March 4th, 2013
Celebrity Style, Hot or Hmm
By Faith

Ashanti was spotted outside of MTV Studios in NYC in a $917 Balmain Long Sleeve Baseball Top, a pair of $2,051 Printed Viscose Jersey Harem Trousers from the brand, and $1,950 Givenchy Check Embossed Lace Up Booties:
ashanti-mtv-studios-new-york-city-balmain-baseball-top-printed-viscose-jersey-harem-trousers-givenchy-checkered-lace-up-booties

Her linen baseball top blends the brand’s check, floral, and stripe prints, for a luxurious and eye-catching tank on the classic silhouette.

Her now sold-out harem pants combine the aforementioned check, floral, and stripe prints.

Last, but not least are her calfskin leather booties which take on the fashion house’s checkered black and white pattern, playing off of the designs in the same pattern from Balmain that Ashanti is wearing. They boast a lace-up silhouette, leather toe rings, studded platforms, and 4.5″ heels.

These are each hot pieces separately, but together they pretty much look like an eyesore. I will give an A+ to Ashanti’s hair and makeup though!

What do you think? Hot! or Hmm…?

*Kim Kardashian also wore these booties with a menswear-inspired suit. Which pairing do you prefer?

kim-kardashian-late-show-with-david-letterman-new-york-city-givenchy-resort-2013

52 Responses to “Hot! or Hmm… Ashanti’s MTV Studios Balmain Long Sleeve Baseball Top, Printed Viscose Jersey Harem Trousers, and Givenchy Check Embossed Lace Up Booties”

1. Too much going on for all the wrong reasons.

2. Tiffany says:

they both rocked the shoes wrong and Ashanti was just dead wrong for putting all those pieces together.

3. elle says:

Not a fan of those shoes at all. Maybe with a simple black dress, maybe. Ashanti 9 times out of 10 is a miss.

4. Befe says:

Just 2 words I have for his,”ugly look”. I hate the shoe

5. DomDom says:

Ashanti gurlllll….

6. truthteller says:

I absolutely love outfit….it would have been predictable and BORING with red,black or nude shoe…..

7. They both rocked the shoes wrong but if I have to pick one, I will pick Kim. Ashanti’s combo is just so wrong.

8. Larry says:

Those are hot shoes and neither one really did them justice.

Ashanti’s entire looks is overkill. I sort of see what she was going for, but it’s just not working.

9. YIKES! says:

Ashanti’s worse look ever.

Ashanti u r so cute but your stylist needs to be fired ASAP u look like a girl in the mall wearing pieces thrown together in a hurry too matchy matchy how very sad

11. PurpleFury says:

What in the harlequin hell kind of outfit is this? My eyes kept looking for a comfortable place to rest.

12. ame says:

if ashanti had just did a plain black top or something i could deal with the pants and shoes together.

13. Robin says:

nah not feeling those booties

14. SHOEFETISH says:

Her earrings are dope!

15. Nadege says:

Wow, how did she agree to wear this outfit! Reminds me of Alice in Wonderland for some strange reason. lol

16. Pari says:

Way too much going on here.

17. J. Nicole says:

Nice pieces but worn all together can induce seizures.

18. S says:

I hope my comment doesn’t get deleted.

I feel like this outfit could have worked on Gwen Stefani. Gwen has always had this kind of edgy, rocker style. Ashanti it just doesn’t work for. I do agree with earlier comments. Separately the pieces are great, but all together it’s just too much going on.

19. smv says:

i actually like ashantis look.

20. this could have worked better on someone with more swagger (for lack of a better word) but for ashanti, the pants & top was trendy & wild enough. this would have looked more ashanti-like with some isabel marant sneaks or those two strap sandal/stilettos rihanna, kim k, and solange love so much.

21. Genie says:

Ashanti, honey next time just the top, dark pants or jeans and the shoes. Not everything at once! Honey you need a fashion peace treaty!

22. Jen says:

Too much going on

23. RHONYC says:

what in the world?! 8-0

24. Andie says:

I dont like the shoes at all..theres too much toe out I think. The shirt and the pants I like, together still on the fence

25. KBS says:

How terrifically tragic. Head to toe tragic. Givenchy didn’t hit the mark with this shoe, there is too much toe happening.

26. dyshaun says:

Wrong shoes. Great fit.

27. tasha says:

That is a lot going on, on one person.

28. Terra says:

When bad clothes happen to good people! What the hell Ashanti!!

29. Nia says:

Girl pick 1… the shirt, the pants, or the shoes, not all 3 at the same damn time!!!! Still love you tho.Rain on meeeee

30. Deb Bee says:

I think she just took the monochromatic trend a liiiitttle too far. I really like the top however. Wish she went the contrast route instead with a solid colored bottom. I’m not feeling the shoes. At all.

31. Cari says:

Those shoes are a mess!! I hate shoes that make your toes look like fingers! Bleh! Anywho, each piece would have been better as its own!

32. Eloise says:

She has hoodified Balmain. All those pieces together. and this hair and those earrings are so anti-Balmain.
    I’m French so what I’m going to say won’t be well received. Those American celebs manage to cheapen brands like Celine or Hermes, and now Givenchy or Balmain. They don’t really know how to do effortless chic a la Jane Birkin or Emmanuelle Alt or Thandie Newton. Sorry. For instance, I see a lot of women here in the US rocking Hermes bags all the wrong way. Now this iconic bag has lost its value.

33. Deb says:

OMG!!! I didn’t know Ashanti was appearing in Oz the Great and Powerful with James Falco…LOL
    Major Fail

34. SheSaid says:

Those shoes are just ugly. The front is too wide and big so they appear clunky and like you’re wearing a checkered cast with all your toes sticking out. Plain black pumps would have made the outfit much nicer.

35. Empress says:

This is kind of overkill, but I think she looks cute.

These look great as separates. So she chose this look as her post breakup look? Someone call her a stylist or print Claire’s ‘What to wear’ spreads?

37. Fatima says:

i think if rihanna would have wore ashanti’s outfit everyone would have loved it! it’s really not that bad, just doesn’t fit her it screams “I’m trying”.

38. charlyn says:

no no no no no no and no . trying to hard shoes need to go

39. Tifani says:

This is such a fashion fail! Ashanti probably thought she looked bomb. She really looked a HOT PRINTED MESS!

One of those prints needs to take a break…but i did not like Kims look at all

41. binks says:

too much going on, these pieces needs to be worn individually with other pieces not together

42. Nelly says:

I know I might sound a lil’ crazy and people might disagree with me, but I think the look isn’t bad. It kind of works in a more is more way! Of course, the easy option would have been to wear a black simple top and/or all black shoes. However, the prints are all practically the same and thank God, only black and white. Even though her hair looks pretty, I think she should have worn a disheveled low side pony or something with maybe smaller earrings.

43. Dizzle says:

why is she still going out in public? no no and no. Her stylist needs to be fired.

44. Kitty says:

HATE IT on ashanti, don’t exactly love it on Kim but if I had to choose I would pick Kim only because a shoe like that has to be paired up with something simple or balanced out with another print.

45. A says:

Ashanti has never been able to dress and never will be..
    Fail..
    Ok it’s not that bad, but I think the earrings just throw me off.

46. Katherine says:

EVERYTHING IS ALL WRONG. THESE SHOES ARE KILLING ME -_____-

47. mamareese says:

Oh girl this looks like Alice and Wonderland’s Mad Hater exploded……no no no.

48. DIVA says:

what was she thinking ????—too many things…. none of them good