• While most people were watching President Obama’s State of the Union address last night to hear his plans for the future of America, others were all too concerned with First Lady Michelle Obama’s choice of attire. Her ensemble consisted of a Jason Wu Pre-Fall 2013 black and oxblood sheath; a look that revealed her bare arms.
The ever vocal and critical folks on Twitter voiced their opinions, saying her fashion choice was inappropriate. While some felt it was a bit revealing, others like, Vanessa Friedman of the Financial Times had another criticism. “It’s not exactly an ‘I feel your pain middle class’ approach (sic her husband’s speech), which is interesting.” said Friedman, alluding to the fact that Mrs. Obama’s dress isn’t available for purchase just yet. She did make one point, which I found particularly interesting: if Mrs. O continues to wear Jason Wu, will we lose interest and focus less on what she’s wearing? (Fashionista)
• Mugler designer Nicola Formichetti styled Kim Kardashian for March 2013 editorial in ELLE’s magazine. In a preview, we see Kim rocking a biker jacket with big hair and severe brows, along with a few soft, more glamorous shots. What do you think? (Grazia)
• Topshop collaborated with Google to create ‘The Future of the Fashion Show’; a project that will offer Topshop’s online audience access previously reserved for fashion insiders. There will be a “Model Cam” placed on select models, allowing the home viewer to see the show through the eyes of the model as they make their way down the runway. Taking it a step further, Google+ will then offer its viewers exclusive video diaries from Jourdan Dunn, Cara Delevingne, Rosie Tapner, and Ashleigh Good. The ‘Road to the Runway’ series will follow the models from their first fitting up the moment they hit the catwalk. On the YouTube end Topshop will broadcast the show live and offer a “red carpet hangout”, allowing the viewers to experience the arrivals of the guests. I’m interested to see how this plays out! (Telegraph)
• Just for fun, check out this video of Beyoncé and Solange dancing at the after party of last night’s Life is But A Dream Premiere. (YouTube)
• There must be something in the water, because it’s definitely baby season! Actress Penelope Cruz just announced she is expecting her second child with husband and fellow actor Javiar Bardem. In a statement to Spanish television station, TVE, she said she’s, “tremendously happy and excited.” Congrats! (Vogue UK)