March 12th, 2013
Celebrity Style, Shopping, Spring Wardrobe, Trend

So the Fall 2013 collections have recently wrapped, and it’s high time to start thinking about getting prepped for Spring! Though it’s still pretty cold (and rainy!!) in NYC, the weather will be turning before you know it. Get ready for warm temps and bright rays with these Spring/Summer 2013 fashion and shoe trends:
top 10 spring 2013 trends leather ruffles checks 90's revival world prints gladiator heels white pumps

1. Checkerboard/Diamond Prints
fan-bingbing-louis-vuitton-fall-2013-fashion-show-paris-fashion-week-louis-vuitton-spring-2013-black-and-white-checkered-dress-white-mini-alma-bag-giuseppe-zanotti-black-patent-peep-toe-1
As seen at: Louis Vuitton, Balmain, House of Holland.

From Left: Balmain, Louis Vuitton, House of Holland

From Left: Balmain, Louis Vuitton, House of Holland

How to wear it:
jessica alba after party louis vuitton dedss
To achieve the full look, rock a checkered dress, or add just a dash of chic with a checkered top or heels.
khloe-kardashian-photoshoot-t-by-alexander-wang-pleated-neoprene-mini-dress-givenchy-check-embossed-lace-up-ankle-boots
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

2. Stripes
Zoe-Saldana-2013-Independent-Spirit-Awards
As seen at: Oscar de la Renta, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti, Dolce & Gabbana.

From Left: Tommy Hilfiger, Michael Kors, Oscar de la Renta

From Left: Tommy Hilfiger, Michael Kors, Oscar de la Renta

How to wear it:
karolina-kurkova-michael-kors-fall-2013-fashion-show-new-york-city-michael-kors-spring-2013-stripe-shirt-samantha-stripe-pant-silverton-tote
Whether sliced vertically or horizontally, stripes, some nautically inspired, will be sure to set off your wardrobe with panache. It’s all about bold combinations for Spring. Layer stripe on stripe, or take it easy with a lined dress. Note: horizontal stripes can make you look wide, while vertical stripes make you appear long and lean. Your choice!

lil mama striped dress boa steakhouse
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

3. Ruffles
'Django Unchained' Rome Photocall
As seen at: Gucci, Balenciaga, Givenchy.

From Left: Balenciaga, Gucci, Givenchy

From Left: Balenciaga, Gucci, Givenchy

How to wear it:
Hong Kong Mnet Asian Music Awards
Ruffles truly make a statement this year with scale–the bigger the better. Frills work best on cute cocktails or skirts, so grab a few if you want to fall in line.
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

4. 90′s Revival
Splurge-Rihannas-LAX-DKNY-Opening-Ceremony-91-Black-and-White-Jumpsuit
As seen at: DKNY, 3.1 Phillip Lim, House of Holland.

From Left: 3.1 Phillip Lim, DKNY, House of Holland

From Left: 3.1 Phillip Lim, DKNY, House of Holland

How to Wear it:

Ciara topshop 1991 sweatshirt
Get all your logo loving in with tops and pants emblazoned with labels. Not into free advertising? Overalls, tie dyed separates, and cropped blouses can help you get the look without being too obvious.
rita-ora-instagram-house-of-holland-spring-2013-tie-dye-look
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

5. Cropped Tops

Nicole-Scherzinger leopard skirt crop top
As seen at: Peter Som, Giulietta, Anthony Vaccarello, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Derek Lam.

From Left: Derek Lam, Anthony Vaccarello, Peter Som

From Left: Derek Lam, Anthony Vaccarello, Peter Som

How to Wear It:

00  Rihanna's London Rihanna for River Island White Crop Top, Double Top Jeans, and Army by Yves Salomon Fur Trimmed Parka
If you’ve been up in the gym, working on your fitness, cropped tops are for you! Your best accessory would be flat abs. Go for high waisted to fudge it a bit.
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

6. Leather

02  Kim Kardashian's Yogurt Land Givenchy Shark Lock Fold Over Wedge Boots
As seen at: Derek Lam, Proenza Schouler, Alexander Wang, Jason Wu, Sally LaPointe.

