May 8th, 2013
Blacks in Fashion, You Should Know
9 Black Celebrity Stylists You Should Know

As all the Met Gala excitement dies down, I thought it high time to highlight those stylists of color who work hard behind-the-scenes to help our favorite stars shine.
Nine-Celebrity-Stylists-You-Should-Know
From curating the looks of R&B divas to tailoring tuxes for basketball players, the following 9 style architects cultivate creative ensembles and truly set trends.
In no particular order:
1. Ty Hunter
Beyonce ty hunter instagram
Though some mainstream organizations reduced his role to Beyonce’s ‘train’ manager, anyone in-the-know knows that Ty Hunter is much more than that. The Austin, Texas native has been styling Beyonce since the days of Destiny’s Child and has also lent a hand to engineering ensembles for Michelle Williams, Kelly Rowland, and Solange.
beyonce with stylist ty hunter
solange knowles ty hunter
tina-knowles-ty-hunter-stylist-the-jasmine-brand
With 15 years in the industry, Hunter has plucked pieces for everything from concerts to music videos to personal appearances.
HBO Documentary Film "Beyonce: Life Is But A Dream" New York Premiere - Red Carpet
ty hunter beyonce stylist concert mrs carter 5 black celeb stylists you should know fashion bomb daily

Want to see more? Beyonce dedicated a whole section of her BeyHive blog to street style snaps and inspiration seen through Ty’s eyes. Check his blog here, or follow his fashionable exploits, inspirational quotes, and throwback pix on Instagram @TyTryOne.
beyonce ty hunter stylist you should know
2. June Ambrose
June Ambrose New York Fashion Week
June’s electric personality and infectious style has made her one of the better known stylists on this list. The Bronx native got her start interning at record labels, and later styled nascent groups and artists like Hi-Five, The Backstreet Boys, and R. Kelly. She truly hit her stride when she was tapped to work on several epic and fashionably inventive hip-hop videos, including Missy Elliot’s The Rain, Jay-Z’s Big Pimpin, and Diddy’s Mo Money, Mo Problems.
Sean+Combs+June+Ambrose+Sean+Diddy+Combs+Hosts+gJjHa-_DRH9x
Always on the cusp of evolving trends, June starred in her own VH1 show, Styled by June, and launched a shoe line with HSN.
june-ambrose-shoes-hsn-theme
Ever occupied, the Rockmom can be seen one day shuttling her kids to camp, the next placing rap mogul Jay-Z in a series of well tailored Tom Ford tuxes.
June-Ambrose-Jay-Z-Styled-b
If you don’t follow June on social media, you’re missing out! Enter the Juniverse via her website, TheJuniverse.com, and on Twitter and Instagram @JuneAmbrose.
3. Jason Bolden
jason bolden stylist lala anthony
Though his client list is long (he’s styled Amber Riley, Taraji P. Henson, and Gabrielle Union, among others), 30-year-old Jason Bolden is best known for his work with Lala Anthony. Under his direction, we’ve seen the reality starlet stunt in everything from Balmain bodycons to Balenciaga knits to Kenzo separates and Stella McCartney fringed frocks.
jason bolden lala anthony black stylist celebrity you should know fashion bomb daily
Lala and Jason’s style outlooks are so in sync, they collaborated on a clothing line together called 5th and Mercer. Their debut jumpsuit sold swiftly, and he told Loop21.com that we can expect 21 more items from the collection in the upcoming months.
jason bolden stylist gabrielle union celebrity style you should know
The graduate of Northwestern University explained his services to Loop21.com: “People pay for my point of view. Some people gravitate to a particular point of view. I have a very eclectic, well-traveled point of view. That’s the only way I can really put it into words. They trust [that point of view] because it’s guaranteed to make them happy.” Follow him on Twitter @Jason_Bolden.

4. Olori Swank
olori swank stylist keyshia cole celebrity style you should know
If you watch Fashion Bomb TV, or just paid careful attention to Keyshia Cole’s red carpet exploits, you’d know all about Olori Swank.
keyshia-cole-jimmy-kimmel-live-alexander-wang-suspension-fitted-tank-dress-gucci-victoire-sandals-1
The Atlanta native is known for her blue hair, and also her hand in outfitting the R&B diva in cult brands like Mary Katrantzou, Alexander Wang, and Versace.
olori swank celebrity stylist keyshia cole you should know fashion bomb daily
In addition to Keyshia, Olori has styled Tyrese, Teyana Taylor, and Lance Gross, and editorials featuring Karrueche Tran and Angela Simmons.
olori swank lance gross celebrity stylist you should know fashion bomb daily
olori swank celebrity stylist you should know fashion bomb daily

She advises aspiring stylists, ” Always do you research. Know who you’re working with and know what trends have come and gone to predict what’s coming next.” She adds, ” Don’t give up. If it were easy everyone would do it.” See more of her day-to-day by following her @OloriSwank.

