February 26th, 2013
Fashion, Fashion News, Obama Family
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

beyonce pmk isabel marant sneakers
Isabel Marant wedge sneakers couldn’t stay on the shelves after Beyoncé famously wore a pair in her Love on Top video. The fly footwear has since been spied on every fashion it girl; so it only made sense for Queen King Bey to get a pair made especially for her. In comes PMK Customs, a custom sneaker company, privileged with the task of creating said kicks.The folks over at PMK were reportedly, “Summoned by King Bee and given the task to create a custom design worthy of her approval.” Aptly named “King Bey”, the wedge sneakers are made from stingray, ostrich, anaconda skins, calf hair, and crocodile.
Fashion-News-PMK-Designs-Beyonce-King-Bey-Isabel-Marant-Sneakers

We all know Beyoncé loves her some Isabel Marants. These are pretty hot if you ask me! What do you think? (Fashion Bomb Inbox)

85th Annual Academy Awards - Arrivals

• Quvenzhané Wallis has been taking Hollywood by storm ever since her Academy Award nominated role in Beasts of the Southern Wild. On top of her debut acting success, the 9-year-old actress recently snagged the lead in the Will Smith backed Annie remake. However, it seems not everyone is a fan. The Onion, notorious for their satirical remarks, made an inappropriate comment about Little Q on Twitter: The-Onion-Tweets-inappropriate-comment-about-quenzhane-wallisAs you can imagine, the backlash was quick and severe. Before long, Onion CEO Steve Hannah’s email address was released, with the outraged being encouraged to forward their grievances. One commenter brought up the issue of race, stating, “Quvenzhané Wallis is a nine year old woman of colour. Let’s let what @TheOnion did sink in and remember that Dakota Fanning never had this.”  Within an hour the tweet was noticeably removed from their feed. Hannah has since gone on to offer his apologies via Facebook, “On behalf of The Onion, I offer my personal apology to Quvenzhané Wallis and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for the tweet that was circulated last night during the Oscars. It was crude and offensive—not to mention inconsistent with The Onion’s commitment to parody and satire, however biting.” Read the full statement here. What do you think of the Onion’s apology? (The Hollywood Reporter/ Facebook)

Janet-Jackson-Gets-married

Janet Jackson exclusively told Entertainment Tonight that she has wed her billionaire fiancé  Wissam Al Mana. Rumors of the pair planning a lavish wedding have been swirling for quite some time, so Janet and Wissam decided to put the gossip to bed saying, “The rumors regarding an extravagant wedding are simply not true. Last year we were married in a quiet, private, and beautiful ceremony. Our wedding gifts to one another were contributions to our respective favorite children’s charities. We would appreciate that our privacy is respected and that we are allowed this time for celebration and joy. With love, Wissam and Janet”. Congrats! (ET Online)

• In honor of her Let’s Move campaign, First Lady Michelle Obama stopped by Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and busted out a few moves in an “Evolution of Mom Dancing” bit. A couple takeaways: Jimmy looks beautiful in drag, and Michelle Obama hits a mean Dougie. (YouTube)

Humans-of-New-York

• DKNY inadvertently stole photos from Humans of New York and placed them in their Bangkok store. Brandon Stanton, the New York street photographer responsible for founding HONY, took to his Facebook to air the company out:

Several months ago, I was approached by a representative of DKNY who asked to purchase 300 of my photos to hang in their store windows “around the world.” They offered me $15,000. A friend in the industry told me that $50 per photo was not nearly enough to receive from a company with hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue. So I asked for more money. They said “no.”

Today, a fan sent me a photo from a DKNY store in Bangkok. The window is full of my photos. These photos were used without my knowledge, and without compensation.

I don’t want any money. But please SHARE this post if you think that DKNY should donate $100,000 on my behalf to the YMCA in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. That donation would sure help a lot of deserving kids go to summer camp. I’ll let you guys know if it happens.

DKNY has since released this statement apologizing for the mix-up and offering to make a $25,000 donation to the YMCA in Bedford-Stuyvesant. What do you think? (Humans of New York Facebook)

anja-rubik-giuseppe-zanotti

• Model Anja Rubik has collaborated with Giuseppe Zanotti on a capsule collection. The footwear line is said to be comprised of 5 styles influenced by Anja’s musical favorites, David Bowie and Debbie Harry. “I love that period in music. I’m a huge Bowie fan. People have said I look like him, which is honestly the biggest compliment. I think it’s the high cheekbones. His style was so bold and brave and his music so honest. The whole collection is very personal to me, there is a real story behind it.” She tells Vogue UK. As to be expected, the price points are high, ranging from $725-$1,800. View a behind-the-scenes shoot here. (Vogue UK)

