March 14th, 2013
Fashion News, Obama Family, Vogue
Fashion News: First Lady Michelle Obama Covers Vogue‘s April 2013 Issue
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

It turns out the rumors were true! Your Vogue magazine April 2013 cover girl is none other than our *majestic* First Lady Michelle Obama!

michelle-obama-vogue-2013-cover

Whispers that the FLOTUS might once again grace the cover of the fashion bible started swirling back in January, when Annie Leibovitz (who lensed the spread) and Vogue‘s camera crew were spotted at the White House.

michelle obama vogue april 2013
Ms. Obama last appeared on the cover for the magazine’s March 2009 issue in a magenta Jason Wu frock.

Michelle-Obama-March-2009-V

This time around, she’s wearing a dress from one of her favorite designers, Reed Krakoff. Of course, she looks amazing in both.

michelle obama president barack obama vogue us april 2013
Which cover do you prefer?

michelle-obama-vogue-2013-cover

~ Jihan
*Twitter friend @MrJordanNow noticed that the First Lady’s cover comes one month after Beyoncé’s April 2013 moment.
beyonce-vogue-cover-march-2013
That’s two fabulous African-American ladies in a row. We see you, Vogue!

32 Responses to “Fashion News: First Lady Michelle Obama Covers Vogue‘s April 2013 Issue”

1. Loves her! This photo is much better than the last cover.

2. Sade says:

First thing that came out my mouth was “B*tch! You better work!” You have to excuse me because I just finished watching a RuPaul’s Drag Race marathon, but still this cover is EVERYTHING!

3. Bronze says:

I can honestly say that I love this cover. It does her justice.

4. Yashi says:

the bangs give me chills everytime I see them…ugh

5. HavilandClarke says:

Jihan you just had to give beyonce a mention in this post? Yawns…. Beautiful cover of our first Lady

6. Allure says:

I FREAKIN LOVE IT!!! SHE LOOKS AMAZING!!!

7. Claire says:

@HavilandClark I added that in (not Jihan) after our twitter follower @MrJordanNow pointed it out. The ladies were also back to back in 2009. Might add that in, too.

8. endESQ says:

So gorgeous!

9. terilili says:

This cover looks amazing. I thought the first looks amazing, but I love how she is shaping her eyebrows these days. And I don’t care what anyone says, I like her mid-life crisis bangs. She has a much softer look than she had 4 years ago. Love the photo, love the FLOTUS!

10. jeda says:

That second picture in the black is everything….and i love the bangs!
    Blessings

11. HavilandClarke says:

@Claire the tude is not necessary. Add what you must. Im free to express my feeling as this is a comment section. One love.

12. Jihan says:

@HavilandClarke: I actually initially WAS going to mention that Beyonce and MObama (who, by the bye, are totally BFF) were on the covers back to back, but I didn’t because I found that I was being too snarky (two black women one after the other? We probably won’t see another black woman on Vogue for another 2 years!).

Also, it is pretty awesome that two black women in one year have been on the cover of Vogue, which usually does not feature faces like ours on their cover. No need to be salty! CELEBRATE!

But, I guess like Michael Jackson in The Wiz, as a writer “you can’t wiiiin chiiile!”

13. Scarlett says:

I prefer the 2013 cover better, but it does not do her justice. The FLOTUS is a very appealing woman with distinct features and this cover does a poor job of capturing her allure.

14. jb says:

my day has been made. that is all.

15. Marsha says:

I am just as happy to see Mrs. Obama on the cover now as I was in 2009, but I prefer 2013. Jihan is probably right though, no more Black faces until 2015! Snarky critics, however, are with us daily.

16. lah.di.dah says:

she’s looks beautiful. and that all black gown…i’m gagging. LOVE MiMi O. so glad she’s our First Lady

17. Lindsey says:

I love the fact that you ladies mentioned both Vogue covers because when is the last time we seen two African American women back to back to the cover. So yes to Jihan! And double yes to Claire!! Thumbs down to the Beyonce shade…lets praise this moment instead of finding a negative (or reaching to find a negative).

18. omg says:

i need to buy.

19. Enigma says:

Love the 2013 cover better and the picture of her in the black gown is just lovely.

snarky comments begets snarky responses.

20. Claire says:

@HavilandClark I didn’t have an attitude, not quite sure why my comment was perceived as such. Perhaps you were projecting.
    Just wanted to make sure any anti-Beyonce angst wasn’t misdirected.
    At any rate, can we just be happy Mobama is on the cover?
    Stunning! Be happy, y’all! Have a great day.

21. Dkixx says:

She’s an awesome representation of a black woman.

22. felix says:

What a nice photo for teh ad of teh “planet of the apes” last generation

23. felix says:

lovely

24. Myranda says:

Her fashions on the covers should have been taken up a few notches.

25. Camillia says:

Loving my 1st lady!!!! FLOTUS rocks!

26. LawyerLady says:

I will be purchasing this Vogue (as I purchased last month’s too). I am obsessed with the FLOTUS. But me no likey her hair on this cover….. it’s really big at the top.

27. lola says:

WERQQQQQQQ Ms. O, WERQQQQQ. I see you stuntin’ on these hoes with that presidential chic and even more amazing that this comes after QUEEN BEYSUS CARTER CHRIST’s fabulous cover. YAAAASSS Vogue, I live.

28. AzizMom says:

Our ancestors are smiling wide and proud. Think about how significant this is – 2009 and now. We’ve come a long way, if not just in symbolism. It’s encouraging and a break for the norm for young women and girls everywhere. Bravo!

29. binks says:

Love the cover I prefer this cover than the last one our FLOTUS better work. And don’t care with anybody says Michelle keep rocking your bangs…lol

30. Melissa says:

my FLOUTS is serving elegance and presidential realness for the kiddies!!!!!! get all. the. way. into that cover!

31. Jei says:

First thoughts were “Take that, take that” My President is black & so is my First Lady & she is on thee cover of Vogue for the 2nd time. I am proud.