June 25th, 2013
Fashion, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

0 Daily Mail Calls Rihanna 'Poisonous Pop Princess'

• Daily Mail editor Liz Jones is the latest journo to catch a read from Badgal Riri. In an article posted to the rag site yesterday, Jones goes all the way in on Rihanna and her raunchy image. Calling the singer a “toxic role model”  for her pot smoking, and accusing her of having the “sort of fashion sense on stage that surely invites rape at worst, disrespect at least,” Jones uses dated and misogynistic notions of propriety to lambast our friend Robyn Fenty.  “I wish she’d stop infecting our High Streets with her gun tattoos, her false nails and fake hair, her bogus bad-ass shenanigans that try to portray her as ‘real’, as ‘street’, as her own person, as strong and single-minded,” she wrote. Not being one to take harsh words lying down, Rihanna clapped back, posting an unflattering snap of Jones on Instagram, with the accompanying caption:

liz-jones-daily-mail

“LOL!!!! My money got a bad habit of pissing people off!! If you sincerely wanna help little girls more than their own parents do, here’s a toxic tip: don’t be amateur with your articles, you sound bitter! What’s all this about hair and nails and costumes and tattoos?? ….That sh*t ain’t clever!!! That sh*t ain’t journalism! That’s a sad sloppy menopausal mess!!! Nobody over here acts like they’re perfect! I don’t pretend that I’m like you, I just live… My life!! And I don’t know why y’all still act so surprised by any of it!! “Role Model” is not a position or title that I have ever campaigned for, so chill wit dat! I got my own f*cked up shit to work on, I’ll never portray that as perfect, but for right now it’s ME!! Call it what ya want!! Toxic was cute, Poisonous Pop Princess had a nice ring to it, just a lil wordy! And P.S. my first American Vogue cover was in 2011…APRIL!!! #ElizabethAnnJones.” Well, alright! On the one hand, I understand where Jones’s concern trolling is coming from, but Rihanna is a grown 25-year-old woman! If she wants to smoke weed and show her underboob, that’s her perogative! What do you think? (Daily Mail, @Badgalriri)

stuart-vevers• After much speculation, Coach has finally chosen a new creative director– and it’s not Marc Jacobs or Mulberry‘s recently-resigned Emma Hill. Instead, the label has tapped Stuart Ververs, former creative director at Loewe, to replace Reed Krakoff, whose contract with Coach is up next June. Vevers’s official start date has yet to be determined, so, we’ll keep you posted! (WWD)

cara-delevingne-mulberry-fall-2013-ads

Cara Delevingne is a friend to the owls in Mulberry’s Fall 2013 campaign. (Grazia)

versace-fall-2013-kate-moss-campaign

• A brunette Kate Moss is supplied with nothing but a few expensive handbags to cover her naked body for Versace‘s Fall 2013 campaign, lensed by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott. A clothed Saskia de Brauw also stars in the ads, while Travis Smith, Matt Trethe, and Dominik Bauer hold it down for the fellas. (WWD)

scarlett-johansson-vanity-fair-france

• The new French Vanity Fair‘s first issue is set to bow tomorrow, and Scarlett Johansson‘s been tapped to cover the inaugural issue. So, why is an American covering the debut issue of a French magazine? Let Vanity Fair France editorial director Michel Denisot explain: “She has every quality imaginable — the elegance, beauty, wit and impertinence that would make her a perfectly decent Parisian if she decides to move permanently into the apartment she has bought in Paris not far from here.”  (WWD)

~Jihan

36 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Daily Mail Calls Rihanna A ‘Poisonous Pop Princess’, Stuart Vevers Named Executive Creative Director at Coach, and Kate Moss, Saskia de Brauw, and More Star in Versace’s Fall 2013 Campaign”

1. jrdesignerlover says:

Celebrities aren’t role models, or at least they shouldn’t be.

