February 5th, 2014
Andre Leon Talley, Blacks in Fashion, Diversity, Featured

André Leon Talley opened up to Oprah about his time at Vogue in an interview set to air this Friday on OWN.
Andre Leon Talley SCAD Exhibit
In a teaser clip, the former Editor-at-Large says, “I loved my life at Vogue. I loved being at Vogue. Vogue is the ultimate place if you’re working in fashion in a fashion magazine.”
anna_wintour_andre_leon_talley
He continued, “… I always felt that even though Vogue has been fabulous to me, there was always this silent taking for granted. Very few people of diversity. Not just at Vogue. There have been very few people of color who’ve risen as far as I have in the industry. I felt I had gone to what is called the glass ceiling there. And nothing else was going to happen.”

Watch below:

I can’t say I’m surprised by Talley’s revelation, though it is a bit disheartening to hear that even someone of his stature could feel so stuck.
What do you think?
Do you have hope for the future of diversity in fashion?
Andre+Leon+Talley+Oscar+De+La+Renta+Resort+9nVLpBewp1jx
Be sure to tune in to OWN on Friday at 9/8c to watch the whole interview.
See more here.

11 Responses to “On OWN: André Leon Talley Discusses The Glass Ceiling at Vogue + Diversity in Fashion”

1. I mean, The Father has spoken. And if ANDRE states it, then its true. Can’t say that I’m surprised either. The fashion industry (and media in general) has made it VERY clear about “they” feel about people of color.

2. 2 cents says:

No one from Vogue is actually fly. Look at those plain Janes on the front row. They look average at best. I don’t get it and I’m over the smoke and mirrors

3. The situation (lack of diversity, glass ceiling, etc.) is shameful, but the only way we can change it is to address it. It is especially powerful/ credible when someone at the “top” such as Talley is the one talking.

4. Anon says:

Anna Wintour is clearly a racist

5. Did they end it at ‘She’s constantly concerned about my weight though?” I hollered. I cannot.

6. Jazmine Foxx says:

I’m glad Andre Leon Talley is speaking out about it. The glass ceiling & diversity issue within the fashion industry is a major problem. People always assume fashion is ‘glamorous’ until they intern/work and find out what goes on behind the scenes at some of these huge/famous fashion houses.

7. Monroe says:

I am looking forward to watching on Friday and I love that ALT is speaking out.

If I could ask you all commenting; I am doing market research for a publication geared towards women of color. It is time we had something we can look forward to and so myself and a team of others are conducting research to create the best possible publication for our readers. We are reaching high and looking to have both a digital and print publication.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated, and if you can spread the word please do.

Here is the link:

8. Monroe says:

I am looking forward to watching on Friday and I love that ALT is speaking out.

9. Shelby says:

That’s so interesting to me! I have always been so curious as to how things might be different in the fashion world for people of color, such as myself, and to hear Andre Leo Talley, someone who has done so well for himself in this community, say that still he feels like there are limits to his success, is very fascinating. I look forward to watching this on Friday!

10. Tmorgan says:

I would look in Vogue while in line at the grocery store but I would never buy it. If I can could the people of color on one hand then you arent trying to appeal to me. Love fashion but beauty to me is not pail and 80 pounds. Glad he spoke out but its been a long time coming. And its not just Vogue, its all the model and fashion shows on TV too…..

@Monroe. Filled in your questionnaire. Hope this idea takes off