The British Fashion Awards 2012 - Drinks Reception

• It girl Cara Delevingne understands there is much power in her name. The model who has been spotted on the runways of top designers, and partying with the likes of Rihanna and Rita Ora, has trademarked her name. After registering her moniker with the Intellectual Property Office, she set up Cara & Co. with her father Charles Delevingne, which now has “sole rights to use it as a marketing tool”. (Grazia)

• Kanye West may or may not be slowly losing his mind. Let us pray. (Rap-Up)

~Cliché

48 Responses to “The Fashion Bomb News Breakdown: PMK Customs Designs “King Bey” Isabel Marants For Beyoncé, The Onion Apologizes For Inappropriate Remark About Quvenzhané Wallis, and Janet Jackson Marries Fiancé”

1. Ni says:

Yikes…*are father which art in heaven…*

2. George says:

Love me some Beyonce! She looks great!!

3. TVF says:

The sneaker wedge trend is onto its way out. Give them another couple months…

It was only a matter of time before The Onion apologized. Whoever tweeted that should be terminated. The nerve…

Who would want to steal or copy Cara Delevingne’s name. Like, I can barely pronounce that.

4. Melly Mels says:

Love the sneakers …but damn thats a lot of animals, bring on PETA
    I’m so happy of Janet… and I just have no words for Onion’s ignorance
    I love Cara but yeah that wasn’t necessary
    Last but not least Kanye….yeah that’s all I have to say

5. bree says:

Kanye west is crazy lol

6. Yashi says:

Now (sips tea) THATS who Janet should have a baby with…I know she’s a tad bit old to be having a baby, but I’m sure the ovaries are in working order bless her heart. Beside the baby would be cute…Imagine her and JD having a little JD………….Chile

7. Archel says:

HAHA @TVF yeah I choked twice and gave up on the name.

8. Trish says:

Michelle Obama, so cute!

9. yall going to get this says:

For an individual that can’t even talk with PETA or any other animal organization, Beyonce definitely knows how to offend. I mean does she even consider the alternatives at all? Smh The shoe does look nice but the material is too much for my liking and its doesn’t really add to anything.

As for the Onion, REALLY? The reason why Dakota Fanning doesn’t have that type of recognition is because she decided to work with projects like the Twilight saga where they over-hyped yet another untalented act in Hollywood named Kristen Stewart. RACE never benefits blacks and they know that yet whenever they can discredit our exceptional talent,they don’t miss an opportunity. Even if they have no reason at all.

10. Empress says:

Calling a 9yr old girl a cunt? SMFH

11. Personally (and hopefully) I believe the wedged sneaker trend is here to stay. It’s a new staple. Nike and all the mainstream brands have only started to bring their versions out, so it’ll be around for a good few years at least (if they are to go out of fashion).

I love them so much. I have 5 pairs and counting…

:)))))))

12. Madison says:

I can say with conviction that Michelle Obama epitomizes true beauty, style, grace and humility. Just admire everything about her!

Kanye morphed from being arrogant to a jackass to a total loser. Kanye is a cunt lol.

DKNY shame on you for stealing that man’s work.

The onion stinks. So sick of these racist pigs.

13. loverly says:

Love Bey’s custom wedges.

Why is Janet’s husband so fine? *sighs*

DKNY is full of ish. That man asked for proper compensation for his work, they didn’t like it, and they used his photos anyway. Now it’s a “mix-up”?? That’s all PR. At least the Bed-Stuy YMCA gets something out of it.

Kanye ain’t been right since his mom passed. He needs therapy. (I’m not joking.)

14. My Response says:

I dont get why they have to use so many animals or any animals at all just to make a pair of sneakers. I love wedge sneakers. \I don’t see them on their out anytime soon :/

15. Asia Monique says:

That sneaker: amazement.
    The Onion: tsk.
    The mom dance: hilarity.
    The Capsule collection: YES for David Bowie!
    Kanye: that is expected.

16. mi manning says:

“cunt” is a bit extreme…but i don’t think race has anything to do with it. That little girl comes off as a sarcastic jerk! And I’m black and I feel this way! She’s an a******!

Janet…good job sista! Show us how to get a man in he billionaire boys club! You and Naomi!

17. yall going to get this says:

The news of DKNY doesn’t shock me, they should respect his wishes. I mean won’t you invest in the city, you already cashed out on someone’s intellectual property based on the city.

I feel sorry for Kanye because he’s insecure (always has been) and his mother’s passing probably only added to it. Also he’s surrounded by money and fame seekers from his Watch the Thorne colleague to his girlfriend. He has distracted himself but it’s an issue he has to tackle not just for his careers credibility but for his own peace of mind.

18. yall going to get this says:

19. yall going to get this says:

My heart aches for Kanye. I hope he gets the peace that he so desperately needs.

21. yall going to get this says:

Congrats Janet!!!! She should consider giving PR tips to some of these celebs cause she’s forever mastering keeping her life private :-)cause she’s forever mastering keeping her life private :-)

22. Melissa says:

Yikes…I can hear PETA mixing up some batches of paint for Bey riiiiiight now.

