April 25th, 2013
Beyonce, Fashion News
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

beyonce mrs carter h&m video
Beyoncé continues her media takeover with the release of the commercial for the H&M summer campaign. Keeping in the theme of royalty, the singer channels her inner Tahitian island queen as she rolls around in the sand, flicking water droplets to and fro from her expertly installed yaki.

In the music video commercial, Mrs. Carter does a rain dance of sorts to a new song, ‘Standing on the Sun,’ which will be sure to appease the stans who have been aching for new music from the diva. What do you think of the commercial? (Vogue UK)

Solange Knowles Rachel Roy Met Gala 2012

• For those of us whose Met Gala invitations got lost in the mail, tune into all the red carpet antics on May 6th during the event’s livestream, hosted by Vogue editor William Norwich and model Hillary Rhoda. You can catch the action at metmuseum.org/metgala, Vogue.com, Samsung.com/galaxys4/punk and Modaoperandi.com. (WWD)

john_galliano

• Of course, there’s a Change.org petition looking to keep John Galliano from teaching his master class at Parsons School of Design. The petition, seemingly penned by current Parsons students, reads: “It doesn’t matter if its for three months or three days, hiring someone who has made such horrific comments shows that the school values Galliano over their entire Jewish student body. It shows they value him over their students’ respect, peace of mind, and heritage. It is disgraceful to hire someone who has made such inhumane comments.” The petition has been signed by several Parsons alums and students, all outraged that the disgraced (or recovering, however you wish to see it) designer will be on the school’s payroll. While their anger is understandable, I wonder if maybe it’s worth it to give a recovering alcoholic a chance. What do you think? Will you be signing this petition? (TFS)

kylie-bisutti

• Former Victoria’s Secret model Kylie Bisutti talks about the moment she decided to leave her coveted title as a Victoria’s Secret Angel behind. It all started during a shoot for FHM magazine, where she was instructed to pose provocatively, and was told “this is what Victoria’s Secret models do”. True (and obvious) as the statement is, Bisutti came to a realization that her job was to “tittilate men,” which made her feel like a “piece of meat….I realised that I didn’t want to model anything that sold sex,” she told the New York Post. The fallen angel has since returned to Montana to be with her husband, to work on a “modest” Christian clothing line and her soon-to-be released book I’m No Angel: From Victoria’s Secret Model to Role Model (because VS models can’t be role models, naturally). “It spreads my message, which is that beauty isn’t about what you look like, it’s about what’s in your heart. That’s the most important thing.” While I applaud her for standing up for her beliefs, is it really necessary to paint the other VS models as immoral for their decision to pose in lingerie? What do you think?  (Vogue UK)

bangladesh-building-collapse

• A Bangladesh garment factory collapsed yesterday, killing at least 194 people and injuring several others. This news comes five months after a fire at another nearby factory killed 112 people. Located in the now-destroyed building were several different factories, many of which served retailers familiar to us in the States, like Mango, WalMart, and Joe Fresh. So far, authorities have been able to rescue 12 of the 40 survivors they were able to identify. Building inspectors found cracks in the foundation of the eight-story building on Tuesday, and while other businesses in the building were evacuated, the garment factories continued on their regular schedule. There has been a huge movement to reform Bangladesh safety codes, and this tragedy only provides another reason why changes need to swiftly been made. We will keep you updated as this story develops, and as people are pulled from the rubble. (WWD, ABC News)

~Jihan

28 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: Beyoncé’s H&M Summer Campaign Commercial, A Petition to Keep John Galliano from Parsons Teaching Gig Emerges, and at Least 194 Dead in Bangladesh Garment Factory Building Collapse”

1. Not feeling the song Beyonce looks beautiful with dark hair I love it!

2. thanks for covering the story on the factory fire. people need to be more aware of why their fast fashion comes at such a low price. h&m has been a part of this too in Cambodia.

3. jrDesignerLover says:

Has Kylie Bisutti been living under a rock…of course you are selling sex if you are a VS model, nothing new.
    As for John Galliano, I am on the fence. I wouldn’t want a professor that thought it was ok to be racist, or spread racist propaganda. On the other hand everyone deserves a second chance, I doubt he feels any differently, but now he just won’t say it aloud.

4. Blue Ivy Carter says:

I QUESTION MY SEXUALITY EVERYTIME I SEE AN IMAGE BEYONCE!!!

5. Cewtie says:

Beyonce: One of my inspirations to get tight for the summer! Jihan, must you be so satirical ALL the time. Couldn’t you have referred to the ‘yaki’ as hair. I’m sure you have just as many Fashion Bombshells that wear ‘yaki’ as those that are au naturale. Oh the shade, the shade, hunny.

Met Gala: Can’t wait to see what Kim K wears… o_O I truly wish her the best in her Met Gala fashion endeavor.

John Galliano: I’ll sign the petition.

Kylie: Hey, nothing’s wrong with giving your life to God and living a life aligns with your Christian values. I also think it’s fair for her to not realize that she was SELLING SEX because, let’s face it…It’s the norm… we see it everywhere. Now, taking photos in lingerie just doesn’t fit into her new beliefs.

Bangladesh: We need more MADE IN THE USA products, including clothing…

6. Westafricanmutt says:

Bey looks a lot like Solange with dark hair–love the new look.
    Solange looks absolutely flawless in that dress. She commits no fashion sins

7. Jei says:

The song didn’t excite me but ok Bey, I see you. Commercial no, music video all the way lol

Music video indeed.

