December 10th, 2013
Beauty, Beyonce, Celebrity Style, Fashion, Hair
Beauty Discussion: Do You Prefer Beyoncé As A Blonde or Brunette?
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Yesterday, Beyoncé released a teaser from her forthcoming video for “Grown Woman.” In the clip, we see the hair flipping, body popping singer strut her stuff with a long, straight crop of dark brown hair.

beyonce-grown-woman-video

Now, we’ve all come to love Bey as a blonde, and she has worn her hair darker before. When she made her debut on the scene as a member of Destiny’s Child, her hair was a more natural hue, punctuated with some lighter highlights.

beyonce-mrs-carter-world-tour-vegas-emilio-pucci-spring-2014

As the group became more popular (and dropped a couple members,) Bey’s  tresses got lighter and lighter. Today, we know her as the consummate blonde, and her golden hair something of a trademark.

Beyonce-Blue-Ivy-Melbourne-Australia-Creme-de-la-creme-sweatshirt

Bey only sometimes dons darker locks for music videos or shoots, and I can’t help but wonder why? Perhaps she prefers herself as a blonde, but there’s no denying that she looks pretty darn hot with dark hair too.

0 Beyonce's Tumblr Cuba Vacation Rachel Pally Spring 2013 Printed Strapless Jumpsuit

In fact, I think she looks more intense and mysterious when she embraces her natural color. Of course, I will love Bey no matter what she does with her hair, but it would be nice to see her with chocolate brown tresses more often.

beyonce-with-dark-hair

But that’s just my opinion. What do you think? Do you prefer Bey with darker or lighter hair?

~Jihan

Posted In
43 comments

43 Responses to “Beauty Discussion: Do You Prefer Beyoncé As A Blonde or Brunette?”

1. ERICA says:

I agree with you Claire; however with a face like that, she can’t go wrong:)

Both suit her really well to be honest. But I guess im ‘bored’ of the blonde and would like to see her switch it up. But then again, who cares if I’m bored with it? Lol

It must be a slow day…..

4. Lily says:

Real question that should be asked: is this even her real hair? I’m out :)

Slow day, fast day…. just give thanks you saw another day. ANYWHO, I like the darker hair.

6. Katherine says:

DARKER, DARKER, DARKER. Blonde washes her out and ages her.

7. Dom Dom says:

Slow news day, huh?

8. Anon says:

Always loved her better as a brunette or with blonde highlights. Not a full blonde head.

9. Jaz says:

Brunette. Speaking of celebs who I prefer as a brunette – can we please add Tamar to this list?

10. HappyGirl50 says:

“Bee” Can die her hair, pink, yellow and blue all on the same damn track and never break her stride. Bow down!

11. Ashley W. says:

I like her hair color when I saw her in concert for The Beyonce Experience. It had a reddish tint and was GORG.

She can do as she pleases with her hair, but I think she’s too well known for that blonde. Makes sense to keep it that way.

12. Claire says:

It is a slow news day! Enjoy the fluff

13. gigi says:

Although I love the blonde hair on her (and some other black women) I sometimes get tired of the unnatural hair colors that black women feel they must wear (ie blonde, bright red). I love darker, natural hair.

14. S says:

Love the “fluff” Claire BTW…..SMILES!

Although Bey looks lovely with either color, I would prefer her to wear the darker hair color more. I think she let herself get in a “hair color rut” and now the world expects her to be blonde all the time. I hope she goes dark for a while. It definitely gives her a more sultry look.

15. Diva says:

BROWN! She looks younger and fresher with dark brown hair.

Blonde Bombshell!!!!

17. You remember the colour of her hair in the dc girl video? Where she wears her hair straight? I think thats the perfect colour, like a dark natural looking blonde, it made her look fresh and just natural says:

the

18. A.Buttafly says:

the blonde hair ages her.

19. wapagirl says:

Cant stand beyonce but she looks better brunette all the way. She’s aging quite a bit.