2. DeeFresh says:

Yeah RiRi is right: she never claimed to be anybody’s role model. I think we need to look to our community leaders instead of pop stars to be the guides for our kids, no matter how prevalent they are in the media. I’m not as big a fan of hers as I used to be, but I catch the same flack when I post on my Facebook about partying just because my old students are now old enough to have a Facebook. My page is WAY tamer than the pages of kids I mentored ( they smoke, drink, twerk team madness) but because I’m 26 I’m required to remove all photos of decent partying ( i.e. no boobs out, no bottles in hand, not leaned all over some man)?? #missme

Yay for the new CD for Coach. Hope it works out.

Love the ” perfectly decent” phrase for S.J.

3. LawyerLady says:

That pic of the author speaks a thousand words. I don’t blame Riri for her rant but that pic and the hashtag #nuffSaid would have killed too.

4. Sharri says:

Hypocrisy is the worse of human traits; Liz makes more money than her writing skills warrant from the trash rag that is the Daily Mail. If you wallow in filth your own damn self, then calling out others makes you a ass.

5. RHONYC says:

“That’s a sad sloppy menopausal mess!!!”

*chuckling HARRRD under breath*

chick had that coming to her. tee-hee.

i don’t vibe on errrythang that Ri does & don’t have to. i just see her as she is. a global successful popstar in her mid 20s with the scratch to do what the heck she wants.

she sells out the albums. she sells out the tours.
    her reward: she knows how to recline and get R&R ‘island style’.

& as i recall…if some E-V-E-R had the audacity to clap at me…doing ‘ME’ at that age, all fire & brimestone would come reigning down FO-REA-YAL!

your 20s are for doing what eva. that’s it. and anyone who ISN’T her parents or elder relatives should stay shut.

also. i’d like to say, i find it EXTREEEEEEMELY SEXIST how people have so much crap to say about her ‘WHATEVAZ’ and nothing to say to the MALE population of the music industry doing way, WAY worst.

tsk-tsk. :-(

6. Enigma says:

Liz got some kinda nerve talking about RiRi not being a role model. When she clearly states to all of her readers that if you dress a certain way you are “asking to be rape”! What kind of message is that. She shouldn’t call herself an editor. #nuffsaid

7. Choco aka Hippie says:

Rihanna gets uglier by the day, not only does her attitude stink but that bell pepper nose of hers – that ratchett expression and the played out hairstyle is why this child acts ugly because she is ugly inside… LOW CLASS BEACH BUM is what she amounts too…

KATE MOSS – GOT DAMMIT!

8. Lex says:

Why are celebs expected to be perfect ppl? Rihanna is a 25 y/o enjoying her life. Why is she constantly bashed for living?? I’m pretty sure when this old hag was 25 she made some silly choices too.

9. JOSOfresh says:

When you are a public figure and you display your actions publicly you have a responsibility to the public whether you like it or not, it comes with the territory. Rihanna would have a valid point if she didn’t post all of her shenanigans on a public forum for the world to see but she is being hypocritical. There was a time when stars were groomed to have a certain sense of class and mystery about them. We didn’t know their every move or they didn’t have a platform post their every issue. Bottom line is that she does have a certain responsibility to her fans, they all do because what they do has an affect on our society and culture. If those same people stop buying your music and supporting the lifestyle she lives I’m sure her tune would change quickly. At some point you have to take responsibility for your actions, we all do. Its part of being a human being and coexisting in society.

10. But wait….Daily Mail couldn’t find anything else to write about? I don’t care for that trashy publication anyway nor do I expect them to ever write anything of substance.

11. Kat says:

People will always have something to say, but why keep giving them the ammo? People don’t post to twitter and instagram to be ignored- you have all those people following your every move, maybe learn to take the good with the bad. All the feedback won’t be positive- ask the FBD Bombshells.

12. o plx says:

Gossip has been around for years..I dont think riri is doing anything different than any celebrities did before her especially at the age..this world we live in is full of ppl that act as if they never were young…let her be young and have fun..shes not killing anyone..stop blaming her for your childern behavior.im just tired,of ppl acting perfect in this society

13. mirage says:

Rihanna may never have claimed to be a role model but let’s face it, she is very few young girls and young women are aspiring to be the next Angela Merkel or Sonia Ghandi. She has the right to do what she wants but she chose to do it in a public arena and she is being judged and found wanting. Act a fool in the privacy of your own home but when you have 13 year olds thinking the “pour it up” lifestyle is hot I’m disturbed. Rihanna needs to grow up, people only noticed the article because she went there with the letter. For a person who wants people to not talk about her she sure loves attracting attention with her little rants. If she doesn’t like the GTFOH plenty of celebs keep their private lives and private parts exactly that private. It is kind of like saying, stop it, I like it.

