January 29th, 2014
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

anais-mali-j-crew-2
• For most J.Crew fans, their love for the brand is much deeper than their pockets. But this Spring, J.Crewsies all over America shall be granted sweet relief, as CEO Mickey Drexler says the retailer will lower their prices to accommodate customers who simply can’t justify paying an arm and a leg for a printed cotton pullover: “you’ll see our prices much more friendly this year,” he told WWD“We can’t compete with designers.” You’ll still find the brand’s pricey “Collection” range, but the mid-range products will cost less than before. “I grew up in the Bronx,” he said. “I resent the masses thing. I find the world isn’t that high-integrity. Maybe I grew up not being able to afford nice things, but it shouldn’t be that way. I wanted nice clothes that aren’t crazily priced.” I don’t know whether this is good or bad news for my wallet! (WWD)

•  I was too busy ogling Beyoncé‘s see-through Michael Costello dress at the Grammys to notice all the bling she was wearing that night. And it was a lot–and it was VERY expensive. According to the Huffington Post, Yoncé was outfitted in about $10 million dollars worth of Lorraine Schwartz jewels, including those light catching diamond-encrusted chandelier earrings and enormous cocktail rings on nearly every finger. Really, could you expect anything less from the Queen? (Huff Post)

mike-jeffries

• Mike Jeffries‘s clout at The Abercrombie company was rumored to be on the wane, and it looks like there is truth to all the whispers. The company announced that 69-year-old Jeffries, who served as chairman and CEO of the flailing label, has been stripped of his “chairman” title, passing the duties on to 74-year-old Arthur Martinez, who will serve as “non-executive” chairman. (WWD)

Melody Ehsani Reebok Love Pump

• Melody Ehsani is teaming up with Reebok Classics once again, lending her design talents for her take on the label’s Pump Omni Style. Dubbed the “Love Me or Leave Me” shoe, Ehsani re-imagines the classic in primary colors and python print, with gold tone detailing and even a lock charm. The shoes are due out Feb. 7th, with an exclusive launch at Ehsani’s LA boutique Feb 1st. Would you rock ‘em? (Fashion Bomb Inbox)

sam-edelman-mariel-fringe-boots

• Sam Edelman is expanding is brand, adding a wider range of accessories including small leather goods, scarves, handbags, and hats to hit stores this fall. Edelman teamed up with LF USA to produce the new collection, whose prices will range from $38 to $300. (WWD)

~Jihan

7 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: J.Crew to Lower Prices This Spring, Beyoncé Wears $10 Million in Jewels to The Grammys, and Melody Ehsani x Reebok’s New Pump Omni “Love Me or Leave Me” Sneakers”

1. Mary says:

J crew may compromise their quality for sales. I don’t know how to feel about this news. On one hand, their suits are outrageously priced, but good quality. I won’t frequent the shop if execution and fabrics are compromised.

Lower the prices, yay!
    Cheapen the look, oh hell nawl!

2. iloveshoes says:

@Jcrew about time! They most definitely were smelling themselves with their ridiculously priced items. I’ve been shopping at J Crew over 10 years and have been floored at times from the price tag on basic sweaters and pants over the past few years. They were definitely trying to compete with designers.

Stop sewing cheap gems, brooches and necklaces on our plain cotton sweaters and white button downs and then throwing some $395+ price tag on it. Only for those same items to end up on the additional 40% off sales section and even then no on was buying it because it still ended up being overly priced. Madness!

I think J Crew has realized that those high price tags were pushing away their base customers who’ve been shopping at J Crew forever. Whether they admit it or not, they have been losing money. Glad they’ve come to their senses.

3. Steph says:

Jcrew it’s about time they lowered their prices. They are ridic. I refuse to shop there for those basic a$$ expensive clothes.

4. NickiThisNickiThat says:

I guess Beyonce would actually be wearing 15 million in jewels because her wedding ring is 5 mill alone….either way, I couldn’t even imagine

5. Grace says:

@Iloveshoes, I couldn’t agree more. I’ve been a longtime J.Crew junkie, 10+ years and I remember when the prices first started to climb. Few what?! If the quality doesn’t wane, I’ll still be making my monthly J.Crew purchases.

I love Melody Ehasani’s shoe designs BUT can she PUHLEASE partern with another shoe brand?! …no one is checking for reeboks and that’s the ONLY thing that deters me from buying them :’(

7. Tee says:

Finally J. Crew everytime I even consider shopping at the store I have to pull myself away because the prices are too high for something so simple!