5. Rachel Johnson
Rachel Johnson Amare stoudemire celebrity stylist you should know fashion bomb daily
Want to know who athletes call to streamline their looks? Look no further than Rachel Johnson.
rachel johnson lebron james celebrity stylist you should know fashion bomb daily
The Englewood, New Jersey native has worked with Serena Williams, Lebron James, Amare Stoudemire, Victor Cruz, and more, and even takes her services a step further by styling their wives and girlfriends.
rachel johnson celebrity stylist to the stars you should know fashion bomb daily
With 13 years in the industry, she offers this pointed advice, “Live stylishly in your skin. Never let size impede your style.” Amen. Learn more about her company, Thomas Faison, at ThomasFaison.com.

6. Eric Archibald
Jennifer Hudson's dress is adjusted to show off her shoes at the 2013 Vanity Fair Oscars Party in West Hollywood
Jennifer Hudson’s style has done a 180, thanks, no doubt to her stylist Eric Archibald. Roberto Cavalli frocks, Atelier Versace gowns, colorblocked performance looks…Jennifer has worn it all and worn it well, thanks largely to Archibald’s chic oversight.
eric archibald jennifer hudson stylist you should know celebrity fashion bomb daily
His styling prowess has been seen on many industry bold faced names, including Amerie, Mariah Carey, Usher, R.Kelly, Faith and Britney Spears.
jennifer hudson eric archibald
Since entering the industry in 1994, Archibald says on his website that he, “has drawn on his inspirations to create his signature aesthetic that conveys a classically chic and sexy look with an edge.” Follow him @EricArchibald.

7. Jason Rembert
jason rembert rita ora stylist celebrity style you should know fashion bomb daily
Queens, New York native Jason Rembert has styled Usher, Keri Hilson, Nicki Minaj, Emeli Sandé, Iggy Azalea, and Wale in his short career, but is most likely known for his work with RocNation artist Rita Ora.
jason rembert rita ora stylist 10 celebrity stylists you should kow
He entered industry via an internship at Elle Magazine, but got his feet wet with celebrities on BET’s Rip the Runway, where he began working with Def Jam group Electrik Red. An internship with stylist Wouri Vice truly opened his eyes to the world of star styling, and he’s been hooked ever since.
jason rembert rita ora celebrity stylist 10 stylists you need to know fashion bomb daily
His advice to up and comers? “Stay humble. Intern, intern, intern. Learn any and everything you can. Value your relationships. Your reputation is key.” Follow him on Instagram @JasonRembert.

8. Ugo Mozie
ugo mozie chris brown 10 black celebrity stylists you should know fashion bomb daily
Holding down the West Coast is Ugo Mozie, best known for outfitting Chris Brown in dapper duds.
ugo mozie chris brown celebrity stylist you should know fashion bomb daily
The Nigerian trendsetter continues to push the boundaries of men’s fashion, whether putting Mr. Brown in long Givenchy shirts or Angelo Galasso leopard printed blazers.
Chris-Brown-Givenchy-cotton-poplin-sleeveless-long-shirt-from-the-Spring-Summer-2013-Collection-2
Chris-Brown-wearing-Thom-Browne-Eyewear-Angelo-Galasso-Suit-and-Alberta-Ferretti-Loafers-at-21st-Annual-Elton-John-AIDS-Foundation-Academy-Awards-Viewing-Party-9
Aside from Brown, Mozie’s chic finesse has been seen on Kelis, Diddy, Melanie Fiona, Dawn Richard, and Omarion and in the pages of Nylon, Paper, Tatler, Harpers Bazaar, Vibe, and WAD.
Ugo mozie chris brown fashion stylist to the stars fashion bomb daily
His adventurous approach to style has resulted in a clothing line, Aston Mozie, which he creative directs alongside friend Quinn Aston.
ugo mozie chris brown aston mozie black stylists you should know
Read more about him at UgoMozie.com or follow him on Twitter @UgoMozie.
9. Diandre Tristan
diandre tristan tamar braxton 10 celebrity stylists you should know fashion bomb daily

Ever marveled at Tamar Braxton’s fun maternity looks? Or wished you had one of Robin Roberts’s sleek shifts? Washington D.C. native Diandre Tristan is the brain behind their killer ensembles.
diandre tristan robin roberts stylist

In the biz since 2008, Tristan crafts punchy looks for Robin’s Good Morning America hosting duties, and makes sure Tamar keeps it cute on her myriad media stops.
diandre tristan robin roberts stylist celebrity fashion bomb daily
As he says on his website, “Good fashion inspires confidence, and confidence is everything.” Agreed. Read more about him at DiandreTristan.com.