From Left: Alexander Wang, Proenza Schouler, Sally LaPointe

From Left: Alexander Wang, Proenza Schouler, Sally LaPointe

How to wear it:

gwen-stefani-new-york-city-asymmetric-leather-peplum-top

Leather in the summer? Why yes. Yes, indeed. The sturdy fabric has carried over from fall to enter into our spring lexicon, thanks to lighter weights, brighter colors, and skin baring cut outs. To wear this well, go for perforated or sliced leather looks, or strapless tops that allow for a bit of ventilation.
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

7. Bold Florals
Splurge-Beyonces-Instagram-10-Crosby-Derek-Lam-Printed-Silk-Blouse-and-Trousers
As seen at: Brood, Paul & Joe, Moschino, Preen, Peter Som, Suno.

From Left: Peter Som, Suno, Preen

From Left: Peter Som, Suno, Preen

How to Wear It:

01 Ashley Madekwe's 15th Annual Costume Designer's Guild Awards J. Mendel Floral Print Mikado Trapeze Top, A-line Skirt, and Christian Louboutin Pink Neuron Suede Sandals
Yes, flowers in spring skews obvious, though this season, step it up a notch. Mix and match like Beyoncé or go full full on floral like Ashley Madekwe, slipping on a top and matching bottom (I’m a fan!).
claire sulmers fashion bomb daily bcbg landon top andeson floral prints nyfw fall 2013

Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

8. Gladiator Heels
09 Jennifer Lopez by Katja Rahlwes for Harper’s Bazaar US February 2013.
As seen at: Tom Ford, Giuseppe Zanotti, Versace, Altuzarra.

From Left: Altuzarra, Tom Ford, Versace

From Left: Altuzarra, Tom Ford, Versace

How to Wear It:

Jada-Pinkett-Smith-and-Salma-Hayek-Gucci-Chime-For-Change-Luncheon
Get your fingers poised to lace up and buckle your sandals! Gladiator heels are back, but they’re more adventurous than ever. Most versions lace up to your ankles–some go up to your thigh. Rock ‘em with a short hem to truly let them shine.
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

9. Global Prints

solange-knowles-glamour-women-of-the-year-awards-2012
As seen at: Vera Wang, Altuzarra, Derek Lam, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Duro Olowu.

From Left: Altuzarra, Duro Olowu, Vera Wang

From Left: Altuzarra, Duro Olowu, Vera Wang

How to Wear It:

insanic invanity printed dress Nichole+Galicia+Weinstein+Company+Lexus+Present+NwbyIi2BJEsl
India, Asia, Africa…take inspiration from world cultures to inform your springtime garde-robe. Like florals, the more prints the better. If you’re unsure, rock a full on printed dress or match a top and skirt like Solange.
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

10. White Shoes

Exclusive - La La Anthony Wears Team Colors of NY Knick's Biggest Rivals
As seen at: Lanvin, Chanel, Fendi.

From Left: Lanvin, Chanel, Fendi

From Left: Lanvin, Chanel, Fendi

How to Wear It:
solange-knowles-the-late-show-with-david-letterman-moschino-pre-fall-2013-polka-dot-skirt-suit-elizabeth-and-james-saucy-t-strap-leather-pumps-2
Let white pumps be the exclamation point to a patterned or colorful look. It’s a neutral, so you can rarely go wrong.
Get the Look Here:

Get it for Under $100 Here:

Phew, that does it! I’m running out to buy a pair of gladiator heels (and a new pair of white pumps!).
Which trends are you dying to try?
Images: Fashion Wire Press

34 Responses to “10 Top Spring 2013 Fashion Trends (What They Are and How to Wear Them): Ruffles, 90′s Revival, Stripes, Leather, and more!”

1. Jazzy says:

I love them all. Floral rocks!!!!!

2. "you left my comments fo dead" says:

:-)

3. jrDesignerLover says:

Claire you look so nice in that floral outfit…love prints and monochromatic fashion.