9. kat says:

I don’t really see how she is painting other VS models as anything, she is speaking of her own experience.

There is an extra layer of depth that is always missing from Beyonce lyrics. The beat is nice though. Reminds me of Baby Boy.

10. S says:

Love the commercial and I especially like Bey with the dark hair. I wish she would do that more often. Too many other singers are channeling her wig styles (the blonde color with dark roots, etc).

11. T1K says:

Not really liking the song, or should I say the lyrics? I’m excited to see her collaboration pieces. And as somebody mentioned before the Ex VS model can only speak for herself, she better than another person sould now not to judge anyone.

12. Choco aka Hippie says:

Beyawnce is so BORING!!!!!!! Gosh I’m 42 and I’ve seen stunts like this since the 80′s and so has she which is why she needs a new creative director on her team!

Prayer for the families in Bagladesh and I hope they make it safer worker conditions this is ridiculous!

Rachel Roy has been looking hagardly dull recently

13. Elle says:

Yawn! Didn’t she already do those dance moves in “Baby Boy” (and every other song since then)? #Boring #Overrated

14. welp, I for one was not surprised about my parsons peers pulling up a petition against a prof. because honestly calling the new school liberal is a complete understatement. Everyone has opinions –obviously including Galliano! So with that being said…I’m sure he’ll fit in fine and everyone will relax after he begins.

Love the H&M commercial and I’m sure everyone that’s unsure about the song now will love it when it drops!

15. says:

John Galliano: I don’t understand why it would be wrong to let a person who has seen the error in his ways try to get ahead in life again. I mean, ya’ll love rihanna right? She gave CB a second chance and he actually hurt her. And last time I checked, racist comments don’t. They can, but I think a fist hurts more. Anywho, I just think he deserves a second chance.

Kylie: I think she needs to validate for herself that what she did was ‘wrong’ (in her own eyes) and has to make peace with it via his book. I am all for that. She has come to a new understanding and just wants to share.

16. LaTasha says:

I want to be like Beyonce when I grow up. Werk it billion dollar girl!!

17. KG says:

@Elle…she is not overrated. She’s rated as much as her fans love her and for her vocal/dancing abilities.

18. lola says:

BOWING AT THE ALTAR OF BEYSUS CARTER CHRIST!!! BOWING!!!!!

19. Empress says:

Love me some Bey. The song isn’t that exciting, but it will grow on me. Bey looks so much like Solange when she has dark hair!

Prayers for the families in Bangladesh!

20. Layla says:

I feel like the former VS model has a valid point. The campaign ads by VS have gone completely down the drain. It is no longer the Tyra, Heidi, Giselle bunch of women who pushed for female empowerment. It is now about promoting the “what do guys think?” mentality in addition to being a bimbo. She isn’t off-center with her feelings at all, even GQ magazine (GQ!) made the exact same comments about the complete lack of personality the company pushes. I don’t see her criticism towards the models but the brand (if she were criticizing the models it would go against her promotion of inner female beauty). I would venture to say that a lot of models who are younger don’t even know what is going on, similar to the way the young audience who help support the bran doesn’t. As a woman of 22 years, I feel so silly going into VS – with all the polka dot dogs and what not. I go to Fredrick’s now or shop online.

21. Layla says:

*brand

Also, Beyonce looks gorgeous. Royal!

22. ThisNinjaHere says:

@ELLE yes indeed!

23. kat says:

RE: the Bangladesh factory collapse, who is ultimately responsible? Is the government for not upholding stricter building codes or the companies for knowingly allowing people to work in an unsafe structure?

24. Nicole says:

Nothing new from Bey. It was more about her and nothing about the clothes.

25. Kylie Bisutti-…..chile…did you not realize that men wait in the mail for that catalog? You think us women give a dam about those sexy women selling us stuff looking like that?

And good that you mentioned the fire. Monsanto’s basically makes people on India their Bi*ches by only make GMO (genetically modified) cotton seeds availiable to produce. Nothing is organic anymore and they don’t give them much of a choice. This regulates so much over there that farmers are killing themselves because they are so poor after dealing with this company. They also have the worst conditions. It’s a catch 22 cheapie clothing for us, but a nightmare for those poor workers who produce all of that clothing for these large chains liek H&M, Walmart and other places.

Check out the article a ton of our cotton comes from India…but at what risk. http://naturalsociety.com/monsantos-gmo-seeds-farmer-suicides-every-30-minutes/

26. dan ah says:

Kylie: Go on girl, stand up for what you believe is right. but don’t we all really share that same belief too? well she’s a Jesus girl now- no more Victoria’s and she isn’t keeping anything secret about it. go figure!

27. Angel says:

I just love the way that the author of this article completely and undeniably came for Bey with her ‘yaki’ comment. Smh. Your def working for the wrong blog site doll…ybf maybe?? Grow up miss thing…the shade isnt cute or where its at. Not a Beyonce stan (even tho i do live for her) just not a fan of the undercut shade. Been coming to this website for over a year now and ive NEVER posted a comment or felt the need to EVER until now. When i read that, i was like…”did she jus do that?” soo professional girl…. *rolls eyes*

28. Jihan says:

@Angel, you’ve been reading for a year? “Your” def not reading my posts then….!