This list is far from complete. Just a few names you should know in the biz.
Did we forget anyone?
Images via Instagram

81 Responses to “9 Black Celebrity Stylists You Should Know”

1. nonebetter says:

Shun Melson–love her work! Most recently she’s responsible for the upgrade in Fantasia!

2. shirlzrene says:

Take that popsugar!

3. Jihan says:

Still can’t believe they pubbed that “personal train manager” post SMH.

this is great, Claire. TEACH THESE KIDS THEIR FASHIONS.

4. Audrey says:

Wouldyou say the industry is male or female dominated?? Seems to be queer male dominated.

5. Caribbelle says:

I’m so glad that you did this list. I was waiting for something like this for a while. It’s great to know the people behind the scenes, and their personal stories.

6. JrDesignerLover says:

Love this piece. I never thought athletes would hire a stylist to pick out jeans and a top…must be nice.

7. Solange says:

I’ve been following Ugo Mozie for as long as I can remember! I worship his style approach and his work ethic! His creativity is fresh, explosive, dope, challenging, and he is such a risk taker.

8. Honeybrown says:

I love love love this Claire !!!! So inspirational, so positive and so uplifting for those of us who dare to enter the fashion industry. Also those who love to see people become successful and live their dreams. From June Ambrose to Ugo Mozie !!! I live for stories such as these. Keep them coming and more fashion bomb tv !!!

9. Miss. Boston says:

No to Jen Hud’s stylist and Rita ora’s.Everyone eelse looks nice.

10. Lyn says:

Beyonce’s style has finally evolved, she’s been wearing some amazing looks and pieces lately – because prior to 2012, she always looked … mediocre. There are some amazing people on this list, most notably: Rachel Johnson, Diandre Tristan, Jason Rembert and Ugo Mozie. They don’t play it safe, they know what they’re doing and are truly inspirations. Soon, you all will see my name on this list.

Thanks for publishing this and showing me that it is possible to be black and be successful, hopefully with my ventures I can style black, white, latina, middle eastern, etc. This truly motivated me to continue my dreams!

11. Anon says:

Does June Ambrose style anybody other than Jay Z in the last 10 years? Hi-Five and Missy Elliot’s The Rain video, really?

12. Ree says:

How can you forget Shun Melson!!?

13. Natasha says:

Respect. Even though I don’t favour some of the celebs, all the stylists have an interesting background and client range.

14. Michelle says:

Great post! Please do more like this…

15. Marsha says:

Mariel Haenn!

16. LawyerLady says:

EXCELLENT work FBD!!!! Love this! I’m def going to look into the work of some of the stylists. I never believed that J. Hud had a stylist. I mean seriously who knew? Ooohh I’m so shady today!

17. Emma says:

Kim K should work with Driandre Tristan, this is how you style a pregnant woman.
    And sorry but Jason Rembert does a bad job with Rita Horror. She looks terrible 95 % of the time, which makes her even less likable.
    June is overrated, same as Beyonce’s Ty (Beyonce’s style is just ok) .

i saw Diandre on yes to the dress… It breaks my heart you didn’t add Stephanie Offodile .. Solange’ Stylist that is my girl crush.

19. Carissa says:

MISSING…..Shun Melson!!!!!

20. tasha says:

This is a great list. I am glad you wrote it. People need to know their are powerful stylist of color out there making moves. Plus been in the industry for a long time.

Who is Rihanna’s stylist?

I heart Diandre Tristan, for someone so young and new to the business he is really doing his thing. I’ve been following Olori since she was Bombshell of the Year. Sad that she couldn’t do more with Keyshia.

22. Great Post! Would more like these, like a Bombshell/Bomber Stylist category : )

23. Marsha D says:

Ok I’m just gonna say it……most of the celebs (mostly the women) shown do not, and I mean do not have a great style sense. However I DO love the fact that you showcased the stylists and their talents. They seem to dress the men better than they have the women….just sayin’

24. Est87 says:

Such a great post! I’m not ‘fashion savy,’ so I would have never known the faces & names (except June) behind those celebrities!

25. Lorretta says:

Monica Rose! She styles the Kardashians and Guilina Rancic. Those are four completely different body types and she makes them all look great (I’m convinced that she isn’t styling Kim through this pregnancy because she usually puts on her instagram when she styles someone and she hasn’t done Kim for ages!)