4. i absolutely love this post! LOVE everything (except the free advertising plastered all over your clothes)!!

5. Hmmm, not completely sold on all of these looks. The good thing is my purchases from last year still work this time around.

6. iHeartKeya says:

I’m into everything on this list. I already have a black and white checkerboard print skirt, floral pants, and the leather trends down (I just want a leather piece or 2 in bright colors). Just need to get the others. Btw I love the white pumps this season but I wouldn’t spend my last on a pair b/c they are “trendy”. I don’t see them as timeless or classic.

7. SHAQ NICHOLE says:

Yay to the 90′s!! Love me some 90′s…

8. yusufswifee says:

thank you claire…i live for these. nothing pleases me more when I can run down a list of trends and pull the ones i’d wear right out my closet from last year. I’m really trying to limit my spending and buying of clothes.

Now makeup is another story. Looking for that post next:-)

9. Brandon says:

Would have liked to have seen something like this for men too, you have a lot of daily male visitors too Claire, dont forget about the fellas :)

10. Martinique_Fr says:

Ahhh Claire… I LOVE these types of posts! I’m a fan of “lists”… I’m totally here for this. Thank you!

11. Shammy says:

Lol @ “your best accessory would be flat abs “

12. bryan flyin says:

@ brandon

I agree! I am a frequent visitor of fashion bomb and although fashion knows no gender in my eyes. It would be nice to hear about spring looks for men:)

13. Tricia says:

Thanks for this post Claire! I’m looking forward to Spring and this post will help me get on track.

14. Sarah says:

Thanks for this post! Fun ideas to incorporate into my wardrobe in the coming months. I am all for the florals and gladiator sandals, but I always feel awkward in white shoes. It seems so simple and looks great here, but for some reason I always hesitate when it comes to white shoes.
    I’ll just have to find some at a really great price, so I can’t resist them. I did see this morning that RogansShoes.com is having a sale for 20% off womens shoes. Guess I’ll take another look at white ones.

15. nunu says:

been waiting for this post fooooreevveer!!

16. DannielleS says:

Nicole S look fab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not sure how I feel about the white shoes still??? lol

17. Kitty B. says:

YES to overalls coming back! I’ve been itching to wear my braided overal for sometime…and white shoes have found a new fan.

Thanks Claire :)

18. Afrobelle says:

Thanks for this post Claire. I love all the looks apart from the 90s revival.

19. binks says:

Can’t believe it but I’ am not feeling none of these trends, they look dated personally. I think this spring I will stick to classic pieces.

20. Natasha says:

Co-sign on Spring looks for our Bombers. As for me, my closest has a stripe top and lots of “global” (read: Ghanaian) prints. Will need to find some perforated leather…I like the sound of that!

21. Alexis says:

Why does LA LA look so damn skinny!?

22. Mesa says:

The only trend I’m not here for is that damn leather in the summer! Nope I be damn….lol

23. t-fal says:

i love this post too, especially the higher priced options countered with the looks under $100 option. I’m not here for leather in the summertime either, waaay too hot for that in the south. And I could do without florals, all I hear is Miranda from the Devil wears Prada ringing in my ear…… …..Florals. For spring. Groundbreaking.

24. rachel-Yvonne says:

this is extremely helpful! thank you xx

25. K says:

I’m gonna pass on florals, global prints and ruffles.

Also metallics are in for Spring!

27. Parterre says:

@t-fal….looooooooooooooool… i love your miranda comment

28. nancy says:

wat r this people doin 2 the fashion i bet christmas fashion is better

29. selena says:

wat this is so much better than last season keep it up like this people P.S if anyone wants my ortograph i will be available today at mesquite Texas

30. Kutcha says:

wanna have it all

31. all these are really very cool. nice collection.

32. Anne Maseko says:

Loving the leather trend this season. Gorg outfits.

33. paypal vcc says:

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was totally right. This submit actually made my day. You can not consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

34. KTZ Shoes says:

Fantastic post and best blogs, I have bookmarked it for future use. Thanks for sharing it with us.