14. o plx says:

One more thing when your in a public eye there is no privacy…I dont think she,has to grow up.anytime soon..live life ..its too short to grow before your time..and if you let your child ern listen to her that’s on you…your parents should be your role model…i do like riri but that’s her life..

15. @paparazzi_promo says:

Rihanna has the right to do what she wants .. she is human she’s not perfect & never protrayed to be thats what I love about her she doesnt put on a front acting like her iish don’t stink

Go RIRI!! All those haters need to fall back! Raise your own kids and stop waiting for celebrities and pop stars to do it for you. Be a role model for them that way Rihanna and other celebs are just what they are supposed to be: entertainers! Sit back and let TV/internet raise your damn kids and see who is to blame and who has to deal with the consequences. Hypocrite’s.
    That “journalist” is out of line calling her out on “false nails, fake hair and rape-inciting costumes”. Anyone that rapes can blame themselves for their own psychotic socially unacceptable behaviour and I don’t give a f*** if a girl is walking naked on the street! Nothing can make a girl deserved to be rape. This is straight indirect racism.
    Dun chat.

17. lola says:

but but but I thought Rihanna was suppose to be the carefree girl who didn’t give a f*ck about anything anyone says? Isn’t that how she is marketed? Isn’t that why her “so-called” fans claim she is better than “boring” Beyonce and “contrived” lady gaga? Yet she is the one who spends every second on the internet, reading anything and everything with her name on it, “dragging” people on instagram, twitter and feuding with journalists and bloggers lmao carefree right? lmao I can’t with y’all. Human beings are so pathetically gullible, it hurts.

18. guest says:

@ lola AMENNNN!

19. I don’t blame Rihanna for clap back @ that Lady & that pic is Funny LmFao

20. josofresh says:

Preach @lola..absolutely right!

21. guest says:

Well the reporter did have some points. I also loved Ms. Fenty’s articulate and mature response as a 25 year old woman, so eloquent and dignified. Totally proved her wrong ;-) Yes Rihanna is “doing her ” as people say, it’s sad to have so many people just praise her no matter what. Young people don’t even show their own parents that kind of loyalty. As for her behavior. I just hope they don’t praise her into an early grave.

22. O says:

That’s funny you would be commenting is that you swear by beyonce …and your calling ppl gullible ..I agree with anonymous …she doesn’t give a damn does she take your advice or anyone for that matter..no ..so yea ..she just simply put her in her place…nd why are you agree with someone who said if your giving the wrong attention you deserve to be rape…wow …some of these commenters are funny…

23. pleease says:

@lola you couldn’t be more right! Please believe, Rihanna is anything but care free. If anything she cares to much what people think, looks could be deceiving! Money, fame, beauty and her a## still ain’t satisfied

24. who goes there? says:

Damn, Rihanna must be paying a lot of people’s rent. I don’t see this kind of passion for things that actually effect their day to day lives. I agree if Rihanna wants to be a hedonistic animal spending her money let her. Dignity and class are 2 things Rihanna doesn’t have to possess and probably never will.

25. Kilode? says:

@mirage…i actually read jones’ article before rihanna responded :P

@lola…. preach.

@post… well, you have teenagers and young kids nowadays who look up to their favorite popstars and adopti their attitude or image. So in a way, yes, celeb image can affect young ppl’s sense of identity. It’s all socio-psychology folks. And don’t nobody give me that bull about parents are responsible – it’s not just them, friends also are, so is the media.

Am i on rih or liz’s side? None. Rih needs to realize the above point and accept it (doesn’t mean she needs to change) and Liz needs to criticize objectively. But then again – it’s DailyMail.

