August 29th, 2013
Fashion Events, Fashion News, Fashion Week, Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Winter Wardrobe
By Danielle Nicole

Mercedes Benz Fashion Week will be upon us in just a mere 6 days! And while many of us will be taking in 2014’s hottest trends from our computer and TV screens, some of the lucky few will get a firsthand experience to witness top designers’ creations come to life on the runway, whether it be from the front row or backstage.

Narea writes, “Hi Fashion Bomb! I’ve been visiting New York for the past few years during fashion week, but this is my first time being backstage and in action dressing for Ms. Audrey Smaltz and the Ground Crew! We are required to wear all black, can you give me ideas for some affordably chic ensembles?”

I’ve done a bit of research on the dos and donts of personal style when it comes to working behind the scenes at fashion week. And the key components to consider when putting together a look are comfort and functionality. Because you will be asked to do just about any and every task needed to ensure that the show goes off without a hitch, dressing in a way that allows you to move about effortlessly should be your highest priority. However, this does not mean that you can’t add bits and pieces to your wardrobe that are just chic enough to go beyond a simple black tee and black jeans. So to set you up, I’ve styled a variety of head to toe black ensembles that should get you through a day of fashion week mayhem.

For look #1, create a simple black on black ensemble with a sleeveless asymmetric top, black coated skinny jeans, and a blazer with gold chain embellishment.

What to Wear Backstage at MBFW 3

Work in a few additional gilded details with a pair of cap toe flats, a black pendant necklace, and gold earrings. Complete the look with a basic black shopper bag, a soft pink lip, and a neutral lid.

Add a bit of edge to a peplum look with a pair of faux leather pants and a stylish wedge bootie. As I’m sure you’ll be running around like a mad woman, opt for a pointy toe d’orsay flat if a wedge just won’t do.

What to Wear Backstage at MBFW 2

A bold tribal statement necklace, triangle stud earrings, and a gold cocktail ring give this look a bit of pizzazz. And throw everything you’ll need to keep you rejuvenated throughout the day in a leather mini bucket bag.

Opt for a subtle print with a pair of tapered trousers (also find a similar option here) topped with a contrast collar blouse. Forego a simple pair of flats and step into a pair of black Chelsea ankle boots to add a bit of rocker edge.

What to Wear Backstage at MBFW 4

Incorporate a simple statement piece with a gold-tone graduated black geometric necklace, grab a structured handbag, and perfect your pout with a blush pink lipstick option to complete this ensemble.

A jacquard necklace shell top mixed with a pair of ruched hem trousers and a Naomi flat create a fun and polished look for your final wardrobe option.

What to Wear Backstage at MBFW

If you want to spice things up, work in a black turban, a studded satchel, and a set of jewel embellished rings. Lastly, throw in a dash of color with a sparkly mani as the finishing touch.

And there you have it! I hope you have a wonderful time during fashion week working with The Ground Crew. Which look has inspired you for your backstage experience?

*If you haven’t heard of Audrey Smaltz and The Ground Crew, let’s get into a bit of fashion history, shall we?
audrey smaltz the ground crew new york fashion week black history
Ms. Smaltz is the CEO of the Ground Crew, which is the fashion industry’s first backstage management company. Smaltz is known by insiders as the go to person to help get runway shows ready–from dressing models to making sure hair and makeup are whipped to perfection. Her clients include Oscar De La Renta, Donna Karan, Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, Bill Blass, Gucci, J. Crew, Adrienne Vittadini, Vera Wang, and many more.

See designers from Michael Kors to Oscar de la Renta to Nanette Lepore sing her praises in this Youtube video. She is a living fashion legend.
audrey smaltz the ground crew new york fashion week
Images: FabOverFifty.com

19 Responses to “Fall 2013 Style Inspiration: What to Wear as a Member of Audrey Smaltz’s The Ground Crew During Mercedes Benz Fashion Week”

1. kayla says:

Thanks for the wonderful fashion options and the information regarding Ms.Smaltz!

2. JrDesignerLove says:

Great selections and affordable too.

3. MelyB says:

Great post! Luv the feature on Ms. Smaltz.

4. Marsha says:

What a great post! I love the outfits and would love them in my everyday life.

5. Elise says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!!

6. JLynn719 says:

Love the all black looks…. I am still rocking my leather pants this year. I hope that trend never dies. And thank you for the fashion lesson. It would be great to make a little fashion history post weekly, I love hearing about the legends that don’t get as much press

7. THANK YOU for the history on Ms.Smaltz, it is awesome to see a Woman doing her thang and doing it well!!!!!!!!!!

This is possibly one of my Favorite of all the “What to Wear” posts! Great job! Love all of these options!

9. la mala says:

this is why i keep coming back to this site! thank you!

10. binks says:

Cute looks, love the first one!

11. Empress says:

Love. #1 is my fav.

Ms. Smaltz has a great spirit, loved the feature on her. Also the selections are lovely as usual #1 and 3 are my favs.

13. EJ says:

That Adia Kibur necklace in outfit #2 is to die for.

14. Cindy says:

I love this post because I love black and the pieces are so affordable and chic. Also thanks for the little fashion history.

15. ReciRich says:

I dressed for the ground crew during the S/S 2012 shows! It was an amazing experience but it was not easy. We had 6am call times and worked 10 hour days. Not to mention it was my very first time in New York and it was challenging getting around the city. With all of that being said, wear super duper confortable shoes! Not unsupportive flats or heel pinching boots! (Trust me I tried it LOL) Backstage can be very tight and filled with 100 models stylist dressers photograhers H&MU artist designers/assists set designers PR people and press so don’t wear anything dangling (safety) or too expensive becasue soemthing might get broken or stolen. Have Fun!

16. You haven’t experienced the correct pronunciation of names like Yves St. Laurent or Givenchy until you’ve heard them rolled off the exquisite tongue of Ms. Smaltz! #EbonyFashionFair

17. S. Enjoli says:

Loving Ms. Smaltz!!!!!

18. Ess Bee says:

Love the looks that were chosen as for my current job I have to wear black, but I used to work for The Ground Crew for 4 years, and Ms. Smaltz is not the kind, giving woman this article (I guess, I didn’t read it, I know all I need to know about Ms. Smaltz) claims her to be. Her right hand woman Amina ended up leaving her and starting her own company with freelancers dressing models backstage. That’s how bad it got with how Ms. Smaltz treats her employees. She was fired by many fashion week designers because of how rude she was to them. Smart right, when they are the ones who pay her for her services. I can go on and on about the years I worked with and around her, and even the time she insulted me in the bathroom at a Angela Bassett hosted fashion show at Cipriani (talking to a group of her Caucasian friends after I asked her a very innocent question that, “we” as in the African American men and women who work for her, never get out of the hood and don’t know how to act when at fancy places like Cipriani), but I’ll end here. She is one of those African American women who depending on who she is in front of, forgets she is in fact, an African American woman. She may be an “icon” and paint vivid mental pictures while she walks down the catwalk memory lane, but a gracious woman she is not.

19. Holly says:

Great looks and very chic. Would love to know how the author felt about her experience with Audrey Smaltz’s Ground Crew. My experience with the Ground Crew was a nightmare – so rude and disrespectful. Would never work with this organization again.