November 26th, 2013
Ethnic Models, Fashion, Fashion News, Kanye West
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Kim and Kanye head to the Madison Square Garden for Kanye's concert

• Kimye sat down with Hot97′s Angie Martinez last night for a chat, during which Kanye revealed that he will no longer be working with Nike, and that his Yeezy 2 ‘Red Octobers’ might not be released. Here’s how the deal fell through:

“So then I start turning up in the BBC interview, so [Nike] said, ok cool, we’re gonna give you a bigger sandbox to play in. We’re gonna give you this amount right here to design, and two collections a year, and 30 skews — that’s the amount of items that you have. Would that make you happy, Kanye? And I said, well I need royalties. It’s not even like I have a joint venture. At least give me some royalties. Michael Jordan has 5%, that business is $2 billion. He makes a $100 million dollars a year off of 5% royalties. Nike told me we can’t give you royalties because you’re not a professional athlete. I told them, I go to the Garden and play one-on-NO-ONE. I’m a performance athlete… I’m 100,000 percent at all times. It’s people that work in offices trying to tell me how to think, when I got a better perspective. I live in Paris.”

Yeezy also let it slip that he may have severed ties with Nike in favor of a deal with Adidas“…The old me, without a daughter, would have taken the Nike deal because I just love Nikes so much. But the new me, with a daughter, takes the Adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my family.”  Martinez pressed West to confirm whether or not he was officially announcing a partnership with Adidas, to which he responded “Official, non-official, official, what you’re gonna see is I am going to be the TuPac of product.” (Global Grind)

jeanne-deroo-sports-blackface

ELLE France beauty editor Jeanne Deroo has come forward to issue an apology for the blackface costume she shared on Instagram this weekend. In the message, delivered via Twitter, Deroo claims she “didn’t realize”  blackface was offensive,  and she painted herself to pay homage to Solange Knowles. Wha– whaat?

I realise how much the fact of painting oneself brown is an offensive act. I didn’t realise the seriousness of my action when I went to a private party last Saturday evening, which the theme was “Icons”, and where I chose to embody Solange Knowles, of whom I am a fan. During this private party, I posted a picture of myself on my Instagram without intention of hurting anyone. I deeply regret and would like to present all my apologies. I would also like to indicate that this picture published in a private context does not involve in any way the french ELLE magazine I work for, and I am sorry for the prejudice it has caused.

By now, folks should know that unless you fell into a vat of cocoa dust at the truffle factory, painting one’s skin brown is not cute. How interesting that she felt the need to brown up in order to portray Solange Knowles, whose complexion isn’t particularly deep. Mixed prints and braids could have the gotten point across! (@jeannederoo)

alexa-chung-longchamp

Alexa Chung has been tapped as the new face of Longchamp. The DJ (is everyone a DJ these days?) and fashion it-girl will appear in the brand’s spring/summer and fall/winter 2014 ads. The campaign, shot in St-Tropez, and lensed by Max Vadukul, features Chung about town, with pieces from the brand’s Escales collection in tow. (Vogue UK)

• Here is some comedic brilliance for you on this gloomy Tuesday. Seth Rogen and James Franco just put together a shot-for-shot parody of Kanye West‘s “Bound 2″ music video, and yes, when I say shot-for-shot, that is exactly what I mean. Franco dons a plaid-on-plaid look as Kanye, and a topless Rogen, bless him, fills in for Kim.  Kimye has since responded to the vid, which went viral yesterday, and surprise! They love it! Kimmy tweeted at Seth to congratulate him for the hilarious display: “You nailed it!!!” she wrote, “Sooo funny!,” adding that even Kanye “laughed so hard” at the vid. Check it out above! (James Franco Facebook, Kim Kardashian Twitter)

chrystele-saint-louis-augustin-vogue-france

Missoni sits down with Afro-Caribbean French model Chrystèle Saint Louis Augustin to talk her career, island roots, and how her ambiguous ethnic look helped her book jobs. (Missoni Moments)

~Jihan

20 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Kanye West Nixes Nike Deal, ELLE France Editor Jeanne Deroo Says She Wore Blackface To Dress Up as Solange Knowles, and Seth Rogen & James Franco Parody Kanye West’s “Bound 2″ Music Video”

1. Melissa says:

I’m starting to think he moved to Paris just so he can say he lives in Paris, damn. I’ve never seen somebody rep Paris so hard. easy ‘Ye.

2. Athalie says:

I will never understand why celebrities who have millions on millions in the bank need to pursue other “ventures”. To provide for your family, Kanye? Really? Does North need a small island? A small set of islands?

3. Athalie says:

I will never understand why celebrities who have millions on millions feel the need to pursue additional “ventures”. Does North need a small island, Kanye? A small set of islands?

4. bella says:

@athalie what kind of flop logic…? what’s wrong with wanting more for yourself? why not make more money if you have the opportunity? wtf.

5. laura says:

kim needs to stop lying…I’m sure Kanye did not find that spoof funny.. I’m sure he had one of his tantrums about it

6. aries says:

Chrystèle Saint Louis Augustin is gorgeous. thanks for posting, I will read her story.

7. Hmmmm says:

I almost died Uh-huh Honey!