26. Essjaye says:

Thought I was done, but here’s a lil more…At the end of the day if you instill morals, good values, and sense in your OWN KIDS they wouldn’t feel the need to look up to, emulate/copy anyone! Be it a celebrity or their friends. It starts from the home…If your kid is looking up to Rihanna and wants to copy everything she does maybe you as the parent need to be more of a role model so they look up and wanna be more like you instead. #jussayin

27. Fuchsia says:

lola you’re a f*ckin idiot go find a Beyonce post….

These are the same tired whores and swingers who were strung out on pcp and heroin back in the day, having group sex and giving wind jobs to random men, HYPOCRITES. Oh how I wish some of you would talk to Rihanna like that to her face.

28. Shomoukh says:

I don’t want to sound judgmental and I know it’s all about marketing and making money However, it’s clear that she is profiting from all this BS, the gun tatt and the S&M song after being a victim of violence. She is clearly happy with that image she is putting on. I agree she is free to act however she pleases, but when it comes to promoting such images that have serious consequences, I believe it is important for us to at least voice our concern to this kind of behaviour.

29. Jessica says:

@lola my thoughts exactly. I wouldn’t have spent my time on this Liz lady.

30. Cookie says:

Problem is kids dont look up to their parents anymore. I have never, I mean never looked at a celebrity as a role model. My parents, teachers, and stranger who showed be kindness were my role model. I’m scared for the future! These kids do not have an original thought in their minds!

31. LamLam says:

This is my two cents on this Rihanna situation.

The journalist was wrong for approaching this issue the way she did but that does not discount the fact that she raised some valid points albeit tack, distastefully and disrespectfully.

Rihanna IS a role model whether she likes it, wants it, claims it or not.

A child is moulded by its parents, its experiences AND its society. When you’re in the public eye, you are given the rare opportunity to influence the views, lifestyles and opinions of society and this is not restricted to just impressionable teens and tweens.

Fame comes with a price. That price is that you are held up on a pedestal and you actions are being examined, copied or critiqued by millions. You chose that life and unfortunately you do not make the rules.

That’s a luxury that you, Rihanna are not afforded.

If she’s bold enough to put up photos smoking weed, nude etc on instagram, people will talk about it and not all that talk is something she’ll want to hear.

I expect that Rihanna will ignore these comments because she’s indirectly asked for them. That’s life.

And if you don’t want to be talked about as a bad influence maybe you should consider keeping your private life private. Are all those weed pictures necessary?

She’s 25, waaaaay past her teenage years. When will she start acting like a mature and responsible adult? She’s beautiful, very successful and caring (from what I’ve read) but extremely immature.

Kim Kardashian recorded a sex tape that eventually went public years ago and she STILL gets a lot of negative comments because of that ESPECIALLY by a lot of people defending Rihanna. Bad is bad. Let’s not have double standards about it.

Don’t show people who you are and then get mad when then call you out on it.

*phew*

32. ANON00 says:

Thank u!! @lola she must comment on EVERYTHING ANYONE says!! LIKE GTFOH! You’re entitled to go on IG & like pics of Ciara everyday, though ? But when she says ANYTHING about you “why she always talking about mehhh?” basic bird shit. SMH & she’s a liar bc she said in 2009 after the DV that she wanted to be a role model. Guess when you get more money, values change, huh? #byeRihanna

33. V says:

I agree with @JOSOfresh… very well said. Yes if you have the balls to post everything on instagram, you should have the balls to take responsibility of being some type of impact and influence among your fans. But that bitch already know she got some influence to her fans. Read her instagram hashtags…like “#howdoesitfeeltobeonyourknees ” under the photo for UK’s most influential artist…ya that bitch know she is a bad gal. Whatever tho only God going to judge her anyway

34. Monica says:

“the sort of fashion sense on stage that surely invites rape at worst, disrespect at least”

What a horrible, horrible comment that no woman is deserving of. Perpetuating the falsity that rape is the victim’s fault and that she “invited” the crime. I can’t believe women make these kinds of comments about other women.

I do think Rihanna’s response was pretty immature, though. Why even respond?

35. Jei says:

@Lola Agreed!

Is this Beyonce bottom feeder lola really calling people gullible? I can’t with this me myself and irene lunatic.