August 26th, 2013
Fashion, Featured, On the Scene
On The Scene: The 2013 MTV Video Music Awards
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

What has been seen cannot be unseen. Tonight’s VMA follies will be seared into my memory for at least a week, and it’s a lot for me to grapple with right now. I think I need some anointing. Let’s… let’s just get into the looks.

paula-patton-robin-thicke-vmas-2013

Paula Patton kicked up a leg in a sparkly black Lever Couture gown. Robin Thicke looks pretty polished, too!

lady-gaga-vmas-2013

A little hair and makeup might have jazzed up Lady Gaga‘s Prabal Gurung look.

tlc-vmas-2013

TLC’s Tionne Watkins and Rozonda Thomas went with all-black looks for the night.

wiz-khalifa-vmas-2013

Wiz Khalifa showed off the spoils of his Sunday afternoon Flatbush Avenue shopping spree.

danity-kane-vmas-2013I’m not mad at Danity Kane‘s matching black-and-white ensembles! They look pretty hot!

rocsi-diaz-vmas-2013

Rocsi Diaz went with a colorful Pia Pauro dress, Alejandro Ingelmo pumps, and a Gelareh Mizrahi clutch.miley-cyrus-vmas-2013

Before hitting the stage to traumatize Rihanna, Taylor Swift, and all of America, Miley Cyrus strutted down the red carpet in a jewel-encrusted Dolce and Gabbana two piece paired with Giuseppe Zanotti peeptoes. I’m trying to be a nicer person, so I will just say she has a spectacularly toned tummy.

ciara-future-vmas-2013

Seeing Ciara and Future together warms my cold heart! Cici showed us what a real ‘Body Party’ looks like in an embellished skeleton-embroidered Givenchy gown. Future was quite dapper himself in Alexander McQueen.

2-chainz-vmas-2013

2Chainz wore Versace, of course.

coco-rocha-vmas-2013

Coco Rocha gave us tough girl realness in a studded Fausto Puglisi leather moto jacket. Love!

richard-simmons-vmas-2013

Richard Simmons was the best thing about the VMA’s red carpet this year.

busta-rhymes-vma-2013

I’m surprised Busta Rhymes was able to pull himself away from Uncle Beresford’s pre-VMA bashment to make it to the red carpet in time! All he needs are some pointy-toed white alligator wingtips, and he’s ready to willy bounce alllll night!
katy-perry-vmas-2013

This affair needed some of Katy Perry‘s cleavage to console me jazz it up, but sadly, the ‘Teenage Dream’ singer chose to keep her décolletage under wraps this time. Really, the lack of boobage is my only problem with this otherwise fabulous Emmanuel Ungaro number.

erin-wasson-2013-vmas

I could say all sorts of things about this sheer Alexandre Vauthier piece Erin Wasson showed up in, but one look at my gut peeking out from under this rice and beans-stained t-shirt I’m wearing right now is keeping me from doing so. Her body looks great!

rita-ora-vmas-2013

Rita Ora also went with an Alexandre Vauthier Fall 2013 couture creation, and darn it– she looks fabulous! Contender for best look of the night!

jordin-sparks-jason-derulo-vmas-2013

Ain’t nothin’ like a good ‘ol hook-and-eye closure to polish off a zipper-ridden look. I might have been more into Jordin Sparks‘s outift if it didn’t have a collar– and if the tailoring by the zippers was a bit more finished, or zipped all the way. She looks beautiful, and Jason DeRulo also looks pretty great.

jennifer-hudson-vmas-2013

Jennifer Hudson‘s Dior ensemble was a win, although I might have liked to see her hair slicked back.

selena-gomez-vmas-2013

…And not a flaw was found. Selena Gomez slayed once again in an Atelier Versace gown.

willow-smith-jaden-smith-vmas-2013

Willow and Jaden Smith are kids.

iggy-azalea-vmas-2013

And lastly, Iggy Azalea was a golden goddess in Emilio Pucci! I adore this look on her!

There you have it, guys! Who had your favorite ‘fit?
See more snaps on our Facebook page.
~Jihan

Images: Getty

38 Responses to “On The Scene: The 2013 MTV Video Music Awards”

1. Shanna says:

Upon first glance I though Rita was BEYONCE…isnt she giving us Irreplaceable-Bday 2006 Realness?! Go off Ms. Rita! Ciara can pretty much do no wrong..her and Mr. Future look very nice! I am here for KATY! No Cleavage and all, get into those legs hunny!!! Selena, thank you, this is how a child star transitions into adulthood!(talk to your girl Miley)…thats about all I got!

2. BOO says:

maria carla wore the same dress(ciara) at the met gala 2011 ( before beyonce)

3. jbrizzy says:

This award show was WACK AF. Why did I think Rita Ora was Beyonce? and Ciara wore that dress better than Bey.But why were some of these damn people even their? especially Rita Ora

4. Anon-E-Mous says:

“Willow and Jaden Smith are kids” bwahahah chile the shade hunty!! lol

@Shana, I thought she was Beyonce too. I just knew Bey or Jay were going to be there in Brooklyn but I guess not! But I got into Miss Rita!

Coco Rocha look like she was going for a casual night on the town and i’m so past DONE with all these rappers over doing the Versace! Dang does the urban culture have to over due and devalue EVERYTHING!!?? I have seen 2 Chainz look very dapper but no sir to this! Future looked good and i’m just going to let Cici slay thatt.tah!!

