March 25th, 2013
Ethnic Models, Fashion, Fashion News
By Faith

Model Jourdan Dunn is known for her cool street style, no holds barred commentary on the ins and outs of the fashion industry, and impeccable bone structure. So it’s no surprise the Brit mannequin held nothing back when she chatted with Net-A-Porter’s The Edit magazine for an in-depth interview on racism in the industry, her son, and so much more.

jourdan-dunn-by-ben-toms-for-net-a-porters-the-edit-magazine-3

Though just 22 years old, Jourdan has accomplished a great deal for her age, most notably walking the Prada runway at age 17 (the last to do so before her was Naomi Campbell 11 years prior), gracing the cover of Vogue Italia, appearing during the Olympic Closing Ceremony in her hometown, and fronting the campaign for fashion houses including Yves Saint Laurent and Burberry, among others.

jourdan-dunn-by-ben-toms-for-net-a-porters-the-edit-magazine-1

Despite her long list of accomplishments, Jourdan’s career hasn’t been without struggle due to racism in the fashion industry. She’s been turned away by a client who “didn’t want anymore black girls” for a casting and a white makeup artist who didn’t want to touch Jourdan’s skin on a photoshoot. Naturally, these instances upset her, but she didn’t give up, thanks to some very valuable lessons learned from her mother: “I grew up wanting to be my mom. She always seemed to make things work without ever complaining. She whips me into shape.”

jourdan-dunn-by-ben-toms-for-net-a-porters-the-edit-magazine-2

It was big news in the fashion industry when Jourdan became pregnant with her son, Riley, at the age of 19. Riley’s father was her long-term boyfriend of five years, who was sent to prison for possession of cocaine with intent to sell just a short time after Riley’s birth. Riley also has sickle-cell disease, which is one of the reasons Jourdan has become an advocate for it, giving her time and support to the Sickle Cell Society.

jourdan-dunn-by-ben-toms-for-net-a-porters-the-edit-magazine-4

Regardless of some of the setbacks in her life, she has an amazing support system including mentors Pat McGrath and Edward Enninful and friends Cara Delevingne, Karlie Kloss, and Jay-Z: the latter whom Jourdan works with on his YouTube channel, Life + Times with her cooking series, Well Dunn with Jourdan Dunn.

jourdan-dunn-by-ben-toms-for-net-a-porters-the-edit-magazine

Jourdan has long been one of my favorite models and I cannot wait to see what the future holds for her.

Check out the entire article at www.net-a-porter.com.

Thoughts?

34 Responses to “Fashion News: Jourdan Dunn Discusses Racism in the Fashion Industry, Her Son, and More with Net-A-Porter’s The Edit Magazine”

1. Question says:

Babydaddy sent to prison for possession. Why do so many talented Black women get caught up with no good men?

2. Good to see more models talking about the racism in the fashion industry.

3. Siyam says:

Love her and I’m glad she’s been so heavily featured.

4. k says:

@Question….hush, focus on the positive damn always gotta be somebody to bring up some negative sh*!

5. BeingFacetious says:

@Question

why are so many black men no good?

6. lola says:

I love JouJou with my entire heart and soul, but I must admit, I was disappointed in her with the whole pregnancy/Riley drama. We really have to break this vicious cycle in the black community, we really do. She grew up without a father and now her son is growing up without a father. I can’t. I simply cannot.

7. lola says:

@BeingFaceious

And why are so many black women no good either? Blaming only black men is ignorant and does not even begin to address the problem. Goodbye girl.

8. quick2hear&slow2respond says:

@ question @ beingfacetious….I’m assuming u both are women based on ur responses. I read the story in its entirety taking away Ms. Dunn’s strengths, her accomplishments, her willingness to be open about her trials and tribulations. I read how she’s successful, a mother. I read how she made a conscious mature decision at a young age not to be another black girl another statistic. Her story is a relatable story across all ethnicities. @ being facetious why are u assuming the childs father is black? @ question my question since you have only had 1 perfect partner in your life. The 1 perfect person might I add that exist w/out fault. How many young talented girls are you mentoring, everyone has a talent right? Everyone doesn’t have the support or financial means.

9. quick2hear&slow2respond says:

@ question @ beingfacetious….I’m assuming u both are women based on ur responses. I read the story in its entirety taking away Ms. Dunn’s strengths, her accomplishments, her willingness to be open about her trials and tribulations. I read how she’s successful, a mother with a son that has sickle cell & she suoports an amazing cause. I read how she made a conscious mature decision at a young age not to be another black girl; another statistic. Her story is a relatable story across all ethnicities. @ being facetious why are u assuming the childs father is black? @ question my question since you have only had 1 perfect partner in your life. The 1 perfect person might I add that exist w/out fault. How many young talented girls are you mentoring, everyone has a talent right? Everyone doesn’t have the support or financial means.

10. Kahalia says:

The babydaddy drama is disappointing. But it does not take away from the fact that she is stunning and obviously talented.