26. Fashion Cafe says:

I think Shun Melson is hit or miss as with most stylists. She’s more of a miss than a hit with most of her clients. I hate her styling options at times. She styles her clients too matchy matchy.

27. Porsche says:

There is someone else contributed to the style monstrosity that is Rita Ora?

The world just ended.

28. 2cents says:

For all those screaming for Shun Melson: a few stints styling Kim Zolciak and Fantasia Work in Progress Barrino does not an outstanding stylist make.
    And for you dingbats yapping about Mariel and Monica… I think this list is for black stylists. Last time I checked they were not.
    Rihanna is styled by Adam Selman, a white guy.

29. jeda says:

Great post! What i wanna know is who is styling JLo and Solange cus those two slay each time.
    Blessings

30. Deb says:

Don’t hate on Shun Melson. She does great work. Styling is also about staying true to who the client is and they’re lifestyle. Fantasia has a look that works for her. And Monica does too. Shun deserves praise too.

31. AzizMom says:

I also spotted Diandre styling NeNe Leakes. He played it low key on say Yes to the Dress because it was his cousin or something. Good post.

32. Fashion Stylists says:

Don’t mistake opinion for hate. Shun Melson is an ok stylist. Again, most of her clients are matchy matchy. As of late she has put Fantasia in a on or two nice outfits but for the most part she hasnt done anything ground breaking for Fantasia. The blue short suit for GMA was a horrible choice by Shun Melson. It dated Fantasia and I thought she deserved something a bit more tailored and put together. I could go on and on about some of her fashion choices as a stylist but no need. Style is very subjective and relative so everybody will have a different opinion. Thats to be expected and respected.

33. Hater says:

Yup where is Rihannas stylist – I mean the girl’s got a mean style going on influencing pop culture, loving it or not…. Some of these folk are mediocre and live of the hype or the star they style… There’s more influencial styles out there than LaLa, JHud, KCole – sorry just my opinion!

34. Browness says:

incredible how many ppl are misinformed

35. andrea says:

Rita Ora’s stylist needs to be fired.

36. Jei says:

Great post Claire!

Nice, the next list should have New York based by way of the caribbean isand of St.Kitts stylist Keino Benjamin on it.

38. B says:

Amazing post! Of course there are certain stylists everyone knows (or not) but its great that you went beyond those two or three. Like you said this list only names a few and I hope that you’ll highlight more in the future

39. Sasha says:

2 Nigerian stylists on the list, olori and ugo….#ProudNigerian

40. Claire says:

@Hater this list is of black stylists i.e. people of African descent.
    Rihanna is styled by Nini Nguyen and Adam Selman, neither of whom are black. Someone else asked for J. Lo’s stylist…it’s Mariel Haenn, again, someone who isn’t black.
    We could do a post showcasing all the fabulous stylists in the world…but the Hollywood Reporter always does that ( and unfortunately overlooks the great, meaningful work of many brown people).
    Which is why I created this list.
    Looks like I’ll have to publish a new one every year, to update with even more names.
    At any rate, glad you enjoy!

41. DannielleS says:

I’m not a June Ambrose fan because I feel she is overrated. Rita’s stylist needs glasses.

Everyone else is cool.

I know she isn’t black, but an interview with Monica Rose would be very cool

42. Netra says:

I only came to say thank you @2cents ! The rest of ya’ll go have several seats… \_

43. iheartkeya says:

I love June but I prefer the way she dresses herself more than the way she styles others. Ugo’s been stepping Chris’ game up so he’s good with me. Love Olori’s swag. And I don’t agree with Rita’s stylist most of the time. lol

44. Christine says:

Thanks for the diverse post Claire. I enjoy when you introduce us to something behind the scenes of fashion.

45. T says:

Why is Nini Nguyen not on here?? Does she not style Rihanna?? I mean Ty really?? U really think Beyonce’s look is great?? If u said he styled Solange then I would be like ok….Diandre, Ugo, Olori-yess I get that…Rita Ora’s stylist smh…I guess it could have been worse-Kim’s stylist (Kanye)

46. Deb says:

Nini does work with Rihanna. And so do others. She’s a wonderful stylist and an incredible person.

This is a great post. Looking forward to the top 15 list next time!

47. southern says:

meh

48. Brandon says:

Great Post Claire! I truly enjoy this site :)

49. Taurie Small says:

I love, love, love ,love, love this post…my gosh! But you left off one of the best in the biz….SHUN MELSON. The lady behind Fantasia’s fantabulous transformation!

Ugo!