8. Chic Noir says:

at times i just want Kayne to shut the heck up, but not on this one. he’s absolutely correct to terminate the Nike deal. i’m confused why anyone would think it’s okay for Nike to profit off of Kanye/his name/ideas without Kanye getting paid too – regardless of how much money the man already has. if Nike can say what they will or won’t do, Kayne should be able to do the same…people only take advantage of you if you let them….

9. ANON00 says:

Well, he’s thinking BIG. I’m sure North will want a family & her family will want a family & so forth @Athalie it doesn’t end with one generation. Kanye wants black wealth. I can not knock him for that. He says screw whoever makes you compromise. They’re using his sketches, he deserves royalties. LOL @ Bella

10. Shirley says:

I will not buy anything from Kanye West until he gets his head examined!

As for white folks in blackface, I thing it’s some kind of initiation thing, I know this sounds weird but…. They continue to do it and then there’s backlash then continue to do it. It’s like some rite of passage or something. Maybe the devil made them do it. I just don’t get it. More blackfaces will be coming up on the horizons.

LUV YU YEEZY!

12. Sunny says:

Coming up next….Kim and Kanye go to the toilet…….And now a word from our sponsor Kim and Kanye…….

13. RHONYC says:

Elle’s dumbasz editor (sorry her name’s not important enough to remember) that whilst she’s PRIVILEGED to be in a creative position that peeps would KILL for, she’s demonstrated AND perpetuated in her staggering ignorance that ol’ racist catchphrase:

***********ALL BLACK PEOPLE LOOK ALIKE***************

if she were truly trying to rep, Solange’s skintone is NOT the color of ‘Burnt Amber’. get a 64 box of Crayolas and work that sh!t out. smh :-/

************************

Chrystèle was my MAIN 90′s haircrush b/c she was one of ‘the’ only models rockin’ a texture similar to mine and just wearing it free. love her! ;-D

14. Clarice says:

I need some clarification because it seems my mind absolutely refuses to process what I’ve just read. So…the ELLE France beauty editor is trying to tell me that she did not realize that people consider black face offensive after a little less than a month ago, noted fashion/beauty industry insider Alessandro Dell’Acqua and photographer Giampaolo Sgura released “apologies” for the seemingly disrespectful (not on purpose) antics of Disco Africa being purported as “highlighting” the influence of Africa in design and culture-at a PRIVATE party. 3 things I’ve come away with after this:
    1. If it is a private party, it gives you license to do whatever the hell you want.
    2. The Italians and French do not converse.
    3. As Mr. Paul Mooney famously (and probably correctly)stated, “Everybody wants to be a nigga, but nobody wants to be a nigger.”

15. mimi says:

@chicnoir Kanye DID get paid, he was only refused royalties which is fair enough from a business stand point for Nike but its also okay for Kanye to refuse collaborating for that reason but the TURNING UP is/was absolutely unnecessary. KANYE WEST needs his head examined PRONTO!

SMDH at that elle editor, BYE FELICIA!

I UNDERSTAND FBD HAS TO (CHOOSES TO) REPORT CERTAIN STORIES. AND I GET IT. BUT THIS WHOLE “BLACKFACE” ISSUE IS NOT GOING AWAY. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO DO IT AND NOT CARE. ITS NOT THAT THEY DID NOT KNOW IT WAS OFFENSIVE THEY JUST SIMPLY DID NOT CARE. THESE ARE GROWN MEN & WOMEN. IM VERY SURE THEY ARE ALL ACKNOWLEDGED ON WHAT RACISM IS AND KNEW THAT AN OUTRAGE WOULD BE STARTED OVER THERE DECISIONS TO PAINT THEMSELVS. THEY JUST SIMPLY DONT CARE!!! ALL THEY WANT IS THE PUBLICITY (WHICH EVERY BLOGGER IS GIVING THEM. WHAT PEOPLE FAIL TO REALIZE IS IF THEY ARE TRULY RACIST OR REALLY DONT CARE ABOUT OFFENDING ANYONE THAT MEANS THEY ARE NOT LOOKING FOR OUR VALIDATION IN THE MATTER. THEY ARE NOT APOLOGIZING TO US (BLACK PEOPLE) THEY ARE SIMPLY TRYING TO LOOK GOOD IN “OTHER PEOPLES” EYES. EVERYONE WANTS TO HOLLER “IM NOT PURCHASING FROM THAT COMPANY ANYMORE, OR I WONT SUPPORT THEM” THEY DONT CARE!

17. Queen says:

Anonymous,
    I completely agree with you. This world and the people in control of it don’t care about our(black people) people. They have stolen from us since the beginning of time, lied to us about everything, misconstrued our lifestyles and beliefs, raped us and then split up our families,took what is good to us and made it evil to the world, make us like look something that we are not, they use us for our gifts so that they can profit. Material is all they are concerned about. They know of nothing deeper and meaningful. When any smart and insightful person know that is no such thing as color simple because we are the color of this universe. We always has been and always will be. It’s been conditioned this way for hundreds of year. We are the only people on this planet without unity and this has been a plan in motion for centuries. And it is working thus far. Our minds have been fucked into prostitution. And you all have a great day!!!

18. fav1 says:

That bound 3 video made me piss my pants! that was too funny!

19. jaz says:

Look at all the things you get once you sell your soul. May God have mercy on everyone soul.

20. Avada says:

some people understand kanye, some don’t..simple. and who gives a f*ck about this black face sh*t when there is a a whole movie called white chicks featuring 2 black men dressed and stereotyping white women? i hate america :)