@quick2hear, Jordan is another statistic as she is an unwed teen mom who is now raising her son as a single parent, so while I do get what you are saying about seeing the positive in her situation you can’t knock other posters for their opinion about the truth.

Her son’s father is black.

13. makeeasweet says:

@questions

i also hate seeing successful black woman with morons trying to bring them down too.But hey you know the saying,you gotta kiss some frogs before you catch your prince.i just wish women would stop having babies with those damn frogs!!! Anyway she is a fantastic model and a beautiful woman.

14. Andie says:

These comments are mind blowing…kudos to her achievements

15. peplum lover says:

Same kudos to her achievements ;) give praise where praise is due :) let the church say Amen

16. peplum lover says:

“I read how she made a conscious mature decision at a young age not to be another black girl another statistic” thanks to anonymous 7.23 for clearing up that , that is a statistic – unwed , teen mum with no baby daddy ! But despite that issue she hasn’t allowed the controversy to cloud or anchor her down and has come out on top :). Rileys gorge to! Best of brits woop woop

17. Abby says:

*gasps* @ the make-up artist who didn’t want to touch her skin. The fashion industry is sooooo racist, I don’t know how some of these black supermodels do it…no wonder Naomi doesn’t take any mess, look at the crap they are forced to deal with!

18. Shayla says:

As a Human we all go through things. As a WOMAN we all go through things. Being YOUNG, BLACK & a WOMAN is a whole different ball game. I’m very proud of her accomplishments & happy for her success. Keep moving forward Jordan & the world is yours!

19. Shayla says:

As a Human Being you go through difficult times. As a Woman you go through things. Being Young, Black, a Woman & a Mom is a whole different ball game. How dare anyone be anything but proud of her accomplishments & happy for her successes? Continue to hold your head up high & press forward. The haters will follow. The world is yours Miss Dunn!

20. Such a strong black women

21. BeingFacetious says:

“And why are so many black women no good either?” <— you just did the SAME thing.

@Lola… I already didn't "like" you, and you keep showing me why. Please shuttup. I guess the 'BeingFacetious' title was lost on you. I was merely showing Question how ludicrous it is to make statements like that.

Leave black women out of this. This is Jourdan's story. Period. This is indicative of NOTHING. People make bad decisions. Talented people, smart people, blue people, purple people, PEOPLE! That is, and remains my point, if some of you didn't get that… oh well.

22. BeingFacetious says:

@quick2hear&slow2respond

He’s black. I know this for certain. And if I didn’t, it would be a “fair” and “reasonable” assumption considering the baby’s sickle cell (wishing both of them all the best, sickle cell is no joke) and the rates of sickle cell in certain communities as opposed to others.

23. Lioness says:

The back and forth in this post is annoying. You don’t know his story and we only know part of hers.

Kudos to Jourdan’s achievements!

24. LawyerLady says:

She is sooooo amazingly beautiful. I still love when Burberry featured her in an interacial series of ads. Gorgeous!!!

25. OMG you guys are taking this to another level!! Jeez why can’t we praise her for her success… You guys are acting as if this is new to the world… the point is she is here and she is working and beating all friggin odds without her babyfather. Who cares if she was pregnant at 17…. I bet your ass were too

26. Sppoteur says:

sigh what is really sad is the problem and will be the lack of solidarity between the models of this generation
    the first black model Yves Saint Laurent, Rebecca Ayoko it. she presented Katoucha Niame Mr. St. Laurent. He falls in love with is considered the new face
    black models of this generation are so selfish towards each other they are just bitching about racism as their usual customer does take longer in their castings
    she worked for Burberry. Burberry supports only two black girls in parades. we never see black girls in their campaigns.
    why is that Jourdan Dunn does not tell Bailey that he is racist?? ,

27. spotteur says:

why is that Jourdan Dunn does not tell Bailey that he is racist?? ,

28. s says:

Thanks fash bomb, this post has made me want to donate to the sicle cell society…. hope more research is done into the disease and there is eventually a cure….we need more scientists on the case

I must’ve read a different article because her and her child’s father was hardly the focal point…but as a society that is what we do right? Relish in others shortcomings and completely ignore everything else. Kudos to jourdan and I hope this is but a small fragment of what’s in store for her.

30. Lola says:

Her cooking show is hilarious, I am definitely trying some of those recipes.

31. Kay says:

I wish Jourdan all the best – she is beautiful, stunning and has an amazing body. She deserves to be a Supermodel and achieve great success. Sometimes very young / teen mothers go on and become not only fantastic mothers, but they make better decisions later in life, as they get older ….and hopefully wiser life choices. I wish her well. She has STAR quality.

32. Ron says:

Let’s look at the bright side, now she is earning a lot of money she doesn’t need the father to take care of her son.

33. Ryat says:

I was a model during my college days in Asia.Frankly speaking it is not the Fashion houses that are against the blacks or coloured model, it is usually the powerful managers from the distributor side.They prefer their own race, in my case they prefer Chinese as according to her ,Chinese looks better in pink jacket and coloured models looked dull!
    And 3 coloured models for a trunk show is “more than enough” Yep that Escada Hong Kong during the 90`´s!