I love and live for the FLOTUS, shame on DKNY and double shame on The Onion. I hope whoever wrote that crude tweet was fired. I don’t care who it is, children are children. A cunt? really?! People are sick.

And speaking of sick…Kanye needs to go on a Eat, Pray, Love trip or something. The only thing separating him from the bums that yell and scream in the subway are those millions…and that won’t last forever. Get some help, Ye.

23. Crystal says:

Janet is definitely in control! I’ve never claimed to be an animal rights advocate but those shoes are ridiculous. Seems like someone was on a mission to go down in history for creating the most outlandish expensive pair of sneakers. SMH.

24. Crystal says:

Don’t come for Ye now, y’all have been praising every move he makes and calling his foolishness ‘art’ for years.

25. tasha says:

I love Beyonce’s shoes. Anyone who is screaming about peta I hope they are a vegan and own no clothes nor products test on animals before they say anything.

Michelle video is funny.

Been praying for Ye since he lost his momma. Kim went and had a baby by him and not even thinking Ye can be mentally ill and what effects that has on their child. smh

26. Snailz says:

@ NI – it’s “Our” honey.. lol

27. Debbie says:

Okay I watched the video I didn’t see anything I dont think its that serious he drop a mic not jump of a bridge …I think ppl are reading too much into it … Like his music …Cara is good model ..nothing special…congrats to Janet …love her..cute couple… The cunt comment was just not right…bullying a kid as an adult …shame

Oh and congrats to Janet!

29. The Onion was stupid for that Tweet. What they meant to say was Q could use some media training. When she’s on the red carpet she seems like she doesn’t really understand how to answer questions and sometimes comes off as a little girl with an attitude. I noticed it while back, this is something that her people/mom should have corrected a long time ago. Moving on…the custom wedges are ugly. Kanye West is certified cray and Michelle Obama is the cutest FLOTUS ever!

30. PS. How does the photographer say he was paid $15,000 and say he wasn’t compensated well enough and the pics were used without his permission. When you cashed that check to pay them bills when $15,000 seemed like a great offer they had all the permission in the world, right? People kill me.

31. KBS says:

I’m lol@mi manning calling that child a a@@—-. I haven’t really heard her speak, but if she’s anything like that Jayden Smith, I understand where you are coming from.

I refuse to be mad a Janet! I’d marry that man then divorce him just to marry him again.

If I paid to attend that Kayne show I’d demand for a full refund. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

32. Cliche says:

@sun.kissed of 8ty4 Vintage, he said he was offered (not that he accepted) $15,000. He went back to negotiate greater compensation and they declined.

33. Diazon says:

@sun kissed

He DIDN’T take the money from them. They offered 15000 he said it wasnt enough and turned it down.

34. yusufswifee says:

love the sneakers – standby for peta!

35. Georgia says:

Those sneakers are grotesque–like a foot zoo.
    That Onion writer is grotesque – you better believe a casual disregard for black people was underlying that kind of disrespect toward a young black girl. I did not take it as criticism gone wrong, but rather sarcasm that entirely missed the mark and a joke that wasn’t funny. I read this morning the writers are crying foul that the Onion apologized. To a nine-year old. Being a comedian, writer, or artist isn’t a complete free pass. You still live in a society.

But to throw in some fashion, Michelle O. is wearing two J.Crew spring sweaters!

36. Ebonylove says:

LLS @ Kanye!

37. @Cliche, thanks for clearing that up!

38. Nicki says:

ALLLLL those animals dead for Beyonce to wear the shoes a maximum of 5X…I hate how we feel we have the right to kill whatever we want for the dumbest things…

39. Jc says:

Doesn’t seem like an inadvertent use if HONY was previously asked permission. Sees like an intentional move to disregard, disrespect, and exploit a non commercial photographer by a big corporation who thought no one would notice.

40. Ronnie says:

What in the world are you all saying? That little girl is funny and witty! She has never had an attitude and I think I’ve watched about every interview I could on her because I adore her. You have to imagine shes a little girl who didnt even know what she was signing up for at 5 and now shes doing interviews were shes answering the same questions for the 1000th time and little kids in general are impatient!Still she does it with grace, manners and says thank you!! Shes just not shy, That does not make her cocky!

41. Jei says:

I am here for FLOTUS. I admire Michelle Obama so much and it’s such an honor to be a part of this amazing Black history. Thee coolest First Lady ever ijs.

The Onion…where do I even start? Whoever tweeted that should be fired. The girl is 9, really? It’s just sad that as far as we have come, that racism still exists.

Ms. West. Have several seats.

42. klaclassic says:

I really like the color and different textures but it*s a bit too much. In this case simple is best…..back to the drawing broad King Bey! ;-)

43. klaclassic says: