August 27th, 2013
Fashion News, Shopping, Style Inspiration, What to Wear, Winter Wardrobe
Fall 2013 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a College Football Game
By Danielle Nicole

The official football season is just around the corner, and college football fans and alumni are gearing up to cheer on their favorite teams in style!

Allure writes, ” I need your help. I’m trying to find an outfit to wear to my alma mater’s (Jackson State University) football game classic next month. I want to be cute but I don’t want to look like I’m doing too much. Plus it will still be hot around that time. Help!”

I’m no sports fan and I’m definitely not the kind of girl to wear her favorite player’s jersey to a game. So when I do attend the occasional sporting event, I like to dress up in a casually chic fit that’s more stylish than it is sports friendly. And seeing that this is your alma mater’s football classic, where I’m sure you’ll be doing your fair share of socializing, I thought it would be fitting to doll you up in a few noteworthy pieces that you can wear into Fall as well.

For look #1, Take advantage of your last minute summer favorites with a white crop top and high west ombre denim cuffed shorts. Give this look some life with a pair of burgundy ankle boots and an Alexander Wang Rocco bag.

What to Wear to a College Football Game 3

Transition this warm weather ensemble into the perfect Fall look by adding in a blush pink cardigan and a burgundy beanie with pom pom detail. Lastly, cap things off with a woven rainbow ribbon chain necklace, a  Vince Camuto gold mesh and onyx bracelet, and a soft berry lip.

Dress up a grey and black t-shirt with a classic pair of faux leather leggings and a two-tone waterfall biker jacket. Opt for a pair of high top leopard print sneakers or add a bit of height with a pair of Isabel Marant Sebay suede ankle boots.

What to Wear to a College Football Game

For the finishing touch, accent this casually cool ensemble with a pair of aviator shades, a large black handbag, and a few gilded jewelry options.

Create a football jersey-esque vibe with a pair of trendy joggers and a graphic varsity tee. Jazz up this casual look with a faux leather drape jacket, Zigi Girl J Zo boots, and a gold cuff. Carry your lipstick and sunnies in a trusty handbag and you’ll be all set.

What to Wear to a College Football Game1

And for your final wardrobe option, slip into a sleeveless jersey top, a pair of skinny jeans, and a stylish pair of flat studded knee boots.

What to Wear to a College Football Game 2

Master the art of layering with a chunky knit sweater, a contrast sleeve biker jacket, a leopard printed scarf, and Minkpink Top It Off beanie. Rock a fierce handbag, gold chunky rings, and a fun pop of berry lipstick to complete this look.

What do you think? Will you recreate any of these looks to help you cheer on your team to victory? If you need a few more style suggestions, take a peek at What to Wear to a Football Game archives here and here.

27 Responses to “Fall 2013 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a College Football Game”

1. Bee. says:

Love, love, love the first look!!

2. Empress says:

6 inch boots to a game? Lol

Cute looks

3. Cinthia says:

I love alllll the outfits, but heels to a football game is too much… stick to ankle booties if you want to dress an outfit up

4. ... says:

These are cute options, but what about a football game in the south in the heat tho?

5. Enigma says:

Love all the looks but I especially love all the jackets featured and they are affordable! Perfect for fall. With the exception of the Zigi boots all the other options are acceptable to wear to a sporting event.

6. Kay says:

Another post about going to a football/homecoming/probate/college event post that does a little too much. I like the outfits but again heels in the bleaches is a no no. You don’t want to send this woman back to her Alma Mater looking like she is trying so hard. Skip the heels, rock a toned down version of these cute outfits and remain approachable. I mean, isn’t the point to be social with many than to be isolated with a few with an overdone unapproachable outfit? This ain’t a wives or ex-wives reality show

7. Marsha says:

I am loving the jackets. I love fall weather expressly for the opportunities to wear cute jackets! LOL

8. dyshaun says:

I like the look with the heels. Football in the south def shouldve included some dress options in the alma mater’s colors.

A “classic” in addition a game, is more like a parade of ppl, who’s who and who to see, so you do wanna be snatched.

9. homey.lover.friend says:

I love Danielle’s looks —always — all of them. I went to a predominantly white college where no one was fashionable at a football game. It was all about team gear. At other schools (HBCU’s) do people bring it? Curious b/c these looks would definitely stand out at any game I’ve ever been to.

10. Dee says:

Sooo I guess no one else sees the high top sneakers as an option??? These are super cute looks and if you want to dress it up wear the boots, if you want to dress it down wear the sneakers. It’s that simple.

11. Crystal says:

A dress to a football game? wow. Ok, well it seems from those familiar with college football games in the south…these looks are not too much. They’re all really cute either way. There are a few pair of wedge sneakers in the looks by the way.

12. Claire says:

I want those Isabel Marant boots! Now!!

13. bebe says:

I love the fall, cute jackets, knits, and layering pieces. My favourite are the last 2 looks.

14. JERSEY says:

Agree with Claire…those boots are everything. Why are the listed as Sebay though? They are the Scarlett from this year’s F/W line.

15. Niecy says:

As a person that has attended an HBCU in the south, these outfits are not off base at all. Any big event is an excuse to get dressed up and yes this includes big football/ basketball games, homecoming etc. Hell people got dressed up to go to the student center. So to everyone who is saying these outfits are too much, please ask someone who has actually been to an HBCU and knows how it is.

16. Adine says:

Love all the looks… amazing…

17. southern says:

as an HBCU graduate, please don’t be that girl that wears heels to a football game, not even if it’s an HBCU classic

18. RL says:

I Love all of these looks! you’re super amazing Danielle! Also, its ok guys there is only one “heel” option. Some people (like myself in my younger days lol) wear heels to all events. I’m a huge sports fan and wear heels to professional basketball games on the regular. It’s not ‘that” frowned upon.

19. EJ says:

Thanks Danielle! Once again you got me on that River Island website shopping. I just bought that black and white waterfall biker jacket #hadtohaveit.

20. binks says:

Love all the options, honestly I don’t think the picks are that off minus the heels but Danielle gave a wedge sneaker option so win-win. Though I do think wearing heels or overly dressing up for a game is a bit pretentious especially when you are in the stands, jammed in the crowds, cheering, whether change, walking, etc.

21. Faith says:

Cute looks!

22. itsjustme says:

those isabelle marant boots….*DROOL*

23. AshleyG says:

The looks are cute- but you should definitely should consider the vibe of your school when choosing. The outfits are cute but I think the accessories are off. Heels and bleachers do NOT mix- the wedge tennis shoes are cool though. And while those bags are hot, you’d be silly to wear any of them to a game. If you must go high end, carry your coated canvas LV- otherwise, a cute cross-body in a color/material that can survive dirt, spilled coke and/or nacho cheese (from yourself or anyone else) is a much better choice!

24. Akm says:

I like the looks overall but I don’t know what football game you’d be going to in those outfits. You’d stick out like a sore thumb

25. Diva says:

who is still wearing stiletto timbs ???? ewwwww

26. mary says:

I’m from the south and at college football games sum people dress up and wear hills and some people dress casual and wear their school colors. Its all about wearin wat u are comfortable on.

27. Dominique says:

LOL, these are all wrong. They’re cute outfits, but these are more for basketball games. In the south we wear dresses, heels, school color accessories, oxfords, khaki pants, and a flask.