5. Anon-E-Mous says:

@JBrizzy

The whole show was stupid and fixed as usual. No diversity AT ALL, except for your usuals minus Jay and Bey! OVERMTV.COM

6. Dom says:

Coco Rocha looked great. Also loving Ciara’s look.

LOL @ Wiz on Flatbush

Really wish Jordin Sparks would take a fashion risk. She’s so incredibly boring!

7. Est87 says:

Iggy looked the best! Beyonce’s – I mean Rita’s – outfit is not appropriate for the VMA’s! That’s more grammy’s/fashion event.

8. What says:

Iggy Azalea looks the best here hands down. As for Miley…like girl why?Tryin’ so hard. I can’t wait for TheRead to hear what Fury and Crissle have to say about it all because I know this is gonna be one of the topics lol

9. kateee says:

honorary mention goes to Jennifer Hudson. This is the first time in a while that I have seen her looking this good

10. Mesa says:

Sooooo ummmm Rita looks just like beyonce. I mean just like her. She looks great but ahhh yea ummm.,. I think Ciara looked great!! Her and future look amazing together! Miley looks like Angelica doll Cynthia from rugrats with that outfit and hair. Smdh.

11. peplum lover says:

wow feels like no one made an effort this year
    mainly a snooze fest………. ok ….

rita ora – thought she was Beyonce from afar with the hair and makeup. nice dress but i feel like it is a dress for cannes or the met gala – way over dressed :/ still looked gorge though
    rocsi – cute look
    lady gaga – i was expecting something toe curling and outrageous :/ obviously not

no one else jumped out at me

Lmaooooo at Miley looking like the Cynthia doll. But seriously what’s going on with Paula Patton??

13. subo says:

“Willow and Jaden Smith are kids”. LOL at the shade, So much shade it was a damn eclipse. I think the best looks would be Ciara and Selena. The rest look blah.

14. itsjustme says:

aubrey o’day, ciara and rita all look very cute. something looks extremely off with paula patton.

15. Patti says:

Ciara was perfection! The fit, her body, the fact that she wore no undergarment (as most who’ve worn the dress before have) just shows how magical she wore it. Best dressed- hands down. And one more thing, that dress takes on a whole new life and dimension on Ciara. That’s what couture is about!

16. bella says:

they all look a mess imo. nobody wowed me. Ciara looks good but it’s not for this type of awards show.

17. Brandi N says:

LOL @ Claire for the “Seeing Future and Ciara together warms my cold heart.” I heard a DJ on the radio say that Future was ready to make Ciara the ‘one,” and my cold, cynical heart thought, “we’ll see.” Anyway love Ciara’s look as well as Iggy’s.

18. Nikki says:

DEATH @ “Willow and Jaden Smith are kids.” I can’t witchu today lmao

19. Michelle says:

CoCo, Jordin, GaGa and Iggy the only few who actually looks good.

20. the brooklyn streets and skyline look hot in these photos. i thought rita was beyonce too!

Paula Patton always looks like she just left Lamar Odom’s apartment after smoking crack together….

22. mi manning says:

it’s a tie between Ciara and Rita Ora….close behind is Katy Perry!
    hashtag MTV awards suck!!!!

23. Enigma says:

Selena, Cici, Rita, Coco and Jhud looked great. I liked Danity Kane cohesive looks.

Hahaha at the girl next to Katy Perry in the picture.
    Looks like she’s standing right next to her while she isn’t rofl.

25. Lisa says:

Ciara all the way. It’s now that I “understand” this dress (the skeleton part) I didn’t get it when Bey wore it. I thought Rita was Beyonce by the way….

26. Amber says:

I love Paula’s gown but here weave is a bit messy

TLC, Lady GaGa, Danity Kane, a hot mess

Iggy Azalea Love the dress but I would have loved it if it wasn’t the same color as her flesh and hair. She needs to wear pieces with a pop of color, or make up or even change of hair color.

2 Chainz -another rappers wearing the usual labels to the extreme that i wouldn’t even wear it if I had money.

Huge Katy Perry but I don’t like this look. I would prefer to see more skin.

J Hud love

Rosci Diaz- its ok

Jordan Parks- I love this look even with a color

Selena Gomez- i love her look

Iggy, Selena, Ciara are my top three. Gorgeous.

Dead @ Miley looking like the Cynthia doll from Rugrats.
    And I thought I was the only one who thought Paula looked a bit off?

28. sweetie says:

For mtv i think i liked Rita Ora’s look, the train is a little long but she looked good. This is MTV you cant look too serious

29. Dobe says:

LMAO @”…but one look at my gut peeking out from under this rice and beans-stained t-shirt I’m wearing right now…”

30. Noirre says:

What?!?!

Iggy and Rita !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Ronnie says:

Thought it was Beyonce too.

i nominate rita outfit for outfit of the year already babe!! HOT!

34. Jei says:

Ciara && Future look nice. I like them together.
    J Hud looks nice.
    T-Boz && Chili, I was really sad.
    2 Chainz looks a hot mess.
    Erin’s dress is hot.
    Miley, oh Miley..

Besides Justin Timberlake’s performance, that show was a complete waste of my life.

Rita looks stunning!

36. Will & Jaden are kids!!

HAHAHAHA

37. gilanobeauty says:

DEAD @ Jaden and Willow are kids!! But I LOVED Selena Gomez look the best Ciara is really close. Everybody else…ummm and Lord just why Busta Rhymes why…

38. Joe Q says:

Rita your legs are beautiful. Busta!