September 20th, 2013
Diversity, Ethnic Models, Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

topshop-unique-spring-2014
After hearing Iman and Naomi Campbell speak out, We were wondering when we would hear a word about diversity on the runway from Jourdan Dunn. The model has been very vocal in the past about the discrimination she and other black models have faced in the industry, and now, in an interview in The Fashion, a new biannual from The Observer and The Guardian, Dunn unapologetically dishes about the industry’s racist actions. “The people who control the industry … say if you have a black face on a magazine cover it won’t sell, but there’s no real evidence for that. It’s lazy,” she said.  “I feel like the people who should be talking about it, and who can make a difference, aren’t. All I can do is talk. The people higher than me – the stylists, the designers, the casting directors – they’re the ones with the power to change this. That’s where the conversation needs to happen – at big-dog level. The people who control the industry. They say if you have a black face on a magazine cover it won’t sell, but there’s no real evidence for that. It’s lazy. You always hear ‘there aren’t enough black models’, which is BS. It’s all about these dead excuses.”  Couldn’t have said it better myself! It’s great to see some of the world’s top black models throwing support behind the Diversity Coalition’s initiative, and speaking about the discrimination they’re still made to put up with, even when they’ve reached high levels of success. Kudos to Jourdan for telling it like it is! (The Fashion)

matthew-williamson-karlie-kloss-lindex

Matthew Williamson has joined forces with Lindex for a women’s and children’s collection, set to drop October 4th. “This collection was really about capturing the DNA of my main line,” he told Vogue UK. “I wanted to include lots of great pattern and colour, but do it in a very wearable way. The theme is loosely based on the idea of the English rose. I imagined the wearer in a fantastic, slightly decayed stately home in the English countryside for a long weekend.” The designer tapped Karlie Kloss for the campaign, which you can view over at Vogue UK’s website (Vogue UK)

Stuart Weitzman fêted the opening of their Milan flagship yesterday, debuting their fashion flick for their #madeforwalking campaign, featuring (who else?) Kate Moss. We got a chance to see the flick, both in Milan and at a blogger’s event here in NYC. In the short, Kate Moss, stuck in a cab in the middle of London traffic, decides to eschew running up the meter and get to her destination, in her very comfortable and walkable Stuart Weitzman boots. Check it out above! (Fashion Bomb inbox)

nicholas-kirkwood-spring-2013-fluro-green-studded-cutout-sandal

• LVMH announces its newest acquisition today, bringing British shoe designer Nicholas Kirkwood into the fold. The luxury giant has taken a majority stake in the label, with plans to help expand and strengthen the growing brand. Kirkwood is obviously thrilled about this new partnership, seeing it as an opportunity to “focus on doing the creative, and really be able to explore new things.” Financial backing from LVMH is certain to be good for Kirkwood, and possibly for us fashionistas. Maybe this new partnership might spark projects, like say, a lower priced Kirkwood range? We’ll just have to see… (WWD)

scott-eastwood-is-so-freaking-hot-in-town-and-country-and-all-the-time-yes-lawd

Scott Eastwood‘s Town & Country spread has gotten the girls all in a tizzy! Knowing that the world cannot get enough of Eastwood’s washboard abs and crinkly twinkly blue eyes, the magazine has released more images from the buzzy spread. And yes: he looks totally gorgeous, and one of the snaps is already saved as my phone background. Thank you Town & Country! (Town & Country)

isabel-marant-hm-collection

• The October issue of Harper’s Bazaar has another peek at H&M‘s forthcoming Isabel Marant collaboration, and it looks pretty freaking spectacular. Marant said she tried to bring a similar level of craftmanship as her main line to the capsule: “It was clear from the beginning that we didn’t want to just do a cheap version of Isabel Marant, so we worked around keeping a really high level of quality in the fabrics and the manufacturing, doing things by hand,” she said. Eep! Sounds like I need to start saving now! The collaboration hits stores on November 15th. (Racked)

~Jihan

11 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Jourdan Dunn Thinks Fashion is ‘Lazy’ With Diversity, Another Look at Isabel Marant x H&M, and LVMH Buys Stake in Nicholas Kirkwood”

1. AforbritUK says:

Yay for Jourdan! I love this girl for speaking out. I wish more black models and their allies would. The decision makers need to be called out. Let’s hope this campaign will lead to real change and not just lip service for one season and then it’s back to all white with a sprinkle of Asian.

2. tasha says:

Jourdan is right. Everyone can talk about it but until the big dogs start talking and doing nothing will change. We get happy to see one person in spread on the run way. There is plenty of models to be casted. America seems to only think one type of person is pretty

HM x Marant is going to be over priced and I doubt the quality will be good.

I commend jourdan for speaking out, and while I agree with her 100 % the part I have a problem with is this whole “big dog ” thing and who hold the power. Honestly, we shouldn’t allow anyone to have
    Power over us and its obvious they don’t want change or else things wouldn’t be the way they are. We can take that power away from them by continuing to speak out and hitting them where it hurts most, the pockets !! I dislike when I here people say I can’t do something because I don’t have the power, last I remember the only person who holds true power is the man up above !!

4. Honeybrown says:

5. Janet says:

Isabel marant is overrated.

6. Gray says:

I agree Honeybrown, its the buyers who have the power. I have made a commitment to purchase at least 50% of my clothes from black designers. Supply and demand, black people hold 1.7 trillion dollars of buying power for 2014. We vote each time we make a purchase, I shake my head at people who take so much pride in wearing labels that has never done anything for them, their people, or their community. Be SMART consumers, forget the “big-dogs”.

7. Jei says:

@Honeybrown Agreed. They are only the “big dogs” if we continue to let them be.

I do commend that she is speaking out && really hope others start to do the same. We can make an impact.

8. Emma says:

For the Zara lovers: have you noticed how extremely Caucasian their campaigns and lookbooks are? The newest one is an ode to pure Caucasian beauty. Very shocking! I’m considering boycotting this brand and starting a petition because enough is enough! I know a lot of black women worldwide swear by Zara so they can do better.

9. Aya says:

We need to start realiIzing if they don’t want to appeal to us and advertise to us. Stop buying and wanting their product. I’m tired of the disrespect. Bye.

10. Well done to Jourdan for speaking out!

… Scott Eastwood is rather delicious.

11. New Girl says:

Do you have a junk mail issue members; I additionally ‘m some sort of writer, and I seemed to be needing to establish your situation; a lot of us are suffering from many awesome methods and we’re hunting in order to change approaches with other people, be sure to throw everyone a communication in case serious.