20. Drey says:

the sad story about black women and their hair.. love her and can’t deny that she has a very important influence on black girls and women but how she gets her down it’s also a way to give a message…With dark hair she is natural and more close of her natural hair than with blond even it’s not all her hair

21. Bri says:

People kill me with this natural movement. If she likes a color, why can’t she wear it? Maybe it has nothing to do with not liking her who she is and everything to do with…*gasp* her simply preferring that hair color. I swear white people can dye their hair purple and people love it. We HAVE to wear our dark hair or else we are self-hating. It’s honestly ridiculous. We can have preferences too and not have it be an abomination to our race. Jesus.

22. Aya says:

Black people… It’s a fashion blog she asked a fashion question. Stop! And it’s HAIR! Grow it, chop it, perm it, leave it. It’s yours to play with…. Back to the question. I like it either but some change would be nice. Dark. :-)

BEYONCE=BLONDE!

24. MelyB says:

Bey looks great with darker & honey-blond tresses; that uber blonde mess she’s rocking now makes her look hard & older in the face.

25. LawyerLady says:

I loved the pixie cut…..

26. Hello says:

I love bey with darker hair it fits her better and plus I’m soooo over her blonde

Give no f*cks about what color Beyonce’s hair is. She keeps cashing them L’oreal checks and I’m working my 9-5, I got other priorities. #byefelicia #thispostwasaspacefiller

28. BLONDE BLONDE NLONDE, she looks more beautiful, brighter and hotter with blonde hair…………..it suits her best and she knows it.

29. binks says:

Darker, she looks fresher and more youthful with darker hair. I think the blond hair (especially the super light blonde hair as of late) ages her and washes her out. Even if she goes with a darker blonde/light brown mixture like she had a few years ago it would look much better. But I would love to see more beautiful black women in the spotlight with a bit more natural looking hair, color or texture.

30. niknikky says:

I prefer darker hair with highlights. She looks beautiful either way, though

31. nubian says:

The dark hair brings out her eyes more,but shes beautiful in both

32. Ashley says:

This was obviously a slow news day type of post and that’s fine. But I just stopped by to say that @Bri literally took the words out of my mouth!! Good day folks!

33. ilike2smize says:

That blond rat’s nest must GO. I say darker but not that dark brown bordering on black (leather jacket pic)….too long and wiggy with all those damn curls.

34. mic says:

The girl is just dull…

35. Sparkly Pretty says:

I think chocolate brown with some copper style highlights would be the perfect balance.

No matter what her face is GORGEOUS.

Same with Janet Jackson, no matter the hairstyle or color, the face is gorgeous.

36. toots says:

Beyonce is my alll time fav im a huge stan so i must say darker colors make her look young light wased out blonde age her so dark brown makes her look young and vinrant she is so pretty it doesnt matter but i was thinking about this today that she looks better and younger with darker blonde and brown hair….

37. Drina says:

She always looks beautiful blonde or any other way.I like her hair colour the most in the Irreplaceable Video,remember that? She was stunning there.

38. NYC chick says:

i think she looks soooo much better with darker hair. that blonde is not only stale & ready for change, it simply isnt flattering. your undertones (vs the darkness/lightness of your skin) determine whether you can rock blonde and which shade of blonde is best. she just does not look her best with that super light blonde. time to reite it. i put Shakira in this category too.

39. Camillia says:

I like her hair both ways, but I think that she should change it up sometimes and go dark.

40. Alexislovesme says:

Blonde is her signature look!

41. Ashleey Dramatiicsxz says:

I’m so used to her in blonde so I would stick with that. I prefer lighter colours then darker.

42. Tem says:

Late to the party but Beyonce has a deal with Loreal. That’s why she keeps her hair the same shade. It’s not about self hate or anything. It’s about checks.

43. AuronZanark says:

I prefer Beyoncé Knowles and American Idol legend Jessica Sanchez with their natural dark hair. Blonde hair ages them and washes them out. Beyoncé is somewhat a blonde bombshell, but Jessica is not meant to be blonde.