July 16th, 2013
Andre Leon Talley, Beyonce, Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

alexander mcqueen meatpacking store
• Alexander McQueen‘s Meatpacking District store is embroiled in a legal battle, now that a former security guard is filing suit against shop saleswomen with claims that they subjected him to racial discrimination while he was working there. 22-year old Othman Ibela from Gabon alleges that one of the shopgirls, Kimberly Mahnke“repeatedly made jokes about me running nude in Africa with a spear in my hand.” He also says she told him that Barack Obama and his family should be “sent back to Africa.” In addition, Ibela says the staffers made a practice of ignoring black customers who came into the store, unless they were famous. “When Beyoncé came in, everyone wanted to help,” he said. The store manager, Catherine Flynn, is also included as an aggressor in this suit. Ibela claims she told him his accent made him sound like he was speaking Swahiliwhich is not the native tongue of the people of Gabon. He says the abuse was so intense, it caused him emotional distress and depression, driving him to consider killing his coworkers and himself. “Then everybody would be a loser.” To help quell these feelings, he asked to be reassigned, but says his hours were cut and pay was docked as a result. He left McQueen in January. Mahnke claims that Ibela’s allegations are untrue, and McQueen retail director Gayle Sheck could not be reached for comment. (NYP)

forever-21-marvel-comics

• Forever 21 is joining forces with Marvel Comics on a back-to-school collection, set to drop this week at Forever 21 stores. Of course, the range is emblazoned with images of Marvel comic strips, as well as their iconic characters like Thor and Iron Man. This junior’s apparel and accessories offering will be priced fro $12.80 to $22.80, and will be available in “comic shops” within Forever 21 stores. Anyone plan on checking this out? (WWD)

adriana-lima-22nd-sihh-high-jewellery-fair-geneva-switzerland

• Adriana Lima is leaving Marilyn modeling agency for Society Management, a year-old endeavor for which her agent, Chris Gay, recently left his post at Marilyn. It appears Lima is following Gay, who has been named general manager of Society, and functions as executive director of North American operations of Elite World Group. (Page Six)

Vogue's American editor-at-large Andre Leon Talley attends the Ralph Lauren Fall 2011 fashion show
• When is André Leon Talley’s talk show going to air? According to the man himself, it might never make it to broadcast at all! In an interview with V magazine, Talley is asked if his much anticipated late night gig might make him another Andy Cohen. “No, I don’t think that’s true,” he replied, “My deal is not to be the next Andy Cohen and is not even in its set stage; it’s in its incubating stage. So I have nothing to report. If it doesn’t happen, I’ll be fine too.” NOO! Shall my dreams of watching Talley’s musings on Hulu in bed on Friday night be dashed before they can even come to fruition? (V)

Zendaya Coleman's 7-Eleven 86th Birthday Party Marc by Marc Jacobs Tootsie Floral Print Shirt and Christian Louboutin Pink Dos Noeud Peep Toe Heels Christian-Louboutin-Pink-Satin-Dos-Noeud-10915701-1045

• Last month, Christian Louboutin filed a lawsuit against shoemaker Charles Jourdan for producing a shoe with a red sole. Louboutin claimed that this particular footwear item infringed upon his red sole trademark, and DSW also bears responsibility for also selling the offending footwear. Fortunately, this particular case won’t drag on like last year’s YSL-Louboutin affair. WWD reports that DSW, Jourdan, and Louboutin have all come to an agreement to settle on undisclosed terms. At least they saved on legal fees! (WWD)

beyonce-shopping-at-target

• Beyoncé: she’s just like us! Well, save for multi-platinum records, millions of dollars, and a host of stans to defend their benevolent queen at the ready. The ‘Grown Woman’ singer was spotted in the hat section of Target, browsing for deals, as any of us plebes would. Of course her bodyguard Julius wasn’t too far away. (HuffPost)

kate-moss-allure-august-2013

• Surprise, surprise: Kate Moss has snagged another magazine cover, this time posing for Allure‘s August issue. In the accompanying article, she talks about her 8-year-old daughter’s obsession with Devil Wears Prada character Miranda Priestly“She’s watched The Devil Wears Prada ten times, and she’s got a desk in her room with a phone,” she dished. “She puts a little outfit on and picks up the phone: ‘Hello, Miranda Priestly’s office.’ I say, ‘Lila, do you know who Miranda Priestly is in real life?’ But she just doesn’t care. She’s like, ‘Hello, Miranda Priestly’s office. Can you hold? Patrick Demarchelier on the line!’ I died when I heard her do it. So funny. She doesn’t have a clue who she is, but it’s word for word.” (The Cut)

~Jihan

12 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Alexander McQueen Meatpacking Shop Saleswomen Accused of Racism, André Leon Talley’s Talk Show Might Not Happen, and Beyoncé Shops at Target”

1. S says:

Racisim is everywhere….always has been, always will be. I really don’t know if it will ever be eradicated because it’s passed down from one generation to the next. What happened to the security guard is sad and makes me angry but doesn’t surprise me. We can enact all the laws and “force” citizens to abide by them, but in the end the one thing you can not change is the heart of a man. Therein will Always lie the problem.

2. tasha says:

Racism is alive and well. I am not surprised by the allegations at all. Not one bit. Can we cue Karl’s racist remarks too.

I need Andre talk show. It would give me life.

3. candace says:

I (heart ) Julius!!

4. Jamesy says:

Marvel comics are my passion! I am definitely finding my way to the nearest Forever 21!

This country, matter a fact this whole world is racist. Many white people act like they aren’t racist but deep down they can’t stand black people.

I’m shocked when people don’t admit that racism is real, especially for African Americans.

That’s why it’s funny to me when our black ppl spend thousands of dollars on these white designers and they are racist…

Remember Tommy Hilfiger… He specifically said he DONT want black ppl in his clothes and what happens? Black ppl deck their closet out in tommy. Smh!

6. FedUp says:

@Anonymous I completely agree. We as African Americans have always supported white/ European designers that turn around and spit in our faces. We put these designers on pedestals (i.e. Jay-Z’s new song Tom Ford) while they laugh all the way to the bank. Instead of a song called Tom Ford can I hear a song called Trayvon? Cuz racial “tension” is real and I for one would like to see the celebrities WE have created take a stand.

7. Jbrizzy says:

What more can I say that you guys haven’t. Racism will never go away sadly but that doesn’t mean we have to put up with it. And I don’t blame Beyonce for shopping at target. I love target with a passion. It’s V-neck heaven

8. Empress says:

Not surprised! I hope he wins that lawsuit!

What did Beyonce buy? LOL

9. Feather says:

Beyonce has so much money she’s like, “I’m sick of these 1000 dollar clothes. I’m going to target.”

10. DeeFresh says:

@Feather I am dying!! Hilarious. Yeah I’m kind of surprised to see her in Target but it’s cool she’s there. I’ve never been able to buy any McQueen but I figure I wouldn’t either after what I know about Hilfiger. Ah well.

11. Danielle says:

@fedup I was thinking about that today. An album by a bunch of different rappers should come out speaking out against the injustices the the black society faces. So many tragedies have happened to the black population of America and the awareness need to continue! Hip Hop has been the most important platform for black people in America and it use to by a political platform when it first started…if a collaboration album is put out by a bunch of rappers, it would give society an even bigger reason to get excited about the fight against all types of racism (systemic, blatant, internalized)

12. Ms.L says:

I believe every ounce of that security guard story racism is alive and well in the fashion world. I feel I lost so many internship opportunities from being black shit I should sue. OMG I believe his story I hope he wins this case.I know he’s telling the truth.