March 29th, 2013
Shopping, Spring Wardrobe, Style Inspiration, Wedding, What to Wear
Spring 2013 Bridal Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding
By Danielle Nicole

It’s wedding season!

And we’ve received a number of requests from brides-to-be who want to get hitched at the courthouse. Since some of you are non traditional, some curvy, some on a budget, so I decided to dream up a slew of looks for all your needs.
Let’s get started!

Sandra writes, “I’m a daily (sometimes twice daily) reader and I know I can count on FBD for help! I saw a previous post for what to wear for a courthouse wedding but I was hoping you can give an updated selection for this year. I’m planning a courthouse wedding in Philly for May, and as you know the northeast weather is hit or miss in the spring but by May I’m hoping for warmth (fingers crossed!)”…
Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! Shopping for the right wedding dress can be quite exciting as well as exhausting so I’m glad to help you narrow down your choices and give you a little wedding day inspiration.
For a simple and classic wedding look, choose a modest, yet form fitting lace dress in a cream or off-white hue.
What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding 3 Pair with a strappy heel, matching clutch, and an embellished bib necklace (get the one above from Zara). To add a little Hollywood glam, perfect your pout with a sultry red lip. Throw on a topper like this $159  combination jacket by Zara, in case you get chilly:

Sandra continues, “I’m on a tight budget, we have 4 kids and are (finally) jumpin the broom! I imagine something simple and classic that is flattering for my curvy figure and will look good in pictures for years to come. Thanks for your help!!!”
For a classic figure-flattering look that’s budget friendly, I went with this cream black lace panelled shift dress from houseoffraser.co.uk.
What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding 5

The sweetheart neckline instantly gives an old Hollywood feel, especially when worn with a red lip and mani. Add in a white pump, cluster pearl stud earrings, and a gold and black lace handbag to complete your look.

Reader Letetia is also walking down the aisle this spring, and writes, “Bomb staffers, I am City Hall bound in a month with no idea what to wear, except for the shoes :-). I’m a nontraditional bride and curvy. My desire is to look fashionable, fresh and fun without too much fuss. Please HELP!”
No problem! An elegant jumpsuit is a fun and fresh alternative to the pants suit look, so I opted for an off-white sleeveless option paired with a pastel pink blazer (get the blazer pictured here).

What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding 6

Complete your wedding day look with a pair of rose gold teardrop earrings, a metallic peep toe pump, silver sequin clutch (get the one above here), and a peachy-pink makeup palette.

At $4,000, this particular jumpsuit may be a bit of out of your desired price range. Lucky you, several retailers have similar styles for a lot less.

For this next look, I went a bit bold. You say you’re a non-traditional bride– what says “non-traditional” more than a red wedding dress?
What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding 7
To pull off this crimson lace A-line beauty, incorporate traditional bridal elements, including a pearl necklace, a classic white pump, and a tailored white blazer. Instead of a floral bouquet, opt for this red rose designed clutch and keep the rest of your bridal look simple with just a pair of gorgeous stud earrings and a soft pink makeup palette.

Next up, Teri writes, “I am getting married in a few weeks and we have decided to go down to the court house and exchange vows and I was wondering what do you wear to this event? We are having a big reception in a few months so I don’t want to get overdressed for the court house and still have to buy a NICE dress for the reception. Any ideas will help…Thanks.”

I wanted to incorporate the tradition of wearing “something blue”, so this look centers around a “Tiffany’s blue” inspired peplum top with a jewel embellished cap sleeve.

What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding 1

To compliment the peplum look, I went for a simple white pencil skirt and a silver metallic pump. For an elegant and semi-retro vibe, I added a partial white veil, pearl earrings, and a charcoal grey satin clutch with a jewel pendent. And if you’re getting married in a city that’s still a bit chilly this time of year, keep things warm with a classic grey wool coat.

The last look is a modern take on a wedding look with a cream pants suit mixed with a gold satin tank and a metallic ankle strap peep toe pump.

What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding 2
Throw in just a bit of color (your something blue) with a pair of glitzy baby blue rhinestone earrings (get the ones pictured here) and an embellished statement necklace. And don’t forget to keep your tissues (for those tears of joy) and pale pink lip gloss stashed in a chic box clutch.

I hope these wedding day looks were of some help to you brides-to-be. Which one is more your style?
And once again, congrats!

27 Responses to “Spring 2013 Bridal Style Inspiration: What to Wear to a Courthouse Wedding”

1. Rachel Ramos says:

I would definitely wear the first Zara suggestion to a wedding. So beauftiful and feminine..

2. 11 Reasons says:

This is by far one of the best What to Wear posts! I love every look and am glad to see courthouse weddings on the rise… Good job Danielle Nicole

3. Jazzmen says:

@11 reasons agree! , so many fashionable/chic options <3

4. Taj says:

This post is amazing and I can see a soon to be bride in anyone of these outfits. Beautiful job.

5. jme says:

Well done! Every selection is beautifully put together….

Numbers 2 & 4 are my fave

6. tiffers says:

All of these looks are great!!!

7. Martinique_Fr says:

WOW! .. ALL the suggestions are gorgeous and appropriate. Bravo!

8. Sandra says:

I KNEW I could count on FBD! Thank you for the amazing options!!! <3

9. Pari says:

I love every single one of these!

Every look is just gorg! Why wait for a wedding, I say!

11. FashAnon says:

Danielle, you did an excellent job. There has never been a what to wear post, before today, where I have loved everything about every single look.

12. cheriemacherie says:

i love all these looks.. great job

13. Amber says:

Loved every single look!

14. Crystal says:

What did I miss? Is Danielle Nicole the intern that won? Anyway, this post is AMAZING! That pop of blue is so adorable. I might re-create that white jumpsuit/pastel blazer look for Easter. GREAT job!!! Congrats to the bride as well.

15. binks says:

Wow, all of these looks are great especially the pantsuit I would have never thought of it. Agreed @11 reasons I am glad that courthouse weddings are gaining more popularity too, a lot of people sleep on courthouse wedding but go with the price tag of a “traditional” wedding.

16. justme says:

I haven’t liked all the options in a what to wear post in a long time. Good job Danielle.

17. porscha says:

Loved all the looks especially look 4!!!

18. Westafricanmutt says:

I really love these looks. I would rock them for my pre-wedding brunch or something! Loving loving loving!

19. Grace says:

Am I the only one who found this post depressing? 4 kids before he put a ring on it?! #shrugs

20. itsjustme says:

i loved every.single.look!

21. V says:

Every look is fab but bc it’s a courthouse wedding I don’t see the bride in an elaborate dress, these looks may upstage her!

22. vision kinda Rosy says:

Love the options. Fave is the jumpsuit and very first option

23. LawyerLady says:

Fantastic selection! There is truly something for every bride here.

24. LadyShawann says:

Oh how lovely. My hubby & married at the court house. We are 13 years strong. Congratulations to all. I think my favorite look is the white w/black lace one.

25. NATURALSOUL1980 says:

I TOO WILL TIE THE KNOT IN THE CITY OF PHILADELPHIA, AND WAS LOOKING FOR SOME FASHION INSPIRATION. FOUND IT HERE. GREAT JOB! ALL OF THE LOOKS ARE ELEGANT, WELL COORDINATED AND VERY CLASSY! THANKS CLAIRE

26. AidanHall says:

Very Lovely and Fashionable dresses!

27. My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. But he’s tryiong
    none the less. I’ve been using Movable-type on various websites for about a year and am concerned about switching to another platform.
    I have heard very good things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into
    it? Any kind of help would be really appreciated!