January 29th, 2014
Celebrity Style, Fashion Discussion
It’s 2014: Are We Officially Over Wedge Sneakers?

Dishon wrote in, “I have been debating about investing in some wedge sneakers. I see new styles and variations this year, however I am not sure if I will feel like I am wearing Timberlands with a high heel…so tired. Please give me your styling forecast on this trend.”
wearing-isabel-marant-red-bekett-sneakers
This is a great question! I personally was never on the wedge sneaker bandwagon, though several celebs and regular girls have been rocking them with flair for several seasons.
cassie-instagram-nike-revolution-sky-hi-wedge-sneakers

carmen-electra-lax-airport-semi-sheer-leopard-sleeve-bomber-jacket-jimmy-choo-suede-panama-wedge-sneakers

Selita-Ebanks-BCBG-Blazer-Nike-Sky-High-Wedge-Sneakers
Lower priced versions (which Isabel Marant famously deemed ‘vulgar’) abound, allowing everyone to get their fill of the trend.
Jennifer-Lopez-wearing-Michael-Kors-Tartan-Plaid-Fur-Collar-Wool-Coat-and-Giuseppe-Zanotti-Wedge-Sneakers-2
evelyn-lozada-shaunie-o-neal-los-angeles-felicity-and-coco-striped-midi-dress-giuseppe-zanotti-hidden-wedge-sneakers
lala-anthony-boa-steakhouse-west-hollywood-alexander-mcqueen-skull-t-shirt-nike-wedge-sneakers
Sneakers are a comfortable wardrobe staple– and who doesn’t want a little more height? I’d say they’ll still be ‘in’ for at least a couple more years. But, Dishon, I’m not sure if I would invest (unless you really want to). There are loads of affordable options should you choose to try the trend on for size.
Bria Murphy Ash Wedge Sneakers

What do you think? Will you be rocking wedge sneakers well into 2014 and beyond?
Or are you over them?

Alicia Keys's Soho Shopping Giuseppe Zanotti Wedge Sneakers

_--Solange-vs.-Tina-Knowles-in-Michelle-Mason's-Leather-Sleeve-Colorblock-Coat
beyonce bungie jumping in isabel marant bekket wedge sneakers
*Save or splurge on a pair of wedge sneakers of your own below:

Posted In
46 comments

46 Responses to “It’s 2014: Are We Officially Over Wedge Sneakers?”

1. No No says:

I’ve been over them. you know a trend is officially over when you see them in the hood for $12. Flatbush and Church Avenue

2. No No says:

In pretty Girl store

3. T1K says:

I love mines for traveling!!! Soo comfy and I don’t look like I’m 12 lol

4. Only Marants and some Nikes are worthy. Everything else is indeed vulgar.

5. Dobe says:

I think the Nike ones will be around for a while, as they still look like regular sneakers and there are more patterns/colors to choose from with them. I never really liked the Marants or any variation of them; plain and boring.

6. SheFashion says:

I think the tennis shoe styles like Nike & Adidas are okay. It’s a nice way for girls who like to be comfy & cute, with a sporty flair, to not feel so “TomBoy-ish” by wearing a full blown sneaker. & it definitely alleviates having to “Camp for Jordan’s” with the boys. Lol

7. Petra says:

I love my Isabel Marant’s! I have two pairs_ Beige and Khaki… I sowant some black ones, but I am afraid they will be out of style soon :(

8. Lola Reggy says:

This fashiondork, aka me, is not over them yet. I am short and tiny and they elongate my legs. I have them in black and cream, so they can go with pretty much my wardrobe. Plus I just hate sneakers. Bought some leather Vans, and now I use them for gardening, refuse to wear them out on the street. Do not spend!! They are to many very nice affordable options!!! Or spend when you have too much money anyway :P

9. iheartkeya says:

To be honest, I’ve been over them. They were cute at first but when EVERYONE was wearing them and they were literally everywhere, it became too much

10. Allure says:

As long as you continue to see celebs like Beyonce wearing them, they will still be around.

11. southern says:

I guess wearing what you like because YOU like them is just asking for too much

12. Zhana says:

Im not over them, they are so comfortable. So what everybody is wearing it not everybody can rock it…

13. Sha says:

I love them all….. EXCEPT the hideous Isabel Marant sneaker! Those shits are disgusting!!

Those sneakers were never cool. A domino effect just occurred with that trend. Those sneakers/shoes are gross.

15. mary says:

This is why I never purchase anything impulsively!
    Also, if I buy something it’s not because of a trend, but because I like the aesthetic/look.
    With that being said, if you spent $700 + on sneakers you better wear them until the soles wear off. Forget if people are still rocking them or not. I refuse to base my closet on the opinions of if anyone thinks they’re over or in style….Who are “they”?

Gurrrrllllll PLLLLZZZZ honey!

I am not sure for me as I am 35…I think sneakers are too young on me. I prefer a simple black Nike Air or some cool leapord slip ons I’ve seen on Pinterest. Only for a coffee run or errands though…

17. I’d recommend Dishon look for a lower priced options like the Nike Sky High Dunks. Especially if she isn’t going to wear them all the time. I have ones from Nike and I LOVE them. They are very comfortable, still look like sneakers and are available in a variety of colors.

18. Mrs.L says:

Never took to this trend. I own heels, ballet flats, and a few pairs of nikes. I do not combine my shoe gear.

