February 12th, 2013
Fashion, Party, Style Inspiration, What to Wear
Winter 2013 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to Prom
By The Fashion Bomb Staff

Reader Nina writes, “Dear Fashion Bomb people, first of all I’d like to say that I am a great fan of this site!! I visit everyday for inspiration, but I’m having trouble finding prom dress ideas. It’s my senior year and I’d like to look glam, wearing something long, a coral or golden color? Please help!! I found an iCandy Couture dress that fits this description but my folks say its too seductive, but I’ve fallen deep in love!! Please help me find a replacement relationship with a bomb prom dress, sincerely, Nina :)”

Hey, Nina! I would love to help! First, I wouldn’t recommend an iCandy Couture dress for the actual prom. Considering they tend to skew saucy, I’d say save that level feistiness for the after party! :)

I cooked up few ensembles that are mindful of what we’ve been seeing on the red carpets this award season.

Style-Inspiration-What-to-Wear-to-Prom-1 copyThis first look plays into the number 1 trend this season: black and white contrast. There’s always something chic about a black and white gown, and I’m loving this $95 Dillard’s beauty (a steal!). Pair it with a pair of strappy sandals, a simple mani, and you’re set!

I went with a pretty coral gown for look number 2.
Style-Inspiration-What-to-Wear-to-prom-3

The beauty about this dress is that it appears simple, but it features a low cut back. Sometimes sex appeal is most appealing when there’s just a hint of it; a tease. For the accessories, try these gold leaf earrings, and gold clutch.

Next up is golden glamour.
Style-Inspiration-What-to-Wear-to-Prom-4

I love love love a gold gown! Keep things interesting by going for bold eye makeup, and emerald earrings. A nice updo would make this ensemble perfection!

I’ve noticed a few stars opting for navy blue over black, so I gave it a shot with this final look.
Style-Inspiration-What-to-Wear-to-PromThis is a bit of a departure from traditional prom attire, and I suppose that’s what I love. A navy blue dress paired with embellished pumps, and a bold red lip would be hot!

There you have it, Nina! These were merely a few suggestions, take it and make it your own! I hope it helped!

~Cliché

Posted In
15 comments

15 Responses to “Winter 2013 Style Inspiration: What to Wear to Prom”

1. KBS says:

These are all cute, but 18year olds don’t want to wear this. Except for the last blue short one, these are too mature for most high schoolers I think. They want cut outs and holes in the dress.

2. lola A. says:

isnt prom in the summer around may?

@ Lola, girl my little sister been looking for a prom dress since last year.. And they dresses are too mature for some teens. I know my dress was long, but lord I had all my boobs out *ashamed face* lol

I have no service in the library to share this with someone via text… But the kid beside breath smells soooo bad I can smell it through his nostils… Oh LAWD

4. SAW says:

omg.. ICAndy website look soooooo cheap.. Baby Girl Don’t do it to yourself. Thats a waste of money sweetie. .. a good website for prom dresses is http://www.edressme.com

5. Bianca says:

I love your choices… great looks

6. He’ll no to those iCandy dresses. No 18 year old should even be thinking about purchasing those. That said, the dresses in this post don’t say prom to me. This looks very late 20′s and over.

7. TVF says:

I don’t know what dresses y’all looking at but I would have LOVED to wear the gold one to my senior prom. At sixteen I wanted to look sparkly, sexy and glam. The black and white dress- I would have died and gone to heaven especially at $99 bucks.

Thanks for this post Claire, took me back to 2005the lol

8. lovely picks. too bad no one wants to look regal and would much rather look like bad girls club/stripper instead.

9. binks says:

the first, third and last say prom to me. The preach dress not so much.

10. AzizMom says:

I loved the options Cliche! I’m about to have my h.s. 20th reunion so you can do the math on when I went to prom. It was all fuscia, sequins, ruffles and short! Dyeable shoes too! LMAO. These options are very sophisticated, but based on those “handmade” threads these girls end up wearing…we’ll just want and see the newspapers/blogs/sites to post this Spring.

11. Andie says:

If I ha a do-over the gold would be my pick

12. Jennifer says:

idk what happened to prom if these looks aren’t appropriate because I LOVED them {minus, ironically, the last}.

13. Hunnykelow says:

02′ wouda rocked dat black in white…I love Style Inspiration

14. Fifi says:

Im so dissapointed these are the plainest prom dresses I have ever seen in my life. @KBS the girls from where I am from have gotten over the slutbag trend of wearing those dresses that only cover the essentials. Now people are looking more classy, since the class of ’11. However nobody wants to look like a boring grandma. Mermaid style dresses seem to be the trend now.