Jhene Aiko

Whether you’re rocking a head to toe monochrome ensemble or mix up a neutral palette, the goal is to always keep you look professional and chic. Adding in subtle prints and posh accessories will revamp your interview wardrobe.

To compliment navy accents, forego a black suit and slip into a tailored jacket and matching pencil skirt in a grey hue.

What to Wear to an Interview Reiss Tailored Jacket Reiss A-Line Skirt KG by Kurt Geiger Bryrony Buckle Court Shoe Saint Laurent Classic Large Y Cabas Bag

Ditch the traditional white button down for a neck tie blouse or a striped blouse. Uplift this office-ready look with a pair of black buckle court shoes and a structured handbag to match.

Liven up your go-to black suit with a black and white striped shirt, Gianvito Rossi mesh paneled suede pumps, and an embellished satchel.

What to Wear to an Interview ANN DEMEULEMEESTER Striped Shirt Gianvito Rossi Mesh Paneled Suede Pumps Michael Kors Selma Grommet Leather Satchel

Add in a few accessories including a pair of vintage cluster pearl earrings and black and gold rimmed eyeglasses for a fashionable twist.

And if you want to perk up a navy jacket and trouser combo work in a few brighter pieces. A punchy pair of eyeglasses and a perky cap toe pump gives a little life to a navy on navy look.

What to Wear to an Interview Michael Kors Jetset Large Tote ReissFor the final touch, tie a printed scarf onto a large tote and add a little bling with pearl and crystal sunburst stud earrings.

And that will do it! Sending you good vibes and the best of luck on your career endeavors. Are these corporate approved suggestions to your liking?

14 Responses to “Winter 2014 Style Inspiration: What To Wear To An Interview”

It depends what positiona are you interviewing for. I would save all the fancy feet until you land the job. You don’t have to wear black & white all the time. But I would never wear anything but a black leather pump to an interview. GOOD LUCK with the job hunt.

2. mc0728 says:

You had me until the MK Bags. For the life of me they are wack and every chick who doesnt have money now things that mk is the real deal. News flash its not the business if u can buy it at tjmaxx and marshalls.

3. Southern says:

Unless this is a fashion interview I would never go higher than a 3 inch neutral colored pump.

nice!

5. RHONYC says:

@ Mc0728

*giggling* at your echoing of my year-long sentiments. lol :-D

6. stephanie says:

I bought my Chanel Bag and Prada at TJ MAXX Runway in Atlanta.. what are you trying to say @ mc0728.. really how dare you.. thats really rude.. if someone wants to buy MK.. and thats all the money they have… c’mon ladies..

7. Sheila says:

@Claire, can you please school @mc0728. Such an ignorant statement.

Since when has Michael Kors been whack and just because people carry his bags doesn’t mean they don’t have money. Celebrities with money and models carry his bags especially his Hamilton tote.

Michael Kors has both a high end and lower end line like many designers. His company just made a billion in revenue and he is considered an icon in the fashion industry.

I am all for freedom of speech but please, please, please do your homework before criticizing a designer and his/her worth.

8. binks says:

Number 1 and 2 are perfect for an interview.

9. About to be late for class says:

Y’all must be some extremely rich people.

10. IMO says:

@ mc0728, so, because you can buy it at TJMaxx, it’s not the real deal? Girl, bye.

You have every right to your opinion, but you cannot necessarily judge other people’s mindsets or intent simply because a lot of women/fashionistas buy it.

[and ftr: I personally have no preference, good or bad, for the bag]

11. Natasha says:

All of these looks are nice yet it’s important to know the culture of the place you’re attempting to work for. If you have the time, do some recon just before their lunch hour, check images of the company online. Always dress one or two notches up when it comes to the interview.

Like Southern, I wouldn’t wear more than 3″ for an interview though and never flats. Kitten heels are ideal.

12. Lex says:

I’m glad yall got on Mc0728 before I did. I don’t know who these uppity ppl are who keep responding on here lol. Not everyone who visits this site is rich. And not all that glitters is gold. Just because it has a high price tag doesn’t make it worth it.

13. Monica says:

Agree with @Southern. 3″ is max for an interview heel, and I’d also recommend neutral. Love the third set, though.

14. shamie says:

Loves these for a interview but you have to please research the company because these might be a bit much for an interview. in the fashion, marketing, advertising field this might rock. Good luck