19. iloveshoes says:

I only own a Nike pair that I barely wear. And while I still find the IM’s hot I just wouldn’t dare shell out my money for them and the knock-offs are just plain hideous.

Only Nike and IM’s can stay in my opinion.

20. ilike2smize says:

They must all be burned at this point. People act like Isabel Marant invented them even though there was a big 90s trend of heeled sneakers. I never got into the Marant trend because, even though they are purportedly comfy, they look good on NO one.

21. Meika says:

I am 5’3″ and did not wear sneakers because it showed how short I really am. I leave my wedge sneakers because they are more comfy than heels and gives me that extra height that I love. I currently own 3 pairs of them and they are my go to shows when traveling or running around.

22. V says:

I totally agree with Meika i’m only 5’3″ I would be lost without my sneaker.
    I never use to where sneakers because they made me look really tiny.
    now I can go casual but have a bit of height as well.

23. Jackie says:

I wear them just for comfort and the fact that they elongate my legs. I don’t consider them as fashionable or stylish anymore and more like a basic shoe… like converse or a pair of flats. My two cents is do not shell out a couple hundred on Marants if you are not sure you will wear them two years from now. I got on the bandwagon early so I have been wearing mine for two years but do not think I will be toting these same shoes for another two.

24. Dom Dom says:

I hate wedged sneakers with a passion to be honest, they are SO ugly.

25. Anto says:

I really don’t like it but as the sporty trend is hitting big right now and Chanel presenting sneakers on its Couture show has to mean something!! So I think it will be a huge trend but I don’t think I’ll be wearing it any time soon.

26. liz says:

NEVER!!!!!

They’re a godsend for short people like me.

27. xi zane says:

i’m not even sure why this is a question….

I love me some sneaker wedges! would you rather i just wore sneakers? (JK)
    on the real though, even if they went “out of style” i’d still rock them.

28. Elle says:

I love them. I have a collection of regular Jordan’s, Nike and Reebok as well as wedge sneakers. They so comfortable I’m going to keep wearing them. I don’t care what’s in or out. If I rather look good than look “trendy.”

To the girls who think sneakers are gross you must not of played sport in school.

29. HappyGril50 says:

I’m wearing mine Boo Boo… They cost me a hunsky… Till the wheels fall off. lol

30. Monica says:

Hate this trend.

31. HaUteKakes says:

I like the sneaker wedges. Ms Isabel might be upset but I kicked it off at Target with a basic black pair…I’m sure they’re on sale for no more than $17(target.com) RIGHT NOW. Ahem…”Erybody ain’t able just when you do it, do it well!”

32. Nikki says:

Im so OVER these. omg. Although I was thinking of purchasing the gold puma wedges for my daughter, but its still acceptable to wear them if your under 19yo. In my opinion…

33. Tiffany says:

Well, I still like em, I still have em and I still wear them. Style is such an individual thing…find what works for you and embrace it. Also, don’t get the ones with like 5 colors, they look silly, my opinion

34. Rosalie says:

I already have them from 1 1/2 ago. I still wear them sporadically on the weekends but I definitely would not recommend anyone buy them now if they don’t have them already. It’s definitely on the way out fast.

35. Hmmmm says:

No! absolutely not! I’m not a sneaker fan but fell in love with this trend and feel like I could always use a pair of these especially to run around cute on the weekend.

36. I thought I was over them until I saw the Puma and/or Nike. I would buy a pair of those.

I currently own a purple pair that I brought just because purple is my favorite color – but my daughter(she is 21) told me a grown woman should not wear velcro staps…. *shrugs

37. I4Fashion says:

I have 2 pair of Nike’s freaking love them !!! How can you not like a pair of slick looking sneakers that give you some ummph!!! .. of course you dont like the cheap ones.. noone likes a cheap anything .. I love that I am able to shop and chase my 2 year old and look cute ! ..

38. Crystal says:

I don’t think they’re a ‘trend’, it just happened to peak in fashion like a smoking loafer. I remember wedge sneakers when I was a kid so they’ve always been around and I’ve always liked them. So while certain types of wedge sneakers may be ‘out’, wedge sneakers in general are just another type of shoe.

39. Nicole says:

I think the Nike ones will be around for a while. I never bought any and won’t plan to at this point. I will stick to my Nike Air Macx they have a little height to them.

40. Faith says:

I’ll always wear wedge sneakers, Nike still has some really fun pairs!

41. Personally I think there pretty stylish if you know how to pull them off. Especially the ones u found lately that are simple and don’t have to much of a statement being pulled off. Just a simple stylish look to your outfit. It all depends on what you wear it with and if your the type of person who can really pull that trend on. Haven’t seen that look being over done yet I’ve seen worse things such as Canada goose jackets now that’s an over done fad.

42. Stylish Cat says:

I always had a pair of hidden wedge sneakers, they just were not in fashion. And now they are! I have two pairs of Marants – black and taupe ones and they are more comfortable then heels for me for sure. If they go out of fashion, I don’t care, I love comfy shoes which give me some hight. Most girls look pretty ugly in normal sneakers as you need long and beautiful legs for those. I don’t have those legs, so I’ll stick to my Marants as long as I can.

I own 2 pairs of Marants. I spent a lot of money on them so I don’t give 2 shits if nobody wears them anymore ! Better for me anyways.. I’ll be the only ones rockin them !

I have NEVER seen someone actually wearing these.. I see them on every clothing website and I hate them so much I decided to google them and see if people actually buy these.