March 6th, 2013
Black Designers, Fashion News, Indie Designer, You Should Know
You Should Know: Iconic Invanity

Iconic-Invanity-ss-african-fashion-ankara-kitenge-khanga
A few weeks ago, a Mail Bombs search led me to the website of Iconic Invanity, a Nigerian based label of colorful cocktails, gowns, and suit sets:
Iconic-Invanity-ss13_11-tribal-dress-african-designer
Iconic-Invanity-african-print-kitenge-trousers-pants-
Iconic-Invanity-ss13-nigerian african fashion style fashionbomb daily africaine

With a focus on African prints with a Western sensibility, the brand prides itself on luxurious fabrics, intricate details, and beaded embellishments.

Iconic-Invanity-african-print-short-south-african-
Iconic-Invanity-ss13Iconic-Invanity-ss13_13
Iconic-Invanity-kitenge-dress

Their Spring 2013 show, titled ‘Luxury Sweet Candy’ features eye popping frocks, uplifted by sequins and swinging hems.

Take a gander at a few pieces on the runway here:
99  Iconic Invanity
0  Iconic Invanity
07  Iconic Invanity
01  Iconic Invanity

04  Iconic Invanity
06  Iconic Invanity
Prices start at $3,500-$4,500 for a dress, plus an average of $450 for shipping. Quite a splurge.
Iconic-Invanity-ss13_robe-en-pagne- fashion bomb daily images
I’m in love.
Iconic-Invanity-ss13-pagne-african-kitenge-dress-ankara
What do you think?
Iconic-Invanity-ss13_robe-en-pagne-fashionbombdaily-kitenge-ankara-dress
See more at IconicInvanity.com

29 Responses to “You Should Know: Iconic Invanity”

1. Imani says:

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

The colors, prints, everything! Nice find

2. KBS says:

some nice peices, but $450 to start? I don’t know anything about the line, but I’d hesitate paying that for an unknown label. It’s like, why would someone buy a Hyundai Equus for $60k when they can buy a 6 or M3 BMW? But to each her own.

3. S says:

LOVE it!

4. I.M. Kells says:

I love every piece…

5. jrDesignerLover says:

The beaded outfits remind me of Virgos Lounge clothing, and they are much more affordable

6. iQgraphics says:

@KBS
    Every time I hear an advertisement for that Hyundai, I throw up in my mouth a little.

I agree with much of what you said

7. A says:

@K and iQgraphics maybe you would just buy a piece because you could afford the piece as well as liking it!

With all the detail that has obviously gone into each piece and the fact that it is made to measure- I believe it’s worth ten times more than the designer duds you will buy that has no real detail or quality to it and that has been made in mass quantities.

8. iQgraphics says:

@ jrDesignerLover
    thanks for that link! I love it

9. iQgraphics says:

@A
    BMW vs Hyundai… hmmm

10. KBS says:

Lmao @iQgraphics, just a little, huh?
    @A, I hear ya mama, I’m not knocking the line, I’m not knocking Hyundai, but it’s just an analogy / opinion. I like 9West shoes and I can afford them, but they are garbage (now I am knocking), so I don’t buy them anymore. I’ve bought expensive things that I didn’t know much about and it wasn’t worth it. That tis all. Carry on.

11. TooMuch says:

You have got to be kidding me. I know this is a business and businesses are started so that money can be made but come on!!! If you get a tailor and get Ankara fabric or any ethnic fabric from Nigeria (like I do) or other African country, you could have these sewn for you for less than $100 total. I’m all for entrepreneurship, but this is ridiculous. I have a few of these in my closet right now, sheesh!!

12. iQgraphics says:

I am too old and awnry to explain what an analogy is.

13. Izhause says:

Beautiful!

14. Naija vix says:

$3500-4500?? or do you mean in Naira ?? because that is dramatically expensive lolll, nonetheless, the line is BEAUTIFUL !!

15. Natasha says:

Once I saw the dress lining in the second pic, I knew it had to be costly :lol: Great styling.

This may be sacrilege but does anyone know tailors who can recut/restyle traditional West African textile/fabric? I have so many Ghanaian dresses in lovely prints but they’re boxed-shaped. Would love to do something fab with them.

16. Belle says:

Are they shipping from space $450.

17. Belle says:

$450 are they shipping from space?

18. Jei says:

I love the line! but not for those prices.

19. fav says:

I was oooohhing and ahhhing until I got to the price tag and said awwww :(.

20. Camille says:

Absolutely beautiful line!!! Love the intricate bead work

21. T says:

@A I completely agree, I’d much rather have a made to measure dress with intricate beading than spend the same price on a big name designer who’s pieces are mass produced these days! And I’m assuming the shipping is from Nigeria to U.S.??? If so it makes sense why its so expensive then. Either way in LOVEEEEEE with this line.

22. westafricanmutt says:

I am soooo over African prints but some of this stuff is beautiful. The prices are ridic though… I mean come on

23. Kiki says:

Boring, predictable and over priced…..Go to the market, buy the fabric and make your own for way cheaper!

24. d.d says:

I’m in love with iconic invanity even though i know i cant afford them. I have seen all the designs up close and they are amazing..
    its not just ankara, its the hand beading that goes into it that makes it so unique.
    like the first dress, the entire front is covered with beads, all the flower patterns and all. That’s how most of her dresses are . So those of u saying your tailors can sew it , think again. Not sure how many tailors will even agree to cover your dress with lovely beads and create really nice designs with it . If they agree, you know they’ll charge you heavily.

25. T says:

@d.d. Exactly! I don’t know any tailors who will do the amount of intricate bead work that goes into these dresses, the amount of time it takes to sew the beads alone is enough to make them so expensive! One day I’ll save up to purchase one of their beautiful dresses :)

26. Andie says:

I get beading and quality but there are only two looks I even like..next

27. Naija Girl says:

I think the real question here is ” how much do they pay their workers that do all the intricate beading?” i bet you not enough the warrant these prices.

28. kelly says:

A closer look reveals that much of the beading and embroidery was done by hand…not to mention the actual fitting and styling of the dress. This may be an indie label but what most people don’t realize is that making clothes is hard work…Especially detail work of this quality and calibur. This is art, basically a wearable collector’s item.
    It’s not uncommon to see artists charging several thousands of dollars for an oil painting…so why, when there has clearly been so much love and artistry poured into these designs, would people say that it’s “too expensive” and that they would only pay big money for a “known label?”
    Its true, you could get a cheaper knock off imported from china…but in some cases they pay the laborers 2 cents a day—basically slave labor.

29. nduskyovich says:

first of all, the dresses are all fabulous and is well worth the prices she placed on them. what people have to understand is that luxury is not for everyone. people who buy her designs are classy women who don’t mingle with the complaining and ranting sort.
    Its a shame that some Nigerian ladies came here to say shii** if you want to patronise iya risika, go ahead. the dresses are not for everyone. That’s why many go to buy fake Gucci at bend-down boutique instead of buying the real deal.

A Rene Caovilla sandal goes for well over $2,000 and Nigerians are buying it cos they are absolutely unique. The same class of women who can afford that will buy those dresses without second thought.

Support your own and keep Ur cheapness secret in forums like these.
    case closed!